Turning America into a Police State?

Tired of talking about video games? In here you can talk up ANYTHING else going on in the world or beyond...

Turning America into a Police State?

Postby Mako » 04 Dec 2011 16:42

Senate has recently passed S. 1867, the National Defense Authorization Act. The Bill only has to be signed by the president in order to be passed into legislature, and of course he is going to sign it... Why is this bill so bad? Well, it basically turns the entire United States into a police state. The army is now allowed to come in, arrest people, and detain them until they are proven innocent. The main stream news is yet again no where to be found in reporting this. The bill is unconstitutional, but people seem to be pr-occupied with other things like Christmas shopping to do anything or even realize what is going on... Maybe Obama will veto the bill and we won't have to worry, or maybe this is just the beginning.

Do we have a right to worry? Is this a result of the Occupy Wall-street protestors? What is going to happen next? What does everyone else think about this?

Another article: http://nvonews.com/2011/12/04/the-natio ... d-veto-it/
Mako
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: Mako91
3DS: 4167-4543-6089
Wii: 0725-3780-1331-9030
PSN: yugoboy91

Re: Turning America into a Police State?

Postby LegendofZelda1996 » 04 Dec 2011 20:10

Mako wrote:Do we have a right to worry?

The answer to that is yes. This shows that the U.S. politicians simply don't care if they are breaking the laws of the Constitution or protecting individual rights. All I can say for now is "R.I.P United States of America!"
LegendofZelda1996
Octorok
Octorok

Postby the_nintendo_screw » 04 Dec 2011 21:09

It really is ridiculous what is happening to our country. What the police did and continue to do to protesters is shameful. Gotta love how we praise the people in Middle East for standing up for their rights and protesting, yet here in our own country the police throw tear gas and flash grenades and shoot peaceful protesters with rubber bullets. Plus rounding people up with nets and spraying them with pepper spray was ridiculous. And the media coverage is absolutely appalling too. They either describe the whole movement as a 'dirty hippies with no clear goal' or there is a media blackout.

This holiday season is really the calm before the storm. Once the new year and election time comes sh*t's gonna hit the fan.

And this makes me sad.
MasterofMonsters is super awesome! I lost a bet. Hehe!
the_nintendo_screw
Octorok
Octorok

3DS: 2062 9226 9407
Wii: 0688 2898 9694 3464

Postby TANK » 05 Dec 2011 00:27

ive listened to Bill cooper(did not have the anwsers,shot dead),Alex jones(NWO advertiser),David icke(lost it).Forget about your countrys being great because they never have from the us,uk,eu,everywhere.whats happenend is most people became ignorant,greedy,self obsest ,and because of that were gonna reap what we sow of parentel neglect and putting your guards down.'Whats happened to our country',i hear and read what you say,forget it,it was never yours you are nothing more than slaves under the delusion that eveythings possible,but none of its real. :(

The worlds population is now 7 billion and we are all sharing the worlds resources and through social class and capitalism somthings goto give,whats that a new loving caring world of peace or the people go,so that the rich can continue to be rich(never put your trust in nobles or the state church?

I myself is turning to christianity because all things happening today was predicted thousands of years ago,and i know what is to come because my faith in man does not exsist,so who do we turn to when the poo hits the fan.
TANK
Flicky
Flicky

3DS: 3866-8474-3333
Wii: 5632-4064-3535-4012
XBL: CrankierTick9

Postby Berrix » 05 Dec 2011 16:32

You know what's funny, for years me and my grandfather talked about the world around us. How we saw certain things at a boiling point that it explodes. He was right about Egypt, he was right about the rebellion in the Middle East reaching many far corners of the world, and even now he was right about this little bit of info. He also has pointed out that many people will feel defeated and just give up cause they never acted out in the first place, only looked for someone to "represent" them so they can support their actions at home. I actually really fear what going to happen next on his predictions based on how the world is moving.

One hell of a violent revolution worldwide. Lord knows how long that would last and how many would suffer.

I myself is turning to christianity because all things happening today was predicted thousands of years ago,and i know what is to come because my faith in man does not exsist,so who do we turn to when the poo hits the fan.

If we're involving religion in this, Christianity wasn't the only one that "predicted" this on such a wide scale. Cherokee and Hopi share many things similar to this about the ending of the Age of Beasts to the Age of Man in the Cherokee calendar. Buddhist monks talked about the world powers on the path of self destruction, but the world itself would not be destroyed. Hell, we may even pick apart Mayans as well as they told of "great change" in the cusp of 2012 (remember Rome wasn't built in a day, change doesn't happen overnight).

Perhaps, in that perspective (I'm Cherokee), this may be the end of the world as we know it and a change of a new era. Don't forget the bible quotes too.

"The meek: for they shall inherent the Earth."

Just to say in a spiritual point of view, these empires will fall and take many many many lives with them cause of their greed. But if I had my choice, I will choose to live as I've been a devotee to the Earth as much as I can for as long as I could remember. If God existed the way many Christians portray him, he would want us to choose to endure for we are his strength. At least that's how I always understood it.
Berrix
Toad
Toad

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby Nintend()\/\/|\|312 » 05 Dec 2011 23:19

I'd like to pretend that this doesn't affect me since I'm Canadian, but it is popular Canadian policy to use the US as a litmus test for laws before passing them here. Even if this bill does pass the president and congress, I don't think it will automatically turn the US into Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia, but it is certainly a step towards that. I think it would make for a great election topic to see which political leaders remember their 20th century history.

As for the end of the world, I don't think people give humanity, and especially the world, enough credit. A little economic trouble and a government trying to pull a fast one on their people are hardly events that I'd call apocalyptic. I certainly cannot tell the future, but given all of the mildly interesting things that have happened throughout history, I doubt the state of the world today and its immediate future will be anything so terrible that grade school students will want to read about in history books a hundred years from now.
Nintend()\/\/|\|312
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby Hamr » 06 Dec 2011 00:45

'Terrorist Congress' :lol:

How about we wait until the bill gets through the House of Reps (where there is a chance that they might just remove the offending provision), through the White House (which has specifically said it will veto any version of the bill that includes it), and survives a constitutional challenge in the cort system before we go throwing around phrases like 'Police state'?

As laws go, the SOPA thing is far more likely to make it through all three rings of government, and it has much more immediate and obnoxious implications for ordinary people.
Hamr
Metool
Metool

Postby Berrix » 06 Dec 2011 02:08

Nintend()\/\/|\|312 wrote:I'd like to pretend that this doesn't affect me since I'm Canadian, but it is popular Canadian policy to use the US as a litmus test for laws before passing them here. Even if this bill does pass the president and congress, I don't think it will automatically turn the US into Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia, but it is certainly a step towards that. I think it would make for a great election topic to see which political leaders remember their 20th century history.

As for the end of the world, I don't think people give humanity, and especially the world, enough credit. A little economic trouble and a government trying to pull a fast one on their people are hardly events that I'd call apocalyptic. I certainly cannot tell the future, but given all of the mildly interesting things that have happened throughout history, I doubt the state of the world today and its immediate future will be anything so terrible that grade school students will want to read about in history books a hundred years from now.

If this is referring to me I wasn't one to say it's an end, nor it's end would be immediate. I do believe we're coming to a time of great change, but what the changes will be I can't tell. I was never a fan of apocalyptic views. Just always one that say enough about great change. Even then, change doesn't happen so drastically or fast enough we notice. These type of actions from the Senate usually speaks volumes of how many don't want to act out on their own volition and instead appoint someone that they believe they can support without acting with it. In the end it never turns out how you plan, it never does. With steps taken like this it is only a matter of time people people start giving a crap again.
Berrix
Toad
Toad

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby chris_the_wing » 06 Dec 2011 02:11

Nintend()\/\/|\|312 wrote:A little economic trouble and a government trying to pull a fast one on their people are hardly events that I'd call apocalyptic. I certainly cannot tell the future, but given all of the mildly interesting things that have happened throughout history, I doubt the state of the world today and its immediate future will be anything so terrible that grade school students will want to read about in history books a hundred years from now.

Except that the world population is the highest it's been in recorded history, technology is evolving like a life force in fast forward, people are monitored & watched by governments & private industry 24/7. If this isn't a time in world history that won't be looked back upon in a hundred years that's probably because everyone will be dead or living in a highly controlled dystopia.

Things are seriously going to get crazy next spring, our politicians & secret society leaders who are mostly religious will see it as a sign of the end & will do absolutely crazy things to make sure we all think it really is the end.

I used to be an infowars guy but I got fed up with Mr. Jones.

Hamr wrote:'Terrorist Congress' :lol:

How about we wait until the bill gets through the House of Reps (where there is a chance that they might just remove the offending provision), through the White House (which has specifically said it will veto any version of the bill that includes it), and survives a constitutional challenge in the cort system before we go throwing around phrases like 'Police state'?

As laws go, the SOPA thing is far more likely to make it through all three rings of government, and it has much more immediate and obnoxious implications for ordinary people.

Except the army & police already work together & The Patriot act already allows indefinite detention without charges, secret trials, & secret jails for anyone who gets themselves disappeared. This is just giving a second row of teeth to the shark.
chris_the_wing
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Hamr » 06 Dec 2011 04:20

TANK wrote:Alex jones

chris_the_wing wrote:The Patriot act already allows indefinite detention without charges

As terrible a law as it is, the Patriot Act is subject to review, reauthorization, and revision every several years; has already had a number successful constitutional challenges to various provisions that are no longer in effect; and has several more on-going challenges making their way through the courts. These are signs that the system works.

secret trials, & secret jails for anyone who gets themselves disappeared

but if they are secret how do you know they exist

and why would you need a law to allow them
Hamr
Metool
Metool

Postby chris_the_wing » 06 Dec 2011 14:55

Hamr wrote:
but if they are secret how do you know they exist

and why would you need a law to allow them

I don't have the article in front of me but the US was caught through an audit of transporting "suspected al qaeda" to secret detention locations around the world. Just to be clear, "suspected al qaeda" is anyone they decide to suspect.

On that note:
"Police include Occupy movement on ‘terror’ list By Adam Parris-Long | Yahoo! News – 16 hours ago

City of London Police have sparked controversy by producing a brief in which the Occupy London movement is listed under domestic terrorism/extremism threats to City businesses.

http://l.yimg.com/os/251/2011/12/05/COL ... 184915.jpg" alt="" width="310" height="518" />
Picture- Occupy LSX
The document was given to protesters at their “Bank of Ideas” base on Sun Street – a former site of financial corporation UBS. City police have stepped up an effort to quell the movement since they occupied the building on 18 November, with the document stating: “It is likely that activists aspire to identify other locations to occupy, especially those they identify with capitalism.

“Intelligence suggests that urban explorers are holding a discussion at the Sun Street squat. This may lead to an increase in urban exploration activity at abandoned or high profile sites in the capital.” The Occupy movement is listed alongside threats posed by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia (FARC), Al Qaeda and Belarusian terrorists.

“Just the words themselves are enough to deceive the public opinion and this is what we see at the moment,” Occupy spokesman Spyro Van Leemnen told Yahoo! News. “We are clearly nothing to do with extremists or terrorists, we are a peaceful group and we do use direct action to raise our point but definitely not terrorism.

“The building has been abandoned for a good few years now and we think it is crazy for a bank to have it empty and not used when we know at the same time there are so many family homes that have been repossessed. Occupying that building and giving it back to the community is definitely not a terrorist act,” he added.

Commenting on the document, City of London Police said: “[We] work with the community to deter and detect terrorist activity and crime in the City in a way that has been identified nationally as good practice.

“We’ve seen crime linked to protests in recent weeks, notably around groups entering office buildings, and with that in mind we continue to brief key trusted partners on activity linked to protests.”"
chris_the_wing
Octorok
Octorok

Postby chris_the_wing » 17 Dec 2011 02:27

And lets not overlook the new Rainbow six game that equates the Occupy protestors as terrorists.
http://news.yahoo.com/anti-wall-street-terrorists-strike-nyc-upcoming-video-001805333.html
Makes you feel all warm a fuzzy doesn't it.
chris_the_wing
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Mako » 17 Dec 2011 03:02

Why do you guys think our government has FEMA camps around the country? The biggest of which can apparently hold 2 million people. Also, why would they now be hiring people to run these camps?

I know everyone thinks Alex Jones is crazy, but here you go anyways:

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/williams/111213

chris_the_wing wrote:And lets not overlook the new Rainbow six game that equates the Occupy protestors as terrorists.
http://news.yahoo.com/anti-wall-street-terrorists-strike-nyc-upcoming-video-001805333.html
Makes you feel all warm a fuzzy doesn't it.

Maybe the government wants to consider these kind of people terrorists? It sure would make it a lot easier to retain them. Or maybe I am just over-reacting to all of this stuff. :?
Mako
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby Koopzilla » 17 Dec 2011 04:26

Hamr wrote:
TANK wrote:Alex jones

Dude, that is hilarious, I had to watch it like 5 times.It looks like he's been possessed by some wicked, wicked devil. It's even funnier than that time Tom Cruise electrocuted Oprah.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Postby amir_zwara » 17 Dec 2011 17:15

Alex Jones isn't crazy, he's uneducated.
amir_zwara
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: amir_zwara
3DS: 5198-2420-6999
Wii: 3577 8066 8965 6572

Postby Mako » 19 Dec 2011 15:40

Hamr wrote:How about we wait until the bill gets through the House of Reps (where there is a chance that they might just remove the offending provision), through the White House (which has specifically said it will veto any version of the bill that includes it), and survives a constitutional challenge in the cort system before we go throwing around phrases like 'Police state'?

National Defense Authorization Act
Senate: 93 'yea' votes to 7 'nay'
House of Reps: 283–136 vote in favor
President Obama: Signed the bill into law

The Bill has passed and with it our rights have been destroyed and most Americans have no idea... Obama himself wanted the bill to include American citizens and suggested Congress add that clause. You can read the bill yourself, but it does include everyone.

Hamr wrote:As laws go, the SOPA thing is far more likely to make it through all three rings of government, and it has much more immediate and obnoxious implications for ordinary people.

Yes, this bill will probably pass as well and will also have enormous consequences. What can we do to stop a government that is corrupted though?
Mako
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby LegendofZelda1996 » 19 Dec 2011 16:55

Mako wrote:What can we do to stop a government that is corrupted though?

Nothing. The United States of America has officially turned into China. Since Congress passed the National Defense Authorization Act, that means that police can arrest someone without any valid reason (For example, the person can be arrested because of someone's skin color, race, religion, or the person is talking bad against Congress) and that many websites will be shut down and blocked. (Google, YouTube, GoNintendo, and etc.)

May God have mercy on the Congress.
LegendofZelda1996
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Hamr » 19 Dec 2011 21:29

Mako wrote:Why do you guys think our government has FEMA camps around the country? The biggest of which can apparently hold 2 million people.

When you boil down the so-called 'FEMA camps' thing, all you end up with is a handful of photos of random buildings with barbed wire fences alongside the plot of the X-Files movie after being thrown into a blender with the 90s militia movement.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 12850.html
http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert ... ilitia-goo

of course, alex jones would point out that david neiwert and popular mechanics are being telepathically controlled by obama and the lizard people so we obviously cannot trust them.

"Also, why would they now be hiring people to run these camps?"

*show listing for a job opening posted in 2007*

*four years later assert that it is now evidence of recent movement in a secret plot (with public job listings) by a completely different administration.*

*suggest that, despite the theory clearly stating that the plot is being carried out by Marxists, it is apparently going to be used in defense of capitalism to imprison a bunch of left-leaning protesters*

"Maybe the government wants to consider these kind of people terrorists? It sure would make it a lot easier to retain them. Or maybe I am just over-reacting to all of this stuff. :?"

Tom Clancy plots, and videogame plots in general, have always been overblown paranoid nonsense with a vaguely-topical slant. When the headlines were all Blackwater this/Blackwater that, the go-to for military games was stopping all those greedy private military corporations. Immigration/the drug war, the big thing was Mexico/Columbians/random brown people from Latin America conspiring to invade the US through the Southern border. Russia in the news, throw out a couple of Call of Dutys featuring World Cold War III. Et cetera.

Mako wrote: National Defense Authorization Act
Senate: 93 'yea' votes to 7 'nay'
House of Reps: 283–136 vote in favor
President Obama: Signed the bill into law.
Hamr wrote:How about we wait until the bill gets through the House of Reps (where there is a chance that they might just remove the offending provision), through the White House (which has specifically said it will veto any version of the bill that includes it), and survives a constitutional challenge in the cort system before we go throwing around phrases like 'Police state'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamdi_v._Rumsfeld

"What can we do to stop a government that is corrupted though?"

This is not a hard question. If you are a sane person: Elect better politicians and donate to organizations that provide actual substantive legal advocacy for causes you support (e.g., the ACLU and the EFF).

If you are not: Convert all your money to gold, stockpile assault weapons and ammo under your mattress, and build a survivalist encampment out in the middle of the woods.

amir_zwara wrote:Alex Jones isn't crazy, he's uneducated.

Alex Jones is neither. He is a savvy businessman who has identified that there is a lucrative market of people willing and eager to accept the most preposterous notions imaginable.
Hamr
Metool
Metool

Return to Random Discussions