Goriginal Content

Cult County chat!

EoD - Missed chance?

EoD - Waluigi time?

EoD - Mario where?

EoD - Which to buy?

Smash Direct wrap-up
 

Feb. 2013 NPD - software, accessories, analysis, Wii U sees 40% sales increase over Jan.



- 25 percent drop in industry sales
- total coming in at $810 million
- software sales (including PC) dropped 27 percent to $369.9 million
- hardware plummeted 36 percent to $244.2 million
- accessories fell back three percent to $213.9 million
- 455,000 units of Nintendo hardware was sold
- this pushed the 3DS past 8 million units to date
- Wii U sold 64,000 units minimum

"Though there was the same number of February launches in the top ten ranking as last February, collectively, February launches performed worse than last year with unit sales down 30 percent.

When combining the dollar value of Skylanders software as well as accessories, this property has generated over $600 million in the US since launching in October 2011, and sold $35 million in February alone. It will be interesting to watch how this dynamic of physical goods delivering digital content evolves with the launch of Disney Infinity later this year.

Looking at hardware sales on an average per week basis, all platforms showed an increase from January into February. Specifically, new platforms like the Wii U and PS Vita demonstrated some momentum from the typical January hardware lull with increases of over 40 percent and 30 percent, respectively." - NPD industry analyst Liam Callahan

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
29 total comments (View all)
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 18:53

Shaanyboi wrote:
PaperLink64 wrote:Aliens: Colonial Marines :lol:

I see even with being sold out everywhere, Fire Emblem still didn't make the list.

It was sold out everywhere because barely any copies even made it onto shelves... Nintendo completely botched getting this game into retailers. Even if the people who couldn't find it just got it on eShop, it wouldn't be tracked by NPD.


Anyways, even if the WiiU managed to rise to 80K, that is still totally abysmal. March should do something for it, but man... those launch months were completely squandered.


It's more like 79.8k~

57k x .4 = 22.8 + 57 = 79.8

But I assume people know basic math.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 18:54

Yeah, I know about the Fire Emblem shortages. Amazing how Nintendo of America undershipped the game that badly.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 18:55

KingBroly wrote:

It's more like 79.8k~

57k x .4 = 22.8 + 57 = 79.8

But I assume people know basic math.


Looking at hardware sales on an average per week basis, all platforms showed an increase from January into February. Specifically, new platforms like the Wii U and PS Vita demonstrated some momentum from the typical January hardware lull with increases of over 40 percent and 30 percent, respectively." - NPD industry analyst Liam Callahan


Per week basis, meaning it will be less than that as January had 5 weeks vs 4 in February.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:01

gbpackers31 wrote:
KingBroly wrote:

It's more like 79.8k~

57k x .4 = 22.8 + 57 = 79.8

But I assume people know basic math.


Looking at hardware sales on an average per week basis, all platforms showed an increase from January into February. Specifically, new platforms like the Wii U and PS Vita demonstrated some momentum from the typical January hardware lull with increases of over 40 percent and 30 percent, respectively." - NPD industry analyst Liam Callahan


Per week basis, meaning it will be less than that as January had 5 weeks vs 4 in February.


Oh, okay.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:06

Still a 40% increase is a 40% increase, Jesus Christ people were ready to write off Nintendo just because of one bad month. And that bad month happened to be the month when video games don't sell for sh*t anyways. This is good news to hear and hopefully it will put a sock in Pachters and the rest of the doom sayers mouths.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:06

PaperLink64 wrote:Yeah, I know about the Fire Emblem shortages. Amazing how Nintendo of America undershipped the game that badly.

The problem is that the previous game(s?) in this country didn't do well. Even though Shadow Dragon starred Marth, I saw lots of them selling new at Walmart for $12 some time down the road. As a consequence, the second DS game was the first to not leave Japan since they began to arrive in other territories, which was a shame.

Basically, they played it safe even though the game got amazing reviews.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:11

About FE, you guys should remember that some retailers simply refuse to store some games nowadays. Especially the more japanese looking ones.

We have this problem all the time in EU. Nobody wanted to get in their shelves say... Muramasa, most Megaman games, Etrian Odissey... etc. These games were incredibly hard to find in some EU countries.

On subject, the U sold something like 80K this month. Well that sucks. Having actual games to play and advertise the system would probably help.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:13

keyz wrote:Still a 40% increase is a 40% increase, Jesus Christ people were ready to write off Nintendo just because of one bad month. And that bad month happened to be the month when video games don't sell for sh*t anyways. This is good news to hear and hopefully it will put a sock in Pachters and the rest of the doom sayers mouths.


This, 40% is awesome when there has been like 3 releases since launch only, we are basically still playing launch games, after more than 3 months, that kind of sales with NO games, imagine when games start to get out in coming months...
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:18

@Vidaluko

I get your point but 80K is not a good number whichever way you look at it.

But it's not surprising given the context. That's for sure.
No Avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:20

Shaanyboi wrote:
PaperLink64 wrote:Aliens: Colonial Marines :lol:

I see even with being sold out everywhere, Fire Emblem still didn't make the list.

It was sold out everywhere because barely any copies even made it onto shelves... Nintendo completely botched getting this game into retailers. Even if the people who couldn't find it just got it on eShop, it wouldn't be tracked by NPD.


Anyways, even if the WiiU managed to rise to 80K, that is still totally abysmal. March should do something for it, but man... those launch months were completely squandered.

Are you always this negative? A 40% increase isn't too shabby, and there ARE more titles on the way that will hopefully shift even more units. As for Fire Emblem, the title has never done gangbusters here, plus the new iteration is available via download, so you can understand why retailers wouldn't have gotten very many physical copies.

I think people need to chill a bit regarding the numbers and Nintendo in general. We're only a few months after launch of the WiiU, after all.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:22

I think it's fair to be worried about the Wii U numbers now that it's currently trailing the GameCube, and March's releases are still slim pickings.
No Avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:32

keyz wrote:Still a 40% increase is a 40% increase, Jesus Christ people were ready to write off Nintendo just because of one bad month. And that bad month happened to be the month when video games don't sell for sh*t anyways. This is good news to hear and hopefully it will put a sock in Pachters and the rest of the doom sayers mouths.


unfortunately they won't shut up, because admitting they were engaging in hyperbole would be too humiliating for them. Best to just write them off and move on because they won't listen to reason. You'll be far happier once you do.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:37

changer1701 wrote:
Shaanyboi wrote:
PaperLink64 wrote:Aliens: Colonial Marines :lol:

I see even with being sold out everywhere, Fire Emblem still didn't make the list.

It was sold out everywhere because barely any copies even made it onto shelves... Nintendo completely botched getting this game into retailers. Even if the people who couldn't find it just got it on eShop, it wouldn't be tracked by NPD.


Anyways, even if the WiiU managed to rise to 80K, that is still totally abysmal. March should do something for it, but man... those launch months were completely squandered.

Are you always this negative? A 40% increase isn't too shabby, and there ARE more titles on the way that will hopefully shift even more units. As for Fire Emblem, the title has never done gangbusters here, plus the new iteration is available via download, so you can understand why retailers wouldn't have gotten very many physical copies.

I think people need to chill a bit regarding the numbers and Nintendo in general. We're only a few months after launch of the WiiU, after all.

I'm not going to try and spin negative numbers into something they're not... The data speaks for itself. A 40% increase sounds great, but that's not the whole picture. A 40% increase when the system was doing undeniably awful last month isn't something they should be proud of. Yes, games are absolutely coming, but unless LEGO City is a far bigger cultural zeitgeist for children and families than expected, none of March's games are going to suddenly turn this ship around, and there still aren't meaningful launch dates for a while after that.

Fire Emblem still did fine in the grand scheme of things. It did what, around 60k digitally? That's impressive. But that's not the issue.... The idea that it was somehow expected to make it into the NPD after the really poorly handled launch is pretty naive.
No Avatar
14 Mar 2013 19:57

I'm not going to try and spin negative numbers into something they're not... The data speaks for itself. A 40% increase sounds great, but that's not the whole picture. A 40% increase when the system was doing undeniably awful last month isn't something they should be proud of. Yes, games are absolutely coming, but unless LEGO City is a far bigger cultural zeitgeist for children and families than expected, none of March's games are going to suddenly turn this ship around, and there still aren't meaningful launch dates for a while after that.

Fire Emblem still did fine in the grand scheme of things. It did what, around 60k digitally? That's impressive. But that's not the issue.... The idea that it was somehow expected to make it into the NPD after the really poorly handled launch is pretty naive.

But, you have no problem spinning positive numbers the other way. No one is suggesting they be proud of those numbers, but a sales increase is a good thing, and I'm sure they'll take it. As a reminder, the whole industry is down...even with some marquee titles this month, software sales still decreased significantly over last year.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 20:01

@PaperLink64 nope. The gamecube had a little game called super smash bros melee out near launch. January and February had no games so of course the sales were low. March has quite a few games so the sales can only go up. Is the March NPD is still bad then yeah, get worried
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 20:07

changer1701 wrote:
I'm not going to try and spin negative numbers into something they're not... The data speaks for itself. A 40% increase sounds great, but that's not the whole picture. A 40% increase when the system was doing undeniably awful last month isn't something they should be proud of. Yes, games are absolutely coming, but unless LEGO City is a far bigger cultural zeitgeist for children and families than expected, none of March's games are going to suddenly turn this ship around, and there still aren't meaningful launch dates for a while after that.

Fire Emblem still did fine in the grand scheme of things. It did what, around 60k digitally? That's impressive. But that's not the issue.... The idea that it was somehow expected to make it into the NPD after the really poorly handled launch is pretty naive.

But, you have no problem spinning positive numbers the other way. No one is suggesting they be proud of those numbers, but a sales increase is a good thing, and I'm sure they'll take it. As a reminder, the whole industry is down...even with some marquee titles this month, software sales still decreased significantly over last year.

lol it's a new platform that has, for two months in a row, sold less than 100k, without anything even resembling supply constraints. What kind of reaction do you expect someone to have when reading this?
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 20:08

Fire Emblem did fine at almost 200k with a nice chunk of it being digital, which NPD doesn't count, and you have to remember it's hard for a single platform game to make it on the list now that it is multi-plat.

Anyways, increase no mean nothing, Wii u still d00m3d!
No Avatar
14 Mar 2013 21:01

Shaanyboi wrote:
changer1701 wrote:
I'm not going to try and spin negative numbers into something they're not... The data speaks for itself. A 40% increase sounds great, but that's not the whole picture. A 40% increase when the system was doing undeniably awful last month isn't something they should be proud of. Yes, games are absolutely coming, but unless LEGO City is a far bigger cultural zeitgeist for children and families than expected, none of March's games are going to suddenly turn this ship around, and there still aren't meaningful launch dates for a while after that.

Fire Emblem still did fine in the grand scheme of things. It did what, around 60k digitally? That's impressive. But that's not the issue.... The idea that it was somehow expected to make it into the NPD after the really poorly handled launch is pretty naive.

But, you have no problem spinning positive numbers the other way. No one is suggesting they be proud of those numbers, but a sales increase is a good thing, and I'm sure they'll take it. As a reminder, the whole industry is down...even with some marquee titles this month, software sales still decreased significantly over last year.

lol it's a new platform that has, for two months in a row, sold less than 100k, without anything even resembling supply constraints. What kind of reaction do you expect someone to have when reading this?

Two months...IN A ROW?!? That's it folks...this is just awful, because it didn't sell like hotcakes during a post-launch software lull in a time when sales across the industry are down and there are cheaper alternatives with far larger libraries. Of course, sales did go UP...but that's not positive. At all. Or something.

I expect Sony and M$ fanboys to have the reaction you did, I'll grant you that.
No Avatar
14 Mar 2013 21:06

The problem is people are looking at it from a short term perspective. The Wii U had no games launched in January or February. Why would it sell? Ports are currently priced highter than the systems that came before Wii U.

It's too early to be panicking. Not to mention its good to see sales increase with no marketing, not games, and a more expensive system than the other two out right now.

And however said it was tracking behind the Gamecube is misleading people. The Gamecube sold really well at the beginning then fizzled out. The Wii U is going to sell more than 20 Million units, you can bet that.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 21:14

Wonder if some of that increase is a reaction to the crappy Ps4 showing...
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 21:32

Shaanyboi wrote:
changer1701 wrote:
I'm not going to try and spin negative numbers into something they're not... The data speaks for itself. A 40% increase sounds great, but that's not the whole picture. A 40% increase when the system was doing undeniably awful last month isn't something they should be proud of. Yes, games are absolutely coming, but unless LEGO City is a far bigger cultural zeitgeist for children and families than expected, none of March's games are going to suddenly turn this ship around, and there still aren't meaningful launch dates for a while after that.

Fire Emblem still did fine in the grand scheme of things. It did what, around 60k digitally? That's impressive. But that's not the issue.... The idea that it was somehow expected to make it into the NPD after the really poorly handled launch is pretty naive.

But, you have no problem spinning positive numbers the other way. No one is suggesting they be proud of those numbers, but a sales increase is a good thing, and I'm sure they'll take it. As a reminder, the whole industry is down...even with some marquee titles this month, software sales still decreased significantly over last year.

lol it's a new platform that has, for two months in a row, sold less than 100k, without anything even resembling supply constraints. What kind of reaction do you expect someone to have when reading this?


Because NO GAMES notable released for Jan/Feb. How is that hard to understand? Consoles don't break over 100k a month if there aren't any games to drive up sales. March and beyond should hopefully be telling.
User avatar
14 Mar 2013 22:17

LegendofSantiago wrote:@PaperLink64 nope. The gamecube had a little game called super smash bros melee out near launch. January and February had no games so of course the sales were low. March has quite a few games so the sales can only go up. Is the March NPD is still bad then yeah, get worried


If March NPD numbers, the excuses will be:
1) LEGO City: Undercover released late in the month
2) Other games were ports

Nintendo of America needs to have a management change. Put Reggie in the warehouse for a week, so he can see that they aren't shipping games to stores properly (had this problem with the Wii, and it's continuing with the 3DS and Fire Eblem?).
Make the marketing team go take out the trash, clean the bathrooms, mow the grass...let the staff in those positions go to marketing and see if they can do any better (I doubt they could do much worse).

Nintendo of America has failed with much since the Wii U's launch, starting with their horrid demo stations in stores, and the ads.
User avatar
15 Mar 2013 03:03

The biggest surprise for me personally is Sly 4 charting! Why!? Because the game had ZERO advertising. No commercials, no advertising on the PSN Store, and I believe it was only mentioned on the PS Blog once on the day of release. There's still hope for B-tier games charting and it doesn't hurt that the game was $40 too.

Wii U isn't doing too hot. Not surprised. There's just no games and Nintendo is doing a terrible job at marketing it. It seems to me like it just doesn't have a specific target audience and it's just there. We'll see if the sales improve once actual games come out...
No Avatar
15 Mar 2013 04:28

I think Nintendo look at this period in the wiiu's life time as sort of a prerelease. Saving the big marketing push until they have really systemselling first party titles ready (3d Mario, new Zelda, SSB, MK etc). Maybe even coupled with a price drop around that time.
User avatar
15 Mar 2013 14:50

ronnande wrote:I think Nintendo look at this period in the wiiu's life time as sort of a prerelease. Saving the big marketing push until they have really systemselling first party titles ready (3d Mario, new Zelda, SSB, MK etc). Maybe even coupled with a price drop around that time.


Exactly. Nintendo did this with the 3DS and went after early adopters first, yet not many seem to realize this, or ignore it to troll. I believe there is even an article/interview where someone from Nintendo even says they plan to start a big marketing campaign once the games start rolling in.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way