Goriginal Content

EoD - 3DS choices

Hyrule Warriors RV

GN Instagram best-of

Xeodrifter diary #7

GN Podcast #474

Cubemen 2 review
 

Nintendo wants Wii U to be the platform 'every developer wants to publish on', great titles hitting Wii U 2014

“We have strong relationships with third parties and have a strong lineup of upcoming games from key partners such as Ubisoft, Disney, SEGA and Warner Bros., among others. We realize that we need to continue to build the installed base to demonstrate that making games for Wii U is a good investment. We’re confident that we have the games necessary—both first- and third-party—to have a strong holiday season and expand the audience for Wii U.

We don’t see this as an either-or proposition. Nintendo is in the unique position of being both a hardware manufacturer as well as a software producer. We want Wii U to be the console that every developer wants to publish on. A key way to make that happen is to grow the installed base of Wii U owners, and we know that current Wii U owners are very happy with their purchases. Our great lineup in the second half of the year will create more buyers, and beyond that third-party support is important to attract as diverse an audience as possible.

(Second-half 2013 is) just the start of a steady flow of great games coming to Wii U, with lots more to come in 2014.” - Nintendo’s Scott Moffitt, EVP of Sales & Marketing for Nintendo of America
Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
83 total comments (View all)
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 01:53

DBPanterA wrote:
CSP wrote:ehm...no sorry, we got a ton of delays, I lost my interest on games like 101 and legends due to those delays (and the fact that 101 is not a great game either - platinum games fan here strangely enough) we got inferior ports with the gamepad doing very little to compensate, I COULD NOT finish ZombieU because it is just plain wrong (you get permanent death in a linera corridor with another 4 zombies good luck clearing this) Pikmin felt too similar to the first game (I am not going to say how disappointed I am with how the game looks because this is not that important) I got a few "bargains" on the eshop only for them to have DEEPER discounts 2 months later (no this NEVER happened with XBLA or PSN games) so I got a PS3 (!!!) to fill in the gap and let me play a few exclusives I missed (ie Ni No Kuni - Xillia - WHERE ON EARTH IS THAT JAPANESE SUPPORT ARAIN?) So...unhappy WiiU owner here.

"there isn't much that Ubisoft has revealed to actually say whether it's coming to Wii U or not."

Because the rest are Xboxone-PS4 only. Go have a look.As for my miiverse claims, if you can count 3.6 million unique IDs most of whom being HAPPY then I am wrong. If you can count 50-60K then you can simply NOT assume that the rest do not have internet connections .Remind me, wasn't Nintendo claiming that over 80% connected to the net even once?. So you can assume a significant portion of the ones who do not "participate" are the unhappy ones, it is a perfectly logical argument. If you don't get it, just report the whole thing please.


You lost me on W101 is not a great game. I have pumped 70 hours into it, will most likely pump another 40-50 into it. W101 is the only game worth buying for the Wii U given what Nintendo is offering from their 1st party games. W101 is the game that gives me everything I have wanted for the last 15 years: A challenge, replayability, and continued learning and mastering of the fighting system. People can say they didn't like the demo. The demo is the first stage in the game with limited abilities and opportunities to play. Mario, Zelda, Wii Fit, and Pikmin do not offer these characteristics.


While I think it is as a whole unfair to judge a game based on it's relative challenge...Considering you like games that have:
Challenge, Replayability, continued learning and mastering of the fighting system...

Play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Playing solo in the port (solo non single player quests) is a big challenge if you are by yourself. And if that isn't enough of a challenge the FREE DLC event quests offer even crazier challenges. A blademaster class(melee) can use armor with more defense, but if you use a gunner set you have half that armor so it is even MORE of a challenge to use that.

Replayability: The game thrives on being able to fight the same monster but have a different experience every time with how the monster acts. In a sense it gives you a similar replayability and easily over 200 hours of play time.

Continued mastering of the fighting system: You NEVER stop improving in this game. And even when you think you hit the best you can be, a new big monster makes you feel like you need to learn more. And that is only if you stick to a single weapon. Switch your weapon and it becomes an entirely different game in terms of feel and playstyle. To master your weapon it takes many hours of practice, switch to another weapon and it is like playing a new game all over again :D.

The skill system has a depth to it that allows for many different styles of play. Maybe you aren't too good and can't deal with the purposely long animations for putting away your weapon or drinking a potion (to punish those who do not know WHEN to heal). Go get the Deviljho G rank set with speed eating and use gems to get speed sheathe. Or maybe you are a pro and just need the damages! Get a set with Edgemaster to get a sharper weapon and a lot of attack.

I highly recommend the game for those wanting a challenge. Although this applies only to solo play, online play is fun and quick but not difficult. That said you still can bring your team down if you aren't careful although nobody ever gets too mad at you unless you are a constant repeat offender and make everybody fail the quest(doesn't happen often).

Admittedly, Monster Hunter 4 looks to be much more difficult but we don't even know when that will be getting localized so unless you can read Japanese and have a Jpn 3DS get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, the game has at least a good year before Monster hunter 4 comes out.
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 02:09

I'll have around 10 Wii u titles by the end of the month. I'm happy with it, that all the matters to me.
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 03:27

KingBroly wrote:
CSP wrote:

"It's called sampling, and Miiverse is a huge sample which proves the point, it's unarguable fact, the people that don't bother with it don't matter."

ehm...no not really, the ones who dont bother ARE those unsatisfied customers (who find miiverse a terribly simplified and restricted twitter that is not even worth the (new) 200 character limit. Sampling is something entirely different, please have a look at those definitions.


First off, provide some proof to your Miiverse claims or you're getting a warning for trolling.




I wasn't going to be bothered with new comments, but are you freaking kidding me? Is this the way you give warnings? Are you serious???

OF COURSE, this is how it is, he doesn't need to show proof for what he said about Miiverse! It proves itself! Actually, YOU are the one who has to prove otherwise!

There are only 3 things that might be happening here:

1)Not many players with connected WiiU consoles. Already debunked by Nintendo's statistics!

2)These players are all anti-social. If this is the case he have an even more serious problem than case 3!

3)CSP is correct. The Miiverse is a free service that is being heavily promoted in every chance, by both Nintendo and developers. It's a social service and there is nothing to keep someone from being a part of it, other than their will not to be. So, if you are saying that CSP needs to provide proof or get a warning for trolling(thus, meaning that you don't accept what he says), you are calling the WiiU players "anti-socials"...!

In any of these cases, I feel bad for GoNintendo!


Also, what is your excuse for warning CSP for an impending Warning for trolling, meaning he is not allowed to say his opinion(which also proves itself to be a fact), while the other guy before him says:


it's unarguable fact, the people that don't bother with it don't matter.


How on earth is this person allowed to say this and the next can't say otherwise?? It seems that you just don't like CSP's opinion(fact) and you are trying to take his rights away!


Oh, what a coincidence?!?!?! This is exactly what I was warning people that was going to happen in that "Who loves trolls?" thread! Remember what I wrote there?
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 05:35

Eternal Rain wrote:
BlueRangerVegeta wrote:
Agedgamer wrote:And what about those developers et al that have sh*t all over the Wii-U's CPU capabilities? You still want THEM developing for the system?

I think I'd ask for a public retraction of said comments, and then an apology before I'd allow that... but that's just me.

Why should they apologize for the truth? WiiU is barely a notch above PS3 in terms of lower, and is a downgrade when it comes to online e features.


In all seriousness, you have any proof of this? Like do we, in all complete and utter seriousness, have 100% confirmed information on the Wii U's power capabilities? Because I sure as heck have no clear answers. One day I hear the GPU is based off the Radeon 4000 series, then the next I hear it's actually the 6000 series. One day it's 1.24 Ghz but then I also hear it's really 3.24 GHz with an overclock mode supplied by the 3.0.0 update, so do we seriously have any 100% confirmed numbers by someone who either works for Nintendo or a company closely associated with them?

And frankly I personally feel the graphics in games like Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and X are a step above what the PS3 and 360 could do, especially when it comes to keeping smooth framerates as confirmed by all the hands on impressions. (I've been playing GTA5 recently and while I enjoy the game the graphics clearly show off the age of both 360 and PS3, as the shadow maps are not the best quality and have really noticeable low LOD distance, some textures like grass look low res, and the framerate stutters a decent bit when in hectic situations)

He said barely a notch above PS3, which judging by most of the games so far it seems to be correct, as in, more powerful but not by much. And online is worse right now, that is fact, many features of the other systems don't exist on Wii U.
No Avatar
08 Oct 2013 08:23

I find this unlikely to the point of being laughable. They have to make WiiU as sucessful as PS3 or 360 to have a chance of this happening but the current state of the console is worse than the gamecube, and none of the titles they have launched so far did nothing to improve the situation. If Mario and Kart never made the GC a sucessful console enough* to get full party support, how is going to happen with the WiiU, wich suffers from a completely differente architecture and power from the rest of systems and a severe case of consumer apathy?

*and no, being just profiteable like GC was is not enough for the subject matter.
No Avatar
08 Oct 2013 12:22

MH3 is all about grinding and battling the awkward presentation (tried to get into it on the Wii - had to give up 10 hours later) This is not a game to play alone since this is in essence half the MMO book with a generic story making for a boring single player.

As for 101 I played the demo, battled with the controls for a while, despised that I can not immediately distinguish my heroes from the smaller enemies, completed the demo and I got the impression that this game needs more diversity for a retail priced game (along with an additional six months in development for gameplay issues) Maybe if I find a good 2nd hand deal (this is not SEGA publishing, you can rarely find Nintendo game discounts at retail stores) otherwise this may be the only platinum games game that I may not get at all.

"W101 is the game that gives me everything I have wanted for the last 15 years: A challenge, replayability, and continued learning and mastering of the fighting system. "

Little King Story. Just play this one and you will see. My best game of the decade for all the above. Archaic (yet perfectly functional) controls is the only problem. Once again, my two cents.
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 12:47

CSP wrote:MH3 is all about grinding and battling the awkward presentation (tried to get into it on the Wii - had to give up 10 hours later) This is not a game to play alone since this is in essence half the MMO book with a generic story making for a boring single player.

As for 101 I played the demo, battled with the controls for a while, despised that I can not immediately distinguish my heroes from the smaller enemies, completed the demo and I got the impression that this game needs more diversity for a retail priced game (along with an additional six months in development for gameplay issues) Maybe if I find a good 2nd hand deal (this is not SEGA publishing, you can rarely find Nintendo game discounts at retail stores) otherwise this may be the only platinum games game that I may not get at all.

"W101 is the game that gives me everything I have wanted for the last 15 years: A challenge, replayability, and continued learning and mastering of the fighting system. "

Little King Story. Just play this one and you will see. My best game of the decade for all the above. Archaic (yet perfectly functional) controls is the only problem. Once again, my two cents.


101 is a very diverse game. In one stage you're escaping from an earthquake in another you're doing sky battles jumping from jet to jet, in another you're fighting enemies while hanging from a wall. Still in essence is like an arcade brawler but it's very fun. Also it has layers of gameplay since you keep getting better at it as you progress, exploiting enemy's weaknesses and taking advantage of new moves to solve several scenarios.
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 15:43

Einar1025 wrote:I'll have around 10 Wii u titles by the end of the month. I'm happy with it, that all the matters to me.



I won't have that many perhaps by the end of the year even, but I'm still content with it, am VERY excited about all the indie games I want coming to it, and am optimistic about future games for the platform.
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 18:08

Chased wrote:


it's unarguable fact, the people that don't bother with it don't matter.


How on earth is this person allowed to say this and the next can't say otherwise?? It seems that you just don't like CSP's opinion(fact) and you are trying to take his rights away!


Because sampling isis a fact of life and something that can speak for the people not using it.
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 20:38

You should look over how to get a good sample. Getting your data from Miiverse will cause selection bias from owners who are so unhappy with the system they don't even bother with Miiverse. Non-response bias man!
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 22:28

Your point only works if we assume every single person not using Miiverse is doing so because they are dissatisfied with their purchase, and we all know that isn't the case. There are people on Miiverse that have voiced their disapointment. There are large enough numbers for Miiverse to provide an accurate sample. On top of that, sure, Nintendo could just be spitting PR, but when you have them saying and you can at least look at Miiverse as some kind of back-up, I don't think they are really just blowing smoke.

Most people I see talking crap are more non-owners. I rarely see genuinely dissatisfied purchasers, not that they don't exist, the evidence just points to a minority. The issue is getting the people who haven't bought it yet. I will also add in that the people that are happy aren't necessarily slobbering all over themselves to tell people how amazing it is, it's more of a quiet satisfaction, so that could be a small current issue that needs to be overcome.
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 22:41

Dude, it's a statistical bias weather you like it or not. You are also assuming that there is the same proportion of dissatisfied Wii U owners using miiverse as not. And how would you know who owns a Wii U or not (especially if your information comes from the internet)? Are you assuming that too? Also who you see on the internet is not a scientific survey, which was my original point of you pretending Miiverse was a sample. I did not claim to know how many dissatisfied costumers there are nor do I care really, but Miiverse is NOT an accurate sample. :lol:
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 22:46

There is no statistical bias. We'll just have to agree to disagree, though it's hard to believe someone really thinks Miiverse can't be a sample. Possibly read up on sampling.
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 22:49

:o You want ME to read up on sampling? Ok, we'll agree to disagree but you're wrong anyway :lol:
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 23:01

I don't know, maybe explain your case better. It doesn't make sense to me. It seems you are saying it can't be a sample because of the people that don't use Miiverse and are dissatisfied. What about the people that don't use Miiverse and are satisfied? Really, not even that, but that's the whole point of a sample, to speak for the people that didn't participate in the survey. Can Neilsen's not be correct with their samples then just because someone might not watch t.v. at all?

If samples can't be samples because there are people that weren't included, then what can be a sample.

There are plenty of all types of opinions on Miiverse and a sample can be had showing the majority of owners are satisfied. You have to make a better case than simply saying no because there are peope dissatisfied and not using Miiverse, that defeats the whole purpose of a sample which speaks for those people, they are spoken for in the sample as the dissatisfied portion, which is the minority. If dissatisfied customers were cut from the equation entirely, you'd have a point.
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 23:08

you need to be careful of where you go to get your opinions. For example, what if I went to the Republican National Convention and asked people who they were going to vote for. Nearly everyone tells me Mitt Romney but there were some Democrats that said they wouldn't, they were the minority. Does that mean I should tell people that Mitt Romney was going to win the elections by a landslide? No, because there was a statistical bias in where I got my data from. It doesn't necessarily mean I was going for a bias but you need to know that getting your information from a certain place will lead to results that don't fairly represent the whole population. Miiverse is the RNC, going there for information is going to get you a bias response.
User avatar
08 Oct 2013 23:20

I see where you are coming from and why you are thinking the way you are. The comparison's however, don't quite match up. Republicans are commited to their beliefs among many other differing factors that don't apply to a piece of electronics. There are those people with those beliefs, but Miiverse is nothing like the hivemind you are comparing it to. You only have to use it to see plenty of pro PS4/XBO posts and posts that are unhappy with their purchase, etc. People aren't going against what they were born and raised to believe their entire life to jump on Miiverse to claim dissatisfaction.

That's where my previous point comes back in. There are enough dissatisfied posts on Miiverse to get an overall sample. If they were non existent,I could see the bias, which is what you would have in your example. I admit to your point that maybe the margin of error could be raised slightly to factor for it, but I will still definitely disagree it can't be used at all.
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 10:23

At least he seems to have his priorities straight. There's really no point in knowing that the few current WiiU owners are happy with their console if they can't manage to get it into more homes.
No Avatar
10 Oct 2013 11:37

Ok I have to stop reading because there are too many inaccuracies at best.

SAMPLING - from wiki

"In statistics, quality assurance, & survey methodology, sampling is concerned with the selection of a subset of individuals from within a statistical population to estimate characteristics of the whole population. Acceptance sampling is used to determine if a production lot of material meets the governing specifications. Two advantages of sampling are that the cost is lower and data collection is faster than measuring the entire population.

Each observation measures one or more properties (such as weight, location, color) of observable bodies distinguished as independent objects or individuals. In survey sampling, weights can be applied to the data to adjust for the sample design, particularly stratified sampling (blocking). Results from probability theory and statistical theory are employed to guide practice. In business and medical research, sampling is widely used for gathering information about a population."

Let me explain this to those who are unaware of probability theory. Sampling is used to obtain video game sale estimates based on information from a number of retail outlets, extrapolating the data to fit the entire population ON THE ASSUMPTION that there are no other factors affecting sales on specific locations and the bigger population performs EXACTLY like the smaller one. TV ratings are taken the same way, by measuring a presumably RANDOM percentage of the population and scaling (with minor adjustments of course) to fit the entire audience.

HERE WE DO NOT HAVE SAMPLING! For the sole reason that THE VAST majority of dissatisfied owners DO NOT bother posting anything on a heavily modified community because 1)the whole thing is too restrictive 2)things do get censored 3)they have better things to do ie play with another console or (get this) use the tablet and the net as an achievement guide! while playing a 360 game for instance.

People with basic mathematical and statistical skills [including Nintendo and their marketing department] can fully understand the above. Now why they say what they say is another thing entirely. Apparently marketeers ARE allowed to blatantly lie.

They say that a vocal minority can make it seem that they represent the majority due to their activity. Probably the same thing happens here as well...
User avatar
11 Oct 2013 11:49

FadedAreWii wrote:
Chased wrote:


it's unarguable fact, the people that don't bother with it don't matter.


How on earth is this person allowed to say this and the next can't say otherwise?? It seems that you just don't like CSP's opinion(fact) and you are trying to take his rights away!


Because sampling isis a fact of life and something that can speak for the people not using it.

This is NOT sampling! Have you ever worked with statistics? This has nothing to do with sampling!
User avatar
11 Oct 2013 22:10

If you think Nintendo can't use Miiverse as a sample of their customers opinion, by all means, explain why not.


CSP wrote:Ok I have to stop reading because there are too many inaccuracies at best.
For the sole reason that THE VAST majority of dissatisfied owners DO NOT bother posting anything on a heavily modified community. l...


This is where the argument falls apart every time. Your ASSUMPTION/OPINION that the majority of dissatisfied customers don't post on Miiverse is not proof Miiverse can't be used for sampling opinions of Wii U customers. Saying it is heavily modified is bogus as well. If it's outright disrespectful and trolling, it gets deleted. A simple negative opinion is not moderated.
No Avatar
13 Oct 2013 12:37

My assumption/opinion is based on my KNOWLEDGE in the field, as I have used statistical models in my work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_sampling

Read up. If you can;t understand ask someone who can. Then you will realize that my argument is quite sound.
User avatar
13 Oct 2013 20:18

It's not. Just as many people could not touch Miiverse because they are only interested in playing games. There are enough negative opinions on Miiverse to gather a full sample that shows the majority of the Wii U population is sastisfied, that Wikipedia link doesn't prove otherwise. I get your argument, it just doesn't apply here.
No Avatar
14 Oct 2013 04:30

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias

"Sampling bias is systematic error due to a non-random sample of a population,[2] causing some members of the population to be less likely to be included than others, resulting in a biased sample, defined as a statistical sample of a population (or non-human factors) in which all participants are not equally balanced or objectively represented.[3] It is mostly classified as a subtype of selection bias,[4] sometimes specifically termed sample selection bias,[5][6][7] but some classify it as a separate type of bias.[8]

A distinction, albeit not universally accepted, of sampling bias is that it undermines the external validity of a test (the ability of its results to be generalized to the rest of the population), while selection bias mainly addresses internal validity for differences or similarities found in the sample at hand. In this sense, errors occurring in the process of gathering the sample or cohort cause sampling bias, while errors in any process thereafter cause selection bias."

That is exactly what you are doing. If you can't find someone who knows this stuff better than you, you can accept that statistics are a bit more complicated than you think. I have worked with statistics enough to understand how erroneous it is to use miiverse as an indicator of consumer satisfaction, with a STRONG bias towards "satisfied"
User avatar
15 Oct 2013 03:14

It's not non-random and the disatisfied group is represented. I can only say it so many times.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way