Pokemon X and Y

Whats better then one screen? Well two screens of course! Current-gen portables inside: DS, Lite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS...

Re: Pokemon X and Y

Postby bellboy » 14 Oct 2013 10:32

I've had a kind black-out in regards to this game. I've not been following it as closely as other games, I only knew certain details by release.
Downloaded the moment it became available. Played about half an hour (very late and was very tired). So taken aback by it I got really teary-eyed. :oops: (I'm a life-long fan, mind. A single sentence review right there.)

Anecdotes aside. Just beat Gym 3. Curb-stomped with good-old Pidgeot. Got the ability to Mega Evolve. Have my Charizard now. Debating whether to keep the Lucario I was given in my team or much better one that I had been training since I caught a Riolu. When he matches levels I'll make a choice. Just got Surf. (Somehow missed Cut, so going back for it now)

Team is currently: Frogadier, Lapras, Charizard, Raichu, Lucario* and Tyrunt.
Bold = Keeping for sure.
*He was my best in Diamond. (Like crazy-best. Super effective, not effective, ineffective; either way your ass was his.)
bellboy
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby AadmM » 14 Oct 2013 11:09

14 hours in and only one badge, all thanks to my insatiable need to catch as many Pokemon as possible...and Amie. Anyone else find themselves addicted to petting their Pokemon? Haha.

Anyway, I have six Pokemon all around level 20 (some higher, a couple newer ones that haven't quite gotten there yet) and I'll probably be hitting the second gym shortly.
AadmM
Metool
Metool

NN ID: atombeany
3DS: 2019-9824-4588

Postby ninjaTOASTY » 14 Oct 2013 11:14

I'm wondering if maybe we'll see a new Deoxys form. As most people probably know, Deoxys was form from DNA that was found in a meteorite. In Diamond and Pearl's Veilstone City, you can find four meteorites that change Deoxys' form when you interact with them. In the Fossil Lab in Ambrette Town in X and Y, there are five meteorites sitting on a shelf. I'm only speculating here, but who knows since you can't get Deoxys in X and Y until Pokemon Bank comes out.
Check out The Tails and Sonic Show! It's awesome ^_^
ninjaTOASTY
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: TOASTY
3DS: 0903-2738-6276
Steam ID: ninjaTOASTY
PSN: shinobiTOASTY
XBL: ninjaT0ASTY

Postby TheLastBlade » 14 Oct 2013 12:01

You know what still scares the crap out of me? A guy Gardevour (and it's previous evolution's name that escapes me).....
You know what I love about being Spiderman?

Everything.
TheLastBlade
Boo
Boo

Postby bellboy » 14 Oct 2013 12:14

TheLastBlade wrote:You know what still scares the crap out of me? A guy Gardevour (and it's previous evolution's name that escapes me).....

Kirlia.

Also, while I'm here. Have a Lapras use Surf on the water in X/Y. (They finally did it!*)

Spoiler:
*To my memory...
bellboy
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby CM30 » 14 Oct 2013 12:38

ninjaTOASTY wrote:I'm wondering if maybe we'll see a new Deoxys form. As most people probably know, Deoxys was form from DNA that was found in a meteorite. In Diamond and Pearl's Veilstone City, you can find four meteorites that change Deoxys' form when you interact with them. In the Fossil Lab in Ambrette Town in X and Y, there are five meteorites sitting on a shelf. I'm only speculating here, but who knows since you can't get Deoxys in X and Y until Pokemon Bank comes out.

That's a really interesting thought. Maybe we will get a new form, anything's possible.

Heck, maybe a Mega Deoxys is in the cards given the theme to this game.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Metool
Metool

3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Postby MasterofMonster » 14 Oct 2013 14:52

TheLastBlade wrote:You know what still scares the crap out of me? A guy Gardevour (and it's previous evolution's name that escapes me).....

So you are ok with a Female Machamp? :lol:
MasterofMonster
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 14 Oct 2013 16:12

No, no, it's actually all about the original Mrs Mr Mime [despite having a slight type change in XY, this is still possible]! :shock: :?
Chosenoneknuckles
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Chosenoneknux
3DS: 1590-4669-5649

Postby Darth Vader » 15 Oct 2013 02:45

if anyone wants starters I'm breeding charmander, squirtle, bulbasaur, and froakie and will have a couple available for trade in a day or so

I'll breed a specific nature if someone would be willing to let me borrow one of their starters to breed one

I'm really digging this game, I figured the experience share would make things too easy but since this game just throws so many Pokemon at you it's enabled me to train a shovel ton of them at once. my current roster includes Gallade, Aegislash, Binacle, Frogadier, Wartortle, Raichu, Skrelp, both Meowstics, Heracross, Vespiquen, Tyrunt, Scolipede, Axew, Croagunk, and Carbink. And I haven't even hit the fourth gym, the variety in this game is nuts
Vader's Gonna Go Play Some More Dankey Kang
3DS info - The Hoss - 0602 6282 8767
Darth Vader
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 15 Oct 2013 13:28

I'm currently in the seventh Gym, but just wanted to post about what I discovered for myself today.

Namely this Mega Evolution:

Spoiler:

He looks so awesome! :) [I'd never used the line in battle before, but man, I just might now!]

I hope I have plenty more to discover...
Chosenoneknuckles
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Mako » 15 Oct 2013 18:16

nGen wrote:If you don't catch Snorlax the first time you come across him are you S.O.L?

Did you not save right before you fought him? I always make sure to save right before Pokemon like that/ gym leaders/ elite four members/ etc.

----------
Also, using 3D makes the frame rate so bad that any benefit that 3D would have had is lost...

17 hours in, 4 badges. My team so far (for battling) consists of:

Delphox lv 46
Venasaur lv 42
Tyrantrum lv 39
Pangoro lv 38
Lapras lv 32
Nidoking lv 30

I was extremely happy when I saw that you actually ride Lapras when you use Surf with him. Then I was a bit upset that he is the only one they modeled; everyone else appears to be some little black blob thingy.
Mako
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: Mako91
3DS: 4167-4543-6089
Wii: 0725-3780-1331-9030
PSN: yugoboy91

Postby Darth Vader » 15 Oct 2013 18:22

So am I alone in thinking that this is the best Nintendo game I've played in years?

I mean seriously, I had my doubts but Game Freak really knocked this one out of the park. It's a huge game that's packed with variety and new things to do. It's surprisingly pretty in motion, they must have fired whoever did the non-Colress music from Gen V because the music is by far the best in the series (3 examples - Cyllage City, Rival music, Team Flare Grunt, all distinctly Pokemon sounding and yet still quite fresh), the availability of every single type in the game early on is pretty refreshing, the animations and models for Pokemon are totally astounding, etc. etc. I could heap praise on this game for hours and hours.

Oh and again, if anyone needs any one of the first or sixth generation starters, let me know and I'll give you one for free :p
Vader's Gonna Go Play Some More Dankey Kang
3DS info - The Hoss - 0602 6282 8767
Darth Vader
Shyguy
Shyguy

Pokemon X and Y Torchic Event Nature

Postby Syrek » 15 Oct 2013 18:29

So I'm trying to get the adamant nature for my torchic that I get from the mystery gift and I've been starting for hours to no avail. Even some other natures aren't showing up when I restart to get a different nature. Does anyone have any ideas behind this or am I just having really bad luck?
Syrek
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Mychal

Postby TheLastBlade » 15 Oct 2013 19:50

You know, after 3 gym battles (though, I admit that the third gym leader was a cutie), the game sort of gets interesting. Too bad that it took awhile to get there.... Was Black and White and their sequels this slow?

Everything.
TheLastBlade
Boo
Boo

Postby Cassidy » 15 Oct 2013 21:09

TheLastBlade wrote:You know, after 3 gym battles (though, I admit that the third gym leader was a cutie), the game sort of gets interesting. Too bad that it took awhile to get there.... Was Black and White and their sequels this slow?

That's hard to compare, since Black and White was more story-based than this game is. There is still a story here, but you don't see it too much.
Cassidy
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: KingCassidy
3DS: 4854-6597-5917
Steam ID: Morbid Safety
XBL: ThisIsACassidy

Postby TheLastBlade » 15 Oct 2013 21:27

Cassidy wrote:
TheLastBlade wrote:You know, after 3 gym battles (though, I admit that the third gym leader was a cutie), the game sort of gets interesting. Too bad that it took awhile to get there.... Was Black and White and their sequels this slow?

That's hard to compare, since Black and White was more story-based than this game is. There is still a story here, but you don't see it too much.

I can see that.... Korrina is still a cutie though~

Everything.
TheLastBlade
Boo
Boo

Postby MoldyClay » 16 Oct 2013 03:14

Current Team:
- Frogadier
- Charmeleon
- Gardevoir
- Pancham
- Vivillon
- Honedge

Haven't the slightest idea what team I actually want in this game. I have others on hold and others I want but can't get yet. This game sucks in terms of creating a team. There's too many i want to use.

Also, I have a pseudo Final Fantasy IV/Dante's Divine Comedy theme going with Frogadier being named Cagnazzo & Charmeleon being named Rubicante.

Considering renaming Gardevoir "Barabariccia" and naming a Dragalge "Scarmiglione".

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

No, no, it's actually all about the original Mrs Mr Mime [despite having a slight type change in XY, this is still possible]! :shock: :?

Mr. Mime is entirely a NOA thing, though.

It's just Barrierd in Japan. NOA didn't know genders were coming, so they just went with it. Then they wound up with that.

As for Gardevoir, I forget what the logic there is, but I mean, there are other obvious gender-centric Pokemon that are both genders (like aforementioned Machamp).

Mako wrote:Also, using 3D makes the frame rate so bad that any benefit that 3D would have had is lost...

17 hours in, 4 badges...

1. While there's obvious framerate dipping, I haven't seen anything I'd call "so bad". Just a dip or two here and there. I have 3D on at all times, even though 80% of the game isn't in 3D. I love the 3D caves and stuff.

2. I have to ask, since you have 4 badges at 17 hours, are you just going through the game and not catching everything?

I ask because, I'm at 26 hours with only 2 badges, but I have late 20-mid 30 levels, but I caught 79 Pokemon and made a point to keep searching until I found some rare ones (like Ralts, Female Combee, etc) as well as leveling up a few guys I'm not even using and doing lots of Pokemon Amie (maxed out 2 Pokemon, partway through a 3rd).

I feel like I'm playing slow, but it's primarily because I'm focusing on not progressing so much as catching everybody, playing minigames and exploring.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » 16 Oct 2013 06:00

Last night in Pokemon X, I caught Xerneas, discovered
Spoiler:
Mega Gyrados [a Water/Dark, which is interesting]
GTS traded for a Froakie, Fennekin and Ditto, and am now in the eighth Gym town!

Clocked up about 37 hours so far, since I got my copy last Thursday [because I'm one of those who likes exploring, catching etc. along the way].
Chosenoneknuckles
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Sailing_Day » 16 Oct 2013 09:16

MoldyClay wrote:1. While there's obvious framerate dipping, I haven't seen anything I'd call "so bad". Just a dip or two here and there. I have 3D on at all times, even though 80% of the game isn't in 3D. I love the 3D caves and stuff.

I'll concede that the 3D in caves is great, but the 3D in battles kills the framerate the vast majority of the time. Sometimes it won't be too bad, like when you're in a plain jane stage, but in the ones with a lot of effects, like rain or wind, it causes a huge framerate drop.

MoldyClay wrote:I feel like I'm playing slow, but it's primarily because I'm focusing on not progressing so much as catching everybody, playing minigames and exploring.

I always leave the "catch em all" portion of the game until after the elite four. Maybe it's just me, but if you wait until then, you have a beefier pokedex and it becomes easier to find all the critters. My team is already pretty much set, save for a couple of wild cards, so I don't catch many pokemon unless I really, really want it. My main team right now is Greninja, Krookodile, Charizard, Simisage, Lucario and Dendenne, 25 or so hours in and I just beat the 5th gym, and I sink a lot of time into that dang Pokemon Amie thing, too.

Also, Lumiose City is so HUGE. Like, it makes Castelia City look like a joke! I love just getting lost in it.
Sailing_Day
Octorok
Octorok

Postby nGen » 16 Oct 2013 12:30

Just did my first ever online battle and first ever trade with another player. It was awesome!
Any objections lady?
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Postby TheLastBlade » 16 Oct 2013 13:04

Watched the Pokemon Origins anime. It was fun, but there were a few dumb moments.

Everything.
TheLastBlade
Boo
Boo

Postby MoldyClay » 16 Oct 2013 13:40

Happenings:

- Used Wonder Trade. Got Japanese Steelix & Furfrou.
- Leaving 2nd gym area
- Kirlia evolved into Gardevoir
- Found a Thunderstone
- Bunch of TMs
- Caught Whismur (PUMBLOOM)
- Maxed out Gardevoir's affection, working on Charmeleon's
- Found out you can pet Pokemon in-battle
- used the Global Link site and saw my achievements/uploaded my photo
- Frogadier's going to evolve soon. OHHHHH MAN

Sailing_Day wrote:I'll concede that the 3D in caves is great, but the 3D in battles kills the framerate the vast majority of the time. Sometimes it won't be too bad, like when you're in a plain jane stage, but in the ones with a lot of effects, like rain or wind, it causes a huge framerate drop.

I always leave the "catch em all" portion of the game until after the elite four. Maybe it's just me, but if you wait until then, you have a beefier pokedex and it becomes easier to find all the critters. My team is already pretty much set, save for a couple of wild cards, so I don't catch many pokemon unless I really, really want it. My main team right now is Greninja, Krookodile, Charizard, Simisage, Lucario and Dendenne, 25 or so hours in and I just beat the 5th gym, and I sink a lot of time into that dang Pokemon Amie thing, too.

Also, Lumiose City is so HUGE. Like, it makes Castelia City look like a joke! I love just getting lost in it.

- Ah, yeah. I've only experienced the sandstorm as far as weather effects since I didn't go very far yet.

- Another reason I stopped going far was because usually I play simultaneously with my girlfriend, but I have more free time than she does, so I wound up playing ahead and went back to catch stuff while she caught up.

Usually what happens is, I catch everything near the beginning, then I stop because I want to progress and then I breeze through and do the CATCH EM ALL part in full blast at the end.

Another reason I was taking long is, I made the mistake of not running away. I just fought EVERYTHING that came out of the grass. Now, though, I have eased up on that since I'm overleveled for the area I'm in. I'm likely going to stop going out of my way to catch things unless I see them now too. Like, once I got out of the one cave, I didn't bother with the grass stuff so much. So I'll probably blast through it soon.

I also am extremely indecisive this time because of movepools. I want to mostly use new guys, but I have no idea what they learn/TMs, so I keep messing around with different pokemon. I usually have a team pretty much planned out, but I am so stumped.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

Postby J0RdAnN » 16 Oct 2013 14:14

-Got the game yesterday on the Fairy Gym.
-Team is currently Blaiziken, Lucario, Greninja, Blastoise, Amura, Talonflame. Decent type coverage but lots to exploit too.
-I've been trying to only catch new Pokemon but it's been pretty hard so far. Apparently theres only 60+ new ones...(not counting the Mega Evos)
-Helioptile has some sort of move that makes a new electric weather condition. I have no idea what it does as my Combusken (now Blaziken.) killed it in one hit with Ember and a burn.
-I've been looking for that new Poodle pokemon. Furfur or whatever...Just to see what the hair cut thing does... Anyone know what routes they're found on? Serebii seem to be heavy on the traffic...
-The story feels absent in this game...
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Toad
Toad

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby Cassidy » 16 Oct 2013 14:43

So, you want to know how little the game cares about the story?

Spoiler:
In the tower where you get the Mega Ring, you and your rival are expected to get one. However, there's only one ring left and the both of you battle for it. Later, in the post game, you see her again. This time, she has a Mega Ring of her own. Where did she get her own ring?

Well, the game doesn't tell you. It's like she magically has one now and the game doesn't have the courtesy to at least make something up.

I don't know why, but I find that amusing.
Cassidy
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: KingCassidy
3DS: 4854-6597-5917
Steam ID: Morbid Safety
XBL: ThisIsACassidy

Postby MoldyClay » 16 Oct 2013 15:45

J0RdAnN wrote:-I've been looking for that new Poodle pokemon. Furfur or whatever...Just to see what the hair cut thing does... Anyone know what routes they're found on? Serebii seem to be heavy on the traffic...
-The story feels absent in this game...

Furfrou is on Route 5, which is between Lumiose City and Camphrier Town.

Heads up on the haircuts: It costs money, but when you box it, it IMMEDIATELY loses the haircut it had. Additionally, apparently you unlock more haircuts if you keep doing it. There are green-themed Furfrous with tophats or whatever.

But yeah, it's all cool until you stick it in a box. I don't know if the colors/haircuts do anything other than just aesthetics. The stats didn't change, nor type, but it could be something you'd only notice in battle, which I didn't test.

As for story, I think with Gen 6 they were like WE FOCUSED TOO MUCH ON STORY AND A BUNCH OF POKEMON LAST GEN.

Also, from what I understand, it picks up later in the game, so it's just kinda slow. Like, Team Flare doesn't have presence for a lot of the early game.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

PreviousNext

Return to 3DS / DS