Earthbound being added to VC, Japan only

Talk about online services such as WiiWare, the eShop, Virtual Console, etc., or about online-enabled games.

Earthbound being added to VC, Japan only

Postby Hylianhero777 » 23 Jan 2013 22:06

Link. http://operationrainfall.com/mother-2-finally-coming-to-japanese-virtual-console/

So that's what Itoi meant by making mother playable.

Well **** you too Nintendo. After I got so pumped about Monolith's new project.
Heck yeah ZELDA!
Hylianhero777
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Hylianhero777

Re: Earthbound being added to VC, Japan only

Postby PaperLink64 » 23 Jan 2013 22:25

Relax, perhaps Nintendo of America and Europe need a little more time to clear EarthBound's VC release.
PaperLink64
Octorok
Octorok

3DS: 1805-3015-8051
Wii: 6643-1766-9039-6758
PSN: PaperLink64HD

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 23 Jan 2013 22:31

Well, it's Japan only for now, and we'll await an international release (whenever it happens or not) until then:
Spoiler:
Random, useless Trivia: The Wii U GamePad fits in a big pocket, do I recommend you to do so? NO!
HammerGalladeBro
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby mock turtle » 23 Jan 2013 22:33

PaperLink64 wrote:Relax, perhaps Nintendo of America and Europe need a little more time to clear EarthBound's VC release.

They had six years to do it, if they didn't do it in that amount of time, they're not going to do it now.

Although, I wasn't aware Earthbound/Mother 2 wasn't on the Japanese VC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it one of those games that was included as a demo in Brawl? And wasn't it noted for being conspicuously removed from the American release? Doesn't that mean it's like the only "masterpiece" in the Japanese version that was never available on VC? The mind, it boggles. Need more information.

@HammerGalladeBro:
Can I just say that I hate Reggie? I don't get why people like him. It's not just that he's probably been a key player in some abysmal decisions over the years, but I just don't like him personally. He's got a face you just want to (falcon) punch.
mock turtle
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby PaperLink64 » 23 Jan 2013 22:36

mock turtle wrote:
PaperLink64 wrote:Relax, perhaps Nintendo of America and Europe need a little more time to clear EarthBound's VC release.

They had six years to do it, if they didn't do it in that amount of time, they're not going to do it now.

Although, I wasn't aware Earthbound/Mother 2 wasn't on the Japanese VC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it one of those games that was included as a demo in Brawl? And wasn't it noted for being conspicuously removed from the American release? Doesn't that mean it's like the only "masterpiece" in the Japanese version that was never available on VC? The mind, it boggles. Need more information.

@HammerGalladeBro:
Can I just say that I hate Reggie? I don't get why people like him. It's not just that he's probably been a key player in some abysmal decisions over the years, but I just don't like him personally. He's got a face you just want to (falcon) punch.

Yeah, they had six years to do it, but only NOW is the Japanese Virtual Console even getting EarthBound in the first place. Maybe we just need to wait a little longer, it WAS planned to be released on VC in the US going by the ESRB ratings.

It was one of two games that were removed from the Masterpieces in Brawl and replaced with two other games, the other being Fire Emblem, but of course no one raises a stink about Fire Emblem because of EarthBound's status.
PaperLink64
Octorok
Octorok

3DS: 1805-3015-8051
Wii: 6643-1766-9039-6758
PSN: PaperLink64HD

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 23 Jan 2013 22:42

mock turtle wrote:

@HammerGalladeBro:

Yep, it had a 5 minutes demo in Brawl, it, along with Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (Monsho no Nazo), were removed for the international release, the latter was already available on Japanese VC, though.

I could care less about Reggie, but when he gets on the way, he's really annoying and really deserves a good (Falcon) Punch and a good (Falcon) Kick in the b@lls, I just hope his body is ready for all the outrage if EarthBound doesn't come, He's gonna need it.

EDIT: PaperLink64 beat me to it.
Random, useless Trivia: The Wii U GamePad fits in a big pocket, do I recommend you to do so? NO!
HammerGalladeBro
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby wisdomcouragepower » 23 Jan 2013 23:23

Another Earthbound thread? I wonder how long it would take for the first rant to be posted
wisdomcouragepower
Fairy
Fairy

Postby VinceFox » 24 Jan 2013 00:22

1. You people made the game fail via NOT BUYING IT WHEN IT CAME OUT!
2. The Starmen are hopeless and everything they try to do fails
3. The only way for Nintendo to listen is with demand but sadly with violent games and FPS games being the top sellers in the US video game retail scene (as they over saturated the market) it will be hardly likely they would with those blasted Hardcore Gamers breathing down their necks

I know this is harsh but it's sadly the truth
VinceFox
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RetroToonMaster
3DS: 3351-4181-1924
PSN: RetroToonFan

Postby CrispyGoomba » 24 Jan 2013 01:11

VinceFox wrote:1. You people made the game fail via NOT BUYING IT WHEN IT CAME OUT!
3. The only way for Nintendo to listen is with demand but sadly with violent games and FPS games being the top sellers in the US video game retail scene (as they over saturated the market) it will be hardly likely they would with those blasted Hardcore Gamers breathing down their necks

Every post I see you write deals something with hardcore gamers...I take that term like a grain of salt.

Anywho-dazzle, I'm hoping for it to be released to the west for a numerous reasons, but it kind of makes sense not to have it as a .30 cent game. I mean, surely they have heard the cries of fans of how bad they wanted the game, so since they want it so bad, they'll pay top notch for it! Basically what I'm trying to get at is this is smart business move considering it all. Of course my logic is down the drain if it really does never come.
CrispyGoomba
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: CrispyGoomba
3DS: 0688-5315-1722
Wii: 1198-2138-8210-1532
XBL: CrispyGoomba

Postby VinceFox » 24 Jan 2013 01:19

CrispyGoomba wrote:
VinceFox wrote:1. You people made the game fail via NOT BUYING IT WHEN IT CAME OUT!

Every post I see you write deals something with hardcore gamers...I take that term like a grain of salt

That's because they are killing the industry and we must fight to regain balance or all is lost
VinceFox
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RetroToonMaster
3DS: 3351-4181-1924
PSN: RetroToonFan

Postby Thermithral » 24 Jan 2013 02:07

I have never played this game, or any game in this franchise, so I cannot say I understand the great obsession many people have with it. That being said, since people are so vocal about it, chances are it will eventually be released for people to play. I suppose the issue is eventually, is a very vague release date.
You are not entitled to an opinion. You may have one, but if it is not based on logic and reason, then it is as worthless as the rest of your words.
Thermithral
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: blahara
3DS: 1375-7535-6452

Postby MoldyClay » 24 Jan 2013 05:02

1. I didn't even know EarthBound existed until SSB, and I had a Genesis instead that gen. Some people weren't even old enough to play EarthBound when it came out. So how is this their fault?
2. Well obviously fan demand got Nintendo and XSEED to take notice in releasing some Wii games. This is more of a "Capcom abandoning Megaman" type of thing.
3. If hardcore gamers are such a threat to Nintendo releasing EarthBound, why would they be making a Yoshi game made of yarn? You know, the cutesiest thing they could think of?

I know this is harsh, but you're sadly mistaken.

Thermithral wrote:I have never played this game, or any game in this franchise, so I cannot say I understand the great obsession many people have with it. That being said, since people are so vocal about it, chances are it will eventually be released for people to play. I suppose the issue is eventually, is a very vague release date.

A lot of people like the story, and it's a fun/modern take on RPGs, unlike how most RPGs take place in fantasy worlds fighting Dungeons & Dragons monsters, Mother/Earthbound is in suburbs and you fight generic-ass creatures (like dogs) and crazy things (like hippies, or a kangaroo-shark). Some are just on a bandwagon.

As for why people are so vocally insane about it, it's just because we got EarthBound and then NOA abandoned it after it sold poorly, but we've had Ness and Lucas in SSB, rubbing salt in the wounds.

Mother 3 was a LATE GBA game (DS was out, IIRC), so there was pretty much no chance that it was going to come here at that point in time, and as years went on it was just too far away. People are annoyed about EarthBound and the Virtual Console because it was literally one of the FIRST GAMES they mentioned being available for VC when Wii was announced and it is only just NOW coming out in Japan.

However, SINCE it is only just now coming out in Japan, I can accept the possibilities of it coming out worldwide.

The real question is, will they pull a Capcom and work together with the guys who translated Mother 3 and stick that on the GBA VC? Probably not, but that'd be cool.

Hylianhero777 wrote:Link. http://operationrainfall.com/mother-2-finally-coming-to-japanese-virtual-console/

So that's what Itoi meant by making mother playable.

Well **** you too Nintendo. After I got so pumped about Monolith's new project.

That's really nobody's fault but your own for getting excited about that.

I expected a 3D Classic at best.

EDIT: Also, here's a quote from one of the guys from Starmen I guess:

If you all think Starmen.net is going to dog Nintendo for a VC release now, let me tell you guys that we have no such plans. Half of the community (the younger fans) are disappointed that it was only a VC release for one game instead of a physical release of all three. While the other half (the older fans) are simply burned out from the previous call-ins, sieges, etc. at this point, the community in general just wants to be that: a community. We've grown a reputation for being insane, crazy people who take one franchise WAY too seriously. While there may be some truth to that, most everyone has mellowed out over the years and aren't as "hardcore" as they used to be.

I myself believe the game may still be released in North America and Europe. When Shigesato Itoi first mentioned the revival of his franchise, he mentioned that he wanted to make Mother "playable" again. This leads me to believe that he and his team changed all of the legal issues regarding a re-release, thus making it a go for VC. Also, since only Mother 2 is getting a VC release (at least for now), and ONLY Mother 2 was localized in America, that increases its odds for a worldwide release.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby bellboy » 24 Jan 2013 08:55

mock turtle wrote:

Under that logic why the heck not? (If Japan can get it after all this time...)
bellboy
Boo
Boo

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby MoldyClay » 24 Jan 2013 09:01

bellboy wrote:
mock turtle wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand why they wouldn't now, after Japan is only now getting it.

Japan had 6 years to do it as well, and they didn't do it until now.

Soooo... why would the West be any different?
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

Postby Carbondog » 24 Jan 2013 11:17

I have waited 6 years to play my all time favorite game on the VC. I can wait a few more months for it to come to the WiiU VC. Or they could just release it now and I would pay a little extra for the WiiU upgrade later!
Carbondog
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Carbondog
3DS: 3179-6063-7018
Wii: 6339-9624-3474-8158
PSN: Nintenpx
XBL: DeftCarbondog

Postby J0RdAnN » 24 Jan 2013 11:39

Here is my thought Nintendo knows how "crazy" the fan base is in the west so why not capitalize on that at release the game for $8 rather then $0.30. and maximize profit. Plus that's also a really good E3 hype announcement that Nintendo could make, now that we've seen part of Nintendo's hand. I can see Reggie walk on stage "After today's conference North American Wii U owners will be able to download Earthbound on Wii U's Virtual Console" The last part might be a bit of fan dreaming but it'd still be effective.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 24 Jan 2013 12:11

MoldyClay wrote:
bellboy wrote:
mock turtle wrote:They had six years to do it, if they didn't do it in that amount of time, they're not going to do it now.

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand why they wouldn't now, after Japan is only now getting it.

Japan had 6 years to do it as well, and they didn't do it until now.

Soooo... why would the West be any different?

The difference was that Earthbound actually almost came out for VC here on the Wii (it was rated and everything), but Nintendo of America's lawyers think that they could get sued for the game, and Nintendo of Japan refuses to let NoA change anything (or something along those lines).
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Postby MoldyClay » 24 Jan 2013 14:42

Broken_Cartridge wrote:The difference was that Earthbound actually almost came out for VC here on the Wii (it was rated and everything), but Nintendo of America's lawyers think that they could get sued for the game, and Nintendo of Japan refuses to let NoA change anything (or something along those lines).

Yeaaaah... NOA... I don't like them. They're way too afraid of stuff (or rather, Reggie is too afraid, maybe?)

I'm assuming Itoi knows Western fans want to play it again, so it's possible they just had to negotiate how to do this.

They also probably know that at that point, the Wii VC was just a wasteland and it would've been dumb to put it out there. The Wii U VC is a perfect opportunity to do it now, they know people will be on board.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

Postby wiiarebrothers » 24 Jan 2013 17:45

J0RdAnN wrote:Here is my thought Nintendo knows how "crazy" the fan base is in the west so why not capitalize on that at release the game for $8 rather then $0.30. and maximize profit. Plus that's also a really good E3 hype announcement that Nintendo could make, now that we've seen part of Nintendo's hand. I can see Reggie walk on stage "After today's conference North American Wii U owners will be able to download Earthbound on Wii U's Virtual Console" The last part might be a bit of fan dreaming but it'd still be effective.

Exactly. Why not keep the announcement for a US-centric game event (or at least, non-japan) ?
Plus, it'd be kind of stupid to miss on all of those $8 when people are paying $150+ for the cartridge only.
I'm pretty sure it'll get released in the US. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure about Europe and Australia (well, we had Super Mario RPG, so maybe...)

I wonder if the WiiU VC GBA support is related to mother3...
wiiarebrothers
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: wiiarebrothers
3DS: 3866-7995-7423
Wii: 2865-2186-3272-4357

Postby Ngamer01 » 24 Jan 2013 20:14

But the thing is even if Itoi could clean up all the copyright issues with the Mother series, there's the fact NoA originally passed on the Rainfall trilogy out of fear any resources it would use for localizing would be lost should three niche titles bomb in America.

Sure Xenoblade could arguably be called an exception, but NoA didn't do anything except take the UK version and bring it over. Also GameStop and XSEED stepped up to take on the risks of localizing niche games meaning NoA would not have to eat the costs alone should the games bomb in America.

The bottom line is it may take an ATLUS or an XSEED to step up to publish a Mother game for NoA for the US to have a chance at the series again. NoA has no faith in the US market despite the very vocal EB fanbase at Starmen.net.
Ngamer01
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: Ngamer01
3DS: 403861748183

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 02 Feb 2013 19:47

I still don't get why people hate reggie. It's not all his fault that mother 2 is not currently coming to NA, but rather EVERYBODY at NOA and NOE. We'll certainly get it considering how much EB posts are made on the miiverse and how it's the ONLY mother game able to be translated in the US.

I AM mad that out of all the game we could have got instead, we got that cruddy version of Punch out instead of A link to the past or something like that.

Proud Nintendo fan since N64, proud RPG fan since Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

NN ID: TheDreaminHawk

Postby J0RdAnN » 03 Feb 2013 01:13

its because NOA knows they can make a bigger profit off Earthbound.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby Nintend()\/\/|\|312 » 08 Feb 2013 14:45

The number one rule about being an Earthbound fan: never, ever, get your hopes up.
Nintend()\/\/|\|312
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Return to Online services