Goriginal Content

Xeodrifter diary #5

EoD - Game Shows

EoD - Leaks

GN Podcast #471

Xeodrifter diary #4

Adventure Time pics!
 

Deep Silver says Dead Island: Riptide 'not worth releasing' on Wii U


So many answers to this question from both the devs behind the game and Deep Silver. This one really doesn't sit well with me. Thanks to Wordlife for the heads up.

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
26 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
20 Mar 2013 13:49

Lazy devs who don't want to invest time/resources into a Nintendo platform. Where have I seen this before?
No Avatar
20 Mar 2013 13:50

He's right bar the weapon system the first game was awful in so many ways.
No Avatar
20 Mar 2013 13:53

The first game was pretty much garbage. I don't think I made it past the lifeguard bungaloo mission before tossing it on the shelf.
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 14:17

@changer1701

Another gamer throwing around the word "lazy" without understanding the way the industry works. Read what Mike_Intellivision said, because he's right.

The devs are pretty sure they wouldn't make back their investment, and they're probably right. Not only is the WiiU unpopular with the demographic that would buy Riptide, it's a sequel to a game that hasn't appeared on a Nintendo platform.

Looking at it realistically, they'd be absolutely dumb to make a WiiU version.
No Avatar
20 Mar 2013 14:18

y'see, if you had just said this in the first place then maybe you wouldn't have looked like idiots who got caught lying.
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 14:25

I don't blame them though. It took them a while before Cursed Mountain released on Wii. It seemed like I was their only customer at the time. I even bought a copy a week before its official release at GameStop (they slipped). (Check the GoNintendo forums thread about this game) I still have multiple copies of that game because I love survivor horror. What was really sad was that the developer, Deep Silver Vienna, shut down soon after. Cursed Mountain was their first and only game. They're afraid the same thing would happen if they did bring Riptide over.
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 14:34

can't really blame em....
No Avatar
20 Mar 2013 14:42

I'd rather see this than lame excuses about why the game isn't coming out on Wii U.

If porting currently isn't considered financially viable due to a small install base and stiff competition for consumer dollars from first party games... well it sucks, but it's better to hear an honest response than feeding gamers a line of bull. Game development is a business, and there are real risks involved. Good on Deep Silver for being up front if business reasons are what prevented the game from being released.

What I don't like to hear:
* "Can't port to the 3DS because I don't want to use the 3D feature." - 3D is an optional feature, not a requirement.
* "Wii U can't run our engine." - Developer then comes out to say it totally does run on Wii U.
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 14:45

Roth wrote:I don't blame them though. It took them a while before Cursed Mountain released on Wii. It seemed like I was their only customer at the time. I even bought a copy a week before its official release at GameStop (they slipped). (Check the GoNintendo forums thread about this game) I still have multiple copies of that game because I love survivor horror. What was really sad was that the developer, Deep Silver Vienna, shut down soon after. Cursed Mountain was their first and only game. They're afraid the same thing would happen if they did bring Riptide over.



"What was really sad was that the developer, Deep Silver Vienna, shut down soon after."

I thought Sproiing, or whatever they're called, was the dev behind that game?
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 14:48

Wait, this Riptide thing is a full blown sequel? I thought it was DLC, or an expansion pack or something. Dang!

I didn't enjoy much of Dead Island. I bought into all the hype surrounding it's trailer, but even then I thought the game would be better. It was okay, aside from all that 'releasing a dev build' and all that, but it just wasn't any fun if you ask me. I got tired of it really quickly. If a Wii-U version had been made and made clever use of the GamePad, I might have picked this up.
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 14:53

gatorboi352 wrote:
Roth wrote:I don't blame them though. It took them a while before Cursed Mountain released on Wii. It seemed like I was their only customer at the time. I even bought a copy a week before its official release at GameStop (they slipped). (Check the GoNintendo forums thread about this game) I still have multiple copies of that game because I love survivor horror. What was really sad was that the developer, Deep Silver Vienna, shut down soon after. Cursed Mountain was their first and only game. They're afraid the same thing would happen if they did bring Riptide over.



"What was really sad was that the developer, Deep Silver Vienna, shut down soon after."

I thought Sproiing, or whatever they're called, was the dev behind that game?

Yeah it was Sproing Interactive together with Deep Silver Vienna, whom had also published it.
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 15:08

Well, when third parties refuse to cultivate a fanbase alike their PS360 fanbases, what do they seriously expect with these late and non-advertised ports selling as they do? Come on.
No Avatar
20 Mar 2013 15:41

Hawk wrote:@changer1701

Another gamer throwing around the word "lazy" without understanding the way the industry works. Read what Mike_Intellivision said, because he's right.

The devs are pretty sure they wouldn't make back their investment, and they're probably right. Not only is the WiiU unpopular with the demographic that would buy Riptide, it's a sequel to a game that hasn't appeared on a Nintendo platform.

Looking at it realistically, they'd be absolutely dumb to make a WiiU version.

And your background in the industry is what, exactly? I think I know dollars and cents, and the bottom line is that the risk here is relatively low. By your logic, we shouldn't have had any launch games outside of Nintendo's IPs- certainly not ZombiiU, Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed, etc.
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 15:55

The correct question should have been.

Are sony and microsoft paying for you not to release the game on Wii U?

that would have made more sense.
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 16:27

Hommy Maiden wrote:The correct question should have been.

Are sony and microsoft paying for you not to release the game on Wii U?

that would have made more sense.


Yeah cause they are going to answer a question like that, a better question I should have asked was;

Are the Wii U sales responsible?
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 16:51

Not surprised and this will probably be a large trend if Nintendo doesn't shape up at E3. Ah who am I kidding, does Nintendo ever get good third party support on anything but their portables? (which have no competition).
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 16:51

@changer1701

My background in the industry is as an artist for a game developer. But it doesn't take somebody working in the industry to see why you're wrong.

Those WiiU launch games were a risk, like all launch games are. And though the developers who made them won't tell you how well they sold, I think you'll find your answer when you look at how many additional games those developers plan to make for the WiiU. (answer: not many) Even the latest Just Dance didn't sell well on the WiiU.

So what's your reasoning on why Deep Silver isn't making the game for WiiU? They're lazy?

"Oh, we could TOTALLY make Riptide for WiiU, and we'd definitely get a lot of money from it, but we just don't wanna. I'm tired, and I gotta take my kid to the dentist, and it's almost the weekend."

No, there's no way market research told them that it wouldn't sell well enough on the WiiU to make up the cost. Good job catching them in their lies, changer1701. Maybe they'll get out of their hammocks and work if you send them a letter telling them about all that WiiU money floating around.
User avatar
20 Mar 2013 18:46

@Hawk
Thank You. At least some else gets it.

Anyone and everyone who uses the "lazy" argument has no tact or understanding of how the world works outside of their little bubble they seem to live in.
No Avatar
Anonymous
20 Mar 2013 19:54

@Hawk
Good to see someone actually understands that a business is a business. People take it so personally when a dev doesn't want to send their games out to die.
User avatar
21 Mar 2013 02:28

Devs complain about the install base, but you don't build an install base by NOT releasing games on the system.
User avatar
21 Mar 2013 05:15

Wii U owner says Dead Island: Riptide not worth buying*

*just my opinion, I'm not really into that type of game anyway
User avatar
21 Mar 2013 07:26

KillerHeroes wrote:Devs complain about the install base, but you don't build an install base by NOT releasing games on the system.


Exactly.
No Avatar
21 Mar 2013 10:07

Sounds to me like the guy was simply tired of answering the same damn question.
No Avatar
21 Mar 2013 23:06

Hawk wrote:So what's your reasoning on why Deep Silver isn't making the game for WiiU? They're lazy?

"Oh, we could TOTALLY make Riptide for WiiU, and we'd definitely get a lot of money from it, but we just don't wanna. I'm tired, and I gotta take my kid to the dentist, and it's almost the weekend."

No, there's no way market research told them that it wouldn't sell well enough on the WiiU to make up the cost. Good job catching them in their lies, changer1701. Maybe they'll get out of their hammocks and work if you send them a letter telling them about all that WiiU money floating around.
One of the best answers ever! :)

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way