Goriginal Content

EoD - Come back, WR

EoD - Come back, SF

EoD - Come back, F-0

GN Podcast #453

Cult County chat!

EoD - Missed chance?
 

Shin'en - Wii U has enough power for years to come (plus more interview tidbits)

Coming from an HD Warriors interview with Shin'en's Manfred Linzner...

On Wii U having enough power for years to come

‘We only know you need to treat the Wii U differently then those consoles because of a very different and in our view more accessible architecture. There is a lot power to unleash in the Wii U. Enough power for many years to come, at least from our point of view.

‘We know many people see us as Wii U experts. That is because we got a lot of technical praise for Nano Assault Neo but it’s not well deserved. Only very tiny bits of Nano Assault Neo took advantage of the Wii U architecture. We had the game from start in 720p at 60fps. We drew the complete game world twice for TV and GamePad. We had tons of overlays, special effects and even camera streaming and still had no GPU or CPU problems. So we simply had no reason to dig deep into the architecture. We didn’t expected to be seen as the spearhead of Wii U graphics as it undeserved, when looking at what the Wii U can truly achieve.‘


You can check out some more interview snippets with Shine'en below, pertaining to the following topics.

The game industry revolution is HOW you make games

File size of a game doesn't necessarily indicate graphical quality

Shin'en's philosophy of working within limits

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
12 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
29 May 2013 12:59

Nintendo needs to absorb these guys. They obviously know their way around the hardware and with some Nintendo guidance, they could make some very special games (not to say their games aren't already great.)

Now, about the comments about the Wii U's power. It's all well and good that it's very powerful when used properly but third parties just aren't going to pay attention to that unless developing a game exclusively for the platform. PS4/XB1 will come first because of their similarities to PC architecture and Wii U will be left in the dust with either bad ports, unique versions like Wii was given, or just no version at all. I'd love to be wrong but I just can't see why third parties would dedicate workforce into learning how to really utilise the Wii U for multiplatform games...
No Avatar
29 May 2013 12:59

So NAN was just pre-warm-up.

Well, I can understand that. The models weren't very polygon-intense, the stages were tiny, and the shaders were few, with not that many flashy effects. But they executed everything flawlessly without digging deep into the system so kudos anyway. I HAVE to see what they're cooking with that deep knowledge of the architecture.
User avatar
29 May 2013 13:15

These guys are wizards and I can't wait to see their Wii U project. I will say not going X86 is going to hurt the Wii U in the long run in my eyes.
User avatar
29 May 2013 13:50

shingi70 wrote:These guys are wizards and I can't wait to see their Wii U project. I will say not going X86 is going to hurt the Wii U in the long run in my eyes.


What I would like to know is if Nintendo knew that MS and Sony were going to x86 back when they designed the Wii U or whether or not it is still PPC just for BC.
No Avatar
29 May 2013 13:55

the game is really gorgeous like unbelievably so , i hope they try to push a bit next time.
User avatar
29 May 2013 14:16

jlatimer11 wrote:
shingi70 wrote:These guys are. wizards and I can't wait to see their Wii U project. I will say not going X86 is going to hurt the Wii U in the long run in my eyes.


What I would like to know is if Nintendo knew that MS and Sony were going to x86 back when they designed the Wii U or whether or not it is still PPC just for BC.


What I would like to know is why none of the third parties like EA who said they were helping them and suggesting what Nintendo should use for their console!

I don't know how many times I heard that Nintendo was asking and listening to what third parties want in a console before the wii u was released!

Never was x86 mentioned!
User avatar
29 May 2013 14:29

I'm not so sure the x86 thing is an issue right now. The 360 and PS3 are still getting games.
User avatar
29 May 2013 14:37

Interestingly the biggest problems are not really technical ones but how to produce games that feel perfect but with only a fraction of budget, staff and time compared to grand 1st Party games.


This comment screams that they're a very good development studio. All the complaints that were being tossed around by the industry about the systems power and they put out a very high quality product nearly effortlessly when talking about any complications with the systems power. It's amazing what a good team that has a fraction of the budget of the big players, is a fraction of the size of the big players, and has a much less time to work with can do. I salute them.
No Avatar
29 May 2013 14:53

Sisibakbak wrote:Nintendo needs to absorb these guys. They obviously know their way around the hardware and with some Nintendo guidance, they could make some very special games (not to say their games aren't already great.)



Why would they need to? This guys are already working exclusively for and praising Nintendo for free :lol:

If anything, Nintendo competitors are ones that should be interested on buying Shin'en, they would get an amazing studio and null one of Nintendo most vocal supporters.
User avatar
29 May 2013 15:16

kdognumba1 wrote:
Interestingly the biggest problems are not really technical ones but how to produce games that feel perfect but with only a fraction of budget, staff and time compared to grand 1st Party games.


This comment screams that they're a very good development studio. All the complaints that were being tossed around by the industry about the systems power and they put out a very high quality product nearly effortlessly when talking about any complications with the systems power. It's amazing what a good team that has a fraction of the budget of the big players, is a fraction of the size of the big players, and has a much less time to work with can do. I salute them.


Yeah, Shin'en is a real class act! They've really carved their niche in the industry and have a really good management system that seems to work for them.

Other studios (especially AAA ones) should really take some notes.
User avatar
29 May 2013 22:50

Those guys deserve lots of praise and then some.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way