Goriginal Content

EoD - Happy release!

EoD - Too big & loud

Smash Wii U review

Adventure Time rev

Pokemon AS review!

EoD - Instagram fun
 

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut dev hopes this is the game that makes people buy Wii U

Coming from a Penny-Arcade interview with Emile Pedneault...

“I'm not here to speculate about the status of it right now, but we just delivered the ultimate experience and we just took advantage of all the Wii U features in every possible way we can. So hopefully, things will pick up in the future, and we'll make some new and old fans pretty happy with this version. Who knows, maybe we'll be that one game that makes the Wii U sell.”

I don't think ports of recently released titles will make for system sellers, but I hope I'm wrong!

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
39 total comments (View all)
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:10

I seriously doubt it'll move consoles, but I can almost see it as most Wii U owners picking this game up, hopefully.
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:16

Kenichi340 wrote:I seriously doubt it'll move consoles, but I can almost see it as most Wii U owners picking this game up, hopefully.

Guess again. Most early adopters of any console are serious gamers. Doubtful that most. limit themselves to just Nintendo, and has has been said before, you can find d this game for $10 new with minimal effort on any other system. And unlike most other ports it doesn't even have the luxery of being a launch title.
Expect it to bomb. Bad. Why this even exists is beyond me.
No Avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:22

People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. It's funny that this only applies to Nintendo. You don't see people buying PlayStation for Sony's games (God of War, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, LittleBigPlanet) or Xbox for Microsoft's games (Halo, Forza, Fable).
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:28

SecondGearLuffy wrote:This game will bomb as all western 3rd party games usually do on Nintendo consoles.


it won't be because it's on a nintendo console though. it will be because it's a two year old game and it can be found elsewhere for a tenth of the cost.
No Avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:32

NEW games are what we need. I do want to play this, but i highly doubt it will be a system seller. The price of this game should be heavily reduced.
No Avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:33

Did Sony's HD remakes fail because they could be bought on the PS2 for half the cost? Did Super Mario All-Stars fail because those games could already be found on the NES?
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:36

tendoboy1984 wrote:People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. It's funny that this only applies to Nintendo. You don't see people buying PlayStation for Sony's games (God of War, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, LittleBigPlanet) or Xbox for Microsoft's games (Halo, Forza, Fable).

I can only assme this was a joke or sarcasm, because I have to say its one of the most idiotically ridiculous things I have ever read on this site. Tons of people buy PS3s for God of War, Infamous, LBP, and especially Uncharted. Even more buy 360s for Halo and Gears of War. Just because you want to pretend they don't exist doesn't mean they don't? Contrary to fanboy beliefs, Nintendo games arent magically better just because they have Nintendo's logo slapped on them. If anything Nintendo has been slipping while Sony has upped their game, but all systems have worthwhile exclusive.
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:36

Laughing so hard in this thread right now. Oh Wii U you had so much promise and in less than 5 months since launch all that promise has been put on the back burner. :lol:
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:39

@tendoboy1984

You're kidding, right? You're seriously telling me that the Halo and Uncharted games aren't system sellers? Whether or not you like them is beyond the point, they're popular as hell. Nintendo fans are more devoted to Nintendo's games since they're more iconic, they've been around for far longer, and there are more first party offerings from Nintendo than Sony or Microsoft, but to argue only Nintendo's games are system sellers (or even that more Nintendo games than Sony/Microsoft titles are system sellers) is ignorant.
No Avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:42

I'll buy this version of the game when it hits PS3 with more content, better framerate and a cheaper price tag. My WiiU will be bought the day the MonolithSoft game comes out.
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:46

tendoboy1984 wrote:Did Sony's HD remakes fail because they could be bought on the PS2 for half the cost? Did Super Mario All-Stars fail because those games could already be found on the NES?

Those were compilations sold at reduced cost, not individal games sold at full cost. By comparison, the God of War, Infamous, and Resistance compilations are $40 MSRP
No Avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:51

I know that Halo sells Xboxes, but I've never seen people rushing to get a PS3 just for Uncharted, Killzone, or God of War. Nintendo games are system sellers because the characters are more iconic. And Sony has far more first-party games and studios than Nintendo, who mainly relies on Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, and Smash Bros.

Sony does need to do a better job of utilizing their old IP's. Where are the new Jet Moto, The Getaway, Jak & Daxter, MediEvil, Tomba, Cool Boarders, Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad, Dark Cloud, etc.?
No Avatar
Anonymous
02 Apr 2013 15:53

Oregano wrote:Yes... people should buy the Wii U for a full priced version of a two year old game.... oh wait they made an effort to give the whole "slap the map on the screen" a fancy name! I guess that makes it worth it!/sarcasm


- in collaboration with Straight Right
- boss fights have had their map layouts reworked
- new hacking challenges are available
- stealth options are available to those who focus on stealth
- you can now kill Lawrence Barrett, Yelena Fedorova and Jaron Nammir without firing a single bullet
- Barrett boss battle hanger now has a second additional layer so Jensen can hide
- the energy system has been made more forgiving by allowing for two energy cells to recharge by default on all but the hardest difficulty
- AI has been improved to include the tweaks made for The Missing Link downloadable expansion
- enemy cone of vision was made more consistent
- all the visual effects seen in The Missing Link were applied to the main game
- new fog system that "makes the atmosphere really stand out"
- shadows that were choppy have been smoothed
- these improvements aren't possible on the 360
- improvements to anti-aliasing
- Neural Hub via GamePad lets you use Smart Vision augmentation, which allows players to see enemies through walls
- use the GamePad to see enemy health, armor type (heavy, medium or light) and loot
- use the GamePad to navigate the menus, to display the map, the augmentation system, the inventory and all the rest
- grenade throwback allows Jensen to equip a proximity detector that alerts him to a nearby grenad
- if an enemy chucks a grenade at you, the GamePad will vibrate, and you can swipe the touch-screen to pick it up and lob it back
- by default, the touch-screen is Jensen's radar
- open the 2D map on the GamePad and use the stylus to scribble notes
- these are reflected on your main screen radar
- use the touch-screen for the hacking mini-game
- precision aiming mode on touch screen
- includes all of the DLC
- The Missing Link DLC is now included in the main story
- director's commentary, which is roughly eight hours of chat from Eidos Montreal developers
- icons dotted around the world can activate this voice over
- no comment on director's cut heading to other platforms

Also he HOPES it sells systems or at least sells well. No one makes a game for it to bomb. At least these guy want to make something for this system.
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 15:54

mariomaniac45213 wrote:Laughing so hard in this thread right now. Oh Wii U you had so much promise and in less than 5 months since launch all that promise has been put on the back burner. :lol:


Promise? That's news to me considering most people were pooping on it since E3 2012 with statements like "just a Wii HD with a tablet rip-off controller gimmick!". I'd rather wait ti'll E3 this year to prove wether it's promise is all but naught or still there.
No Avatar
02 Apr 2013 16:01

I think Nintendo is using a slow-but-steady approach with the Wii U. They don't want to throw everything at the system all at once, instead they'd rather take their time with releases to whet people's appetites. They did the same thing with the Super NES, N64, Wii, and 3DS. E3 is still important to Nintendo, so just be patient. It's only been a few months since the system launched.
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 17:29

tendoboy1984 wrote:I know that Halo sells Xboxes, but I've never seen people rushing to get a PS3 just for Uncharted, Killzone, or God of War. Nintendo games are system sellers because the characters are more iconic. And Sony has far more first-party games and studios than Nintendo, who mainly relies on Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, and Smash Bros.

Sony does need to do a better job of utilizing their old IP's. Where are the new Jet Moto, The Getaway, Jak & Daxter, MediEvil, Tomba, Cool Boarders, Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad, Dark Cloud, etc.?

Look harder. Tons of God of War and Uncharted fans. And on the flip side of that coin, I have never heard Kirby called a system seller before.
No Avatar
02 Apr 2013 17:59

You people need to read up on this game. They're putting a lot more effort into than you think. There's also the chance they'll release a sequel so this makes sense.
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 18:06

"I don't think ports of recently released titles will make for system sellers, but I hope I'm wrong!"

I don't think so either.
No Avatar
02 Apr 2013 19:38

Buy Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (get a Wii U if you dont have one), if the world been a fair place that game would be a HUGE systemseller. Best multiplayer/online game ever.
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 21:48

Berrix wrote:First Criterion, now these dudes?

What the HELL is going on here?! People making defined versions on a Nintendo console feels very bizarre to me.



Not necessarily.

Resident Evil 4, Bully, Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Tomb Raider: Legends, Phantom Brave, and Okami all got Wii ports that were considered by most to be improved, "ultimate" versions of those titles.

And there were other multiconsole titles for Wii, such as Ghostbusters and The Force Unleashed that many reviewers claimed were the best versions of those games.

So it's not unheard of. And nice to see. It would just be nice to see this kind of effort go into original, new 3rd party releases and not just ports.



tendoboy1984 wrote:I think Nintendo is using a slow-but-steady approach with the Wii U. They don't want to throw everything at the system all at once, instead they'd rather take their time with releases to whet people's appetites. They did the same thing with the Super NES, N64, Wii, and 3DS. E3 is still important to Nintendo, so just be patient. It's only been a few months since the system launched.



That's not entirely accurate, friend.

With the SNES, the first year it released, 1991, they had games like Super Mario World, F-Zero, Sim City, Gradius III and Pilotwings at launch. The SNES released on August 23rd 1991, and by the end of that year, SNES also had Actraiser, Final Fantasy II (IV), Populous, Super Castlevania IV, Darius Twin, Super R-Type, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, U.N. Squadron, Final Fight, etc. In other words, in just a few short months, it actually had a rather robust lineup of titles, and that was just the end of 1991.

1992 was a colossal year as well, with games like Street Fighter II, Battle Clash, Contra III, FF: Mystic Quest, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Zelda: ALttP, Soul Blazer, Super Adventure Island, Magic Sword, TMNT IV, Super Mario Kart, etc.

The N64 did indeed have a slow start, only launching with two games, Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64, was kind of ridiculous. But bigger exclusive hits landed within the next few months.

But with Wii? I dunno. Having a Zelda at launch, even if it was a GC port, was huge, as well as Excite Truck, Super Monkey Ball, Wii Sports (THE major system seller), etc. And they had games like Wario Ware, Super Paper Mario, etc. coming early on the following year in 2007. It was not the kind of drought Wii U is having.

I think Wii U will be fine. But I think it's just the start contrast of seemingly having such a rich, robust launch, to having practically nothing for two and half or so months. People are making far more out of it than they should, but it's still a sh**ty situation. And Nintendo could help it a lot by actually bothering to at least give the concrete MONTH of release for games like Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit U, etc., games that were supposed to be "Spring" releases.
User avatar
02 Apr 2013 23:25

tendoboy1984 wrote:Did Sony's HD remakes fail because they could be bought on the PS2 for half the cost?


Thanks to the cost of new game development, we've certainly entered the Golden Age of HD remakes.

For example, let's take a look at Capcom's 2013 schedule.

DmC Devil May Cry (A prequel or so I'm told)
Darkstalkers Resurrection (an HD remake)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (an HD remake)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (A version 2)
Resident Evil: Revelations (An HD remake)
Remember Me (A new game!)
Lost Planet 3 (A sequel)
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (An HD remake)
DuckTales Remastered (An HD remake)

Personally, I'd prefer to try new games, but seeing as that costs more money than studios wish to spend...

I suppose in S-E's case, they thought the GamePad would fit in better with DEHR than one of their newer titles. I guess companies are afraid that if the GamePad's main function is just to mirror the screen, people will complain.
User avatar
03 Apr 2013 07:23

DEHR was so close to being a ten, I really think the improvements they have made are the right ones. The directors commentary is something that I will definitely buy the game for and play through again, but I won't be buying a Wii U for it. I want to see some 1st party gold before I lay down the notes.
User avatar
03 Apr 2013 08:04

I doubt that this game will be a system seller, with that said though, the original game is already one of the best RPG's to come out this gen but this version is easily going to be the superior version. If you haven't played it, this one is a must.
User avatar
04 Apr 2013 06:18

quicklynow wrote:I'll buy this version of the game when it hits PS3 with more content, better framerate and a cheaper price tag. My WiiU will be bought the day the MonolithSoft game comes out.


SMH. Seriously, I'm not singling you out by any means, there are several gob-smacking replies here but....... Seriously.

The guy HOPES it will sell systems. YES, it's a two-year old port, but it's just been made f***ing brilliant by all the tweaks. The tweaks ARE NOT LIMITED TO JUST A MAP. They are visual improvements, gameplay streamlining and extra content (including high-end textures) worked into the game.

There are plenty of Nintendo fans who HAVE NOT PLAYED THIS SERIES. Anyone willing to look past all the crap accross the internet about it being a old port will find THE definative version of the game with content you WILL NOT get anywhere else (and even if it does make it's way around, people will give less of a shovel about it 6 to 8 months down the line). If you have played the game, shut up and move on.

Nobody expected Monster Hunter to be enough to to shift systems either, but lo and behold....... UK sales increased.
User avatar
04 Apr 2013 11:01

Actually, I expected MH to be enough to shift systems. Just saying.

And @quicklynow, that's laughable you say that you'll wait for the PS3 version to come out with a better framerate. It won't. The developers said that they were able to do some of the things they did specifically because of Wii U, and part of that, as if you hadn't heard, is the fact that while Wii U's CPU may not be a barnburner, it's GPU is considerable more impressive than what 360 or PS3 offer. Not surprising considering it's a new console and all.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way