Goriginal Content

EoD - Backlog talk

GN Podcast #472

Xeodrifter diary #5

EoD - Game Shows

EoD - Leaks

GN Podcast #471
 

RUMOR - Devs down on Wii U at DICE, say projects being cancelled

Coming from Mario Wynands, the co-founder of Sidhe Interactive...

At DICE, nobody has been talking about the new Wii U projects they have started, only the Wii U projects that have just been cancelled. Platform is in serious trouble. Publishers and developers from the US, UK, France, Germany, and Australia mainly. Pubs and devs never recoiled from PS3 like they seem to be with Wii U (though this is anecdotal). There was always the confidence that the numbers would get there over time with PS3. I'm not sensing that with Wii U. I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions" over time. It only managed "tens of thousands". It is one of the top rated games for the platform.

Not the kind of news we want to hear. If true, let's hope Nintendo can turn things around at GDC. Thanks to Dim for the heads up!

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
202 total comments (View all)
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 13:02

donzaloog wrote:I hope so too. During the last direct, Iwata said that they were approaching things differently this gen, because they wouldn't be able to produce enough games following their old methods. I'm hoping to see a lot of JRPGs on Wii U. We need more Japanese flavoured games and a lot of variety on Wii U.


I agree on the J-Games. If Nintendo can't compete on the Western Developer font beyond Retro, Wayforward and the occasional European dev game, they need to go all out on the Eastern front. Nintendo needs to do its best to secure and possibly make exclusive, the biggest JRPG's in Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Persona. They need to get Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes on the system at launch and the next numbered Resident Evil game. Perhaps too little too late but I think a Wii U Minecraft port would be wicked. If Nintendo can establish itself as the system to play Japanese games on, while still retaining the yearly Madden/CoD ports, the system should do just fine. I figure it this way, the Gamecube sold 21 million systems in its five years. So lets to assume that these are the Nintendo fans who will support any system. If NIntendo just doubles that amount, the Wii U will have sold better than it and the N64. If the Wii U sells 2.5x more systems than the Gamecube, it will easily pass the SNES' final sales. If it sells 3X as many it will pass the NES. If anything, with the worldwide market and the emerging hotbeds of sales in South Korea and Brazil, I think Nintendo has a shot at passing the SNES lifetime sales easily.
No Avatar
10 Feb 2013 13:06

I also think Nintendo is on the right track with Monolith's new X game...its looking superb. If it can keep up the quality as it did with Xenoblade (which in my opinion was THE best JRPG of this generation) and bring over DQX they stand a great chance of starting things off right from the start on the RPG front.
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 13:15

I think they're on the right track. I agree that Nintendo needs to secure games like Hingdom Hearts 3, Metal Gear etc. And I think they're on the right track. Only time will tell though, because Nintendo could throw money at Square Enix for KH3, but Sony/MS will most likely be able to throw more.
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 13:47

highlar wrote:Its not just us that need more Japanese games on the Wii U...but the industry needs more Japanese games in general localized over there. Towards the end of this current gen of gaming, many well known Japanese developers have been saying that their gaming industry over there is in worse straights than we over here in the West. I don't want Japanese developers to start thinking of and making games like Western developers...but they have to kick it up a notch over there.

I think more Japanese companies...and western companies...should take lessons from Nintendo!


blame the Hardcore gamers for the lack of localization
the huge sales of Call of Duty, Madden, Halo and Grand Theft Auto put localization of japanese games to sluggishly slow standpoint
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 14:30

VinceFox wrote:
highlar wrote:Its not just us that need more Japanese games on the Wii U...but the industry needs more Japanese games in general localized over there. Towards the end of this current gen of gaming, many well known Japanese developers have been saying that their gaming industry over there is in worse straights than we over here in the West. I don't want Japanese developers to start thinking of and making games like Western developers...but they have to kick it up a notch over there.

I think more Japanese companies...and western companies...should take lessons from Nintendo!


blame the Hardcore gamers for the lack of localization
the huge sales of Call of Duty, Madden, Halo and Grand Theft Auto put localization of japanese games to sluggishly slow standpoint


the serious stagnation of japanese software is more to blame than your hated "hardcore gamers"
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 14:44

gtt wrote:
VinceFox wrote:
highlar wrote:Its not just us that need more Japanese games on the Wii U...but the industry needs more Japanese games in general localized over there. Towards the end of this current gen of gaming, many well known Japanese developers have been saying that their gaming industry over there is in worse straights than we over here in the West. I don't want Japanese developers to start thinking of and making games like Western developers...but they have to kick it up a notch over there.

I think more Japanese companies...and western companies...should take lessons from Nintendo!


blame the Hardcore gamers for the lack of localization
the huge sales of Call of Duty, Madden, Halo and Grand Theft Auto put localization of japanese games to sluggishly slow standpoint


the serious stagnation of japanese software is more to blame than your hated "hardcore gamers"


b/s my good sir
there are games worth localizing but the US publishers won't bother to localize because of the dangerous popularity of violent games [by dangerous i mean they are over saturating the market and there's too much of them - have u forgotten about E3 2012?]
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 15:29

VinceFox wrote:
b/s my good sir
there are games worth localizing but the US publishers won't bother to localize because of the dangerous popularity of violent games [by dangerous i mean they are over saturating the market and there's too much of them - have u forgotten about E3 2012?]


Here is the only thing that matters to publishers.

big fat piles of...

wait for it...

wait for it....

money!

big fat piles of money.

If you ever want to know the whys of which games get made or localized, there it is.

If EA thought they could sell 5 million copies of some weird japanese soccer RPG, that's what they would sell.
No Avatar
10 Feb 2013 15:37

I think I'm a little with VinceFox on this one. Western publishers just don't want to take a chance on anything "different" other than the "hardcore" games that get recycled year in and year out. He is right about E3 2012 too...it was even a running joke for a while after E3 went down how singular it was overall. The problem is not just in the West, though...Japanese developers don't want to risk promoting games/localizing games for over here, either. They will for Europe, but they won't take the extra effort to send them all the way over to the America's. Even if it has the same translation like Xenoblade! I'm perfectly happy with the British cast of Xenoblade Chronicles...its a great voice cast. I think it also helps that the game has a great script, too (it is very well written). NO developers (well, very few anyway) seem to want to take a chance beyond the "next big FPS" in America. Its a very sad state of affairs, but that seems to be the way things stand. What publishers don't seem to remember, though, is that if you let any kind of medium stagnate on the same kind of product over and over...the market becomes OVER saturated....consumers get bored... You sometimes HAVE to throw something different out there. Take a chance. If they don't, the video game market will not push forward. That's one reason I really missed games like Captain Rainbow or Another Code not coming to the West. They would have been a breath of fresh air after the next recycled CoD.
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 15:47

highlar wrote:I think I'm a little with VinceFox on this one. Western publishers just don't want to take a chance on anything "different" other than the "hardcore" games that get recycled year in and year out. He is right about E3 2012 too...it was even a running joke for a while after E3 went down how singular it was overall. The problem is not just in the West, though...Japanese developers don't want to risk promoting games/localizing games for over here, either. They will for Europe, but they won't take the extra effort to send them all the way over to the America's. Even if it has the same translation like Xenoblade! I'm perfectly happy with the British cast of Xenoblade Chronicles...its a great voice cast. I think it also helps that the game has a great script, too (it is very well written). NO developers (well, very few anyway) seem to want to take a chance beyond the "next big FPS" in America. Its a very sad state of affairs, but that seems to be the way things stand. What publishers don't seem to remember, though, is that if you let any kind of medium stagnate on the same kind of product over and over...the market becomes OVER saturated....consumers get bored... You sometimes HAVE to throw something different out there. Take a chance. If they don't, the video game market will not push forward. That's one reason I really missed games like Captain Rainbow or Another Code not coming to the West. They would have been a breath of fresh air after the next recycled CoD.


but they don't move enough units. Publishers aren't satisfied with being profitable, they want to be MAXIMUM PROFITABLE, even nintendo. The mentality among the big publishers is blockbuster or bust. NoA (and this probably comes from reggie's other busniess background) doesn't want to bring over anything that isn't going to do gangbusters and sell millions for years. EVEN IF IT MEANS NOTHING COMES OUT INSTEAD. In addition, NoA cares more about appealing to a higher percentage of their install base, and protecting any given month's release line up*. The game that appeals to the higher percentage gets released in the west, and that isn't quirky japanese games or JRPGs.

and there are very few more risk adverse companies in gaming than nintendo.

*example, in month A game 1 and 2 could come out. game 1 could appeal to 45% of the install base, and game 2 could appeal to 20%. even if there is little to no overlap in those groups, game 1 is going to get the release slot.
No Avatar
10 Feb 2013 16:04

That is true, gtt...and another thing that is wrong with the gaming industry as a whole. It lacks the expansive vision it had a decade ago. It is more concerned with the next big "blockbuster" than actually pushing the industry forward. Nintendo, in my opinion, cares more about advancing the industry than many western developers... But if you ask me, its more the publishers that care about "mega profits" than it is the developers. Developers have imagination...and want to see that imagination shown to all the gamers out there...but because it may not bring in multi-millions in sales, developers are adverse to pushing it out. This is a very sad, and unfortunate, turn which the industry has taken. It needs to change.
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 16:23

highlar wrote:That is true, gtt...and another thing that is wrong with the gaming industry as a whole. It lacks the expansive vision it had a decade ago. It is more concerned with the next big "blockbuster" than actually pushing the industry forward. Nintendo, in my opinion, cares more about advancing the industry than many western developers... But if you ask me, its more the publishers that care about "mega profits" than it is the developers. Developers have imagination...and want to see that imagination shown to all the gamers out there...but because it may not bring in multi-millions in sales, developers are adverse to pushing it out. This is a very sad, and unfortunate, turn which the industry has taken. It needs to change.


well, I have good news for you. it is slowly changing.
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 17:03

gtt wrote:
highlar wrote:That is true, gtt...and another thing that is wrong with the gaming industry as a whole. It lacks the expansive vision it had a decade ago. It is more concerned with the next big "blockbuster" than actually pushing the industry forward. Nintendo, in my opinion, cares more about advancing the industry than many western developers... But if you ask me, its more the publishers that care about "mega profits" than it is the developers. Developers have imagination...and want to see that imagination shown to all the gamers out there...but because it may not bring in multi-millions in sales, developers are adverse to pushing it out. This is a very sad, and unfortunate, turn which the industry has taken. It needs to change.


well, I have good news for you. it is slowly changing.


Explain how it's slowly changing even after the eye-opener of the damage the hardcore gamers had done to the industry that was E3 2012
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 17:06

VinceFox wrote:
gtt wrote:
highlar wrote:That is true, gtt...and another thing that is wrong with the gaming industry as a whole. It lacks the expansive vision it had a decade ago. It is more concerned with the next big "blockbuster" than actually pushing the industry forward. Nintendo, in my opinion, cares more about advancing the industry than many western developers... But if you ask me, its more the publishers that care about "mega profits" than it is the developers. Developers have imagination...and want to see that imagination shown to all the gamers out there...but because it may not bring in multi-millions in sales, developers are adverse to pushing it out. This is a very sad, and unfortunate, turn which the industry has taken. It needs to change.


well, I have good news for you. it is slowly changing.


Explain how it's slowly changing even after the eye-opener of the damage the hardcore gamers had done to the industry that was E3 2012


A) what are you talking about? you keep going on about this, but it seems to have no basis in reality.
B) digital distro is eliminating the need for publishers. If you can't see the difference between now, and back in the 90s, you are blind.
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 17:13

gtt wrote:A) what are you talking about? you keep going on about this, but it seems to have no basis in reality.


at E3 2012, The majority of games there are mostly laden with those that only appeal to the hardcore gamers
namely games with guns, blood, sexy time scenes, bouncy lady parts, gory death scenes and bland colors.. out of all of the show the only booth with ANY color or variety was Nintendo

The basis my friend is the principal of the matter
The damage the hardcore gamers caused as shown at last year's E3 was suppose to be a revolting eye-opener
To go even further, The damage they did was make violent/hardcore gamer aimed games sale by the buttload in return make good games like Retro Game Challenge fail to see prosperity in the US
It's all because of high profit from games like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield and Madden is where the problem we saw at last year's E3 started
It THEIR fault we're in this rut and WE must bring back balance with in the community and the industry or else we'll see 1983 all over again
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 17:50

VinceFox wrote:
gtt wrote:A) what are you talking about? you keep going on about this, but it seems to have no basis in reality.


at E3 2012, The majority of games there are mostly laden with those that only appeal to the hardcore gamers
namely games with guns, blood, sexy time scenes, bouncy lady parts, gory death scenes and bland colors.. out of all of the show the only booth with ANY color or variety was Nintendo

The basis my friend is the principal of the matter
The damage the hardcore gamers caused as shown at last year's E3 was suppose to be a revolting eye-opener
To go even further, The damage they did was make violent/hardcore gamer aimed games sale by the buttload in return make good games like Retro Game Challenge fail to see prosperity in the US
It's all because of high profit from games like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield and Madden is where the problem we saw at last year's E3 started
It THEIR fault we're in this rut and WE must bring back balance with in the community and the industry or else we'll see 1983 all over again


yea. that's e3 like, every year.

and you keep calling it damage, it's not, it's business. If retro game challenge and say, captain rainbow sold GTA, CoD, Halo numbers, that's what you would see lots of.

There is more variety and choice in gaming now, than at ANY time in my life(I'm 30). AND it's easier to find.
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 18:26

VinceFox wrote:
gtt wrote:A) what are you talking about? you keep going on about this, but it seems to have no basis in reality.


at E3 2012, The majority of games there are mostly laden with those that only appeal to the hardcore gamers
namely games with guns, blood, sexy time scenes, bouncy lady parts, gory death scenes and bland colors.. out of all of the show the only booth with ANY color or variety was Nintendo

The basis my friend is the principal of the matter
The damage the hardcore gamers caused as shown at last year's E3 was suppose to be a revolting eye-opener
To go even further, The damage they did was make violent/hardcore gamer aimed games sale by the buttload in return make good games like Retro Game Challenge fail to see prosperity in the US
It's all because of high profit from games like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield and Madden is where the problem we saw at last year's E3 started
It THEIR fault we're in this rut and WE must bring back balance with in the community and the industry or else we'll see 1983 all over again


We're not seeing 1983 all over again.

The reason why we saw 1983 was there was way too many consoles and way too many complete and a market flooded with utter garbage of games.

The market isn't anywhere near as flooded with garbage and with the internet and game reviews it's far easier to know if a game is worth a purchase or not.

The video game market is as healthy as it's ever been and will continue to be healthy. It's only "slowed" down as of late because of the typical late cycle fatigue of the current systems.

And the quality of games has been as good as it's been in years but you have to look to the indie and downloable game scene to see the entire picture. There is a ton of innovation and quality on platforms like Steam.

The "hardcore" gamers aren't killing the market. Nintendo games, sports games, and violent games have always sold well and will continue to sell well. Just like a big budget summer action movie will never win an Oscar but it will typically draw in far more money than the movie that did.
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 19:37

Jikkle, you forgot about E3 2012?
User avatar
10 Feb 2013 20:23

VinceFox wrote:Jikkle, you forgot about E3 2012?


E3 is a shell of it's former self and just a highlight of the biggest sellers not the industry as a whole. Most companies have their own little individual reveals over the course of the year like Nintendo has Nintendo Direct and Capcom has Captivate for example.

The market is plenty healthy for games that aren't the giants of the industry. The indie gaming scene has exploded and continues to grow and push the envelope of innovation on levels that we haven't seen in years.

And we've seen games like Xenoblade Chronicles, Demon Souls, and recently Ni No Kuni meet with surprising success with gamers and critics alike.

Just because they aren't on the front pages of magazines or gajillion sellers doesn't mean there isn't interest or there isn't a market for them.

Games like CoD are always going to be massive successes not because they are violent but because the offer competitive online multiplayer and everybody loves competitive games and online just takes that too a whole new stratosphere.

My entire point is there are plenty of quality gaming experience outside the giants of the industry. Get a decent computer, a PC Xbox 360 controller, and a Steam account and you'll find a lot of nifty little games that are worth the price of admission.
User avatar
11 Feb 2013 00:22

gtt wrote:
yea. that's e3 like, every year.

and you keep calling it damage, it's not, it's business. If retro game challenge and say, captain rainbow sold GTA, CoD, Halo numbers, that's what you would see lots of.

There is more variety and choice in gaming now, than at ANY time in my life(I'm 30). AND it's easier to find.



I don't know that I would say there is more variety and choice. There may be more mainstream consoles (as well as PC) now. But back in the 16 bit era especially, there was plenty of variety for my taste, not to mention more types of games that I actually wanted to play, as a gamer.

And fact of the matter is, he has a point. At least 6 major games that were "revealed" at E3 2012 were games with "shoot, find cover, shoot some more" mechanics. Even fucking Tomb Raider and Star Wars. You're right though in one sense. The big publishers see games with "Shootan" mechanics make booku bucks, and they order their own games to have the same thing going on "because that's what makes money". It's the same retarded syndrome that affects the movie industry. And, might I add, it is damaging to the industry. Perhaps not in terms of DOLLAR signs for corporations, but in terms of actual diversity in mainstream (IE not indie) releases, and actual creativity in game design? Yes, I would say it is rather damaging indeed.

Fact is, there are far less games that I'm actually interested to even bother giving a serious look these days, than there was 20 years ago. And many of the games that DO peak my interest, do happen to be at least published by Nintendo. Because they are one of the last companies that doesn't subscribe to the "if shooting stuff sells, make our games shooters" philosophy. They actually still make VIDEO GAMES. And I'm glad.
User avatar
11 Feb 2013 00:43

There's no video game future without Nintendo. These guys should support big N no matter what. If they know whats good for them.
No Avatar
11 Feb 2013 00:54

Well said, Devil_Rising. Well said.
No Avatar
11 Feb 2013 03:48

15-20 years ago most of us were probably kids or young teens, and gaming was this awesome new thing. Looking back on it though, can you honestly say every game you played as a kid was as good as you remember?

I mean, how many "Super ---" games were made for the SNES? I showed a diehard Nintendo-fan friend of mine a random list of shovel SNES titles, and his first reaction was "looks like a list of Wii shovelware". Did the same for NES games and he only guessed the platform right 'cause he recognized 1 game.

Now we have genres never before thought possible! We've got games like Flower and Journey, Mirror's Edge, and games about epic space battles between thousands of real people! We've still got platformers and RPGs, and we've still got adventure games. RPGs are hugely successful, Zelda and Mario still top charts, and Sonic's spread his wings Street Fighter had a huge comeback, and fighting games are still a thing that people host tournaments for. Mega Man had a huge hit with a retro downloadable game. Indie games are alive and doing better than ever. Kickstarter is a success. Playing with friends around the world is better than ever. There's an easy, legal way to replay all your old favorites again. We have legitimate communities for games/series now.

I wouldn't trade the current, or future, of gaming for even a million of the past. I'll take companies like XSEED over Accolade any day.
User avatar
11 Feb 2013 04:33

sonicspike41 wrote:15-20 years ago most of us were probably kids or young teens, and gaming was this awesome new thing. Looking back on it though, can you honestly say every game you played as a kid was as good as you remember?

I mean, how many "Super ---" games were made for the SNES? I showed a diehard Nintendo-fan friend of mine a random list of shovel SNES titles, and his first reaction was "looks like a list of Wii shovelware". Did the same for NES games and he only guessed the platform right 'cause he recognized 1 game.

Now we have genres never before thought possible! We've got games like Flower and Journey, Mirror's Edge, and games about epic space battles between thousands of real people! We've still got platformers and RPGs, and we've still got adventure games. RPGs are hugely successful, Zelda and Mario still top charts, and Sonic's spread his wings Street Fighter had a huge comeback, and fighting games are still a thing that people host tournaments for. Mega Man had a huge hit with a retro downloadable game. Indie games are alive and doing better than ever. Kickstarter is a success. Playing with friends around the world is better than ever. There's an easy, legal way to replay all your old favorites again. We have legitimate communities for games/series now.

I wouldn't trade the current, or future, of gaming for even a million of the past. I'll take companies like XSEED over Accolade any day.




Sorry friend. But while you're more than welcome to your own personal opinion and taste, your argument really doesn't hold much water. I personally feel really sad for young gamers who look down on or claim to dislike old 2D classic gaming. If you can't respect and appreciate what came before, you can't lay much claim to game love now.

You're right that we have more now than we did then, because gaming is more mainstream now than it ever has been. However, that does not imply, in any meaningful way, that we have it "better" now than we did then. 20 year ago, yes, I was a kid, happily playing my NES, and later Game Boy and SNES. I was a child of the 80s and more a teen of the 90s, so personally I feel blessed as a gamer, to have been able to actually own an Atari 2600, and play classic Arcade games back when arcades meant something, and to then get my NES, which was my baby for years. I would never trade any of that for an Xbox 360 with a Platinum XBL account. Not ever.

Honestly, there really isn't much done today that hasn't in some form been done before, and to say that games like, what, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, Halo, God of War, GTA? What are you referring to that is so much better and brighter? Quite frankly, "back then", I think games had a hell of a lot more imagination and things weren't anywhere near so commercial. There was a massive amount of variety in gaming genres, and while no you couldn't play with people online, playing with your actual friends together in the same room worked just fine. Sonic spread his wings doing what? Most of his games since Sonic Adventure (which wasn't that great itself), have been fairly terrible, and just because Sega finally comes out with something half-decent like Generations, isn't huge cause for celebration. Street Fighter making a comeback? SFIV was a pretty good game, for sure, but it was no SFII, or SF Alpha, or X-Men vs. SF. RPGs of some sorts are popular now, FF always sells by it's name alone (though the series has gone WAY downhill), Skyrim was a huge hit, people seem to like Monster Hunter. But I wouldn't say RPGs are more popular than ever, not when you look back at the kinds of games SNES and Genesis alone had, Phantasy Star, Mario RPG, FF, Chrono Trigger, Shining Force, Secret of Mana, etc. Not to mention the RPG explosion on PS1. And Mirror's Edge? I'm not even gonna touch that one.

And yes, in all frank honesty, I CAN say that a vast majority of the games I loved the best growing up, are STILL great in my eyes, not just because of nostalgia, but because they're truly timeless, great games. Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Metriod, The Legend of Zelda, Kirby's Adventure, Castlevania, Mega Man 2, Street Fighter 2, Final Fantasy IV, Star Tropics, etc. etc. etc......yeah. They're still amazing. The majority of games that I have bought and enjoyed this past generation, were either retro STYLED games (such as Muramasa, A Boy and His Blob, Epic Yarn, 3D Dot Game Heroes, NSMBWii, Cave Story), or games that at least still had that "old school" feeling about them (Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Okami). Maybe that's just me. Or maybe most gamers in general still are drawn to what drew people to the classics all those years ago. The simple enjoyment of gaming. Not sitting and playing along with a playable quick-time event.

Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed my fair share of modern games. But no offense, I feel sorry for your friend who thought that the SNES library you showed him "sounded like Wii shovelware", or that he only knew one NES game. That's too bad. He should really learn better, because people who haven't ever really bothered to go back and experience those games, are really missing out on what, to a lot of people (myself included) was the greatest era of gaming. I'm just saying, I have nothing against people who prefer modern gaming, but I DO have a problem with people who look back on classic gaming with some kind of disdain or a sense that things are so much better now. Because in a lot of ways, they really aren't.
User avatar
11 Feb 2013 09:05

I enjoyed the classic games (and a lot of obscure nes games), and I enjoy and look forward to the modern games. No need to choose one over the other. Win-win.
User avatar
11 Feb 2013 11:51

SNES era is still my favorite era of gaming and it has my most cherished gaming memories. I was blown away with Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Link to the Past, and more I can't think of off the top of my head.

I believe the problem is that the NES/SNES/N64 era was when gaming was at it's freshest and where there were lots of untapped gaming experiences to be had. Once we entered the GC era and the current generation of systems there became less fresh and new experiences to be tapped.

I think Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are fantastic games and a much better game than Mario 64. But Galaxy and future 3D Mario games will never recapture that feeling of the first time seeing Mario in 3D and grabbing an N64 controller and running around with Mario in the castle courtyard. Just like we hold 3D Zeldas to that Ocarina of Time standard that it will never meet because you'll never have that sense of wonder and awe the first time you set foot on Hyrule Field and start exploring. And don't get me wrong Mario 64, OoT are fantastic games regardless of when they were released it's just for us who grew up with them there is an extra fondness due to them being the first of their kind.

So the people that feel the NES/SNES were the glory era of gaming aren't wrong it's just you would have to have experienced it first hand to really appreciate it. And that's the problem we old timers have is we tend to want to hold modern gaming to that standard and it's simply unfair to hold it to that standard.

We just need to appreciate that special era of gaming that some of us were fortunate enough to experience but not let that cloud our enjoyment of some of the fantastic and well made games that are out today.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way