Goriginal Content

EoD - Happy release!

EoD - Too big & loud

Smash Wii U review

Adventure Time rev

Pokemon AS review!

EoD - Instagram fun
 

Pokedex 3D Pro gets a rather hefty price

Coming from a pamphlet in Pokemon Black/White 2...



Holy crap, that's just a tad pricey! Looks like Nintendo is using that Pokemon brand to reel in the big bucks! Thanks to Mdee for the heads up.

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
36 total comments (View all)
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 13:55

You know what's an even better option? Paying nothing and having access to all that information through websites and ipod apps. You can't even access this Pokedex's information while in-game, unless you're playing the game on a different DS.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 14:01

Just think about all the content you are getting.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 14:18

Pokedex 3D Pro: $14.99

Bulbapedia: FREE!

Yeah, no.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 14:46

@GulAtiCa
@Rilf

No. We had absolutely NO price given to us and this goes for everyone else, we didn't find the price out until last week when someone got the game early at Target and Serebii/PokeBeach posted news about it.

Nintendo kept mentioning the games but never the price in any of the press releases.

A lot of people assumed it'd be $15 though because of the way NOA translates yen (1500 yen is closer to $20, but they usually make it as $15 here).

And it doesn't matter if it has "all the Pokemon". It's not a game. It's an app and the last one was free, so $15 is a huge jump just for what basically amounts to Photoshopping Pokemon into pictures.

@Blakexd9

But that's just it. You're not. You're getting all the stuff from the free app, and then "Quizzes" and "The rest of the Pokemon". It's an app for taking pictures. The Pokedex info itself is absolutely USELESS for multiple reasons:

1. It's a full month after the games came out. Meaning nobody's going to need it. Most people will have bought the guide already as well, which has all the same info.

2. All of the information in it is available FOR FREE on Bulbapedia or Serebii.

3. You can't view it while playing the game (Black 2/White 2) to look at it, unless you have 2 3DS (or a DS+3DS) running at the same time, which is stupid.

It's not worth $15.

@mbh911

New content:
- A few new backgrounds
- All the Pokemon (and forms)
- A bunch of quizzes like the Quiz Minigame in Pokemon Stadium 2.
- A voice says the Pokemon names

And you get them all from the start, so there's no "Oh man, what Pokemon did I get today?"

@shadowbuster

It's like $3-4 more. Doesn't change that $15 is awful for the content and how you can get 90% of it for free.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 14:46

15 dollars? Someone's cheap.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 14:55

The way Nintendo see it is that it's a digital strategy guide

It provides a very indepth look at all Pokémon, moves and everything as well as 3D modes, the Pokémon Challenge quiz (that has trillions of combinations) and the AR Viewer. It is priced accordingly to strategy guides, and is cheaper than its paper National Pokédex counterpart
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 14:56

I still plan on getting it, but I will wait to see if some kind of promotion comes around. Maybe an eShop sales or an offer via Club Nintendo or something.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 15:07

Jeez! I don't know about getting it now. I have a bit over 18 dollars on my account that I don't remember how it got there (I guess that part is good), but then that would be ALL I can get from it. I guess I'll buy other things.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 15:07

Serebii wrote:The way Nintendo see it is that it's a digital strategy guide

It provides a very indepth look at all Pokémon, moves and everything as well as 3D modes, the Pokémon Challenge quiz (that has trillions of combinations) and the AR Viewer. It is priced accordingly to strategy guides, and is cheaper than its paper National Pokédex counterpart

This would be reasonable (okay, no it wouldn't,) if there were more details than what a Pokedex could do. For example, what do the maps look like? Where can I find secret items? What kind of Pokemon do these trainers have? How strong are the trainer's Pokemon? They don't tell you that, but the strategy guide does. As for the paperback National Pokedex, it's almost unnecessary with the advent of the internet. You can just go to Bulbapedia, or even Google, and it will give you all the details of the Pokemon. You don't even need a computer to do it. You could just get your iPhone, your game console, and even the 3DS can look up the Pokemon you need information on through the browser.

And with the Paperback, at least you can look at it whenever you want. With the Pokedex Pro, this would involve shutting off the game, going back to the 3DS menu, look at the Pokemon's stats through the app, and then restart the game. It's a waste of money.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 15:09

Serebii wrote:The way Nintendo see it is that it's a digital strategy guide

It provides a very indepth look at all Pokémon, moves and everything as well as 3D modes, the Pokémon Challenge quiz (that has trillions of combinations) and the AR Viewer. It is priced accordingly to strategy guides, and is cheaper than its paper National Pokédex counterpart



The difference is that you can look at a paper strategy guide (or your website and/or bulbapedia) simultaneously while you play the game.

You can't multitask or keep apps/games running in the background when you're playing a DS game on the 3DS. So you have to actually quit the game, open the pokedex, look at and remember whatever you wanted to know, and then quit the pokedex and load the game back up again. Rinse and repeat every time you need to know something.

It has to be one of the most counter-intuitive processes I've ever seen, tbh, and that alone is reason enough for me to not want to drop the price of a real strategy guide on it right now, especially already having Pokedex 3D for free, and not being entirely impressed because of the same problem.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 15:09

I saw this and thought "Oh ****". But I'll probably hold off for a price drop or even a review that tells me more about it. I really wanted it..
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 15:25

@melvin2898

You can get all of the stuff in this for free. That's why it is too expensive.

Not a single part of this can you NOT do on the computer in some way for no cost(You can photoshop Pokemon models into pictures, create/take similar quizzes, and find all of the information online).

Considering you can get actual GAMES for $15, and this is an app, no. Nobody's cheap. It's overpriced.

@Serebii

You can also find all the info on your own website, or Bulbapedia, and probably in better detail.

And with a book, or site, you can multitask the game and the information, whereas the app has to exit out of the game, or you have to have another 3DS or DS available so you can play on one and have the Pokedex open on the other.

And there's the fact it's not an actual book, so you don't get the physical object.

It's counter-intuitive AND it releases a month too late. It doesn't even make sense from a selling standpoint to NOT release it when people are drugged on hype and have to buy it because they're insane.

It's simply NOT worth it in the same sense that it doesn't make sense to pay for Xbox Live Gold to use Twitter, Facebook or Netflix/Hulu, etc when you can do those for free on the computer, and the Wii U/Wii/PS3 can perform most of these actions, as well as free online multiplayer.

You can't defend it regardless of what Nintendo's rationale is. It's overpriced for what it is and how you can easily get all the info for free.

The AR and Quiz stuff still don't justify the price. $5? Definitely. $10? Expensive, but not the worst. $15? Forget it. It's not worth it. Just like Pokemon Box.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 16:14

Game Freak needs to stop dragging their feet and get to work on a 3D Pokemon game.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 16:16

Phant0mG4m3r wrote:Game Freak needs to stop dragging their feet and get to work on a 3D Pokemon game.


1. They have said they'll stick with sprites where possible as they can be more artistic.
2. Pokémon generations always last 3-4 years. We've just recently hit the 2nd birthday of this one. I have no doubt that a 3DS Pokémon game, the start of a new generation, is in development. Patience.
3. GameFreak don't make every single Pokémon game. They only make the main ones. Pokédex 3D Pro was developed by Creatures Inc.
No Avatar
Anonymous
07 Oct 2012 17:44

It doesn't matter what the price is. You guys weren't seriously going to buy this app because of the information were you? Information-wise, we already knew it has no value. None. Whatsoever. It's all there on the internet.

Anyone who's buying this is buying it for the 3D models. And I will gladly pay $15 for those not only because I'm a fan, but because the first app was free and Nintendo could have charged 3-4 dollars for that. But they didn't because they knew a free App would reach more hands--hands that, if they enjoyed the free App, might possibly want to buy the paid App. In effect, I consider myself paying them back for the first app.
No Avatar
07 Oct 2012 17:58

$15 is, yeah, rather excessive. I was thinking it would be around $5, and even THEN I felt it wasn't necessarily worth the money.

Let's face it... all the info and usefulness of this app (and it is basically nothing but an app) can be found for free at Bulbapedia (with MORE info and MORE trivia) or any basic google search. Secondly, you can't even run Pokedex 3D while you play the game, making it largely useless for a quick and easy reference guide.

So, this is a $15 app that does nothing new (apart from 3D Pokemon), contains no useful information that can be easily read or viewed, and is already inferior to what a generalized wiki can offer fans.

Beyond even THAT... I already OWN all 649 current Pokemon, by legitimate means, so there's even less incentive for me to get this since all of them are already in my game, in my system, which is in my pocket.

I loved that the first Pokedex was free, but even THEN I only looked at each Pokemon maybe once or twice before putting it away for good.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 18:43

i can't believe they are making people pay $15 for what should already be in the game its self.
User avatar
07 Oct 2012 18:43

Sui-kun wrote:It doesn't matter what the price is. You guys weren't seriously going to buy this app because of the information were you? Information-wise, we already knew it has no value. None. Whatsoever. It's all there on the internet.

Anyone who's buying this is buying it for the 3D models. And I will gladly pay $15 for those not only because I'm a fan, but because the first app was free and Nintendo could have charged 3-4 dollars for that. But they didn't because they knew a free App would reach more hands--hands that, if they enjoyed the free App, might possibly want to buy the paid App. In effect, I consider myself paying them back for the first app.

The Hell are you? The Pokemon vigilante?

It was already confirmed that the price would exist. And most of us thought that it would cost around $5 and were willing to say that would have a been a fair price. Instead, it went beyond that and ended up being way too expensive. You say that the price is right, but look at this way.

Because of it's tag, it is now the most expensive digital-only eShop title in it's library. Think about that, wouldn't you rather have more than two games for that price? Rather than a app that you most likely will forget about?
User avatar
08 Oct 2012 08:46

Unless this baby can hook up to the PC boxes in my game and tell me the IVs and current EV spreads of all of my Pokémon, I don't know if I can justify the $15 for it.

I mean, I'm definitely spoiled by the iOS pricing scheme, but $15 is nearly half the cost of the game. I would much rather spend that money on other gems in the eShop.
No Avatar
08 Oct 2012 13:44

I love how it is five times more expensive than the other app with actual gameplay and an actual effect on your Pokémon game.

Although, I am a sucker and will be buying it anyway.
User avatar
11 Oct 2012 05:52

I've just had a thought. Every time someone mentions Pokemon using full 3DS models for the mainline games, someone else will say how time consuming and expensive it would be to make all the models and fully animate them. Well, I think it's quite possible that they're using this game to basically fund that process, since now they've got a full stable of 3D models ready to be animated.
User avatar
11 Oct 2012 07:25

Frank wrote:I've just had a thought. Every time someone mentions Pokemon using full 3DS models for the mainline games, someone else will say how time consuming and expensive it would be to make all the models and fully animate them. Well, I think it's quite possible that they're using this game to basically fund that process, since now they've got a full stable of 3D models ready to be animated.


Sounds very legit, actually. I don't think, however, that there will be a Main Pkmn game with fully 3D models. Butm who knows? :3
User avatar
12 Oct 2012 01:17

$15 is insane. They do know that Serebii.net and Bulbepedia exist - for free - for people to use?

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way