Goriginal Content

EoD - Next-Gen Mario

EoD - Mario movie?

EoD - Your amiibo

GN Radio #35

GN podcast #488

EoD - Renegade Kid
 

RUMOR - Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS off-screen pics show Palutena as playable



You know how this goes...real or fake? The debate is raging on right now as I post this. I'm sure it'll all be cleared up by the time morning hits. As of right now, here's what seems to have been deduced.

- The Mario seen above is not from any previous screen
- The Palutena model is not from Kid Icarus: Uprising
- The background is 100% original

Place your bets now and keep tabs on this thread to see what comes of it all.

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
64 total comments (View all)
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 13:53

cberger wrote:
MasterofMonster wrote:But why Assist Trophy? If you're talking about the guy that posted these leaks, he wasn't the one that said it's a Assist Trophy. ^^ It was a random commenter that jokes about it.

And I do doubt Assist Trophies will have outlines, though of course we have none to compare with,


I'd sooner assume she's an Assist Trophy than a playable character. It's a little much for secondary character to be playable from a series with one recent game. Not to mention the fact she's a goddess. That's about my reasoning. I saw her as an Assist Trophy the moment I saw the rumor.

Falco and Wolf are secondary characters (and not particularly unique either) with little in the way of worthwhile games in recent years... and Ganondorf is a veritable god of a character with the Triforce of Power... so what's your point?
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 13:55

cberger wrote:
MasterofMonster wrote:But why Assist Trophy? If you're talking about the guy that posted these leaks, he wasn't the one that said it's a Assist Trophy. ^^ It was a random commenter that jokes about it.

And I do doubt Assist Trophies will have outlines, though of course we have none to compare with,


I'd sooner assume she's an Assist Trophy than a playable character. It's a little much for secondary character to be playable from a series with one recent game. Not to mention the fact she's a goddess. That's about my reasoning. I saw her as an Assist Trophy the moment I saw the rumor.


Well, I'd say she is much too detailed to be a Assist Trophy (that plus the outlines), especially for the 3DS version which seems to have trouble with too many Pikmin as it is. ^^ Also, she's the second most important character in KI, and is one of the most popular choices when it comes to smash, both here and in Japan. Plus, Sakurai made Uprising, so it would shock me greatly if he didn't include at least one character from there. ^^
And that Godess part makes no sense, though. Ice Climbers are kids that climbs Mountains, Squirtle is a Little turtle and Ganondorf is basically a Pig Demon. :3 Being a godess doesn't exclude her in any way.

Not saying this is true (though I am personally convinced right now).
No Avatar
22 Jan 2014 14:12

cberger wrote:Based on all available data, I'm going to assume that the pic is real, and that Palutena is an assist trophy. Furthermore, this would mean that the outlines are not limited to playable characters.

If you look closely at the outline near where Palutena's knees should be, you can see that the color BEHIND the outline matches what it should be (a light color surrounded by dark). This is the biggest reason for the pic to be real.

Except she is one of the most requested characters in Japan and Sakurai loves her character. So it would make more sense for her to be playable.
No Avatar
22 Jan 2014 14:22

MasterofMonster wrote:Well, I'd say she is much too detailed to be a Assist Trophy (that plus the outlines), especially for the 3DS version which seems to have trouble with too many Pikmin as it is. ^^ Also, she's the second most important character in KI, and is one of the most popular choices when it comes to smash, both here and in Japan. Plus, Sakurai made Uprising, so it would shock me greatly if he didn't include at least one character from there. ^^
And that Godess part makes no sense, though. Ice Climbers are kids that climbs Mountains, Squirtle is a Little turtle and Ganondorf is basically a Pig Demon. :3 Being a godess doesn't exclude her in any way.

Not saying this is true (though I am personally convinced right now).


First off, GanonDORF is a human. Ganon, which Ganondorf only transforms into as the Final Smash in Brawl, is the "pig demon". Similarly, Palutena only appears during Pit's Final Smash. If Sakurai's going to hold that Ridley can't be playable because he's too big, Palutena must also be excluded for the same reason: including them on a level playing field with the normal characters would be too absurd.

Her level of detail isn't very telling either. There is no concrete information on the limitations of Assist Trophies right now. Since there can probably only be one at a time, the level of detail can be higher on them.

I'm not saying she CAN'T be playable. I'm saying this only shows she's in the game, if real. And personally, I'd sooner believe she's an Assist Trophy.
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 14:25

Ganondorf IS Ganon, though. Her being a godess doesn't matter in the slightest.
Also, really? Palutena is too big? You do know she's in a normal size mostly, right? Even in Brawl's cutscene.
No Avatar
22 Jan 2014 14:32

MasterofMonster wrote:Ganondorf IS Ganon, though. Her being a godess doesn't matter in the slightest.
Also, really? Palutena is too big? You do know she's in a normal size mostly, right? Even in Brawl's cutscene.


I think you completely missed my point... reread what I said and try again.
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 14:32

I don't believe this to be real for various reasons that have already been stated.

@MasterofMonster, you sure do like hyping yourself up over the smallest rumors don't you? This is real just like they wouldn't show Cranky at VGX right? :lol:
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 14:36

pokemaster515 wrote:I don't believe this to be real for various reasons that have already been stated.

@MasterofMonster, you sure do like hyping yourself up over the smallest rumors don't you? This is real just like they wouldn't show Cranky at VGX right? :lol:


As I explained, I thought that event was gonna be just that, a big event with a live audience. I had never seen VGX, and thought it was something, but it was 2 hours of dieper jokes. And come on, now you just sound mean. :?
Also, the Starman in Palutena's belt-thing is yet Another 'proof' that this is real. Not sure what things you have seen that Points to it being fake.

@cberger
No, I guess I don't really see what you say, but whatever, to each his own.
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 15:06

The 'Points to it being fake' are seen in pretty much every post you've been arguing against in this thread. And I only bring up the VGX because it was a shining example of you hyping up rumors that were never going to happen only to have you disappointed when it didn't come true. It was a tease no more malicious than some of the things you write to certain users.
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 15:11

@pokemaster
I've had no intention to sound 'malicious'. If you meant that with cberger, I just didn't get his logic, and it sounded like he just wanted it to be fake (but in a lighter tone compared to a lot of people on other sites I've been following). And I don't hype up rumors unless they are likely to be true (don't really remembering hyping up anything except for that adult dieper fest thing, but as I said, it wasn't a show I thought it would be).
I've also seen nothing that 'proves' it's fake, though. ^^ In fact, 'proof' that it's real keeps showing up. Not only is there a Starman in her belt, but there's what appears to be one of Dedede's brooches from Brawl's SSE. I really don't see anyone faking it with that detail.

But I've never said this IS real, just that I personally Think Everything Points to it. Just trying to understand the reasons people Think it's not, that's all. Never meant to sound mean to anyone.
No Avatar
22 Jan 2014 15:19

MasterofMonster wrote:@pokemaster
I've had no intention to sound 'malicious'. If you meant that with cberger, I just didn't get his logic, and it sounded like he just wanted it to be fake (but in a lighter tone compared to a lot of people on other sites I've been following). And I don't hype up rumors unless they are likely to be true (don't really remembering hyping up anything except for that adult dieper fest thing, but as I said, it wasn't a show I thought it would be).
I've also seen nothing that 'proves' it's fake, though. ^^ In fact, 'proof' that it's real keeps showing up. Not only is there a Starman in her belt, but there's what appears to be one of Dedede's brooches from Brawl's SSE. I really don't see anyone faking it with that detail.

But I've never said this IS real, just that I personally Think Everything Points to it. Just trying to understand the reasons people Think it's not, that's all. Never meant to sound mean to anyone.


Suspension of disbelief. Can you really see Ridley fighting on even terms with Samus? The same problem exists for Palutena. I'm not saying absurd matchups haven't been done before (Bowser running as fast as Sonic? priceless), but Palutena would be one of them.

The poster never said Palutena was an Assist Trophy, but they never said she was playable, either.
No Avatar
22 Jan 2014 15:25

I think it would be neat to have Paluteena as playable. She could wield a rod/staff unlike all of the sword wielders. Plus who doesn't want to see goddess Paluteena versus goddess incarnate Zelda. Plus, Pit's smash can be changed to summon Viridi's forces of Nature.
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 15:25

Mario fights Bowser on even terms, so yeah, I can see that. Bowser is much smaller in Smash than in most games he appears in. ^^ And I don't see the problem for Palutena at all, I mean, all the 'gods' in KIU seems to change from giants to normal size. If it's not the size you mean, but Power, since she is a godess, then I don't get that either. If Pichu can beat Ganondorf, then Samus can beat Ridley, and everyone can beat Palutena.
Also, Bowser being as fast as Sonic? You mean in the Olympic games?

And yeah, he never said exactly what she was. But, she has fingers, and is at least as detailes as Zelda, and also has the black outlines. The Skull Kid, and Ashley, do not have fingers. So I really doubt Palutena, for the 3DS, would have that much details (fingers, outlines, Starman and Brooch in her belt, etc) if she was just a Assist Trophy you'd just see for a minute Before she's gone.
Of course she CAN be a Assist Trophy, I just don't see it. But you know, let's just wait and see, since arguing about it won't solve anything.
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 16:02

So no one knows yet the origin of the pics?
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 16:05

cberger wrote:Suspension of disbelief. Can you really see Ridley fighting on even terms with Samus? The same problem exists for Palutena.

That's literally the worst argument against Palutena possibly being playable.

You realize we're talking about Smash Brothers, right?
No Avatar
22 Jan 2014 16:22

As neat as this would be, I think it must be a fake picture. I noticed how on the top of the first screen, there's a bit of a pixel distortion that can normally occur when people were touching up a photo, but missed a few spots.
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 17:06

8 bit wrote:
cberger wrote:Suspension of disbelief. Can you really see Ridley fighting on even terms with Samus? The same problem exists for Palutena.

That's literally the worst argument against Palutena possibly being playable.

You realize we're talking about Smash Brothers, right?

Agreed. Besides, Palutena's not really that strong, is she? She may be a goddess but that doesn't mean she's almighty. At least in terms of battle ability, Pit is probably stronger than her, honestly. And either way, this is a game where a bounty hunter in a power suit and a huge fire-breathing turtle monster fight on the same terms as a yoga instructor and a child living a peaceful life in a town filled with animals. There's no such thing as "too strong" or "too weak" in Smash Bros.
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 18:10

MasterofMonster wrote:

[color=#004000]The fact that Sakurai made Uprising gives Kid Icarus a pretty big chance alone. Plus, Palutena is one of the most wanted characters everywhere basically, and well, I'd say she fits pretty well. ^^



I understand that, but I still don't think she'd make a great or necessary inclusion.

There are so many other characters that could be added, from games/franchises not already represented, such as:

Starfy
Little Mac
Mike Jones from StarTropics (whose yo-yo would make for a unique moveset)
Chibi Robo (if they can make Olimar an oversized fighter than why not)

As well as other female characters I think would work better and are more deserving, such as:

Dixie Kong (again, hair attacks would make her unique)
Captain Maple Syrup (I know I keep bringing her up, but she WAS the primary antagonist of the Wario Land games, she's a great, funny character, she's a pirate AND a female villain, all things making her unique)


Just saying. Again, I'm not AGAINST Palutena being added. I just don't really "get" her inclusion if she were to make it in. I would REALLY love to see all those characters listed above make it in.
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 19:19

@Devil_Rising
Yo, I (kind of) agree with you man. There are lots of characters I'd rather have than Palutena, too. Even other Kid Icarus characters! But also ones from non-represented franchises, like you're saying. My three most wanted characters are Lip, Takamaru and Karate Joe. Most of your examples are higher than Palutena on my list as well. And yes, I can agree that some (but not all) of them are perhaps more "deserving" than her. But, let's face the facts, Palutena is still much likelier to be included for various reasons that have already been stated, most importantly the fact that she's more popular. Honestly I'd be more surprised if she's not in it, and that was true even before this supposed leak.
But, hey, that doesn't mean those other characters can't be in it too!
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 20:33

Oh yeah. Knuckle Joe, with a Ken/Ryu type moveset like Fighter Kirby gets, would be awesome. And Takamaru the samurai would be sweet as well. I guess in a "perfect" world, all those characters both of us have mentioned would make it in. And hell, I guess even Palutena too. I just don't like the idea of her getting a roster spot but someone like Little Mac, etc. not.
User avatar
22 Jan 2014 20:43

@Devil_Rising
No, not Knuckle Joe, Karate Joe from Rhythm Heaven! Incredibly unlikely, I know, but I can hope.
User avatar
23 Jan 2014 10:07

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................well I've never played Rhythm Heaven so I wouldn't have known. :wink:


I'd still love to see Knuckle Joe though. :mrgreen:
User avatar
23 Jan 2014 10:19

This justification that it's fake because "Palutena is a god and would be way too good" is quite possibly the most hilarious thing I've ever read. Denial much?

Edit: Wait, I lied. The guy comparing Palutena to Ridley is probably funnier.
User avatar
23 Jan 2014 10:32

kevinxnelms wrote:This justification that it's fake because "Palutena is a god and would be way too good" is quite possibly the most hilarious thing I've ever read. Denial much?

Edit: Wait, I lied. The guy comparing Palutena to Ridley is probably funnier.


Pretty much this. Plus, there are already plenty of proofs in Smash already.
User avatar
23 Jan 2014 10:37

Her face looks odd, too pudgy and round and not pretty and smooth like it should be.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed