Goriginal Content

EoD - VB on 3DS VC

EoD - Game combos

Wooden Sen'sey rev

GN Podcast #467

Renegade Kid reveal!

EoD - Miiverse use
 

Nintendo combines digital and retail sales in best seller lists

Data regarding physical sales of games in April are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo's internal sales figures. All numbers are specific to the United States only.

Wii U

New Super Luigi U
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario World
LEGO City Undercover
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Mega Man X
TANK! TANK! TANK!
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Super Mario Bros. 2
Trine 2: Director's Cut

3DS

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Fire Emblem Awakening
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Project X Zone
Mario Kart 7
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

Link, Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
11 total comments (View all)
User avatar
16 Jul 2013 01:26

Considering how high on the list Mega Man X is...I dunno how to react. And I hate everyone for not having Super Metroid be higher on that list.
User avatar
16 Jul 2013 02:27

Strange to see Project X Zone actually on there.

If nothing else, maybe it will promote more localization from 3rd parties.

I'm glad 3DS is topped with actually new games.

And that more people bought the NSLU DLC than NSMBU?
User avatar
16 Jul 2013 02:50

This means nothing without numbers.
No Avatar
16 Jul 2013 03:13

MoldyClay wrote:Strange to see Project X Zone actually on there.

If nothing else, maybe it will promote more localization from 3rd parties.

I'm glad 3DS is topped with actually new games.

And that more people bought the NSLU DLC than NSMBU?


The Luigi vs. Mario should be expected. Nintendo is struggling to sell the console and NSMBU has an absurd attach rate to the console. Once Nintendo said Luigi U was coming and it was cheaper than retail, everyone who bought NSMBU and liked it went and grabbed Luigi U. In fact, the stories around here have even said that it was the retailers that wanted a physical copy of Luigi U, not Nintendo themselves.

That, and we are firmly in the doldrums of summer where sales/purchases of games as well as NEW games are few and far between. People are just anxious to play anything, so $20 on Luigi is a fair and worthwhile deal. I actually wish they would release more games in the Summer rather than cram 85% from Sept.-Dec.
User avatar
16 Jul 2013 03:18

Shaanyboi wrote:This means nothing without numbers.


Well we know FE:A did like 80k digital in its' first month. So that would likely indicate that ACNL is above that.
User avatar
16 Jul 2013 04:56

DBPanterA wrote:
The Luigi vs. Mario should be expected. Nintendo is struggling to sell the console and NSMBU has an absurd attach rate to the console. Once Nintendo said Luigi U was coming and it was cheaper than retail, everyone who bought NSMBU and liked it went and grabbed Luigi U. In fact, the stories around here have even said that it was the retailers that wanted a physical copy of Luigi U, not Nintendo themselves.

That, and we are firmly in the doldrums of summer where sales/purchases of games as well as NEW games are few and far between. People are just anxious to play anything, so $20 on Luigi is a fair and worthwhile deal. I actually wish they would release more games in the Summer rather than cram 85% from Sept.-Dec.


You're missing what my confusion is. I'm not surprised that NSLU is selling well.

What I want to know is how did DLC that can't be played without NSMBU sell more than NSMBU? The retail copy is not out in North America until the end of August, so it's all digital sales. The only way this would work is if EVERY person who bought NSMBU bought NSLU and it's just a tie in sales.

As in, it makes absolutely no sense that more people bought the DLC than the game itself, unless there are a ton of used copies floating around and people bought NSLU, traded NSMBU back in, someone else got it and downloaded NSLU and so on.

While not exactly the same, it's comparable to if, say NSMBU sold more copies than the Wii U itself.
User avatar
16 Jul 2013 08:54

I'm sure the sales are not lifetime. It would make sense that in the last two months, or month, that Luigi outsold Mario.
User avatar
16 Jul 2013 10:09

@MoldyClay @KingBroly
I'm thinking this must just be for June (or a smaller period of time than LTD) like @cyruszuo said.
User avatar
16 Jul 2013 11:33

Lego City and Monster Hunter must be doing pretty good at retail since neither showed up on Nintendo's top 20 digital sales. Cool seeing Injustice up there too.
User avatar
16 Jul 2013 14:37

DonnyDarko420 wrote:@MoldyClay @KingBroly
I'm thinking this must just be for June (or a smaller period of time than LTD) like @cyruszuo said.


So Fire Emblem & Luigi were still selling that well? Insane.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way