Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (March 24th 2013)

Whats better then one screen? Well two screens of course! Current-gen portables inside: DS, Lite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS...

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (March 24th 2013)

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 02 Feb 2013 19:27

I'm surprised there isn't a topic on this. Coming March 24th (The same day as LM2), This is a all new Pokemon mystery dungeon game, and it seems awesome! There are only around 150 pokemon, but that isn't bad considering how it's silly to try recruiting all 649 pokemon in a PMD game. Who else is excited?
Last edited by TheDreamingHawk on 15 Mar 2013 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Nintendo fan since N64, proud RPG fan since Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

NN ID: TheDreaminHawk

Re: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Postby CrispyGoomba » 02 Feb 2013 19:49

When they first announced that it was going to be localized, I was ready to buy it day 1. Since then, other games that I have been wanting longer for have been given a release date close to it so now the hype train has died down a little bit. Plus, after watching some footage and hearing some details about the game didn't help much either. I'll pass for now, but I'll pick it up at a later date.
CrispyGoomba
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: CrispyGoomba
3DS: 0688-5315-1722
Wii: 1198-2138-8210-1532
XBL: CrispyGoomba

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 02 Feb 2013 21:39

CrispyGoomba wrote:When they first announced that it was going to be localized, I was ready to buy it day 1. Since then, other games that I have been wanting longer for have been given a release date close to it so now the hype train has died down a little bit. Plus, after watching some footage and hearing some details about the game didn't help much either. I'll pass for now, but I'll pick it up at a later date.

Well, listen to the OST at least before changing your mind. It's fantastic!

Proud Nintendo fan since N64, proud RPG fan since Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

Postby Heatran5400 » 02 Feb 2013 22:30

Pretty sure that not many people will buy or heard of it as it is overshadowed by Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon as it comes out on the same day, March 24,2013. Sad.

I really want this game, but I can only buy 2 games which I am getting are LM DM and Fire Emblem Awakening. I might buy Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity later.
Hi. This may be me.
Heatran5400
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Heatran5400
Steam ID: Heatran5400

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 02 Feb 2013 23:25

I don't think LM2 will overshadow PMD, it'll probably be the other way around. Pokemon is a big name franchise and it'll probably outsell LM for a while. I mean, PMD GTI in Japan was in the top 20 sales charts ever since it launched. And IMO PMD GTI seems to be the better game anyway as LM2 seems too easy and too short (We haven't seen anything new besides the multiplayer recent) and PMD is the opposite. A good plan for those wanting either a hard or easy game

TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

Postby Heatran5400 » 03 Feb 2013 00:02

True, Pokemon is a big franchise, but there have been NO videos/trailers for PMD Gti. AS of that, i think, that not many people have seen or known about this game.

Off Topic: Has anyone thought why Nintendo is trying to bring back games from the past with sequels? I mean, KI Uprising, Luigi's Mansion 2, Balloon Trip (VC download/Nintendo Land Attraction), PMD GTI (new in dungeon series after a few years) have all been created as sequels/new game. There must be a reason...
Hi. This may be me.
Heatran5400
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Heatran5400
Steam ID: Heatran5400

Postby CrispyGoomba » 03 Feb 2013 00:51

TheDreamingHawk wrote:I don't think LM2 will overshadow PMD, it'll probably be the other way around. Pokemon is a big name franchise and it'll probably outsell LM for a while. I mean, PMD GTI in Japan was in the top 20 sales charts ever since it launched. And IMO PMD GTI seems to be the better game anyway as LM2 seems too easy and too short (We haven't seen anything new besides the multiplayer recent) and PMD is the opposite. A good plan for those wanting either a hard or easy game

I don't know man, based on VGCharts*, LM2 is sitting at 143k pre-orders. On the other hand, PMD is no where to be seen. Granted, they might not have the data for the game, as they only put in Fire Emblem: Awakening like 2-3 weeks ago. But if they do have the data for the game, then it's sitting below 32k pre-orders right now (They only list the top 40). Plus, like Heatran5400 said, there has been basically no hype for the game or even a twitter tweet about the game from Nintendo from what I've seen (Compared to LM2). Now, this could change over time because there's still a month till it releases, but still, you get the point.

* http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/
Heatran5400 wrote:Off Topic: Has anyone thought why Nintendo is trying to bring back games from the past with sequels? I mean, KI Uprising, Luigi's Mansion 2, Balloon Trip (VC download/Nintendo Land Attraction), PMD GTI (new in dungeon series after a few years) have all been created as sequels/new game. There must be a reason...

I don't know, but I like it! :D
CrispyGoomba
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: CrispyGoomba
3DS: 0688-5315-1722
Wii: 1198-2138-8210-1532
XBL: CrispyGoomba

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 05 Feb 2013 21:33

CrispyGoomba wrote:
TheDreamingHawk wrote:I don't think LM2 will overshadow PMD, it'll probably be the other way around. Pokemon is a big name franchise and it'll probably outsell LM for a while. I mean, PMD GTI in Japan was in the top 20 sales charts ever since it launched. And IMO PMD GTI seems to be the better game anyway as LM2 seems too easy and too short (We haven't seen anything new besides the multiplayer recent) and PMD is the opposite. A good plan for those wanting either a hard or easy game

I don't know man, based on VGCharts*, LM2 is sitting at 143k pre-orders. On the other hand, PMD is no where to be seen. Granted, they might not have the data for the game, as they only put in Fire Emblem: Awakening like 2-3 weeks ago. But if they do have the data for the game, then it's sitting below 32k pre-orders right now (They only list the top 40). Plus, like Heatran5400 said, there has been basically no hype for the game or even a twitter tweet about the game from Nintendo from what I've seen (Compared to LM2). Now, this could change over time because there's still a month till it releases, but still, you get the point.

* http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/
Heatran5400 wrote:Off Topic: Has anyone thought why Nintendo is trying to bring back games from the past with sequels? I mean, KI Uprising, Luigi's Mansion 2, Balloon Trip (VC download/Nintendo Land Attraction), PMD GTI (new in dungeon series after a few years) have all been created as sequels/new game. There must be a reason...

I don't know, but I like it! :D

Well, if Japan's review outlet is anything to believe, this seems to be a REALLY good game... Two out of four reviewers gave it a 10 out of 10 in famitsu, and it's higher ranked than a few other NCL 3DS games

TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

Postby belmontlegacy » 05 Feb 2013 21:39

I have never tried any games in this particular series of Pokemon, but was thinking this new one may be a good place to start.
belmontlegacy
Shyguy
Shyguy

XBL: The Ahnold

Postby MoldyClay » 22 Feb 2013 04:41

TheDreamingHawk wrote:Well, if Japan's review outlet is anything to believe, this seems to be a REALLY good game... Two out of four reviewers gave it a 10 out of 10 in famitsu, and it's higher ranked than a few other NCL 3DS games

Famitsu depends... I mean they gave Nintendogs a perfect score, as well as NSMBW (it's a good game. But perfect?) and Final Fantasy XIII-2. FFXIII has a near perfect score (39).

From gamers, I've heard a lot say this: It is better than the original Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but not nearly as good as the other sets.

It also doesn't have all Pokemon in it and you can't recruit all of the legendaries to use, which is a bummer.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 23 Feb 2013 11:26

MoldyClay wrote:
TheDreamingHawk wrote:Well, if Japan's review outlet is anything to believe, this seems to be a REALLY good game... Two out of four reviewers gave it a 10 out of 10 in famitsu, and it's higher ranked than a few other NCL 3DS games

Famitsu depends... I mean they gave Nintendogs a perfect score, as well as NSMBW (it's a good game. But perfect?) and Final Fantasy XIII-2. FFXIII has a near perfect score (39).

From gamers, I've heard a lot say this: It is better than the original Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but not nearly as good as the other sets.

It also doesn't have all Pokemon in it and you can't recruit all of the legendaries to use, which is a bummer.

TBH, FFXIII-2 Is quite a good game, and it made a ton of improvements over the original, so I can see why. Nintendogs probably got a great score due to it's infinite replayabilty, which is understandable.

And regarding the lack of all pokemon: It's happened in a LOT of other spin offs too, Ranger, Pokepark, Typing adventure, Conquest... ETC. I actually like the lack of pokemon in this game, as 155 is not a bad amount for pokemon, look at gen I. Plus I think the reasoning for it is due to how extremely hard and agonizing it is to recruit all 492 pokemon in the same game on Sky, so if they had you recruit all 649 pokemon, it woukd be downright impossible. 155 makes it more reasonable.

And I seriously doubt anyone legitimately gives a crud about not being able to recruit some legendaries. In the older games a few of them had a 1% recruit rate, and it wasn't even worth the time to battle them a lot. I think they are focusing more on experience and story and content instead of length. This seems like it's actually a VERY Long game due to the main story, the post story, and then trying to reach 999999 points in the pokemon paradise, and then recruiting every single recruitable pokemon

TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

Postby MoldyClay » 24 Feb 2013 04:04

TheDreamingHawk wrote:
MoldyClay wrote:

TBH, FFXIII-2 Is quite a good game, and it made a ton of improvements over the original, so I can see why. Nintendogs probably got a great score due to it's infinite replayabilty, which is understandable.

And regarding the lack of all pokemon: It's happened in a LOT of other spin offs too, Ranger, Pokepark, Typing adventure, Conquest... ETC. I actually like the lack of pokemon in this game, as 155 is not a bad amount for pokemon, look at gen I. Plus I think the reasoning for it is due to how extremely hard and agonizing it is to recruit all 492 pokemon in the same game on Sky, so if they had you recruit all 649 pokemon, it woukd be downright impossible. 155 makes it more reasonable.

And I seriously doubt anyone legitimately gives a crud about not being able to recruit some legendaries. In the older games a few of them had a 1% recruit rate, and it wasn't even worth the time to battle them a lot. I think they are focusing more on experience and story and content instead of length. This seems like it's actually a VERY Long game due to the main story, the post story, and then trying to reach 999999 points in the pokemon paradise, and then recruiting every single recruitable pokemon

My problem with FF13-2 and Nintendogs isn't being highly rated, but being given a perfect score. Can you tell me with a straight face that those games deserve perfect scores? Regardless if a virtual pet has infinite replayability and an RPG is better than expected, I don't think they warrant 40/40.

And I know most spin-offs are missing Pokemon. Heck, even Snap, when we still only had 151 was missing a bunch. My main beef is that it doesn't have all of 5th gen at the very least and I feel like there was some gen (forget which) that was barely present. I feel like there are a lot of great 5th gen missing from the new game.

My only beef is that I really want to play as Kyurem. I want a game where I am running around as Kyurem, especially his forms. Closest thing is Rumble Blast and Rumble U, but yeah.

Keep in mind, I've only played the beginning of two PMD games, so I don't know anything about why it is hard/annoying to have them all, so excuse my ignorance on the subject.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 24 Feb 2013 12:49

And I know most spin-offs are missing Pokemon. Heck, even Snap, when we still only had 151 was missing a bunch. My main beef is that it doesn't have all of 5th gen at the very least and I feel like there was some gen (forget which) that was barely present. I feel like there are a lot of great 5th gen missing from the new game.

My only beef is that I really want to play as Kyurem. I want a game where I am running around as Kyurem, especially his forms. Closest thing is Rumble Blast and Rumble U, but yeah.

Keep in mind, I've only played the beginning of two PMD games, so I don't know anything about why it is hard/annoying to have them all, so excuse my ignorance on the subject.[/quote]

You've only played the beginnings? Well, I highly advise you to complete both games to the end, so you can see how amazing the series is

TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

Postby nGen » 24 Feb 2013 13:23

MoldyClay wrote:My problem with FF13-2 and Nintendogs isn't being highly rated, but being given a perfect score. Can you tell me with a straight face that those games deserve perfect scores? Regardless if a virtual pet has infinite replayability and an RPG is better than expected, I don't think they warrant 40/40.

Keep in mind, I've only played the beginning of two PMD games, so I don't know anything about why it is hard/annoying to have them all, so excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Can you tell my why Nintendogs doesn't deserve a perfect 10/10/10/10? Remember this is Japan, where apartments are to small for many types of dogs. Nintendogs was the best pet sim on the market and better than any past sim that came before it. It also had some of the best graphics seen on the DS that added to the realism of the pets. I completely agree that Nintendogs is a 40/40 game, more than I do about a game like Skyrim.
Any objections lady?
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 28 Feb 2013 18:52

I just don't know why people are not buying the game JUST for the lack of pokemon.

Seriously. Remember Pokemon snap and how so many people love it and want a sequel? It only had half of the original 151... HALF. That isn't all of them and it's still plays well.

And pokemon conquest! Only about 200 pokemon, and reviewers and players love it.

Pokepark wii 1 and 2, games that revolve around you MAKING FRIENDS with certain pokemon, doesn't have hardly any pokemon in it, and some players and reviews don't mind the lack of pokemon.

Yet PMD 3DS is coming out and everyone is going nuts because there is only 144 pokemon. If the game plays well, has a amazing story and soundtrack, the pokemon count doesn't matter. This is coming from a HUGE Celebi, Grovyle, Articuno, and Chikorita fan, and none of those pokemon are in the game. Does this bother me? No, because the game is still huge on content.

I don't even think there has been ANY spinoff where all 649 pokemon have been actively used. (Rumble blast does not count as the whole purpose of RB is to recruit a huge army of pokemon and fight with others. I have over 300 Pokemon in my current party and I'm only on chapter 2.) So why is the lack of all the pokemon a major deal? I could understand not wanting to buy the game if the game was only 10 hours long, had no post game content and no DLC, but that's not the case here. It has a TON of content (A insane amount of dungeons, DLC and post game add-ons to the paradise), so how is this one little detail a gigantic problem..? Keep in mind in PMD you can't trade pokemon, which makes it extremely hard to recruit all 649 pokemon if they were in the game.

And as for some legendaries not being recruitable, do you remember the percentage of a recruit in PMD Explorers for some of them? ONE PERCENT. That's almost like being unable to recruit them at all, so it's no big loss. Yes, you could recruit Dialga and Palkia after the game's ending if you battle them again, but they were extremely overpowered and killed the challenge in the game.

This is why Famitsu's review is SO important to me, as the previous games have gotten low scores. The lack of pokemon clearly didn't bother them.

TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 28 Feb 2013 21:40

I've never played a Mystery Dungeon game, but after watching videos and reading up on this game it seems pretty cool. And it's nifty that the game is only $35!

However, since Luigi's Mansion comes out the same day, I'll most definitely getting that first and that'll be occupying most of my time, so I'll probably skip this for the time being and pick it up later on down the line.

I think it would have been better on Nintendo's part to release this game at the beginning of March or at least in the middle.
If you add me on any platform, shoot me a PM and let me know!
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: GeneticRepoMan
3DS: 3952-7010-8227
PSN: darkfire0

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 28 Feb 2013 22:11

GeneticRepoMan wrote:I've never played a Mystery Dungeon game, but after watching videos and reading up on this game it seems pretty cool. And it's nifty that the game is only $35!

However, since Luigi's Mansion comes out the same day, I'll most definitely getting that first and that'll be occupying most of my time, so I'll probably skip this for the time being and pick it up later on down the line.

I think it would have been better on Nintendo's part to release this game at the beginning of March or at least in the middle.

This actually was announced BEFORE LM2's date, so it's Luigi's fault... I STRONGLY recommend buying this ASAP, depending on if you like the demo or not!

TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 28 Feb 2013 22:23

TheDreamingHawk wrote:
GeneticRepoMan wrote:I've never played a Mystery Dungeon game, but after watching videos and reading up on this game it seems pretty cool. And it's nifty that the game is only $35!

This actually was announced BEFORE LM2's date, so it's Luigi's fault... I STRONGLY recommend buying this ASAP, depending on if you like the demo or not!

Well regardless on which came first, one of the games should have come out sooner, I care not which :P.

But I'll definitely check out the demo. That may sway my opinion towards insta-buy or waiting a month or so.
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 02 Mar 2013 00:48

And just as I hoped for the demo, it's coming... THURSDAY!

It has a 10 Use Limit BTW, so if you are like me and can't wait for this game and will use the demo to grind levels over and over, don't shut off your 3DS!

TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 02 Mar 2013 01:07

It'd be awesome if you can transfer your data over from the demo to the final game! Any word on that?
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby ninjaTOASTY » 02 Mar 2013 04:18

Serebii.net wrote:This demo, if the same as the Japanese one, will feature the first 45 minutes of play of the game, as well as dozens of special Magnagate dungeons. Then, you can use the demo's save to continue on when you get the game later on in the month

According to Serebii, this is the case (or at least it was in Japan. I don't know why they wouldn't do that here though). I think more demos need this feature!
ninjaTOASTY
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: TOASTY
3DS: 0903-2738-6276
Steam ID: ninjaTOASTY

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 07 Mar 2013 14:56

Demo out today, and boy, it is AMAZING!!!!

I strongly recommend giving the demo a try, play it all the way through and try the extra magnagates.

TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

Postby J0RdAnN » 07 Mar 2013 15:26

ah still semi grid based movement...my biggest gripe w/ this side series...I'm sure my friends will eat this game up however.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 07 Mar 2013 16:06

ninjaTOASTY wrote:
Serebii.net wrote:This demo, if the same as the Japanese one, will feature the first 45 minutes of play of the game, as well as dozens of special Magnagate dungeons. Then, you can use the demo's save to continue on when you get the game later on in the month

According to Serebii, this is the case (or at least it was in Japan. I don't know why they wouldn't do that here though). I think more demos need this feature!

I agree entirely. I hate demoes that have like 5-10 minutes of cinematics/story exposition before you can actually get into the game only to have to redo all of it once the game comes out.

The Epic Mickey demo was a chore because of this.

If a demo is going to make you basically do everything involved with the beginning, might as well let you save. . .
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 07 Mar 2013 22:26

UH-OH! The demo has a nasty difference from the JP demo...

Every pokemon is genderless. And you can't set your partner's gender like in the JP version.

WHAT THE HECK? Now they are technically both male as they are both called "He" a lot... And I perfer female partners. They better add this in the full version, or else this game will be terribly broken in comparison to the JP version...

TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

Next

Return to 3DS / DS