Goriginal Content

EoD - N64 love

Xeodrifter diary #9

GN Podcast #476

Smash Bros. review!

EoD - Console wars

EoD - Why no 'New'?
 

Inafune would consider letting Capcom publish Mighty No. 9, talks about replacing Beck with Mega Man

Coming from a Game Informer interview with Keiji Inafune...

If Capcom wanted to publish Might No. 9

"I would hear their terms. If they had the best terms, I would go with Capcom. There is no reason not to publish with Capcom, and I certainly don’t feel like there’s a reason that I have to publish with Capcom. Literally it would be a very cut-and-dried business negotiation. If they had the best terms, the logical businessman in me would say, “Yes, let’s go with them.”
On what he would do if Capcom wanted Mighty No. 9 to feature Mega Man instead of Beck

"If Capcom came up with really great terms to make it a Mega Man game, then of course I would listen and that would be an option. But the base of this game is that we wanted to create something original. If they gave us an offer we couldn’t refuse, that would mean having to change the main character into Mega Man. On top of that, it would still have to be our IP, which is what we want. I can’t foresee that happening. We really want this to be our thing."

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
18 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
09 Oct 2013 03:11

"Our IP"? Please, they just took Megaman and gave him a reskin. Mighty No. 9 is in no way original and they shouldn't act like it is.
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 03:23

Mighty No. 9 comes from the creators of mega man.. Is it original? Idk... but cmon give it more respect. Its like if Miyamoto left Nintendo, then started a kickstarted for some platforming game. Would you say "its just a mario reskin, Miyamot shouldn't act like its his own original idea"? No. No you wouldn't.

I personally really want them to NOT make this a megaman skin. I really like the idea of a brand new IP with new characters and a new universe. Even more so since this is a "classic" style game. We need more "classic" style new IPs like Mario, Mega man, Sonic, etc... There are some recent games that I would consider falling under this category but its always good to see a new prominent "classic" character.
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 03:27

I am not opposed to the changing id... but I could see that the people who chipped in to crowdfund it... well that would be kind of an insult to them, no?
No Avatar
09 Oct 2013 03:29

Orian wrote:"Our IP"? Please, they just took Megaman and gave him a reskin. Mighty No. 9 is in no way original and they shouldn't act like it is.


Because you've played this game that hasn't even been made yet, right?
No Avatar
09 Oct 2013 04:14

Now that would be a really machiavelic move by Capcom...they get the game, right after many anti-Capcom suckers fund it.
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 04:25

I have no problem with this because Comcept owes Capcom nothing. Any deal they might come to would be entirely on Comcept's terms. Capcom would likely get limited publishing rights, nothing more.
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 05:51

@Orian

Firstly, Since he's the creator of Megaman, I think he's entitled to rip himself off.

Secondly, You haven't played the game yet so anything you say about the games originality is pure conjecture and nothing more.
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 08:24

No, Keiji, don't go to the dark side!
No Avatar
09 Oct 2013 08:55

FrenchFryGuy wrote:@Orian

Firstly, Since he's the creator of Megaman, I think he's entitled to rip himself off.

Secondly, You haven't played the game yet so anything you say about the games originality is pure conjecture and nothing more.


Correction he's the creator of Zero and helped design the first Mega Man game. He didn't "create" Mega Man as a character.

It's a game built around the Classic Mega Man games with some X and Mega Man Zero elements thrown in. I'm pretty sure anyone that has played a Mega Man game before has played this.
No Avatar
09 Oct 2013 10:22

Why would they need Capcom to publish it? Don't they have the necessary funds to make the whole thing happen and keep it under their indie label?
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 10:29

I don't like that he's so quick to consider abandoning Beck.
No Avatar
Anonymous
09 Oct 2013 10:32

He should keep his mouth shut because when Capcom sues him, they will have so many damaging quotes that will only help their cause...
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 12:22

@metalpants

That's what I was wondering... He got Kickstarter funds. Why would ANYONE need to be his publisher, besides the many people who funded his project? This shouldn't even be a discussion.
No Avatar
Anonymous
09 Oct 2013 12:36

metalpants wrote:Why would they need Capcom to publish it? Don't they have the necessary funds to make the whole thing happen and keep it under their indie label?


this, didn't they get like 4 million dollars? Seems like a pretty good budget for a "megaman" game.
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 13:21

Jack_Atlas wrote:Correction he's the creator of Zero and helped design the first Mega Man game. He didn't "create" Mega Man as a character.

It's a game built around the Classic Mega Man games with some X and Mega Man Zero elements thrown in. I'm pretty sure anyone that has played a Mega Man game before has played this.



"Inafune also revealed that he wasn't responsible for the creation of Mega Man himself. "I'm often called the father of Mega Man, but actually, his design was already created when I joined Capcom," he explained. "My mentor [at Capcom], who was the designer of the original Mega Man, had a basic concept of what Mega Man was supposed to look like. So I only did half of the job in creating him." -- Keiji Inafune

With all do respect Jack, All that is is him being humble. Basically the blueprints for the character were already mapped out when he arrived at Capcom. So what? Big deal. It was still Inafune who then illustrated that blueprint and brought the character to life and made the games that made him who we know today, ergo, the creator of Megaman. Arguing over the technicalities of the fact that a basic concept was already in existence is silly. Inafune is humble, but he's credited as the creator of Megman for a reason. Because he is. He's the man who brought him to life. PERIOD! Google "who created Megaman" and see whose the first name to come up. https://www.google.com/#q=who+created+megaman&safe=off I rest my case.



Furthermore, as I said. The only person he'd be ripping off with Mighty No. 9 is himself. But if you think there won't be new innovations that help to set this game apart from the blue bomber, you'd be sorely mistaken.
No Avatar
Anonymous
09 Oct 2013 13:36

FrenchFryGuy wrote:
Jack_Atlas wrote:Correction he's the creator of Zero and helped design the first Mega Man game. He didn't "create" Mega Man as a character.

It's a game built around the Classic Mega Man games with some X and Mega Man Zero elements thrown in. I'm pretty sure anyone that has played a Mega Man game before has played this.



"Inafune also revealed that he wasn't responsible for the creation of Mega Man himself. "I'm often called the father of Mega Man, but actually, his design was already created when I joined Capcom," he explained. "My mentor [at Capcom], who was the designer of the original Mega Man, had a basic concept of what Mega Man was supposed to look like. So I only did half of the job in creating him." -- Keiji Inafune

With all do respect Jack, All that is is him being humble. Basically the blueprints for the character were already mapped out when he arrived at Capcom. So what? Big deal. It was still Inafune who then illustrated that blueprint and brought the character to life and made the games that made him who we know today, ergo, the creator of Megaman. Arguing over the technicalities of the fact that a basic concept was already in existence is silly. Inafune is humble, but he's credited as the creator of Megman for a reason. Because he is. He's the man who brought him to life. PERIOD! Google "who created Megaman" and see whose the first name to come up. https://www.google.com/#q=who+created+megaman&safe=off I rest my case.



Furthermore, as I said. The only person he'd be ripping off with Mighty No. 9 is himself. But if you think there won't be new innovations that help to set this game apart from the blue bomber, you'd be sorely mistaken.



it's like when CCR's record label tried suing John Fogerty for sounding too much like CCR.
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 16:32

metalpants wrote:Why would they need Capcom to publish it? Don't they have the necessary funds to make the whole thing happen and keep it under their indie label?

^ This, pretty much. Why would they need a publisher IF they wanted to release the game as indie developers? That's why they did the kickstarter to begin with, right? His comments are pretty confusing for me, and i got a little angry with him for it (even through i didn't fund this game, but i'll be buying it when it is release).
User avatar
09 Oct 2013 16:47

Complete and utter bullsh*t. You kids in here saying that "this game is in no way original", are being as disingenuous as it gets. The game is heavily inspired by Mega Man, from the CREATOR of Mega Man. So what? Where were all of you when complaining of the plethora of other indie games that also blatantly rip off from classic games?

And I do not want this to be a Mega Man game. Mega Man is dead, and should stay dead, because Capcom ruined it. We have the classics, let it lie. I want Mighty No. 9 to be it's own entity. Inafune would be a fool to turn it into a Capcom game, and doing so would be the worst thing that could happen to this project. Beck is a cool new character, and should stay that way.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way