Goriginal Content

EoD - Warriors cast

EoD - SS motion

GN Podcast #466

EoD - Zelda music

EoD - Fatal Frame

EoD - Smash C-stick
 

Call of Duty: Ghosts' clan system not a part of Wii U

Coming from the official FAQ...

Q: Why is there a new Clan system for Call of Duty®: Ghosts?

A: Clans in Call of Duty®: Ghosts will include deeper in-game integration and more features, from in-game Clan Management and Clan–specific playlists to the all-new Call of Duty® Clan Wars game mode available in the new Call of Duty® app. This year also introduces cross-platform Clans, allowing players to create and/or join a single Call of Duty®: Ghosts Clan across the following platforms: including Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®4 and Windows PC.


Thanks to Autosaver for the heads up!

link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
35 total comments (View all)
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 03:27

patjuan32 wrote:
RD3AV5 wrote:
maurer156 wrote:because microsoft & sony paid activision to have this included in their consoles...

There is truth to this. Sony and Microsoft do throw a lot of money at 3rd party developers where Nintendo does not.



This is not true. Nintendo gave Squaresoft money to fund a development studio called Game Designer's Studio. That studio developed Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube. When Square and Enix joined together, the studio was absorbed into Square Enix. The games in the series became lackluster from that point on. That relationship clearly favored Square.

Nintendo allowed Namco to use on of its Mascosts in a game, Link for Soul Calibur 2. It was the best selling version of the game. Soul Calibur 3 was an exclusive for the Playstation 2. Nintendo promoted Tales of Symphonia and made it the best selling version of the series, at that time. The next Tales game was an exclusive for the Playstation 2. Namco develops the Mario baseball series, Mario Kart Arcade GP series, Mario Kart Arcade GP, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, and Mario Kart Arcade GP DX which was released in July 2013. Yet Namco puts the majority of it's anime licensed games on Sony platforms regardless of the userbase. This also applies with its Tales games. Ironically, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a new world, a spinoff, sold as well as Tales of Vesperia for the Xbox 360 in the US. Namco is also developing Wii Sports for the Wii U. This relationship is one sided in favor of Namco. Oh, They also have a team working on Smash Bros. On a side note, Namco is developing Soul Caliber 2 HD for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Yes they are leaving the Wii U out. Even though Soul Calibur 2 featuring Link sold the most units. Maybe they don't want to pay for the use of Link. However, you'd think they would do it for the fan service.


This hurts. It hurts a lot, especially as a Nintendo game console owner, and it's THE MAIN REASON why so many gamers just cannot play games exclusively on Nintendo home consoles, including myself. I'm am slowly drifting away from Nintendo, and poor third party support is the sole reason.
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 04:04

patjuan32 wrote:
RD3AV5 wrote:
maurer156 wrote:because microsoft & sony paid activision to have this included in their consoles...

There is truth to this. Sony and Microsoft do throw a lot of money at 3rd party developers where Nintendo does not.



This is not true. Nintendo gave Squaresoft money to fund a development studio called Game Designer's Studio. That studio developed Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube. When Square and Enix joined together, the studio was absorbed into Square Enix. The games in the series became lackluster from that point on. That relationship clearly favored Square.

Nintendo allowed Namco to use on of its Mascosts in a game, Link for Soul Calibur 2. It was the best selling version of the game. Soul Calibur 3 was an exclusive for the Playstation 2. Nintendo promoted Tales of Symphonia and made it the best selling version of the series, at that time. The next Tales game was an exclusive for the Playstation 2. Namco develops the Mario baseball series, Mario Kart Arcade GP series, Mario Kart Arcade GP, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, and Mario Kart Arcade GP DX which was released in July 2013. Yet Namco puts the majority of it's anime licensed games on Sony platforms regardless of the userbase. This also applies with its Tales games. Ironically, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a new world, a spinoff, sold as well as Tales of Vesperia for the Xbox 360 in the US. Namco is also developing Wii Sports for the Wii U. This relationship is one sided in favor of Namco. Oh, They also have a team working on Smash Bros. On a side note, Namco is developing Soul Caliber 2 HD for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Yes they are leaving the Wii U out. Even though Soul Calibur 2 featuring Link sold the most units. Maybe they don't want to pay for the use of Link. However, you'd think they would do it for the fan service.


What you referred to and what I mentioned are 2 different things. Sony and Microsoft throw money at 3rd parties to have exclusive content and want higher sales on their systems. Nintendo working with 3rd parties that INVOLVE Nintendo IP's and other Nintendo-centric games are indeed supported by Nintendo. But this is the reason why companies like Bethesda won't make games for Nintendo; Nintendo won't throw money at them to have their games on Nintendo's console. Yeah it's still sad nonetheless.
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 04:07

@patjuan32
I get your point, but your statement doesn't even come closer to the main issue. If they want exclusive content, why don't they try to do this with COD to give Wii U an edge compared to its siblings on other platform, they could at least make an exclusive map of Hyrule or Mushroom Kingdom? What do we get? NOTHING! Nintendo is a slowpoke on adopting into things, lets admit that... and its hurting them & N fans so bad...

Nintendo is great game developer, but their system is holding them from selling millions of copies of their games, just imagine if their games go multiplatform, i believe it will be better than GTA V sales figures... time has changed, back on the NES generation, NES was the only console people know, there was no competition in terms of hardware, so the ratio was like 1:1. If only nintendo hw becomes par with xbox one & sony ps4, clearly there will be no competition. Nintendo exclusive & third party all in one console, its a sure win. Nintendo should start thinking straight or else I might also start to shift...
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 04:12

I really hope you don't mean Nintendo should go third party..
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 04:29

MasterofMonster wrote:I really hope you don't mean Nintendo should go third party..

I mean it, they could go multiplatform. Imagine how many fan bases they will conquer, their market will be bigger OR they could compete with Sony & Microsoft in terms of hardware, clearly Msoft & Sony will have NO chance of competing with Nintendo IPs. Imagine Wii U with the same specs as XBOX1 & PS4, same third party support plus MARIO, ZELDA, etc... It's a NO BRAINER for a consumer to buy Wii U instead of those two... that is why I still don't get it why Nintendo keeps their console one generation behind if clearly.. there is a competition/generation they could easily win.
No Avatar
29 Oct 2013 04:42

Stuff like this just makes an already difficult sell even more difficult. People aren't stupid, they can use the internet. Nintendo fans will know they're getting jipped on content and casual 360/PS3 fans looking for a next gen system will immediately discount the Wii U for lacking things as standard as DLC.

And about third party moneyhatting, at this stage it'd be very wise of Nintendo to start paying out for some exclusive stuff of merit. Like Link in Soul Calibur 2, the simplest of additions that Nintendo fans will eat up can do wonders for a game. Things like costumes in Rayman or Tekken are nice but not amazing, but as has been suggested, a handful of Nintendo maps in CoD would be really cool. Some silly modes with mushrooms or whatever would be fun too and would put my interest in the game up significantly. Yes, I'm fickle. :P
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 05:28

maurer156 wrote:
MasterofMonster wrote:I really hope you don't mean Nintendo should go third party..

I mean it, they could go multiplatform. Imagine how many fan bases they will conquer, their market will be bigger OR they could compete with Sony & Microsoft in terms of hardware, clearly Msoft & Sony will have NO chance of competing with Nintendo IPs. Imagine Wii U with the same specs as XBOX1 & PS4, same third party support plus MARIO, ZELDA, etc... It's a NO BRAINER for a consumer to buy Wii U instead of those two... that is why I still don't get it why Nintendo keeps their console one generation behind if clearly.. there is a competition/generation they could easily win.


Sorry, but Nintendo going third party would be terrible. The DS and Wii wasn't the most advanced consoles, and they had slow starts, yet they became huge successes and "won". The 3DS did the same thing, it had a very slow start but ended up breaking records and all. The Wii-U is having a slow start, and it is very likely it, like the ones Before it, will became huge as soon as the big games comes. Why go third party when you can beat the other ones with both consoles and IP? I just don't see it happen, nor do I like the idea of it. Nintendo's games belongs on Nintendo consoles, and hopefully and most likely, they Always will.

Sorry, this is off topic, so let's stop now. Nintendo has clearly stated they will never go third party anyways~
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 05:36

Poor 3rd party support hurts me too, well, I have always played them on PC and I usually prefer it that way too, but the Wii U is...or would be unusually interesting 3rd party platform for me(if it got games that were not crippled). I have never wanted to play 3rd party games so much with a console. Wii U even made me want Call of Duty!!!
No Avatar
29 Oct 2013 06:16

Some of you people dont understand that if Nintendo would
throw around money like MS or Sony do towards third parties
Nintendo would go bankrupt. So stated by Iwata.
Because if they do it for one, they will have to do it
for everyone.

The main reason why third parties are treating Nintendo
like they are doing is because they are trying to extort
money from them. They have MS and Sony in their pockets
and they are trying to force Nintendo to pay up.

Nintendo has been in the industry for a long time and they
have learned their lessons from these types of tactics. Nintendo
is going to play the long game. Which means they are going to wait
it out until either MS or Sony leaves the industry fighting in the "red ocean"
As long as Nintendo can foster new fans by attracting the youth, they
hope to be around when those kids grow up in a different looking
game industry.

The way its looking, it might be MS that gives up the ghost.
The machines are getting more complex, the games are getting
more expensive to make, yet world economies are still down.
Reports are that MS might have some serious software issues
to solve after launch and we are already seeing game delays
from both platforms.

2014 will be a bloody battle for all the consoles.
The advantage WiiU has is that it already has
taken care of many OS issues, and even though the third party
presence is lackluster, they have a stream of games coming out,
with a bigger library available. Its the cheaper console and has
still has the larger user base.

Whats really hurting Nintendo are retailers. Nintendo is doing something about
that in the UK, but they have a big issue in the US and the rest of Europe.
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 08:29

maurer156 wrote:
MasterofMonster wrote:I really hope you don't mean Nintendo should go third party..

I mean it, they could go multiplatform. Imagine how many fan bases they will conquer, their market will be bigger OR they could compete with Sony & Microsoft in terms of hardware, clearly Msoft & Sony will have NO chance of competing with Nintendo IPs. Imagine Wii U with the same specs as XBOX1 & PS4, same third party support plus MARIO, ZELDA, etc... It's a NO BRAINER for a consumer to buy Wii U instead of those two... that is why I still don't get it why Nintendo keeps their console one generation behind if clearly.. there is a competition/generation they could easily win.


In Case 1. Spreading out their IP's to other platforms devalues their brand and moves people away from Nintendo's hardware. Consumers tend to go for all in one solutions if they can get mario on anything other than a Nintendo platform they would go with the other platform instead of buying Nintendo hardware for their games. This also relegates Nintendo to direct competition with other software developers in a market that it's not uncommon for a games price to be slashed in thirds not even a few months after release. Nintendo's software titles almost never see price drops which would cause a severe reduction in revenue for Nintendo from drops in overall sales (due to them maintaining their current pricing model). If they did "play ball" and reduce software prices in order to compete in the market they would also be losing significant chunk of their revenue. You also have to factor in the fact they would be paying other companies a premium in order to put software on their platforms (developers license and developers kits for all of Nintendo's studios) and Nintendo currently keeps 100% of the profits of first party games sold on Nintendo's platforms and a small percentage of 3rd party game profits sold on their platform so they would also lose this revenue. Overall it would cause Nintendo to have to do sever slashing of either salaries or employees in order to make up for the lost revenue.

Case 2. Hardware on par with ps4/XboxOne would mean Nintendo would either 1. Have to take an incredibly sever loss on hardware per system sold (Nintendo cannot pocket these costs Nintendo is not even a fraction of the size of Sony/Microsoft and has no other divisions to make up the money). Or 2 sell their console at a price point significantly higher than the competition (people were lamenting the wiiU's $350 price when they still thought it was comparable to the ps4/xone).In either case this also moves Nintendo out of the "niche" market they are in and puts them in direct competition with Sony/Microsoft meaning it would be even more difficult for Nintendo and overall would lead to lower overall hardware sales as creating a direct competitor allows Sony/Microsoft to market themselves as the better alternative to the wiiU and undercut prices and sweep up exclusive third party content/timed exclusives/games that the system should be getting because of it being on par in specs causing an even greater consumer divide/disinterest (why would I get a $500 wiiU when I can get the $500 xbox one that has all the same games plus more content).
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 09:40

Once again, Wii U owners are fucked over. I have no idea why these publishers beg abysmal sales on Nintendo systems but it's clear they do. We are suckers if we support these half-assed ports, and we are suckers if we don't and lose even that half-assed support.

I guess the best we can do for now is to bite the bullet and try to support the games we are interested in on Nintendo platforms, rather than other platforms (even if it means losing a feature or two) and trust that when the Wii U sales pick up this holiday, the 3rd parties will also start putting more effort behind the system. If we stop buying their stuff now, we might not get another chance and it will hurt the whole system irrepairably in the very near future.
No Avatar
29 Oct 2013 09:49

@plan9

It'll still be a decent game I'm sure. I just today got BLOPS2 (£8 brand new!) and it seems to be really good even without DLC. It's just a real shame we're not getting the extra support, the Wii U version of Ghosts could really be the best version if they put the time in to make it so.

Really don't get why they're skimping on things though. If they're scrapping features for Wii U because they don't think it'll sell well enough to warrant including them then what's the point of even bringing it over?
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 09:50

MasterofMonster wrote:And then they will notice that the Wii-U sold less than all other versions, thus giving them a reason to continue to be dicks about it. -_-

Luckily, I don't care about CoD, but this is just stupid. We'll see how it goes when the Wii-U's sales increases a lot with Mario, Mario Kart and Smash.


To be fair, the WiiU version would still sell less even with clans included.

At this point it should be expected that most multiplatform games that feature some on-line/community feature to not be there for the WiiU version... Hell, if it weren't for the fact that CoD's main feature is the online mode I wouldn't be surprised if the entire online feature was not there at all.
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 09:57

maurer156 wrote:
MasterofMonster wrote:I really hope you don't mean Nintendo should go third party..

I mean it, they could go multiplatform. Imagine how many fan bases they will conquer, their market will be bigger OR they could compete with Sony & Microsoft in terms of hardware, clearly Msoft & Sony will have NO chance of competing with Nintendo IPs. Imagine Wii U with the same specs as XBOX1 & PS4, same third party support plus MARIO, ZELDA, etc... It's a NO BRAINER for a consumer to buy Wii U instead of those two... that is why I still don't get it why Nintendo keeps their console one generation behind if clearly.. there is a competition/generation they could easily win.


You clearly don't understand that a big, big, BIG part of the charm of Nintendo titles is that they use hardware in new and innovative ways. New hardware, which Nintendo designs as well, to suit whatever new game ideas they have and vice versa. If they went 3rd party they would A) have to make do with the generic hardware other devs are making B) have to compete directly with other publishers, on Sony/MS rules, without any kind of home field advantage C) in the end of the day, be just one more 3rd party developer in the endless sea of 3rd party developers.

If they made their systems more powerful, they would also have to either cut the innovative new ideas and control methods (fe. gamepad/Wiimote wouldn't have happened) or substantially raise the console prices, which in this economy and competitive field is a suicide. They thought they had a pretty good compromise with Wii U (decent specs, a new controller) and I think so too, but they need to prove it to the rest of the gaming audience by bringing out the big guns and attracting new 3rd party support, some of which is exclusive.
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 10:05

Sisibakbak wrote:
Really don't get why they're skimping on things though. If they're scrapping features for Wii U because they don't think it'll sell well enough to warrant including them then what's the point of even bringing it over?


That's a good point, it's a mystery to me as well.I guess they want to try to have their cake and eat it too, in other words be as cheap as possible and still get the best profits possible. I'm sure some 50-year old market analyst in the back room there has made calculations that this is the best, having never played a videogame in his life. You know, just in case the other versions don't sell as hoped, generational switch and all, maybe the Wii U will make a few extra bucks.

But I'm glad we're getting at least some kind of support, it's still better than no support at all. But in the big picture the developers and publishers really need to step up their game and take some responsibility, if they want to see returns, instead of blaming it all on the Nintendo gamers.
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 10:07

@maurer156 Because unlike sony and microsoft Nintendo does not like selling their consoles at a major loss and thus lose money. Specs would change nothing for nintendo IPs as the style of game does not require that level of graphics. Nintendo should never go third party because quality will go way down.
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 10:25

NeroSuferoth wrote:
MasterofMonster wrote:And then they will notice that the Wii-U sold less than all other versions, thus giving them a reason to continue to be dicks about it. -_-

Luckily, I don't care about CoD, but this is just stupid. We'll see how it goes when the Wii-U's sales increases a lot with Mario, Mario Kart and Smash.


To be fair, the WiiU version would still sell less even with clans included.

At this point it should be expected that most multiplatform games that feature some on-line/community feature to not be there for the WiiU version... Hell, if it weren't for the fact that CoD's main feature is the online mode I wouldn't be surprised if the entire online feature was not there at all.


Yeah, I know, but it still isn't right or nice to the Wii-U owners. ._.

And I don't care much for online with most third party games. As long as Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros has good online, I'm good~
No Avatar
29 Oct 2013 10:56

MDX wrote:Some of you people dont understand that if Nintendo would
throw around money like MS or Sony do towards third parties
Nintendo would go bankrupt. So stated by Iwata.
Because if they do it for one, they will have to do it
for everyone.

The main reason why third parties are treating Nintendo
like they are doing is because they are trying to extort
money from them. They have MS and Sony in their pockets
and they are trying to force Nintendo to pay up.

Nintendo has been in the industry for a long time and they
have learned their lessons from these types of tactics. Nintendo
is going to play the long game. Which means they are going to wait
it out until either MS or Sony leaves the industry fighting in the "red ocean"
As long as Nintendo can foster new fans by attracting the youth, they
hope to be around when those kids grow up in a different looking
game industry.

The way its looking, it might be MS that gives up the ghost.
The machines are getting more complex, the games are getting
more expensive to make, yet world economies are still down.
Reports are that MS might have some serious software issues
to solve after launch and we are already seeing game delays
from both platforms.

2014 will be a bloody battle for all the consoles.
The advantage WiiU has is that it already has
taken care of many OS issues, and even though the third party
presence is lackluster, they have a stream of games coming out,
with a bigger library available. Its the cheaper console and has
still has the larger user base.

Whats really hurting Nintendo are retailers. Nintendo is doing something about
that in the UK, but they have a big issue in the US and the rest of Europe.


That is ultimately the thing that people don't seem to get: moneyhatting NEVER works. Nintendo learned that two generations ago and there's a reason they don't do it anymore. It's nothing more than a sloppy band-aid that doesn't actually fix anything. Better to just weather the storm and let 3rd parties sulk in their corner instead of giving in to their BS.
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 12:07

Uranio23 wrote:
tellis429 wrote:Activision should just stop releasing CoD on the Wii U and develop it for the 3ds, I'm sure all the features will be included then.


Im with you on this one. I'll like to see how CoD could look like on 3DS ...


The 2 DS cods were apparently pretty good.
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 12:33

Consider the following 2 points.

1. The source. This is based on a link to the COD: Ghosts website. It doesn't state an absence of clans on the Wii U. The Wii U simply isn't listed. We all know the information regarding Wii U versions of games can be incomplete or inaccurate on even publisher websites, like Activision's. It's even possible that this FAQ was created before the Wii U version was announced, and nobody bothered to update it.

2. If this is true, it's probably based on pretty solid evidence that people don't play Wii U COD year-round. Clans are really for people who play a game constantly for a long time. Like World of Warcraft. People buy PS3/360 to play COD all the time. I don't think a significant amount of people buy Wii U for the same reason. So if this is true, it is a missing feature, but it's one that I think won't matter to most people looking to get Wii U COD.
No Avatar
29 Oct 2013 13:06

RD3AV5 wrote:

What you referred to and what I mentioned are 2 different things. Sony and Microsoft throw money at 3rd parties to have exclusive content and want higher sales on their systems. Nintendo working with 3rd parties that INVOLVE Nintendo IP's and other Nintendo-centric games are indeed supported by Nintendo. But this is the reason why companies like Bethesda won't make games for Nintendo; Nintendo won't throw money at them to have their games on Nintendo's console. Yeah it's still sad nonetheless.


No actually, it is the same. Nintendo funded game designer's studio. It cost more than download content and more than exclusive content. It's actually funded many games. Or do you think Square just developed the Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles IP just to have a relationship with Nintendo? No. Also Nintendo is not helping Namco develop those games I mentioned. Those are all developed by Namco and they would not continue to develop them if they were not making a profit from them. Mario Kart Arcade GP is not on a Nintendo platform. It's an arcade machine and it is turning a good profit for Namco. Please tell me how is giving money to a developer is really different from letting a developer develop a game in a popular, established franchise or allowing a developer to use a popular, licensed character in a game to sell that product to consumers?
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 22:30

This is one of those features that doesn't affect me, so it doesn't factor into my decision. I used to clan war, and technically am still in a clan. Nowadays though I just like to play more laid back.

@MDX
I skipped over pretty much the rest of the posts (sorry guys ;)), but yours caught my eye and I read the whole thing. Very good points.
User avatar
29 Oct 2013 22:41

I keep seeing this being brought up on the official FAQ page and basically, half the people on there are retards. The only thing that it says in the clans trailer and in that press release is that Wii U is excluded from cross platform play. That's all. So we'll probably get clans but not cross platform play which doesn't bother me in the slightest.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way