Will the Pro Controller replace the Ganepad?

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Will the Pro Controller replace the Ganepad?

Postby Suke » 08 Dec 2012 01:20

I can see the Wii U going on being a success, but deep down, I have a feeling that the Gamepad will be forgotten over the years. Don't get me wrong, the gamepad is a neat little device and I'm sure there will be ways to use it in the future, but other then playing games on the game pad and using it during split screen, do you think 3rd parties devs. will support the gamepad in the next year or two.

The reason why I'm saying this is because I think people are going to buy and use the Wii U Pro Controller more then the gamepad that devs are just going to ignore the gamepad all together and just develop for the pro controller. Maybe its just me missing traditional controllers or feeling annoyed that I have to use my gamepad for almost everything while I'm using the my wiimote.

What do you guys thing, will the gamepad be the next wiimote? and please no rude comments, I just creating a discussing.

PS: To be honest, if devs just develop for the pro controller and just use the gamepad for playing while the TV is occupied, I'll be fine with that.
Last edited by Suke on 08 Dec 2012 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
Suke
Flicky
Flicky

Re: Does the Gamepad have a future?

Postby PatrickTheHuman » 08 Dec 2012 01:42

I think so, at least from NIntendo. Even id it ends up being just for split screen and off-tv play I'd be cool with that, as I LOVE both those features.
PatrickTheHuman
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: PatrickTheHuman
3DS: 0259-0444-2571
PSN: Patthehuman
XBL: PatTheHuman64

Re: Does the Gamepad have a future?

Postby Suke » 08 Dec 2012 01:57

NintendorkZ wrote:I think so, at least from NIntendo. Even id it ends up being just for split screen and off-tv play I'd be cool with that, as I LOVE both those features.

Same here, plus, I use it more like a tablet then controller.
Suke
Flicky
Flicky

Re: Will the Pro Controller replace the Ganepad?

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 08 Dec 2012 11:54

Suke wrote:Will the Pro Controller replace the GamePad?

Nope, I can honestly see the GamePad becoming the new standard. (on Nintendo systems) The middle screen has the potential to be useful. Just needs the right developer to unleash its full potential (without it being called to death a "gimmick"). ;)

Suke wrote:I can see the Wii U going on being a success, but deep down, I have a feeling that the Gamepad will be forgotten over the years. Don't get me wrong, the gamepad is a neat little device and I'm sure there will be ways to use it in the future, but other then playing games on the game pad and using it during split screen, do you think 3rd parties devs. will support the gamepad in the next year or two.

Yes we'll probably continue to see more forced GamePad features in the next year and beyond from 3rd parties. I doubt Nintendo will let another "Wii motionplus" situation happen again.

Suke wrote:The reason why I'm saying this is because I think people are going to buy and use the Wii U Pro Controller more then the gamepad that devs are just going to ignore the gamepad all together and just develop for the pro controller.

I doubt developers would ignore the GamePad. It has everything you'd find on a normal controller and more. Plus not to mention it comes with the system so it would be silly to straight up and believe more people will go out and buy a pro controller than use the one that comes with the system. I really only see the pro controller being bought more for multiplayer games tbh.

I really don't want to see the GamePad go to waste… by Nintendo that is. ( 3rd parties, I could careless what they do with it. XD)
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby ddddd » 08 Dec 2012 14:12

The gamepad is the primary control imput, every WiiU owner has it, allows motion and touscreen gaming, and is the whole reason of the WiiU. Making a game only for secondary controllers tjat have less features (and dont bring anything that the pad cannot do) like the wiiremote or pro controller is a risky move in terms of sales since it forces consumers to purchase another peripheral just to play a game like they do in 360.
Even if the pro controller was used as the primary imput, a gamepad option will always be on the games.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby CM30 » 08 Dec 2012 20:02

Probably not, everyone who buys a Wii U has a Game Pad, but not all of them have a Pro Controller. And I suspect a lot of games will use features like the touch screen for various things, which can't be replicated with the Pro Controller.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Postby Autosaver » 08 Dec 2012 22:46

The only thing I don't like about the Gamepad is will probably replace the Wii Remotes.

..I liked Skyward Sword/NintendoLand.
Autosaver
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Autosaver

Postby Devil_Rising » 09 Dec 2012 03:38

In a word: No. Because thus far, the Gamepad is the best controller Nintendo has come up with since the SNES. It seems huge, and it is, but it's very light and comfortable to hold, unless you're trying to hold it one-handed. The number of different features and functionality the controller itself has is rather amazing. The fact that you can use it as a remote for your TV and cable even when the console is off, is pretty damn cool. Let alone the fact that you can play most games right on the controller screen, without needing the TV to be on. And besides that, I honestly don't like the look/feel of the so-called "Pro" controller. The Classic Controller Pro model, if anything, was vastly superior, and they should have stuck with that.

But overall, the GamePad's button layout, the buttons themselves, the dpad, the sticks, the touch screen, pretty much everything except the battery life, all works great.
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby Magolor » 12 Dec 2012 04:19

I don't think so. The Gamepad is madanotry. Unlike the optional pro controller. Also the gamepad resembles a normal controller more than the wiimote did.
Magolor
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: MagolorTheGreat
Steam ID: FlakkTheGreat

Postby joshb1983 » 12 Dec 2012 05:51

I hope not, because I have no intention of ever buying a Pro.
joshb1983
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 12 Dec 2012 15:38

joshb1983 wrote:I hope not, because I have no intention of ever buying a Pro.

Same here.

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to release a GCN Pro controller…
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby EthanSauce » 22 Dec 2012 23:02

well the gamepad is the BIGGEST thing about the Wii u, ( mostly bigger than HD and miiverse! ) and we pretty much figure that NINTENDO THEMSELVES will keep making games that utilize the gamepad. and by the looks of it now, MICHEL ANCEL REEEAAALLY LIKES THE GAMEPAD! XD
EthanSauce
Fairy
Fairy

Postby archer9234 » 27 Dec 2012 13:43

It will get forgotten to a degree. Several functions will be barely used. I know the mic will get shafted. It happend with the wiimote. Be honest. Who used the built in speaker?
archer9234
Chocobo
Chocobo

Return to WiiU / Wii