Why the Metroid movie never came together

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 28 Dec 2012 14:12

Click Here to View Story

“The challenge for us was that it felt that the biggest lesson Nintendo learned from Mario was to hold onto their rights even tighter, limiting collaboration when it came to translating Metroid to the big screen. Our entire development time was spent exploring the Metroid world, and what we could – and couldn't – do within it.” - former president and co-founder of Tiger Hill, Brad Foxhoven

This fact, coupled with a lack of backstory in the Metroid universe (at that time), lead to the project being killed off in 2007. Nintendo simply needed to flesh out Metroid a bit more to make a movie out of the brand. They were being asked questions about the Metroid universe that didn't have answers yet. Perhaps the decision to kill off the movie was for the best.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Re: Why the Metroid movie never came together

Postby KingBroly » 28 Dec 2012 14:21

But Nintendo made a Metroid movie...

in a collaboration with perverts.

Good job, Nintendo.
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
Sakamoto Lied. Samus Died.
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Postby TimmiT » 28 Dec 2012 14:22

It probably would have been better if those who were going to make the movie would have thought of their own answers for these questions. I mean, even if it was going to be a cash-in, it would have been better than what we got with Other M.
TimmiT
Fairy
Fairy

Postby MAGNUS-8M » 28 Dec 2012 14:24

Good. The part I like most about Metroid is searching, exploring, and adventuring. A movie would be everything else. More than likely it'd just be a drama-fest, a strong-female-lead-with-british-accent, added to some Tarantino explosion-fest. And to top it all off, none of them would realize the game was partially modeled off of ALIEN in the first place until the very end, when they suddenly realize they can't top ALIEN, and they might as well just remake ALIEN.
MAGNUS-8M
Boo
Boo

NN ID: MAGNUS-8M
3DS: 5241-2075-2337

Postby LDAF » 28 Dec 2012 14:29

KingBroly wrote:But Nintendo made a Metroid movie...

Good job, Nintendo.

10/10
LDAF
Goomba
Goomba

3DS: 3737 9697 5034
Wii: 2339 3016 3215 1252

Postby Aiddon » 28 Dec 2012 14:39

Good job, Nintendo.

And you need to find new material. At first it was annoying, now it's just boring.

And seriously, ya wanna make a Metroid film here ya go: Batman as a female bounty hunter in space. Metroid probably would be the easiest (easily recognizable) Nintendo franchise to adapt since Samus actually has true characterization now. In everything pre-Other M (with the exception of Fusion) she was a bloody statue. I almost wonder if they'd be better off doing an anime series.
Aiddon
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby KingBroly » 28 Dec 2012 14:57

Aiddon wrote:And you need to find new material. At first it was annoying, now it's just boring.

And seriously, ya wanna make a Metroid film here ya go: Batman as a female bounty hunter in space. Metroid probably would be the easiest (easily recognizable) Nintendo franchise to adapt since Samus actually has true characterization now. In everything pre-Other M (with the exception of Fusion) she was a bloody statue. I almost wonder if they'd be better off doing an anime series.

I'm certainly glad you're not in charge of marketing.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby bellboy » 28 Dec 2012 15:33

Good job, Nintendo.

That's a pretty ironic observation.
I've long since sold my copy of Other M (for £4, which I was lucky to get as they were 48 new copies on sale for around the same price) but from what I remember when you beat the game all the cinematics become available to watch under the title of "Metroid: Other M the Movie". Which in hindsight, in my opinion, should've been what they did in the first place! A direct-to-DVD movie. Rather than a game. It was like they were acknowledging it's questionable status as a video game.
bellboy
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby Sylverstone14 » 28 Dec 2012 15:39

Good job, Nintendo.

Will it ever kill you to just shut up about Other M? It happened, alright? It's been two years, just let it be.
Sylverstone14
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Sylverstone14
Steam ID: Sylverstone14

Postby Sgt Scyther » 28 Dec 2012 15:51

People have to stop blaming Team Ninja for Samus' portrayal in Other M. Team Ninja just did the gameplay. The horrible story and portrayal of Samus was all Sakamoto.
SSB4 Wish List: Little Mac, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Geno, Captain Rainbow, Raymond Bryce, Female Pokemon Trainer (with Chespin, Braxien, and Greninja), Chibi-Robo, Palutena, Dillon
Sgt Scyther
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby someone17 » 28 Dec 2012 16:11

@Sgt Scyther

true words have been spoken everybody
[sig] Needs more 3DS friends! PM me if you want to add
someone17
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: someone17
3DS: 4940-5433-9684
Wii: 3810850004447042
PSN: someone17

Postby linkgx1 » 28 Dec 2012 16:27

Metroid: Other M was terrible because Samus kept having epic monologues about her period.
linkgx1
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: Linkgx1
PSN: Linkgx1
XBL: Linkgx1

Postby KingBroly » 28 Dec 2012 16:36

Sylverstone14 wrote:

Good job, Nintendo.

Will it ever kill you to just shut up about Other M? It happened, alright? It's been two years, just let it be.

The day I promise to do that will be the day before Nintendo comes out and accepts responsibility for their actions. I'm never going to have any true reconciliation over this. This way is just a constant reminder that they will never live it down.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby Aiddon » 28 Dec 2012 16:37

linkgx1 wrote:Metroid: Other M was terrible because Samus kept having epic monologues about her period.

....Well, you have questionable issues with women you REALLY need to work out.

Sgt Scyther wrote:People have to stop blaming Team Ninja for Samus' portrayal in Other M. Team Ninja just did the gameplay. The horrible story and portrayal of Samus was all Sakamoto.

Though then that supposed defense was brought under question when NG3 came and was given criticism for a LOT of things...including REALLY bad storytelling. Hmmmmm

Sylverstone14 wrote:

At this point it's just become boring and pathetic. If people wanna sulk about a GAME for two years then that's their business. I just wish they wouldn't do it in public and bother others with it.
Aiddon
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby redhatdrawler » 28 Dec 2012 16:48

I enjoyed other M. Loved the movie feature at the end, and I've seriously watched it a bunch of times. I think it's good, and Samus' narrative is just fine, because that's exactly what it is. A narrative. The same way Morgan Freeman reads narratives. And pretty much any narrative I've ever heard. Monotone and audible. So you can understand and imagine the situation yourself...

A movie though... Everyone has a different idea of what a Nintendo mascot does/is. Nintendo would be screwed no matter what if they make movies, just like their games, systems. People will like it, people
will love it(and be called blind fanboys), people will be content with it, people will not like it(and be called blind trolls), and people will hate it(most of which probably haven't even played/seen it).

Conclusion. Pretty much anything Nintendo related is damned if you do, damned if you don't.
redhatdrawler

Postby Autosaver » 28 Dec 2012 16:59

I found it incredibly ironic that KingBroly is admitting that he won't ever shut up about The Other M. The last time I called him out he was in denial and said he barely brought it up (despite bringing it up every thread about Metroid).

Hell, even GoNintendo members are noticing it. Funny enough that after KingBroly defended himself I got PMs saying that they were tired of him too so I was not alone.

Seriously Broly, I totally agree that it is becoming boring and pathetic. I'm also tired of anything Metroid related boiling down to people being incredibly annoyed.
Autosaver
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Autosaver

Postby OmicronTurtle » 28 Dec 2012 17:06

A Metroid Movie could easily have been done without have to go through boring back story.
Boring back stories are why all the firsts of these comic book movies are the worst.
And if they were to make a Metroid movie nowadays, exclude Other: M as a source of information, unless you cast Claire Danes, she plays a great weak female lead.
OmicronTurtle
Flicky
Flicky

XBL: OmicronTurtle

Postby ddddd » 28 Dec 2012 18:00

So it was their fault too that we got Other M? :angel:
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby tran4of3 » 28 Dec 2012 18:02

I don't find anything wrong with KingBroly bringing up Metroid Other M on a topic that's about movies and Metroid. Why are you telling him to not talk about something completely related to the topic?

I'd always thought a Metroid movie would work, but, I'm sure like everyone else, was very leery about any movie based on a videogame franchise doing anything but lowering the value of the franchise. Even hearing John Woo was involved didn't make me feel better about it. Reading this, though, I definitely wonder what could have been. David Greenwalt sounds like a great choice for writer, and some of the topics they brought up sound like they were really putting effort and thought into the story.

"What are they doing when they are NOT fighting? What is their daily existence and relationships? What are Samus's aspirations, history, and fears? Nintendo appreciated the questions, but had never thought about them before, and ultimately didn't have a lot of answers. In the end, they felt uncomfortable with our team being the ones to propose those answers"

And I kinda feel the same way as Nintendo - awesome that these guys brought up these questions, but would they handle them adequately? Samus being "flawed, seeking redemption" sounds problematic, since, why would she be seeking redemption? Were they going to start her off at fault of something major? There's a lot of ways it could go wrong, such as with Other M.

“We knew that a lot of the Metroid mythology had many similarities to other well-known science fiction franchises, so we had to try and propose some fresh ideas that Nintendo would approve. We also knew that the characters were originally developed many years ago, when game systems were limited in their graphics and animation. These same designs needed to be updated, particularly when seen as a live-action representation.”

I really think they had their heart in the right place now. I share their hope that someday the project could come back, and be put in the right hands. I'd love to be involved with something like that. to dream. And hmm - I wonder if there's a script of this movie existing out somewhere.
tran4of3
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: iancsamson

Postby Garlador » 28 Dec 2012 18:08

I'll jump to KingBroly's defense on this.

Metroid is not just "a game" to many people. "Metroid" was something that literally helped shape our love for video games. I got into video game design and development due in large part to Metroid and I've even kept applying to Retro Studios for the better part of a year now since graduation in the hopes of working there, due to my love of their Metroid Prime games.

My girlfriend and my closest friend (who is a girl) both adore Samus pre-Other M because she represented something sorely lacking in their favorite medium. She was a strong, self-reliant, independent girl who could solo a mission and get the job done without complaint or hesitation. She was a character who happened to BE female, but not a character whose gender was something that defined HER.

Other M was a catastrophe in that regard. Beyond betraying the spirit of the franchise's core gameplay elements (exploration, self-discovery, self-betterment), it betrayed the spirit of the strongest female character in gaming at that time, rendering her an utterly unlikable clod of unresolved emotional troubles, paralyzing daddy issues, and baffling stupidity. She is most certainly not the woman I single-handily destroyed entire planets with and wiped out entire alien civilizations as, and I confess it bothers me how people continue to claim she was a "blank slate" prior to Other M, which ignores the numerous ACTIONS she performed over the decades, and actions DO speak louder than words.

Ultimately, I, too, will be forever bothered by Other M, and I'm still vocal about that. But that's because Metroid Other M is the most recent game, the last impression we have of the once-illustrious series. Until a new game comes out to either fix Other M, ignore Other M, or suck worse than Other M, the game of Other M, and every glaringly annoying flaw that many fans feel crippled the series and its heroine, will remain a bitter point of contention.

As a game, it was barely mediocre. As a story, it was laughable. As a character, Samus was unbelievably off. As a Metroid? It's the worst thing to happen since Devil May Cry 2 or Final Fantasy XIV for Metroid fans.
Garlador
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Autosaver » 28 Dec 2012 18:23

I don't find anything wrong with KingBroly bringing up Metroid Other M on a topic that's about movies and Metroid. Why are you telling him to not talk about something completely related to the topic?

Nobody cares that Other M is brought up. The problem people have is that Broly attacks it every time Metroid comes up. It first was like "LOL Broly!" to "..Ugh, really?" Broly could have written that comment in an entirely different way and I assure you that people wouldn't have been as bothered by it.

And saying Other M and a movie are completely related is a big stretch. Especially when putting comments attacking the developers without adding to the discussion.

Again, it is really hard for people that don't see the constant problem to actually complain about it. I assure you there are countless others that are going "Huh? I don't get what is the big deal?" because they really don't follow up with the complaints. Even Broly admitted in this topic that he will be forever vocal about it.

In fact, when Broly does bring it up it often ends up becoming a hissy fight between fans. Most of the time people stop talking about the inital topic and start arguing about Other M.

We get it. There are portions of the Metroid fanbase that despise Other M. Do you need to cry about it every time something SOMEWHAT connected to it is brought up? Weird too because Broly somehow is the first person to comment on these stories, which means EVERYONE will see his comment.

TL;DR - People are frustrated, annoyed, and irritated by the constant Other M jabs by Broly and the GoNintendo community is finally coming together to call him out on it.

Edit: Since it happened constantly for months, I was so close to making a dub of all his comments. I was too nice to do that since if I did, I would have probably ruined his reputation. Then again, I could have used it every time someone defended Broly asking why people were so irritated.
Autosaver
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Autosaver

Postby ddddd » 28 Dec 2012 18:45

@Autosaver

Edit: Since it happened constantly for months, I was so close to making a dub of all his comments. I was too nice to do that since if I did, I would have probably ruined his reputation. Then again, I could have used it every time someone defended Broly asking why people were so irritated.

The internet hates Metroid Other M, making a compilation of trolling posts about it would only boost someone's popularity :lol:
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby Eternal Rain » 28 Dec 2012 19:24

You know, here's what's annoying me most about people like Broly constantly bitching about Other M: people like you seem to act like the majority of people around the internet hated it. Really that's not the case. Hell I'll even bring Metacritic into this, as of right now the game is sitting comfortably at a 79/100 score, one more high score and it would have been in an even more "favorable" 80/100 spot. My point? This, to me, signals that the MAJORITY opinion is that it was actually well liked, and it's really only a small, VERY vocal minority that won't just shut the hell up and let those of us who do like the game enjoy ourselves. Hell the game even has fans in people I wasn't expecting to like it (Egoraptor, who's made it clear he dislikes certain well liked games such as Ocarina of Time and Donkey Kong Country, has admitted a few times on Game Grumps that he does in fact enjoy Other M, if only for the gameplay and not really the story).

My point is, stop acting like you (the haters) speak for the majority of us, because you don't. I'll admit Other M wasn't perfect, sure, but I certainly do not hate it at all, heck I rank it above Metroid Prime 2 (now THAT'S a game you shouldn't get me started on, because I personally do not care for Prime 2 and it's overly tedious nature, because I can put up with wonky writing, but poor implementation of a major feature can really wreck a game for me [Link to the Past handled light world/dark world way better over a decade prior to Prime 2]).

To give another example, it's like anytime I go to a thread on a forum talking about electronic music and SOMEONE always has to say "o i hat skrilez" (misspelled on purpose if you can't tell). I get that there are people who dislike his music, but it's not like there's some overwhelming majority, really just a really vocal minority who won't shut up about it and won't let us who do enjoy it to just have our fun.

TL;DR version: I can understand why people don't like Other M, but you don't speak for the majority of us who played it, so quit acting like you do.
Eternal Rain
Boo
Boo

Postby Garlador » 28 Dec 2012 20:05

@Eternal Rain

You really can't bring Metacritic into this, especially given how that alone is a sample size of only a few people (critics). Even then, I would counter that a "79" would never be considered a "passing grade" at most institutions, while the actual user score is lower and checked as "mixed" reception. Even if that's the case, it's still the lowest-rated Metroid game ever created, on par with Metroid Pinball, in a series that often is listed in the most critically acclaimed games ever made, and Nintendo themselves admitted that sales of Other M did not meet their expectations, which is further disappointing if you consider it was the most expensive Metroid game to make with some of the lowest sales of the series.

But I think you're also entirely missing the point of the criticisms that KingBroly and others have, and I understand this too. This is not an example of hating something like Skrillex that you never liked... this is more akin to having something you really love mutate into something you loathe. I can relate, heavily, as I've watched my favorite survival horror games turn into mindless, scare-less action fests riddled with QTEs. I've watched a superhero I idolized as a child sell out his wife to the devil and betray his loved ones. I've seen franchises thrive and die as incompetence sets in, standards are lowered, and a new generation who never played the good games has no standard to compare against and thinks that a lot of things are "great" when there's an entire history of excellence they've never been exposed to.

The reception of Other M was mixed, and a vast number of people, an unacceptable number, felt it was flat-out BAD. Nintendo felt so as well. The sales weren't there. The reception wasn't there. The response wasn't what they wanted. Even those that love the game have to concede that there are major, fundamental problems with the game at its very core, and reception has not improved for the game. Those that hated it continue to do so more and more, and it's legacy is approaching that of the Star Wars prequels.

In fact, the Star Wars prequels are a good example. They, too, have mediocre-to-decent scores on Rotten Tomatoes, a fair share of defenders and fans, and many people genuinely like them, despite their flaws, but the general reception was that the series in George Lucas's hands lost its way, became embarrassing, lost what made it special in the first place, added in loads of style and bad acting and very little substance, and old fans became jaded and disappointed more and more and more with it. I've even read critics who liked the game at first change their minds on Other M after thinking on it over the months. It happens, where an original impression, and the flaws and plotholes and awful parts, don't really resonate until you reflect on it over time.

Like Final Fantasy 13 has its fans, that game was still not up to the usual standards. Like Devil May Cry 2, it wasn't what fans wanted. Like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, it may have made some money and had a mixed reception, but it's legacy has not been kind to it.

"Other M" is that to Metroid. Sorry if that bums you out and you like it, but, well, yes, many people, I'd even say a majority, walked away from Other M unimpressed, if not outright disappointed and angry at what happened. Nintendo themselves were disappointed, and I don't blame them. It had some good ideas, but it thoroughly botched the execution.

And, well, yeah... Other M even has the "Other M: The Movie" mode, so Nintendo made their movie... too bad it wasn't that great.
Garlador
Fairy
Fairy

Postby PatrickTheHuman » 28 Dec 2012 20:56

Sylverstone14 wrote:

Good job, Nintendo.

You weren't there, man. You weren't there!
PatrickTheHuman
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: PatrickTheHuman
3DS: 0259-0444-2571
PSN: Patthehuman
XBL: PatTheHuman64

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion