Goriginal Content

EoD - Come back, SF

EoD - Come back, F-0

GN Podcast #453

Cult County chat!

EoD - Missed chance?

EoD - Waluigi time?
 

Nintendo customer service says there will be no Wii U ambassador program

Coming from a customer service rep...

Thank you for taking the time to write with your questions regarding a Wii U Ambassador program. The Ambassador program is only available to any Nintendo 3DS owner who purchased their system before August 12, 2011 and there are no plans for a similar program for Wii U.

I know that this isn’t what you were hoping for, but we appreciate your support of our products now and in the future. I also want to assure you that your comments will be added to our records and made available for other departments at the company to use as they see fit.

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
51 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
29 Aug 2013 15:47

Syrek wrote:
linklonk wrote:@Gold_Ultima
Play what exactly?


And here's another thing that's been really bothering me as of late. Everyone says that there's nothing to play on the Wii U, even when it was launched when in reality that's complete bull crap. I was there during the launch, games like New Super Mario Bros U, Assasins Creed 3, Black Ops 2, Mass Effect 3, Zombie U, Ninja Gaiden 3, and more came out on launch. Now if u didn't buy them, that's one thing but to say there was nothing good to play is kinda a lie. Not only that but games like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Bit Trip Runner 2, Game and Wario, Pikmin 3, Duck Tales Remasteded, New Super Luigi U and more have come out since launch. So while it did lack some first party and third party content, it was not lacking in some good games. Content has come out since launch and even good content in my opinion. There are games to play on the Wii U but most people have to whine and complain just because they decided not to get some of these games. It's ridiculous! As gamers we need to stop being so greedy all the time. I always had something to play on my Wii U since launch, even if it looked sparse, I had many options that I was given. It's sad when many gamers don't seem to recognize this and have to negative nannies all the time. I won't deny the Wii U has had a rocky start, but so did the 3DS and that didn't stop people from enjoying it. Yes it took a while for some big quality titles to come out but when it did people stopped complaining and the same is happening for the Wii U this year. So for all that is good stop whining about the lack of content. That's your view and your decision for not choosing to take advantage of the titles already released this far. At least some of us are still optimistic and level headed.


I agree with what you said, but you didn't even bring up the fact that when the whiners say no games, as frustrating as the eShop can be in regards to limited releases, there has been plenty of games released on it, so much, I have a backlog of games on the Wii U. Heck I am a platinum member for Club Nintendo almost entirely based off my purchases of eShop games on the Wii U and 3DS. Then we will get complainers about no account system for digital purchases (which I agree would be nice), but I also do not sell my consoles and my NES and Game Boy still work, so I am not worried.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 15:51

A price cut after a year isn't as unexpected as cutting after 4-5 months like the 3DS so I not really miffed at no ambassador program. In fact, the 3DS ambassador program was a nice bonus after not getting anything for being an early adopter in the past.

That being said, this is the second console launch that Nintendo has dropped the ball with support in the early months and while it's not all under their control, even several games that they promised would be ready by launch, launch window, or even shortly after have practically all been delayed quite a while and the drought for the first half of the year for the system was bad and comparable to the 3DS.

Loading times have been improved slightly but the summer update still isn't here and loading times are still bad in some games, Nintendo TVii functions such as Tivo/DVR control still aren't enabled and other TVii functionality isn't even available outside of the US if I'm not mistaken, the 30 cent VC games had a few nice selections but the VC in general hardly is even in full swing, no ways to transfer accounts or access your games if you lose your console, etc. There are things missing still and not a whole lot to get people excited that own the system at this point and when that Wind Waker HD bundle is looking cool sitting at $50 less than the system did at launch with Nintendoland and it comes with Zelda and a digital version of Hyrule Historia, I can't help but feel a little burnt

And I'm sure there are people much more willing to sell their console and who'd feel betrayed by Nintendo for less, but they definitely could do more to keep their loyal customers happy and maintain their good will with them at this point in time. After all, we are going to be the ones Nintendo is counting on to buy their games this holiday and help them survive the launch of the other next gen consoles. I'm hoping they realize that they need the early adopters to be excited too, not just the people who haven't wanted to jump in yet.

They don't have to give away a whole bunch of games, but they should do something to show their appreciation.
No Avatar
29 Aug 2013 15:52

Meh, i'd love an ambassador program but not having one isn't a big deal. Even though i'm not jumping for joy at the moment for having a Wii U, i still think it's a good system. At least we're finally starting to get some heavy hitters for the system so that will help a lot for me personally.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 15:53

linklonk wrote:@Gold_Ultima
Play what exactly?


Let's see, I've been playing since I got the system day 1:

New Super Mario U
Call of Duty BOII
Assassin's Creed III
Nintendo Land
Zombi U
Star Wars Pinball
Rayman Challenges App
Super Street Fighter II New Challengers
All the 30cent VC games which include Super Metroid, F-Zero, Kirby, etc.
Earthbound
Mega Man X
Ninja Gaiden III Razor's Edge
Sonic Racing Transformed
Lot's of Demo's, most recently Wonderful 101's epic demo
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Game and Wario
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Miiverse
Internet Browser
Finishing up Xenoblade Chronicles
Fragile Dreams
Pandora's Tower

There are still things I want to play as well:

Pikmin 3
Cave Story
Trine 2
Darksiders 2
Batman Arkham City
Lego City
Injustice Gods Among Us
Resident Evil Revelations
Nano Assault
Ducktales Remastered
Mighty Switch Force
New Super Luigi U

There has a been a drought of big system selling software, but as a gamer, I've found no shortage of stuff to keep my Wii U on almost daily.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 15:56

@linklonk
Next time you should probably wait for a game you want to play to be released before you buy a new game system...or give it a year or so.

Not @linklonk
I agree with all those who think it's ridiculous that so many people feel entitled to a Wii U Ambassador Program. I'm not going to rehash through everything again, but I'm happy to see a good amount of people who seem to be grounded to reality and understand the way things usually work. I would love more free games, but come on. Stop begging for an unneccessary handout. If you aren't happy with your decision to buy a Wii U for $350, learn from this experience and use that knowledge the next time you buy something.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 15:57

VC releases don't count, they're decades old games we've played in the past. Same with Wii games. Entirely different thing than new Wii U games.

Also, system features such as Miiverse, Netflix or Internet Browser don't count as games.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 16:10

well, they say that now...
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 16:17

DBPanterA wrote:
Syrek wrote:
linklonk wrote:@Gold_Ultima
Play what exactly?


And here's another thing that's been really bothering me as of late. Everyone says that there's nothing to play on the Wii U, even when it was launched when in reality that's complete bull crap. I was there during the launch, games like New Super Mario Bros U, Assasins Creed 3, Black Ops 2, Mass Effect 3, Zombie U, Ninja Gaiden 3, and more came out on launch. Now if u didn't buy them, that's one thing but to say there was nothing good to play is kinda a lie. Not only that but games like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Bit Trip Runner 2, Game and Wario, Pikmin 3, Duck Tales Remasteded, New Super Luigi U and more have come out since launch. So while it did lack some first party and third party content, it was not lacking in some good games. Content has come out since launch and even good content in my opinion. There are games to play on the Wii U but most people have to whine and complain just because they decided not to get some of these games. It's ridiculous! As gamers we need to stop being so greedy all the time. I always had something to play on my Wii U since launch, even if it looked sparse, I had many options that I was given. It's sad when many gamers don't seem to recognize this and have to negative nannies all the time. I won't deny the Wii U has had a rocky start, but so did the 3DS and that didn't stop people from enjoying it. Yes it took a while for some big quality titles to come out but when it did people stopped complaining and the same is happening for the Wii U this year. So for all that is good stop whining about the lack of content. That's your view and your decision for not choosing to take advantage of the titles already released this far. At least some of us are still optimistic and level headed.


I agree with what you said, but you didn't even bring up the fact that when the whiners say no games, as frustrating as the eShop can be in regards to limited releases, there has been plenty of games released on it, so much, I have a backlog of games on the Wii U. Heck I am a platinum member for Club Nintendo almost entirely based off my purchases of eShop games on the Wii U and 3DS. Then we will get complainers about no account system for digital purchases (which I agree would be nice), but I also do not sell my consoles and my NES and Game Boy still work, so I am not worried.


My bad. But thanks for adding those important points. I completely agree.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 16:29

plan9 wrote:VC releases don't count, they're decades old games we've played in the past. Same with Wii games. Entirely different thing than new Wii U games.

Also, system features such as Miiverse, Netflix or Internet Browser don't count as games.


Excuse me? If I'm actively playing it on my Wii U, it sure the hell does count. Not to mention I haven't played the Kirby NES game, among others. So, just because they are old doesn't mean everyone has played them all. Some people also like to play a game more than once. Wii games count if I'm using my Wii U to play them, it's something you can play on Wii U.

"Don't count." Lol.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 16:44

FadedAreWii wrote:[Excuse me? If I'm actively playing it on my Wii U, it sure the hell does count. Not to mention I haven't played the Kirby NES game, among others. So, just because they are old doesn't mean everyone has played them all. Some people also like to play a game more than once. Wii games count if I'm using my Wii U to play them, it's something you can play on Wii U.

"Don't count." Lol.


Good for you, and I enjoy VC content too, but most people including me bought the Wii U to play Wii U games, not old Wii or NES or SNES games I can play on my old systems too. So, they don't count as Wii U games and are basically just an excuse for the drought. Better than nothing certainly, but not at all equivalent of getting new Wii U content, as we were supposed to.
No Avatar
29 Aug 2013 16:57

Sammet wrote:Good. (I say this as a Day 1 buyer of both 3DS and Wii U)


Why's this good? You could argue that they don't owe it to us because the drop isn't as dramatic as 3DS's, but as a Day 1 buyer of Wii U I'd still love some free games for buying the system so early.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 17:21

Its obviously the consumer's fault, clearly. Hopefully that person has learnt the valuable lesson of never again supporting Nintendo's products at launch.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 17:26

This is kind of annoying. I mean, we who were loyal enough to buy the WiiU at launch got treated with a games drought (despite Iwata saying he wouldn't repeat the 3DS's problem), a slow OS, and undeveloped or outright missing features (VC, TVii). And all of that for 50 dollars more. They don't have to do something so big as a free full title game or something, but I would like to see some sign of appreciation for us buying early and buying for more.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 17:28

To all the people complaining about this and acting like Nintendo owes them something for a purchasing decision that they made as an, you know, adult. Hey guys, remember how Sony cut the price of the ridiculously overpriced $599 PS3 by $100 whopping dollars just 8 months after it's launch in November 2006 the following year in July of 2007 and didn't offer any sort of ambassador program? Ah, but you know, facts and all, who needs 'em?
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 17:33

Most everyone that bought a Wii U bought to take advantage off all of its features, which include VC and Wii backwards compatability. Yes, they count. You don't get to discredit them just because.

Besides, there is still plenty there if you wan't to make up rules and remove Wii U features and take off VC and Wii. I'm still left with plenty of retail and digital.

How about we also keep in mind all I did was point out what I've been playing on my Wii U and you can not tell me "things I've played" don't count in a list of "things I've played", that's ridiculous.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 17:47

^^ Yes, those other features added to the value of the Wii U, but the main reason to buy a new games console is to play new games console games on that, I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand the frustration when no titles have been available to do that (despite Nintendo assuring us 3DS situation wouldn't repeat itself).

TVii also added to the value of the Wii U a lot in my mind, it was one big touted feature of the system, yet here we are 9-10 months after I bought the system and Nintendo hasn't bothered to give so much as an update on what the hell is going on with the service in Europe.

The fact is Nintendo majorly f----d up the launch and especially the following Q1/Q2 of the Wii U, and early adopters are the ones who have suffered for it. Sure, Nintendo doesn't have to give us anything if they feel they've done OK job with this (they don't, they've said as much in countless interviews), but in that case I hope they're also fine with the big part of that same crowd, their core audience, not supporting new Nintendo systems at launch from now on. After being burned twice, I'm kinda done with it.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 17:59

Like I said, take away VC and Wii and you are still left with plenty of "Wii U" games, the VC and Wii just add to what I've been playing. Your problem is you are arguing with me about something I'm not arguing. You are trying to speak for a bunch of people you have no real stats on and there is actually proof to the contrary of what you are saying(e.g. Earthbound sales doing great), while I was simply listing what I've personally been doing with my system.

Nowhere have I said I don't understand how someone could be frustrated, or even argued that the majority of owners likely aren't that frustrated, I provided a list of what I've been playing when someone questioned what there was to play. That person didn't throw out all the made up rules you have made up for this person's question. If someone asks what there is to play on Wii U, there is no logical reason to exclude VC and Wii games other than to make the system look worse. If anyone is having a hard time understanding something here, I think it just might be you.

I'd re-list all the Wii U games without Wii and VC, but something tells me you'd have an excuse as to why each one doesn't count. ;-)
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 18:41

That's not a lot of Wii U games, and many of those have just or are just now getting released, they didn't help with the drought last winter or spring all that much. Also, you listed many downloadable indie titles that are - while quality games and enjoyable - hardly anything to get psyched about much less buy a new system for. These are appetizers, but the main course has been missing. That's my opinion anyway, I suppose it isn't any less valid than yours.

Again, good if you have been satisfied/occupied with the VC games coupled with the thin Wii U lineup so far, but many folks aren't. If you felt disrespected by what I wrote then I'm sorry, that was never my intention. I respect your list and it has some quality games in it that I've enjoyed myself, my point was that the VC library and other features don't make up for the lack of Wii U-specific software (I suppose I should've been more clear on that).

I don't think I've made up any rules, but I do know that when my friends have asked me what is there to play on Wii U to justify the purchase, so far I've been hard-pressed to find an answer that would put the system in a positive light and get them interested in purchasing one. I know for a fact that they aren't impressed if I start listing old Wii and VC games, if anything that tells people there really isn't that much must-have Wii U-specific content so far. Of course, that will all start to change in the coming months (although that was never the point, the point was the 9 months leading to this 8) ). Anyway, we're getting way off-rails here, better stop before I start repeating myself any more..
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 19:14

They just shouldn't have cut the price yet... They should have waited until winter. They are not gaining as much money as they would have otherwise...
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 20:53

Why would they need to.

No seriously, why would they need to.

It's a 50 dollar price drop.

It's almost a year after the system launched, so a small price drop at this time is inevitable.

There are tons of games to buy for wii U if you look for them.

Why don't people get that.
User avatar
29 Aug 2013 21:41

Like I said, you'd have an excuse for each one. ;-) Though I was a bit off since I didn't see your couple blanket statements to consume them all coming. Ha ha, good one.

"many folks aren't." - You should really stop projecting your opinion to try and lend more weight to it. There are always going to be people dissatisfied, how significant that number is can't be attained as there are WAY too many variables to be considered.
User avatar
30 Aug 2013 04:52

Nachoz Rule wrote:
Sammet wrote:Good. (I say this as a Day 1 buyer of both 3DS and Wii U)


Why's this good? You could argue that they don't owe it to us because the drop isn't as dramatic as 3DS's, but as a Day 1 buyer of Wii U I'd still love some free games for buying the system so early.



Because look at the reactions. If they did a Wii U ambassador program it would be demanded for every other console they ever release - this wouldn't be asked for if they hadn't done the 3DS one. We need to all accept that was a one off.

(let's just clear up I'm sure EVERYBODY would love free stuff, that's not the point here)
User avatar
30 Aug 2013 06:23

I can live with that. I've gotten more than $50 worth out of my Wii U this year.
User avatar
30 Aug 2013 11:13

plan9 wrote:^^ Yes, those other features added to the value of the Wii U, but the main reason to buy a new games console is to play new games console games on that, I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand the frustration when no titles have been available to do that (despite Nintendo assuring us 3DS situation wouldn't repeat itself).[...]

Well, I must say that THE main reason >>I<< bought my WiiU WASN'T to play WiiU games... it was indeed for Miiverse. I'm not even joking. I bought that console, that cost 350$, only to be able to use Miiverse. And I have enjoyed the hell out of it.

Well, I also bought it to use the games as study material. The fun I had with them was just an added bonus IMHO.
User avatar
30 Aug 2013 16:18

JJtheTexan wrote:I can live with that. I've gotten more than $50 worth out of my Wii U this year.


You bring up another good point everyone seems to be ignoring; you've had the opportunity to play the system for 9-10months before anyone buying it at $300. There is value in that.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way