Goriginal Content

Cult County chat!

EoD - Missed chance?

EoD - Waluigi time?

EoD - Mario where?

EoD - Which to buy?

Smash Direct wrap-up
 

Reggie Fils-Aime demos Game and Wario, Super Mario 3D World on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon


Also check out:
Discussion Preview
39 total comments (View all)
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 02:30

SparkyMuffin wrote:
coffeewithchess wrote:I just find it very odd they want to push system sales, but only doing it with Nintendo titles...like Game & Wario. Call of Duty, Skylanders, Just Dance 4, all games that are very popular third party games/series that are on the Wii U.


Well the thing is, you can only get Nintendo games on Nintendo platforms. If you show Call of Duty, Skylanders, Just Dance 4... You aren't showing off the console, but the games. And you can get the games on other consoles, which is not their goal.

For example, show off Call of Duty, they'll think "oh! I can just get that on my son's PS3!"


Except, you can't play Call of Duty on just the GamePad on the PS3, only on the Wii U. That is a Wii U only feature, and a big one for me as a parent that games. Even for our oldest who can play Mutant Mudds Deluxe (current example) while the youngest watches a cartoon on Netflix, it's awesome. Again, they should use every opportunity to push systems, INCLUDING with third party games, not excluding them I think. Game & Wario can't be played on just the GamePad, sure, but mention another third party game with the "playing games on just the GamePad while watching Jimmy Fallon" line.

Mentioning some third party games like, will at least let general people that might not know it, realize they can get those games on the Wii U. We already know that the Call of Duty games on the Nintendo consoles get talked about last and least (for whatever reasons), and I don't think mentioning a third party game here/there would be a bad thing, and could be seen as an olive branch for some third parties.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 03:16

Really need to quit linking to posted videos that get taken down due to copyrights lol.

Also, Fallon is terribly un-funny most of the time, at least in my opinion, but I do appreciate that he seems to be a Nintendo fan, and tries to get Nintendo and their consoles/games exposure. Props for that.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 03:29

Devil_Rising wrote:Really need to quit linking to posted videos that get taken down due to copyrights lol.

It was a link to the GoNintendo YouTube channel. He posted it here after uploading it himself, most likely.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 03:45

Devil_Rising wrote:Really need to quit linking to posted videos that get taken down due to copyrights lol.

Also, Fallon is terribly un-funny most of the time, at least in my opinion, but I do appreciate that he seems to be a Nintendo fan, and tries to get Nintendo and their consoles/games exposure. Props for that.


You do know that Nintendo pays NBC for that right?

And yeah, I agree Fallon sucks the big one. Wish they'd get somebody cool like Leno or Conan instead.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 03:55

coffeewithchess wrote:
SparkyMuffin wrote:
coffeewithchess wrote:I just find it very odd they want to push system sales, but only doing it with Nintendo titles...like Game & Wario. Call of Duty, Skylanders, Just Dance 4, all games that are very popular third party games/series that are on the Wii U.


Well the thing is, you can only get Nintendo games on Nintendo platforms. If you show Call of Duty, Skylanders, Just Dance 4... You aren't showing off the console, but the games. And you can get the games on other consoles, which is not their goal.

For example, show off Call of Duty, they'll think "oh! I can just get that on my son's PS3!"


Except, you can't play Call of Duty on just the GamePad on the PS3, only on the Wii U. That is a Wii U only feature, and a big one for me as a parent that games. Even for our oldest who can play Mutant Mudds Deluxe (current example) while the youngest watches a cartoon on Netflix, it's awesome. Again, they should use every opportunity to push systems, INCLUDING with third party games, not excluding them I think. Game & Wario can't be played on just the GamePad, sure, but mention another third party game with the "playing games on just the GamePad while watching Jimmy Fallon" line.

Mentioning some third party games like, will at least let general people that might not know it, realize they can get those games on the Wii U. We already know that the Call of Duty games on the Nintendo consoles get talked about last and least (for whatever reasons), and I don't think mentioning a third party game here/there would be a bad thing, and could be seen as an olive branch for some third parties.


As has been said a million times before, off TV play isn't a significant feature in this day and age. Do you REALLY only have one TV in your house? If so, how the hell did you afford a WiiU to begin with?

I've had a gaming-dedicated TV since the Gamecube days. I don't know anybody who hasn't this gen. Worst case scenario, you can purchase a 20" HD flatscreen monitor for gaming on anything with an HDMI output for under $100. If you are willing to go used, you can find one for half that.

And if they are still going to brush those arguments aside and push off tv play anyways, they should at least do it with titles that haven't been available in $3 indie bundles before. Off TV play doesn't mean much for a game I can get much cheaper and run on any laptop made within the last decade.

Off TV play, while a nice bulletpoint, isn't going to sway many people into buying the WiiU. They should focus MUCh more heavily on games that use the Gamepad in tandem with the TV, games that simply won't function on another console. Which I guess would only be NintendoLand and ZombiU :| .
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 05:22

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:As has been said a million times before, off TV play isn't a significant feature in this day and age. Do you REALLY only have one TV in your house? If so, how the hell did you afford a WiiU to begin with?

I've had a gaming-dedicated TV since the Gamecube days. I don't know anybody who hasn't this gen. Worst case scenario, you can purchase a 20" HD flatscreen monitor for gaming on anything with an HDMI output for under $100. If you are willing to go used, you can find one for half that.

And if they are still going to brush those arguments aside and push off tv play anyways, they should at least do it with titles that haven't been available in $3 indie bundles before. Off TV play doesn't mean much for a game I can get much cheaper and run on any laptop made within the last decade.

Off TV play, while a nice bulletpoint, isn't going to sway many people into buying the WiiU. They should focus MUCh more heavily on games that use the Gamepad in tandem with the TV, games that simply won't function on another console. Which I guess would only be NintendoLand and ZombiU :| .


Do you own a Wii U? Are you a parent of little ones? Do you have a kid that games? Perhaps Off-TV play isn't important to you. As I clarified above, I am a parent, and have a young one that games as well. We have three TVs in our house if you must know (maybe four, with one in storage), and as Nintendo talked about before E3 last year, sometimes you might want to be in the SAME room as another person, not in a basement. We have an HDTV, a very nice one. We got it after our Wii U, and despite getting it and having it where our Wii U is setup...I still use the GamePad only to play games the majority of the time when that option is offered.

Also, Call of Duty is the most popular FPS series in the world right now I do believe, and it makes great use of the GamePad for Off-TV play, as well as local splitscreen multiplayer. One player on the GamePad, one player on the TV.

95%+ of my time with Call of Duty, played on just the GamePad.
95%+ of my time with Assassin's Creed III, played on just the GamePad.

You're assumption about only having one TV, I don't follow and clearly you're talking out of thin air and ignoring what was written (about being a parent, gaming myself, having a little one that games). None of that shows only having one TV.

People like you, and Emily Rogers who wrote a piece containing a paragraph not understanding the Off-TV aspect, might not be the market for it (maybe, you just don't understand it?). Then again, you might have missed the pre-E3 show in 2012 where they talked about the "why" behind it and even referenced a book on the topic? I'm not really sure, but having more than one TV does not matter.

How in 2013 can you talk out of thin air and ignore what people have specifically written, and what Nintendo said, I'm not sure, but it's a daily occurrence these days. Michael Pachter likes to ignore history/facts when making statements out of thin air, and he is talked about on every site almost. So, nothing really surprises me anymore.

So, let me be the millionth Wii U owner to say it, who plays it quite often and uses the Off-TV play, if a Wii U game is not a console exclusive (like Watch Dogs), but has Off-TV play as a feature...I will buy the Wii U version over the other versions every day of the week. Because Off-TV play is that significant of a feature to me, in this day and age.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 06:38

C-C-C-C-COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!!!

Umm, I mean, the video is no longer available.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 06:41

@BlueRangerVegeta
Why do you constantly spout off misinformation as facts? Nintendo does NOT pay to be a "guest" on Jimmy Fallon. Do you think Jennifer Aniston or Seth Rogen (or whoever) pay to be on talk shows? No. Talk shows need guests. Stars/Bands/Companies want to promote their movies/albums/products. It mutually beneficial for both parties. Talk shows make money from advertisers, not because their guests pay them.

And secondly, just because YOU don't care about Off-TV play, doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't care either. I've seen countless message board posts, articles, and reviews all praising Off-TV Play and it's inclusion in games. In fact, I think it's probably the most touted feature by users and the game media.

You are incredibly misinformed about nearly every topic you post about on this site and I'm sick of it. If you want to try and be part of an intelligent conversation, you need to educate yourself first so you at least appear to know what you are talking about. And you don't. Ever. I'm sorry if this comes off rude, but I can't handle your ignorance anymore. Someone needs to call you out on your schtick, because it's beyond getting old.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 07:49

Off TV play for me is by far the best aspect of the gamepad
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 10:28

DonnyDarko420 wrote:@BlueRangerVegeta
Why do you constantly spout off misinformation as facts? Nintendo does NOT pay to be a "guest" on Jimmy Fallon. Do you think Jennifer Aniston or Seth Rogen (or whoever) pay to be on talk shows? No. Talk shows need guests. Stars/Bands/Companies want to promote their movies/albums/products. It mutually beneficial for both parties. Talk shows make money from advertisers, not because their guests pay them.

And secondly, just because YOU don't care about Off-TV play, doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't care either. I've seen countless message board posts, articles, and reviews all praising Off-TV Play and it's inclusion in games. In fact, I think it's probably the most touted feature by users and the game media.

You are incredibly misinformed about nearly every topic you post about on this site and I'm sick of it. If you want to try and be part of an intelligent conversation, you need to educate yourself first so you at least appear to know what you are talking about. And you don't. Ever. I'm sorry if this comes off rude, but I can't handle your ignorance anymore. Someone needs to call you out on your schtick, because it's beyond getting old.


Thank god you are here to set us straight and cure me of my ignorance! Too bad you yourself don't know what you are talking about.

Do Anniston/Rogan pay to get on the shows? No. But the studio making whatever movie they are plugging, or the network making whatever TV show is being plugged? Not always, but a lot of times yes, they do pay the network (assuming it isn't Conan yet again plugging BBT or Leno/Fallon plugging any of NBC's crap). They pay just like Nintendo paid. This is common knowledge, I don't know why you plan to debate me on this, networks have been treating their late night talk shows like glorified infomercials for the entertainment industry since before I was born. Of course the actors/athletes/whoever get paid a paltry sum for appearing on the show as well.

Take your own advice and educate yourself on how the world works.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 10:37

wiired wrote:Off TV play for me is by far the best aspect of the gamepad



It's certainly one of them.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 10:38

Yeah, off-tv is the best part about the wii u for me.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 10:48

coffeewithchess wrote:
BlueRangerVegeta wrote:As has been said a million times before, off TV play isn't a significant feature in this day and age. Do you REALLY only have one TV in your house? If so, how the hell did you afford a WiiU to begin with?

I've had a gaming-dedicated TV since the Gamecube days. I don't know anybody who hasn't this gen. Worst case scenario, you can purchase a 20" HD flatscreen monitor for gaming on anything with an HDMI output for under $100. If you are willing to go used, you can find one for half that.

And if they are still going to brush those arguments aside and push off tv play anyways, they should at least do it with titles that haven't been available in $3 indie bundles before. Off TV play doesn't mean much for a game I can get much cheaper and run on any laptop made within the last decade.

Off TV play, while a nice bulletpoint, isn't going to sway many people into buying the WiiU. They should focus MUCh more heavily on games that use the Gamepad in tandem with the TV, games that simply won't function on another console. Which I guess would only be NintendoLand and ZombiU :| .


Do you own a Wii U? Are you a parent of little ones? Do you have a kid that games? Perhaps Off-TV play isn't important to you. As I clarified above, I am a parent, and have a young one that games as well. We have three TVs in our house if you must know (maybe four, with one in storage), and as Nintendo talked about before E3 last year, sometimes you might want to be in the SAME room as another person, not in a basement. We have an HDTV, a very nice one. We got it after our Wii U, and despite getting it and having it where our Wii U is setup...I still use the GamePad only to play games the majority of the time when that option is offered.

Also, Call of Duty is the most popular FPS series in the world right now I do believe, and it makes great use of the GamePad for Off-TV play, as well as local splitscreen multiplayer. One player on the GamePad, one player on the TV.

95%+ of my time with Call of Duty, played on just the GamePad.
95%+ of my time with Assassin's Creed III, played on just the GamePad.

You're assumption about only having one TV, I don't follow and clearly you're talking out of thin air and ignoring what was written (about being a parent, gaming myself, having a little one that games). None of that shows only having one TV.

People like you, and Emily Rogers who wrote a piece containing a paragraph not understanding the Off-TV aspect, might not be the market for it (maybe, you just don't understand it?). Then again, you might have missed the pre-E3 show in 2012 where they talked about the "why" behind it and even referenced a book on the topic? I'm not really sure, but having more than one TV does not matter.

How in 2013 can you talk out of thin air and ignore what people have specifically written, and what Nintendo said, I'm not sure, but it's a daily occurrence these days. Michael Pachter likes to ignore history/facts when making statements out of thin air, and he is talked about on every site almost. So, nothing really surprises me anymore.

So, let me be the millionth Wii U owner to say it, who plays it quite often and uses the Off-TV play, if a Wii U game is not a console exclusive (like Watch Dogs), but has Off-TV play as a feature...I will buy the Wii U version over the other versions every day of the week. Because Off-TV play is that significant of a feature to me, in this day and age.


I've never said Off-TV play isn't a minor convenience. It's certainly better to have the option when the Gamepad screen is otherwise only being used for a map of HUD than to not have it at all. However, that doesn't make it a massive feature to the average household. I've used it once or twice when I have to wait several minutes to find a match on Injustice or a NFS game so that I could watch TV while waiting to finally find a game, but otherwise I've had no use for it.

Of course having multiple TV's matters, why would you say that it doesn't? During my childhood, if I wanted to play a video game and the TV was being used, I unhooked the console, hooked it into one of our other 2 TV's, and play it. The only difference if that there were a lot more cables than WiiU needs so it was a lot more complicated, with WiiU all you have is the plug and HDMI connection.

Who needs Off TV play in a world where you can buy a 20" flatscreen monitor for under $100? I could see the appeal for something like this in the NES/SNES/N64 when a lot more households didn't have a TV in practically every room, but it's pretty irrelevant now. If you are unwilling for any reason to unhook the console and move it if somebody is on your TV, that's on you. It's just like the argument for supporting digital games because gamers are finding it too difficult to get up and change the disc in their console. I've seen a lot of marketing BS talking about how great the feature is, but never seen anyone have any logical, legitimately good things to say about it beyond the fact that you don't have to take the 5 minutes to move your console.

The CoD multiplayer you mentioned isn't exactly typical off-TV play now is it? That falls more in line with my NintendoLand/ZombiU examples. That's what they should be pushing for regarding the Gamepad functionality.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 11:45

I have 4 TVs and a computer monitor that accepts HDMI, but I still use off-tv play on the gamepad. When my nieces and nephews come to visit, I'm not gonna put them in one room to play Minecraft on the 360 and then go to another room to play the WiiU. Also, why would i go buy an additional $100 TV that i have to hook up every time i want to play something when the big TV is being used? It's much more convenient and efficient to just use the gamepad.

I feel like off-tv play is a pretty big deal and i think it appeals to a lot of people just for the convenience factor alone.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 13:30

Why would I take the time to unhook the Wii U to hook it up in my room to hermit myself from my family when I can switch to Off TV play in the middle of playing. That's the key, I don't lose progress or have to disconnect from an online match, I just push a button and keep playing.

God forbid I want to see my family as much as I can before I move out next year and see them much less.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 18:42

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:
I've never said Off-TV play isn't a minor convenience. It's certainly better to have the option when the Gamepad screen is otherwise only being used for a map of HUD than to not have it at all. However, that doesn't make it a massive feature to the average household. I've used it once or twice when I have to wait several minutes to find a match on Injustice or a NFS game so that I could watch TV while waiting to finally find a game, but otherwise I've had no use for it.

Of course having multiple TV's matters, why would you say that it doesn't? During my childhood, if I wanted to play a video game and the TV was being used, I unhooked the console, hooked it into one of our other 2 TV's, and play it. The only difference if that there were a lot more cables than WiiU needs so it was a lot more complicated, with WiiU all you have is the plug and HDMI connection.

Who needs Off TV play in a world where you can buy a 20" flatscreen monitor for under $100? I could see the appeal for something like this in the NES/SNES/N64 when a lot more households didn't have a TV in practically every room, but it's pretty irrelevant now. If you are unwilling for any reason to unhook the console and move it if somebody is on your TV, that's on you. It's just like the argument for supporting digital games because gamers are finding it too difficult to get up and change the disc in their console. I've seen a lot of marketing BS talking about how great the feature is, but never seen anyone have any logical, legitimately good things to say about it beyond the fact that you don't have to take the 5 minutes to move your console.

The CoD multiplayer you mentioned isn't exactly typical off-TV play now is it? That falls more in line with my NintendoLand/ZombiU examples. That's what they should be pushing for regarding the Gamepad functionality.


Thanks for continuing to talk out of thin air, and ignoring what I wrote the first time.

Here, let me bold it for you, since you may be unhooking your Wii U/PS3 to move to another TV, and not have time to actually read what some people write:
"sometimes you might want to be in the SAME room as another person, not in a basement."


Call of Duty's multiplayer can be played JUST on the GamePad, and it offers the other features as well. Perhaps the fact I said, "95%+ of my time with Call of Duty, played on just the GamePad.", was missed? Maybe you tripped over a Wii U wire when you were moving the system reading the comment on your smartphone, and just missed that portion? :lol:

Here's an example of Off-TV play I wrote about recently:
"I do not play Black Ops II on our TV if our little ones are around. They had gone up for naps, and I decided to play some online.

I was playing Black Ops II, in the middle of a match, when I heard our oldest call out to me that he was skipping his nap. He was rounding the corner, about to enter the room. Before he had stepped into the room, I had already switched the TV to another INPUT, and the game was already going on the GamePad.

He was able to skip his nap, watch some cartoons and play with trains, while I was able to get some matches in on Black Ops II.

My wife was about 2 steps behind him when he was heading for the living room, and she couldn't even react fast enough and was surprised I had already switched the game off the TV."

Again, if you don't have kids, or perhaps have kids and prefer not to talk or spend much time with them (how do you afford a NANNY!?) if given the choice, then Off-TV play might not make sense to you. Or, if you prefer to game alone, in a basement/cave even if given the choice to be around others, I can see that.

Off-TV play is the biggest selling feature for me in games now if it's a multiplatform game, as I mentioned about Watch Dogs. Again, mentioning "You can play the newest Call of Duty online on just the GamePad, while watching Jimmy Fallon...AND get all the DLC free for the next 30 days" would have been what I was looking more for, but NOA just can't get it's message/act together very well.

But, on the show, they showed a current game (Game & Wario) few will probably care about, then showed a game not releasing for another 6 months. Failed to mention a bigger, more popular, game out already? He could have even mentioned NSMBU during the line about Off-TV play. At least that's a Mario game already out on the system. I'm looking more at it from the third party side though, and a way for NOA to start making that better now, not when/if they increase the install base by a significant number in the future.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 19:15

BlueRanger, how many times we gotta go through this....
as awesome as your ego might be, your opinion is not the opinion of the general public and is not an inarguable fact. your opinion is YOUR opinion, and i think you need to state it as such more often. otherwise, it gets interpreted as an inflammatory remark about what you truly feel is the general truth across video gamers the world over (which it isn't), then people respond and retaliate, then you get upset, then they get upset, and so on and so on and so on until every forum you have commented on dwindles into a pissing match about who knows more about what and why and the topic veers dramatically off course and things get deleted or forums get shut down or - please, please, no - people get banned.
and there's just no fun in that. right?
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 19:30

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:
Devil_Rising wrote:Really need to quit linking to posted videos that get taken down due to copyrights lol.

Also, Fallon is terribly un-funny most of the time, at least in my opinion, but I do appreciate that he seems to be a Nintendo fan, and tries to get Nintendo and their consoles/games exposure. Props for that.


You do know that Nintendo pays NBC for that right?

And yeah, I agree Fallon sucks the big one. Wish they'd get somebody cool like Leno or Conan instead.


Yeah they should go on Conan for his video game week... oh wait.
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 21:38

I always love the reaction from the crowd in these shows. When they got the catsuit. OMG :P
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 23:09

@CorusFace: Very well put
User avatar
22 Jun 2013 23:15

Ya they just had the Watch Dogs on the other night they could have mentioned that Watch dogs Will also be launching on Wii u same day as other platforms
User avatar
23 Jun 2013 11:17

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:

Do Anniston/Rogan pay to get on the shows? No. But the studio making whatever movie they are plugging, or the network making whatever TV show is being plugged? Not always, but a lot of times yes, they do pay the network (assuming it isn't Conan yet again plugging BBT or Leno/Fallon plugging any of NBC's crap). They pay just like Nintendo paid. whoever get paid a paltry sum for appearing on the show as well.

.


What you are saying here doesn't seem right/accurate to me.
Do you have any links to substantiate this claim?
User avatar
23 Jun 2013 20:05

The crowds reaction when Reggie mentioned SM3DW is promising... I'm hoping that's mainstreams general reaction to the system/game this holiday season. The trolls make up the vast minority of console purchasers, but judging by the internets response to the game at its announcement, you would think this is the worse game ever from the "core" gamers.
User avatar
24 Jun 2013 02:31

The mainstream reaction to Mario games in general has always been positive. It has ONLY ever been the "tardcore" nerdlings of the internet that have railed against it.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way