GB/GBC game suggestions.

These little handhelds will not die...and we don't want it to! GBA, GBASP, GBMicro... anything NOT DS-related belongs in here!

GB/GBC game suggestions.

Postby Jack Caymen » 16 Aug 2009 16:12

Hey the only handheld I have is GameBoy Color. Now I know early games were more or less ports of console games, but there are still some great made for gameboy games out there. Nintendo or Third Party.
So my question is are there any classics on either GB or GBC that I need to have?

The only noteworthy titles I have:
Oracle of Time and Seasons
Warioland 3
Poke'mon Red and Yellow with all 151 captured.
Poke'mon Gold that can't save :[

Also I am looking for:
Link's Awakening*
Metroid II

So what am I missing?

*Edit-Thanks for pointing that out I always get awakening and link to past confused for some reason.
Last edited by Jack Caymen on 17 Aug 2009 12:38, edited 5 times in total.
Jack Caymen
Flicky
Flicky

Wii: 0872-9624-5122-2365

Re: GB/GBC classic that I need.

Postby sba sb3002 » 16 Aug 2009 17:04

Donkey Kong
The title is deceiving, this game isn't a port of the arcade classic. It's a really cool platformer that inspired the Mario vs Donkey Kong series. I highly recommend it.

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
The only sequel to the cult classic Kid Icarus. It's just as hard as the original. Good times.

Kirby's Dreamland 1 and 2
Kind of easy but it's a charming and simple platformer. I recommend 2 over 1, but 1 is a classic.

Mario's Picross
A really neat puzzler based numbers. If you like Sodoku you'll probably be a fan of picross too.

Pokemon Trading Card Game
A card-based Pokemon RPG. It's just like the standard Pokemon games only instead of catching Pokemon, you win them after you beat other trainers. Also it's a lot shorter. You can find it for around $5 on the internet and it's well worth the price.

Tetris DX
If you don't already own a portable Tetris I highly recommend this. This is before the hold button and features a nice multiplayer mode. I've spent hours playing this game.

Mole Mania
A puzzler by Miyamoto. It's about a mole who solves puzzles by digging holes and pushing balls. I can't explain this very well. I recommend YouTubeing it or something.

Super Mario Bros Deluxe
A port of the NES Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros Lost Levels. This is, to my knowlege, the only portable versions of both games. Check it out.

Pokemon Crystal
Is arguably the best game in the series. You already have Gold though, so whether or not you might want this game depends on how much you like Pokemon.

By the way, a Link to the Past isn't on the GameBoy. Maybe you're thinking of Link's Awakening?
sba sb3002
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Wii: 2264-9704-7868-5940

Re: GB/GBC classic that I need.

Postby Jack Caymen » 16 Aug 2009 22:32

sba sb3002 wrote:Donkey Kong
The title is deceiving, this game isn't a port of the arcade classic. It's a really cool platformer that inspired the Mario vs Donkey Kong series. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the tips. I saw several of the Donkey Kongs at the flea market and assumed it was just a port. Maybe I'll check it out.
Jack Caymen
Flicky
Flicky

Wii: 0872-9624-5122-2365

Re: GB/GBC game suggestions.

Postby Walo » 20 Aug 2009 20:25

Donkey Kong is one of the greatest gameboy games by far.
Be sure to check Metal Gear, it's essentially MG2 with a non canon story, good stuff.
Also I''ve always liked the Game&Watch series, especially 3.
Oh, and Azure Dreams is a dungeon crawler with a little bit of pokemon- It seriously rocked.
And check the Mario Land series (including the original Wario Land) great stuff.

But the second guy nailed it with his post.
Walo
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Dorkchop » 26 Aug 2010 18:05

Games I liked:

Metal Walker
Mario Golf
all Zeldas
Mario Land 1 and 2
Kirby 1 and 2
Wario 1, 2, and 3
Pokemon Trading Card Game
Dorkchop
Flicky
Flicky

3DS: 4725-8537-3053
XBL: hidorkchop

Postby VoodooThursday » 12 Jan 2011 20:53

Xtreme Sports is a great hidden gem, it's by the dudes who made Shantae, get that too if you can find it for less than a kings ransom!

My other reccommendation is Mario Tennis, easily my most played handheld game to date. I love busting that sucker out when I'm uber-bored. :D
The tool formerly known as DizzeeRascal.
VoodooThursday
Boo
Boo

3DS: 1246-8713-6335
Wii: 6078 0958 9625 6044
XBL: FazzOmega

Postby Oreanta » 12 Jan 2011 23:31

My sincerest condolences on your "dead" Pokemon Gold version. Mine, too, died and I could no longer save. Since I don't have a DS I can't get HeartGold or SoulSilver (Gold/Silver being my favorites in the series), so I decided to take apart the game, remove the battery and replace it myself. It worked for about two days, but it was very touchy. I must have shaken the game too hard, because the battery stopped touching the circuit for a brief second... deleting all of my save data with it.

Anyways, to answer your question, Pokemon Trading Card Game is pretty good, as well as Kirby Tilt n' Tumble. Good call on Zelda: Link's Awakening... it's awesome. (I wish they would do more 2D Zelda...). Super Mario Land and Final Fantasy Legend II are great, too. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge is good for fans of Tetris Attack! for the SNES. Also, you should pick up Shantae! I hope you find some awesome games! Best of Luck.
Wii U is so awesome, even the ambulances are saying it.
Oreanta
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby geozeldadude » 11 Aug 2011 13:46

a little off-topic, but replacing a GB/GBC cart battery is very doable. i, who have never soldered in my life, gave it a try and it worked great. i was thinking about setting up a service where people could mail me their games and i would fix them for a small fee, but i don't know if i'm quite that motivated. ;)

oh, and i have to give a shout-out to pokemon pinball for GBC. that game rocked.
geozeldadude
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Oreanta » 21 Aug 2011 20:35

Don't forget Oracle of Ages and Seasons! To me, they're like 2D Ocarina of Times! :) And in my top 3 Zelda games :D
Wii U is so awesome, even the ambulances are saying it.
Oreanta
Chocobo
Chocobo

Return to Legacy Portables