Goriginal Content

EoD - Game Shows

EoD - Leaks

GN Podcast #471

Xeodrifter diary #4

Adventure Time pics!

Nefarious exclusive!
 

RUMOR - Wii U sells roughly 38,000 units for April 2013 in US

We don't get official hardware sales numbers from NPD reports anymore, but the numbers are out there. Some people in the know are leaking info, others are piecing together bits of info to figure out where certain sales are coming in. We're hearing that Wii U may have sold somewhere around 38,000 units for the month of April, which would not be a good thing. Consumers need some big software names as a motivator to make a purchase. Thanks to Dim for the heads up.

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
76 total comments (View all)
User avatar
18 May 2013 23:04

CorusFace wrote:
Jerome wrote:
tendoboy1984 wrote:At least it's selling something. Better than GameCube, that's for sure.

You appear to have been misinformed. At this point in its lifespan, Gamecube had sold 40% more units to date in North America (the single largest market). More specifically, its sixth month on the market (also April), it sold over twice as many units.

you are on fire tonight.
nintendo sucks and deserves to fail. you win. happy?


you should have stopped at "you are on fire tonight". Jerome has stated nothing but facts here. Hide from them if you want to, but the Gamecube era was not consistently fun until RE4 came along, and right now Wii U is looking even worse off. The next ND and E3 better be everything Nintendo fans hope it to be and then some.

In the meantime, where is Wii Sports 2 with online play?
User avatar
18 May 2013 23:14

Actually, you might want to check those "facts." I don't think Wind Waker being the sixth best selling Zelda game at near 5mil qualifies as "putting a lot of people off." There are a lot of others too, but I don't want to seem like I'm picking him apart because of our previous convo.
User avatar
18 May 2013 23:18

FadedAreWii wrote:Actually, you might want to check those facts. I don't think Wind Waker being the sixth best selling Zelda game at near 5mil qualifies as "putting a lot of people off." There are a lot of others too, but I don't want to seem like I'm picking him apart because of our previous convo.


Windwaker is routinely identified as "that other Zelda that was weird". 5 mill is good, but Twilight Princess for instance sold almost 7 mill on the Wii version ALONE. Nintendo went out on a limb with their GC iterations of their major franchises, and it didn't do them well in the end. Hell, TP's art direction is a DIRECT RESULT of the backlash WW received.
User avatar
18 May 2013 23:22

tendoboy1984 wrote:At least it's selling something. Better than GameCube, that's for sure.

Up to this point, Gamecube sold more than WiiU in every month. It seems ALL home consoles from the 6th and 7th gen had sold more at this point.

Acumulated sales:

Image

Cube vs WiiU chart:

http://i.imgur.com/CfZEblc.png
User avatar
18 May 2013 23:24

I've never heard it identified as that. In the beginning people freaked out, but even before launch people came around and after that everything was golden. A Zelda game selling 7mil is a rare case and we are only talking a difference of 2mil, Gamecube had a much smaller Userbase and Wind Waker didn't benefit from being a launch title, etc. 5mil is about the Zelda average. Definitely not something you can say put a bunch of people off. Majora's Mask, yes, Wind Waker, no.

Edit: @ graph.

So, PS3 launch bad basically. I think Nintendo has much more to bounce back with sooner than Sony did with the PS3. Let's keep in mind it's also outselling 360 and PS3 as well and look at those systems. Launch aligned numbers aren't very telling of much.
User avatar
18 May 2013 23:29

Jerome wrote:Most of Nintendo's games for Gamecube got more mixed receptions and sold significantly less than their N64 predecessors, even though the system's price was cut to $149 only 6 months after launch, and $99 only 22 months after launch.


The one big thing you're failing to mention, is WHY the GameCube was at $149 only 6 months after launch. Can anybody tell me why the GameCube had a $50 price cut barely 6 months after it released?
User avatar
18 May 2013 23:49

FadedAreWii wrote:Edit: @ graph.

So, PS3 launch bad basically. I think Nintendo has much more to bounce back with sooner than Sony did with the PS3. Let's keep in mind it's also outselling 360 and PS3 as well and look at those systems. Launch aligned numbers aren't very telling of much.

The charts' only purpose is to show that WiiU right now is not outselling any system from the last two gens during its first 6 months (the opposite was claimed by tendoboy1984). What happened or will happen after that is a different topic and nothing to do with those graphs.
No Avatar
19 May 2013 00:03

coffeewithchess wrote:
Jerome wrote:Most of Nintendo's games for Gamecube got more mixed receptions and sold significantly less than their N64 predecessors, even though the system's price was cut to $149 only 6 months after launch, and $99 only 22 months after launch.


The one big thing you're failing to mention, is WHY the GameCube was at $149 only 6 months after launch. Can anybody tell me why the GameCube had a $50 price cut barely 6 months after it released?

Presumably because it wasn't selling as hoped, which doesn't make the current situation with Wii U look too good. At this point, though, Nintendo can't afford to lower prices a lot more or they'll lose tons of money.
No Avatar
19 May 2013 00:18

FadedAreWii wrote:Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all. 40k is not as bad as 15k.

Yes, that is obvious, but it's also irrelevant. Vita is basically dead (ironically, given its name is latin for life), but I wasn't talking about Vita.
FadedAreWii wrote:15k compared to 360's 100k+ much worse than Wii U's 40k compared.

The number isn't 40k, though, it's 38k. And 360's isn't "100k+", it's 130k.
FadedAreWii wrote:Perspective. I can't break it down much more, but even if I could you just seem to want to attack what I say because I like Nintendo and don't think it's the end of the world for them. Sorry, but it isn't just blind fanboyism, it's perspective, get some.

Hold on just a minute. I don't want any of the console makers to exit the market, and I don't believe Nintendo will any time soon. I believe Wii U could possibly end up selling Gamecube-to-N64 numbers, which would be a big decline from Wii, but wouldn't kill the company by any means. Of the 3 console makers, I believe Sony is the most likely to pull out because of their financial problems. You don't have to be defensive, condescending, and accusatory because I'm pointing to poor sales and expressing reasonable concern.
FadedAreWii wrote:I've never heard it identified as that. In the beginning people freaked out, but even before launch people came around and after that everything was golden. A Zelda game selling 7mil is a rare case and we are only talking a difference of 2mil, Gamecube had a much smaller Userbase and Wind Waker didn't benefit from being a launch title, etc. 5mil is about the Zelda average. Definitely not something you can say put a bunch of people off. Majora's Mask, yes, Wind Waker, no.

The difference was about 3 million, which means that proportionally, Wind Waker sold worse than Ocarina of Time even accounting for Gamecube's smaller user base, as well as selling about 2.5 million less than Twilight Princess. I wasn't basing my whole statement on this fact, though, with Wind Waker actually faring the best of the games I mentioned compared to series averages. I was just pointing to the major trend of Nintendo making their major franchise games more quirky on Gamecube, something that contributed to lower sales.
FadedAreWii wrote:So, PS3 launch bad basically.

No, it's selling somewhat worse than PS3, despite the fact that PS3 was $500-$600.
FadedAreWii wrote:I think Nintendo has much more to bounce back with sooner than Sony did with the PS3.

I'm not denying things will get better when major games come out. It will be several months until those titles are released, though, and even then we'll have to see what they're like and how big a bounce they give.
FadedAreWii wrote:Let's keep in mind it's also outselling 360 and PS3 as well and look at those systems.

It's not outselling them, though. The chart clearly shows that.
User avatar
19 May 2013 00:20

Jerome wrote:
coffeewithchess wrote:
Jerome wrote:Most of Nintendo's games for Gamecube got more mixed receptions and sold significantly less than their N64 predecessors, even though the system's price was cut to $149 only 6 months after launch, and $99 only 22 months after launch.


The one big thing you're failing to mention, is WHY the GameCube was at $149 only 6 months after launch. Can anybody tell me why the GameCube had a $50 price cut barely 6 months after it released?

Presumably because it wasn't selling as hoped, which doesn't make the current situation with Wii U look too good. At this point, though, Nintendo can't afford to lower prices a lot more or they'll lose tons of money.


Funny thing is, at this point in the Gamecube's life it had more must own first party games than the Wii U has now.
It had:
Luigi's Mansion
Wave Race Blue Storm
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Pikmin
Not to mention high quality console exclusives like Rogue Squadron 2 and Super Monkey Ball.
No Avatar
19 May 2013 00:30

nGen wrote:Funny thing is, at this point in the Gamecube's life it had more must own first party games than the Wii U

Yep, that's probably why it sold better.
No Avatar
19 May 2013 01:01

People tend to neglect a few changes since the last console generation: HD TVs in the majority of homes, smart phones, tablets, better internet infrastructure, netflix, youtube, et. al. will all play a component in the next generation of consoles selling less. 250 million consoles between the big 3 will drastically be cut.

It is now up to the big 3 to find ways to give their customers value for their entertainment purposes. I can honestly right now when I see prices of games on XBL or PSN to digitally download that are newer and longer in duration than a NES game for the same price, something has got to give. Nintendo needs to drop digital sale prices because at this point, $2 on a digital download is better than not selling it at $5.
User avatar
19 May 2013 01:20

Jerome wrote:
coffeewithchess wrote:
Jerome wrote:Most of Nintendo's games for Gamecube got more mixed receptions and sold significantly less than their N64 predecessors, even though the system's price was cut to $149 only 6 months after launch, and $99 only 22 months after launch.


The one big thing you're failing to mention, is WHY the GameCube was at $149 only 6 months after launch. Can anybody tell me why the GameCube had a $50 price cut barely 6 months after it released?

Presumably because it wasn't selling as hoped, which doesn't make the current situation with Wii U look too good. At this point, though, Nintendo can't afford to lower prices a lot more or they'll lose tons of money.


No. Incorrect. Sure, sales might have been one reason, but there was another HUGE reason. The reason that forced their hand to drop the price.
No Avatar
19 May 2013 01:37

coffeewithchess wrote:No. Incorrect. Sure, sales might have been one reason, but there was another HUGE reason. The reason that forced their hand to drop the price.

Yes, I just realized Sony did cut PS2's price to $199 around that time. I guess I was thinking of the rapid pace of Gamecube price drops in general. I know that they didn't knock the price down to $99 because of competitor's pricing, though, as PS2 and Xbox were $179 at the time.
User avatar
19 May 2013 03:23

I for one see this as good news. Nintendo needs a wake-up call, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they respond to it at E3. It's gonna be BIG!!!
No Avatar
19 May 2013 04:56

MrThee wrote:I for one see this as good news. Nintendo needs a wake-up call, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they respond to it at E3. It's gonna be BIG!!!

I have to agree with this. I quite enjoy all the crap that Nintendo's getting right now because they damn need a wake-up call. I like Nintendo, but if this is what it takes for them to succeed or even stay relevant, then so be it.
User avatar
19 May 2013 06:51

DBPanterA wrote:People tend to neglect a few changes since the last console generation: HD TVs in the majority of homes, smart phones, tablets, better internet infrastructure, netflix, youtube, et. al. will all play a component in the next generation of consoles selling less. 250 million consoles between the big 3 will drastically be cut.

It is now up to the big 3 to find ways to give their customers value for their entertainment purposes. I can honestly right now when I see prices of games on XBL or PSN to digitally download that are newer and longer in duration than a NES game for the same price, something has got to give. Nintendo needs to drop digital sale prices because at this point, $2 on a digital download is better than not selling it at $5.


You forgot: GLOBAL RECESSION.

No way are last gen's consoles gonna match or exceeded by their successors - they'll all be lucky to sell even half as much.
User avatar
19 May 2013 08:26

the ps3 was very stagnant for a long time.
the reason the gc got the price drop was profit margin on the console itself, ya'll seem to always forget sony and m$ has never made a profit from console sales in the first 3-4 years of life. the gc tech became cheap quick. it also had to do with marketing. they simply could not release a "competing" console at such a low price, so they took what they could get, thats what the free market is/does.....


now as for this wii u, which im a launch owner and it gets hours of use everyday, through my spouse or myself.

it has no mass market appealing software...
or marketing...
us being nintendo fans are used to this. the others not so much. but when exclusive game "X" gets released, you be your ass there will be console sales. these games dont necessarily have to be nintendo house games. i totally believe the next xenoblade will push hardware, especially if they bundle in the first one....
that said, against the next xbox/ps4 they dont have a fair fight, the user bases are way too far gone and there really is no more loyalty, its just how much you can spend on games. so yes nintendo needs yet another gimmick to bring people in, ya call the gamepad screen a gimmick? i think not once you use one for awhile, it just makes freakin sense. does mandatory kinect sound like a good time and make sense to you????..... didnt think so. and i predict the same stagnant ps4 era, just like the .... wait for it.... wii u is going though right now.

this is the beginning of the new console generation and its gonna take some years to see whom comes out alive...

all that said, its up to ya'll software/game devs to get yer heads out of yer asses and stop focusing on sales numbers.
make use of cheap dev hardware with lots of bells and whistles and make some good freaking games!!!!!!!!!!!!
we dont care if it dosent take millions and years to make and has the most photo-real graphics, as long as its a good game people will buy. so much is at stake with new games its stupid.
User avatar
19 May 2013 10:36

I guess WiiU will get some buyers once we get the official numbers on PS4, XBox8 prices.

The WiiU will be cheaper and buyers will take that into account.

The same thing happened with Wii.
No Avatar
19 May 2013 11:01

gatorboi352 wrote:

In the meantime, where is Wii Sports 2 with online play?


You mean Wii Sports 3, since Resort was #2. (or as I like to call it "Wii Sports U")
No Avatar
19 May 2013 11:04

Endan wrote:I guess WiiU will get some buyers once we get the official numbers on PS4, XBox8 prices.

The WiiU will be cheaper and buyers will take that into account.

The same thing happened with Wii.


But Microsoft may be doing that Xbox Live subsidy thing again, where the price of the console is lowered when you sign up to a 2-year contract for Xbox Live.

Think of it like this:
- Console price WITHOUT Xbox Live subscription: $400
- Console price WITH Xbox Live subscription: $250
User avatar
19 May 2013 11:26

Endan wrote:I guess WiiU will get some buyers once we get the official numbers on PS4, XBox8 prices.

The WiiU will be cheaper and buyers will take that into account.

The same thing happened with Wii.


Like tendoboy said, there will be subsidies on at least Microsoft's new console. How low will it be is the question.

However, don't forget about the 360/PS3, which will assuredly receive a price drop (possibly after E3 due to April's poor sales all around). The Wii U isn't going after an untapped market this time. It's competing with everyone, and it really doesn't have much going for it besides some Mario games. 360 and PS3 will also be cheaper while offering a much bigger library and new games still to come, both exclusive and cross-gen. Wii U can't even compete with them now - PS4 and NextBox going on the market will only increase the competition.
User avatar
19 May 2013 12:36

gbpackers31 wrote:
Endan wrote:I guess WiiU will get some buyers once we get the official numbers on PS4, XBox8 prices.

The WiiU will be cheaper and buyers will take that into account.

The same thing happened with Wii.


Like tendoboy said, there will be subsidies on at least Microsoft's new console. How low will it be is the question.

However, don't forget about the 360/PS3, which will assuredly receive a price drop (possibly after E3 due to April's poor sales all around). The Wii U isn't going after an untapped market this time. It's competing with everyone, and it really doesn't have much going for it besides some Mario games. 360 and PS3 will also be cheaper while offering a much bigger library and new games still to come, both exclusive and cross-gen. Wii U can't even compete with them now - PS4 and NextBox going on the market will only increase the competition.


That's too early to claim that it won't have much going for it besides Mario when there are other games that will release in Fall 2013 as well like Pikmin 3 and Sonic Lost World exclusively for instance. You can argue that it isn't a system seller, both with proper marketing it isn't impossible for good sales potential. It may not now, but it can in the holidays in which you cannot count it out yet. PS4/Nextbox i can see will have trouble transition after launch due to the fact that most of it's cross gen games are available on current gen platforms that, as you've just used in your argument, are cheaper and have a much bigger library. The market is not going to fork over $400 for a new console to purchase many cross gen titles that are already available on cheaper platforms, just because competition will increase doesn't mean that it will put the Wii U out being competitive. That also doesn't factor of when or if Nintendo wants to drop the price this year to $250-300 (which would only happen if things get really heated, though i don't see $300 as expensive)

As others have said, don't count the Wii U out.
User avatar
19 May 2013 13:14

Why on Earth do you keep on bringing up the Vita Sales? I don't think that you should compare a handheld with a home console.

Vita is a really good handheld but unfortunately it is a console more for mature gamers. Too bad a lot of us mature gamers don't play handhelds as much hence the DS/3DS sells a lot better due to the type of base they attract.
No Avatar
19 May 2013 21:46

Geek_Things wrote:Vita is a really good handheld but unfortunately it is a console more for mature gamers. Too bad a lot of us mature gamers don't play handhelds as much hence the DS/3DS sells a lot better due to the type of base they attract.

Well, I won't deny that's a contributing factor, but Vita isn't just struggling because of that, it's also struggling because it's not getting many good exclusive games, or for that matter many exclusive games at all besides some small PSN downloads.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way