Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mor...

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mor...

Postby robometal cowboy » 29 May 2014 02:37

Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - more footage of 'sexy' Mario, official site open
Click Here to View Story

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic




Check out the official site here (thanks Magus!)
User avatar
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot
 
Posts: 54555
Joined: 13 Dec 2009 00:23

Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - more f

Postby nphan » 29 May 2014 03:02

Did Christopher Nolan influence the art direction for this mature Mario? I'm really getting a Dark Knight vibe from outfit. lol
nphan
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 06 Apr 2010 16:39

Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - more f

Postby mock turtle » 29 May 2014 03:46

This wasn't the gif I was looking for, but it'll do:

Image
Image
User avatar
mock turtle
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
 
Posts: 454
Joined: 09 Jun 2009 18:35
Location: Mississippi

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby Lokamp » 29 May 2014 04:06

I love all the GIFs posted by GoNintendo users, as musch as I love that SMB screenshot with that car. Amazing!
User avatar
Lokamp
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 07 Jul 2013 04:31

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby Nickius » 29 May 2014 04:15

Even though it's free, I really don't like this. I don't wanna see this stupid car in global online forever just cause of some stupid promotion.
User avatar
Nickius
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 19 Jan 2011 19:20

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby MasterofMonster » 29 May 2014 04:19

... I thought this was a joke at first.

Someone, explain to me what this is aboot, please~
Image
User avatar
MasterofMonster
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: 09 Jan 2011 15:44
Location: Sweden

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby Cassidy » 29 May 2014 04:30

Didn't Wave Race do something like this? Like, that game had advertisements and names to real people.
Image
Image
User avatar
Cassidy
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 148
Joined: 07 Apr 2012 14:39
NN ID: KingCassidy
3DS: 4854-6597-5917
Steam ID: Morbid Safety
XBL: ThisIsACassidy

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby NightsOwl » 29 May 2014 04:35

MasterofMonster wrote:... I thought this was a joke at first.

Someone, explain to me what this is aboot, please~

This please. :C
Rhythm Game fanatic. DJMax, Taiko no Tatsujin, DDR, Rockband, Guitar Hero, Rhythm Heaven, Beatmania, and Pop n' Music. Amazing.
NightsOwl
Flicky
Flicky
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 28 Apr 2012 09:39
Location: Altea
NN ID: Nights0wl
3DS: 0404-6041-2332

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby sdsichero » 29 May 2014 04:43

Very strange.

But I like it.
User avatar
sdsichero
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant
 
Posts: 204
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 00:02

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby CSP » 29 May 2014 04:44

blatant in game advertising, first EVER on a Nintendo game. Heck it is even advertising something that the majority of MK8 owners can not afford anyway WTF Nintendo?

pathetic...simply pathetic...
CSP
Flicky
Flicky
 
Posts: 54
Joined: 28 Oct 2009 10:47

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby MasterofMonster » 29 May 2014 04:49

@NightsOwl
Indeed!

@CSP
I... I see nothing pathethic about this. It's a neat, Free DLC car.
Image
User avatar
MasterofMonster
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: 09 Jan 2011 15:44
Location: Sweden

Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - more f

Postby FrenchFryGuy » 29 May 2014 05:44

Yeah, I don't really mind Nintendo licensing out their brands for advertisements, especially in their native country for promotional value to real-world products in things like commercials and what not, but having that stuff bleed over into their actual games I'm definitely not really ok with. This car doesn't belong in the world of Nintendo and Mario Kart specifically. I mean what's next. Mario rocking Doc Martens and Wrangler brand overalls in his next big starring game? C'mon Nintendo. Don't start down this path please.
Image"Cross me and i'll BURN you!"
User avatar
FrenchFryGuy
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee
 
Posts: 96
Joined: 17 Oct 2009 14:08
Location: mushroom kingdom

Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - more f

Postby Freeload » 29 May 2014 06:29

Seriously, WTF!
User avatar
Freeload
Flicky
Flicky
 
Posts: 67
Joined: 28 Jun 2007 12:30

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby krzysio87 » 29 May 2014 07:15

Ugh, I really don't want to see this in games I've paid for.
User avatar
krzysio87
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 15 Aug 2011 14:16
Location: Florida

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby Sisibakbak » 29 May 2014 08:25

CSP wrote:blatant in game advertising, first EVER on a Nintendo game. Heck it is even advertising something that the majority of MK8 owners can not afford anyway WTF Nintendo?

pathetic...simply pathetic...


Image

Image
Sisibakbak
Metool
Metool
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 02 Oct 2012 15:38

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby DeMatador » 29 May 2014 08:31

krzysio87 wrote:Ugh, I really don't want to see this in games I've paid for.


Then don't download the DLC. That is, even if it does release in America.
User avatar
DeMatador
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 10:01
Location: The End of the World (aka Argentina)

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby RacattackForce » 29 May 2014 08:33

Sisibakbak wrote:
CSP wrote:blatant in game advertising, first EVER on a Nintendo game. Heck it is even advertising something that the majority of MK8 owners can not afford anyway WTF Nintendo?

pathetic...simply pathetic...


Image

Image

Image
That said, however, the car does clash with design aesthetic of Mario Kart 8, especially when you consider just how polished that game is. Sticks out like a sore thumb instead of blending seamlessly. Well, at least it's free DLC, and DLC by its very nature isn't mandatory.
Image
User avatar
RacattackForce
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 15:53
Location: New York City
NN ID: RacattackForce
3DS: 1306-6175-9999
Steam ID: RacattackForce
Wii: 1974-0817-7256-3131

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby Sisibakbak » 29 May 2014 08:39

RacattackForce wrote:
Sisibakbak wrote:
CSP wrote:blatant in game advertising, first EVER on a Nintendo game. Heck it is even advertising something that the majority of MK8 owners can not afford anyway WTF Nintendo?

pathetic...simply pathetic...


Image

Image

Image
That said, however, the car does clash with design aesthetic of Mario Kart 8, especially when you consider just how polished that game is. Sticks out like a sore thumb instead of blending seamlessly. Well, at least it's free DLC, and DLC by its very nature isn't mandatory.


Image

And true, it is strange. The ads in Wave Race, Animal Crossing and Pikmin make sense but in this it is shoehorned on. I can't see a reason to get upset about it though, it's easy to ignore and there's no need to download it at all so you'll only see it when you play online and even then it'll be unobtrusive.
Last edited by Sisibakbak on 29 May 2014 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Sisibakbak
Metool
Metool
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 02 Oct 2012 15:38

Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - more f

Postby mock turtle » 29 May 2014 08:41

Image
User avatar
mock turtle
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
 
Posts: 454
Joined: 09 Jun 2009 18:35
Location: Mississippi

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby Sisibakbak » 29 May 2014 08:48

Sisibakbak
Metool
Metool
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 02 Oct 2012 15:38

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby krzysio87 » 29 May 2014 09:40

DeMatador wrote:
krzysio87 wrote:Ugh, I really don't want to see this in games I've paid for.


Then don't download the DLC. That is, even if it does release in America.

Thing is, with an online component, the DLC will eventually show up.
I am assuming that Nintendo will force an update with it as well; for compatibility with the people using it during online play.
User avatar
krzysio87
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 15 Aug 2011 14:16
Location: Florida

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby MasterofMonster » 29 May 2014 09:46

If you Think the game is ruined because a few people every now and then will use a DLC Kart online, then... I don't really get it. :/
Image
User avatar
MasterofMonster
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: 09 Jan 2011 15:44
Location: Sweden

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby Cheesus » 29 May 2014 09:47

@Sisibakbak
@RacattackForce

Image
Image
Red- Newcomers
Blue- Returning Fighters
User avatar
Cheesus
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 668
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 09:39
NN ID: Jessem5591
Steam ID: Jessem5591

Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - more f

Postby sexydaniboy » 29 May 2014 10:44

Wow. That happened.

You know, when they said they were gonna licence their characters more, I kinda didn't take into account they were gonna shill other companies with their games, but rather sell their franchises on things like movies and toys.

Not actually saying this is necessarily bad. Sexy Mario is pretty fucking metal.
User avatar
sexydaniboy
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 127
Joined: 16 Mar 2008 23:17

Re: Mercedes-Benz/Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 DLC promotion - mo

Postby shmuga9 » 29 May 2014 11:26

FrenchFryGuy wrote:Yeah, I don't really mind Nintendo licensing out their brands for advertisements, especially in their native country for promotional value to real-world products in things like commercials and what not, but having that stuff bleed over into their actual games I'm definitely not really ok with. This car doesn't belong in the world of Nintendo and Mario Kart specifically. I mean what's next. Mario rocking Doc Martens and Wrangler brand overalls in his next big starring game? C'mon Nintendo. Don't start down this path please.


I'm glad I'm not the only one on this. If it was another company people would say they're a sellout, but because it's "good ol' Nintendo" they get a free pass. Licenesing out your IP for movies, or TV, or merchandise is one thing, but this is just selling out.
shmuga9
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 01 Jun 2012 17:53

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users