Goriginal Content

EoD - Smash Wii U!

Shantae review!

Fantasy Life review

EoD - Instagram fun

Xeodrifter diary #12

GN Podcast #479
 

NoE changes provocative Fire Emblem: Awakening dialog


Hmm, this makes me wonder how many changes there are to the European script. Thanks to Brian for putting this together!

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
49 total comments (View all)
User avatar
27 Apr 2013 23:49

I thought PMD removing the genders due to fear of anti-gay groups (According to rumors I saw on NeoGAF before the game launch) was extreme. But this takes the cake.
User avatar
27 Apr 2013 23:52

Weird... you'd think it would be the other way around, since from what I hear, sexual things aren't as taboo in Europe as they are here in the US.
User avatar
27 Apr 2013 23:55

ridleysaria wrote:We don't know if it's censorship though. It's possible that europe is getting a different localization than the US did. Different team, different translation. Part of the localization process involves making changes to suit the culture. For instance, a lot of jokes written for a Japanese audience are changed because western audiences won't understand. That's not censorship, that's localization. For all we know, the european translation is MORE faithful than the US translation. Or not. Let's not automatically decry this as censorship.

You are indeed correct. There are in fact multiple other alterations to the text in the European English dialogue from the American one, mainly in the support conversations as far as I know, along with the given change of spellings.
No Avatar
27 Apr 2013 23:59

The game's overall excellence makes it easy to overlook the irrelevant innuendo. Good thing it was fairly scarce. Other than that, everything (script-wise) was immaculate. I lol'd pretty often. There's some great one-liners in there and some pretty memorable statements. I would definitely complain if those were altered/taken out of the EU version. Funny how stuff was censored here before and not so much in EU, yet sometimes nowadays it's the complete opposite O_o... Funny ol' world.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 00:23

ridleysaria wrote:
Jirachi wrote:@ridleysaria it's not about what they censored it's the fact they censored it period.

censorship just leads to more censorship.


We don't know if it's censorship though. It's possible that europe is getting a different localization than the US did. Different team, different translation. Part of the localization process involves making changes to suit the culture. For instance, a lot of jokes written for a Japanese audience are changed because western audiences won't understand. That's not censorship, that's localization. For all we know, the european translation is MORE faithful than the US translation. Or not. Let's not automatically decry this as censorship.

The Japanese version talks about her breast. Not actually word per word, but still same topic.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 01:03

Bluigi wrote:
ridleysaria wrote:
Jirachi wrote:@ridleysaria it's not about what they censored it's the fact they censored it period.

censorship just leads to more censorship.


We don't know if it's censorship though. It's possible that europe is getting a different localization than the US did. Different team, different translation. Part of the localization process involves making changes to suit the culture. For instance, a lot of jokes written for a Japanese audience are changed because western audiences won't understand. That's not censorship, that's localization. For all we know, the european translation is MORE faithful than the US translation. Or not. Let's not automatically decry this as censorship.

The Japanese version talks about hair. Not actually word per word, but still same topic.


Sweet. I was right. :D

Now we know it wasn't censorship. We tend to be so quick to jump to conclusions.
No Avatar
28 Apr 2013 01:03

"Looks at the American dialog"
You know, I may just have to buy the game just to see what the conversation is that that gets brought up in.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 02:25

Devil_Rising wrote:It's funny how certain parts of Europe censor so much, yet other parts don't. Different cultures, different countries.....odd stuff lol. I see nothing wrong with that dialogue at all. But I know a bunch of folks in America who's shovel their pants over it. Religion is a hell of a drug...........

Someone always has to bring up religion. I swear, some people like to start pointless arguments, but I digress.

I love how if this was the opposite way around, people would be saying how prudish America is and how every other country is more open to this kind of dialog.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 03:31

Boo! I want more cheesy innuendo like in the last resort games.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 03:44

Take THAT Europe!


Spoiler:
Just kidding :P
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 04:35

Nowi's just so adorable regardless of what she says.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 04:36

Devil_Rising wrote:It's funny how certain parts of Europe censor so much, yet other parts don't. Different cultures, different countries.....odd stuff lol. I see nothing wrong with that dialogue at all. But I know a bunch of folks in America who's shovel their pants over it. Religion is a hell of a drug...........


:lol:

Quite Ironic considering the topic being discussed.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 05:56

cobaltorange wrote:
Devil_Rising wrote:It's funny how certain parts of Europe censor so much, yet other parts don't. Different cultures, different countries.....odd stuff lol. I see nothing wrong with that dialogue at all. But I know a bunch of folks in America who's shovel their pants over it. Religion is a hell of a drug...........

Someone always has to bring up religion. I swear, some people like to start pointless arguments, but I digress.

I love how if this was the opposite way around, people would be saying how prudish America is and how every other country is more open to this kind of dialog.



Who is starting an argument? I stated a fact, that the so-called "religious right" has been the main driving force in this silly "hide your bodies because they're sinful" crap for hundreds of years in this country, let alone many hundreds more around the world. If you take that as attacking religion, so be it. But there is nothing "Attacking" about pointing out the absurdity of an attitude that says "OMG boobs are evil!". It's beyond infantile, and quite frankly has caused more harm via sexual repression and unnecessary personal shame/lack of self confidence, that it's quite ludicrous. Just saying.

On the flipside, yes, you could certainly argue that there is TOO much sexualization in our American culture nowadays, but then again, that's a psychological product of hundreds of years of repression. When you tell people to hide their bodies, because human bodies are "naughty", people are going to start fixating and obsessing over what they're not allowed to see. If Americans over the centuries had adopted a more practical, naturalist view of the human body, things like "boobs" would certainly not be seen as NEARLY as big a deal as they are made to be now.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 08:38

ridleysaria wrote:
Bluigi wrote:
ridleysaria wrote:
We don't know if it's censorship though. It's possible that europe is getting a different localization than the US did. Different team, different translation. Part of the localization process involves making changes to suit the culture. For instance, a lot of jokes written for a Japanese audience are changed because western audiences won't understand. That's not censorship, that's localization. For all we know, the european translation is MORE faithful than the US translation. Or not. Let's not automatically decry this as censorship.

The Japanese version talks about hair. Not actually word per word, but still same topic.


Sweet. I was right. :D

Now we know it wasn't censorship. We tend to be so quick to jump to conclusions.


So unless there's some hair > breast pun that the EU translator didn't catch, that awful dialogue was put in the US version for no reason.
Damn, NOE wins again.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 11:11

TSweirdo wrote:"Looks at the American dialog"
You know, I may just have to buy the game just to see what the conversation is that that gets brought up in.

You'd also have to purchase DLC for this as well to see this for yourself, for the record. It's from the recently released Harvest Scramble.
No Avatar
28 Apr 2013 12:25

@YoshiRider123
Ah, thank you I'll remember that.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 13:23

krzysio87 wrote:
ridleysaria wrote:
Bluigi wrote:
The Japanese version talks about hair. Not actually word per word, but still same topic.


Sweet. I was right. :D

Now we know it wasn't censorship. We tend to be so quick to jump to conclusions.


So unless there's some hair > breast pun that the EU translator didn't catch, that awful dialogue was put in the US version for no reason.
Damn, NOE wins again.


Ridleysaria edited that reply (presumably as a joke); Bluigi originally said she was talking "breast" not "hair." If you scroll up you will see that.

In short: NoA's line is more faithful, assuming Bluigi knows his/her Japanese.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 14:44

Lupin wrote:Ridleysaria edited that reply (presumably as a joke); Bluigi originally said she was talking "breast" not "hair." If you scroll up you will see that.

In short: NoA's line is more faithful, assuming Bluigi knows his/her Japanese.

Ridleysaria didn't edit anything. Bluigi did, and originally said "hair", not "breast".
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 15:03

Devil_Rising wrote:
cobaltorange wrote:
Devil_Rising wrote:It's funny how certain parts of Europe censor so much, yet other parts don't. Different cultures, different countries.....odd stuff lol. I see nothing wrong with that dialogue at all. But I know a bunch of folks in America who's shovel their pants over it. Religion is a hell of a drug...........

Someone always has to bring up religion. I swear, some people like to start pointless arguments, but I digress.

I love how if this was the opposite way around, people would be saying how prudish America is and how every other country is more open to this kind of dialog.



Who is starting an argument? I stated a fact, that the so-called "religious right" has been the main driving force in this silly "hide your bodies because they're sinful" crap for hundreds of years in this country, let alone many hundreds more around the world. If you take that as attacking religion, so be it. But there is nothing "Attacking" about pointing out the absurdity of an attitude that says "OMG boobs are evil!". It's beyond infantile, and quite frankly has caused more harm via sexual repression and unnecessary personal shame/lack of self confidence, that it's quite ludicrous. Just saying.

On the flipside, yes, you could certainly argue that there is TOO much sexualization in our American culture nowadays, but then again, that's a psychological product of hundreds of years of repression. When you tell people to hide their bodies, because human bodies are "naughty", people are going to start fixating and obsessing over what they're not allowed to see. If Americans over the centuries had adopted a more practical, naturalist view of the human body, things like "boobs" would certainly not be seen as NEARLY as big a deal as they are made to be now.


Yes I couldn't agree more!
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 15:14

What no one here seems to realize is that in England, the word "bits" has a far more offensive connotation than in North America, even when they are referring to the same thing. However, "bits" in England can refer to both male and female genitalia. Obviously that translation couldn't be kept for Europe - does anyone remember how Elebits for Wii had to be changed to Eledees for Europe? Same reason.

And sure, it could have been more faithful to the original, but it's kind of stupid dialogue anyway, frankly.
No Avatar
28 Apr 2013 16:04

NoE genrally use different translations to the US branch, so yeah. Im not seeing censorship.
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 16:21

A bit late but I can finally reply. Thank you whoever fixed it for me.

The original dialogue does indeed talk about her body rather than her hair, and starts as so:

Nowi: Sarya wa bain bain dane!
(Tharja goes boing boing!)

Tharja: Nono, naniyo totsuzen...?
(Nowi, what's this all of a sudden...?)

Nowi: Dakara, Sarya wa bain bain da ne!
(I'm saying, Tharja goes boing boing!)

Tharja: Ba, bain...? Nani no koto? Jumon... Dewa nasasou ne.
Mattaku imi dawa karanai wa...
(Bo-boing? What is that? A curse... It couldn't be.
Really, it sounds like nonsense...)

Nowi: Sarya wa ne, omune mo oshiri mo bain bainttekoto!
(Tharja's big breasts and butt go boing boing, is what I'm saying!)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=biVeJXhz_6Y#t=321s
No Avatar
Anonymous
28 Apr 2013 18:57

I just read the Euro-translation and the whole hair thing doesn't make any sense. Why would Tharja be embarrased and angry if "some of the guys" were talking about her hair? I mean, she's strange, but not Patricia Tannis strange.
The whole dialog just screams "breasts", but replaces them with silky smooth hair. It just feels forced, though I never expected boobie jokes in a Nintendo game.



arsheroica wrote:What no one here seems to realize is that in England, the word "bits" has a far more offensive connotation than in North America, even when they are referring to the same thing. However, "bits" in England can refer to both male and female genitalia. Obviously that translation couldn't be kept for Europe - does anyone remember how Elebits for Wii had to be changed to Eledees for Europe? Same reason.

That reminds me: I once bought these winegums in London, called "titbits". I already thought it was a strange name, but now... :lol: :lol:
User avatar
28 Apr 2013 19:40

Devil_Rising wrote:
cobaltorange wrote:
Devil_Rising wrote:It's funny how certain parts of Europe censor so much, yet other parts don't. Different cultures, different countries.....odd stuff lol. I see nothing wrong with that dialogue at all. But I know a bunch of folks in America who's shovel their pants over it. Religion is a hell of a drug...........

Someone always has to bring up religion. I swear, some people like to start pointless arguments, but I digress.

I love how if this was the opposite way around, people would be saying how prudish America is and how every other country is more open to this kind of dialog.



Who is starting an argument? I stated a fact, that the so-called "religious right" has been the main driving force in this silly "hide your bodies because they're sinful" crap for hundreds of years in this country, let alone many hundreds more around the world. If you take that as attacking religion, so be it. But there is nothing "Attacking" about pointing out the absurdity of an attitude that says "OMG boobs are evil!". It's beyond infantile, and quite frankly has caused more harm via sexual repression and unnecessary personal shame/lack of self confidence, that it's quite ludicrous. Just saying.

On the flipside, yes, you could certainly argue that there is TOO much sexualization in our American culture nowadays, but then again, that's a psychological product of hundreds of years of repression. When you tell people to hide their bodies, because human bodies are "naughty", people are going to start fixating and obsessing over what they're not allowed to see. If Americans over the centuries had adopted a more practical, naturalist view of the human body, things like "boobs" would certainly not be seen as NEARLY as big a deal as they are made to be now.


Eh, I say you're giving them too much credit. There's WAY more factors at work and I know that other countries started off the same as us and yet their views on the human body vary wildly. It's not that simple.

But back on topic. What confuses me is that NoA kept this and yet (supposedly), Tharja's description originally said "has the nicest body" instead of "has the darkest thoughts". :lol:
User avatar
01 May 2013 12:08

Quetzalcoatl2k wrote:But back on topic. What confuses me is that NoA kept this and yet (supposedly), Tharja's description originally said "has the nicest body" instead of "has the darkest thoughts". :lol:

It's definitely true that the Barracks in the Japanese version of the game explicitly says she had the nicest body. Tharja's roster description is really the only one I remember having been notably changed.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way