5th Cell - No system-wide accomplishments system on Wii U

Get your discussion on with the blog stories. Moderation is less strict, but topics have short lives...quick!

Postby robometal cowboy » 11 Nov 2012 14:55

Click Here to View Story

This comes straight from Jackson over at 5th Cell...

There are no Wii U accomplishments that are system wide. They are up to the developers to include or not include. Scribblenauts Unlimited loosely has them in the form of "Global Starite Shards" which is like a giant checklist of global things to spawn and do in the game that aren't area specific.

There you go, now we know with 100% accuracy. No system-wide accomplishments on the system. Is that a deal breaker for you? Thanks to Dim for the heads up.

Link
robometal cowboy
Site Bot
Site Bot

Postby Battlestriker123 » 11 Nov 2012 14:56

But they'll still show up on Miiverse as in-game accomplishments, system-wide or not, yes? Whether or not it's system-wide doesn't seem to be an issue imo...
Last edited by Battlestriker123 on 11 Nov 2012 14:58, edited 2 times in total.
Favorite Game: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
Just Finished: Blackwell Deception (PC)
Now Playing: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS)
Follow me on MyIGN! http://people.ign.com/battlestriker123
Battlestriker123
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Battlestriker123
3DS: 3539-8800-5372
Steam ID: Battlestriker123

Re: 5th Cell - No system-wide accomplishments system on Wii

Postby Poopaloop » 11 Nov 2012 14:57

I kind of like that they're game-specific. It means that completionists still have something to work towards, but lazy developers can't make a sub-par product and then hope people buy it because they've put easy achievements in there, so as awful as it is it's good for a score boost.
A stupid drawing every day or your money back! Follow me on Twitter Facebook!
Poopaloop
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RType88
3DS: 1118-0334-6460
PSN: rhughes88

Postby Windsor » 11 Nov 2012 15:10

This is just fine with me. I'm not someone who believes that hallow "achievements" add to my game in the least. Seeing and hearing the achievements box has pulled me out of Halo 4 more freakin' times than I can count.

Great game, by the way, and I'm a Halo skeptic. I haven't enjoyed a Halo game since the first one on PC.
Last edited by Windsor on 11 Nov 2012 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
A faithful GoNintendo reader/comment leaver for three years!
Here's my Twitter page. If you stay far away no one would blame you.
https://twitter.com/WindsorNEH
Windsor
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: WindsorNH
3DS: 1075-0722-4693

Postby MarteenGreen » 11 Nov 2012 15:10

That's it... I'm canceling my pre-order.
MarteenGreen
Fairy
Fairy

Postby BudokaiGamer » 11 Nov 2012 15:14

Dang, I was really hoping for system wide. Oh well. As long as devs still do something like a check list then that will be cool. I just like having something to try and accomplish other than just story. I like the added difficulty. But if they show up in MiiVerse then that will be cool too!
I don't play on my Xbox anymore...and probably won't ever get an Xbox in the future...so yeah...
Hardly want my PS3 anymore also. Only reason I'm keeping it is just incase something comes out that looks good enough.
BudokaiGamer
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: BudokaiGamer
3DS: 3823-8520-4540
Steam ID: MC RainbowBrite
PSN: BudokaiGamer
XBL: KpC x Budokai

Postby t27duck » 11 Nov 2012 15:17

I do not understand why Nintendo won't implement this. Both competitors have them. They don't have to be required for EVERY game, but it would nice to have a unformed accomplishment system that any developer could hook into.

Just really sad on Nintendo's part.
I'm available, ladies!!!
t27duck
Keymaster
Keymaster

3DS: 068853513150
XBL: t527duck

Postby Windsor » 11 Nov 2012 15:23

t27duck wrote:I do not understand why Nintendo won't implement this. Both competitors have them. They don't have to be required for EVERY game, but it would nice to have a unformed accomplishment system that any developer could hook into.

Just really sad on Nintendo's part.

I don't see why "'the competitors do it' is a reason for Nintendo to. Any game developer can hook their own in-game achievements into Mii-verse for all to see. Why isn't that enough? Now developers don't have to waste time with a pointlessly mandatory system if they don't feel like it, or if it doesn't fit their game.
A faithful GoNintendo reader/comment leaver for three years!
Here's my Twitter page. If you stay far away no one would blame you.
https://twitter.com/WindsorNEH
Windsor
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: WindsorNH
3DS: 1075-0722-4693

Postby t27duck » 11 Nov 2012 15:30

I didn't say it had to be mandatory. But for developers it's very convenient to just have a standardized API to hook into (like Miiverse) that they can use if they wanted. That way all accomplishments would be uniformed across the system.
I'm available, ladies!!!
t27duck
Keymaster
Keymaster

3DS: 068853513150
XBL: t527duck

Postby Amputech » 11 Nov 2012 15:30

I really don't mind at all. Achievements are great but far from necessary to me. Trophies are just Sony's way of copying Microsoft and I don't think Nintendo wants to follow suit. Besides, posting a screenshot and comment is way cooler than someone looking at your achievement list and comparing it to their's IMO.
Last edited by Amputech on 11 Nov 2012 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Amputech
Goomba
Goomba

Postby nGen » 11 Nov 2012 15:30

If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft has patented the achievements system as it is. I don't know how Sony instituted the Trophies system without paying royalties to Microsoft, but I'd rather not have Nintendo paying its competition.
Any objections lady?
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Postby Wii_Jedi » 11 Nov 2012 15:47

The only achievement type thing I've ever cared about is how many hours I've amassed. If I 100% a game, it's for me.
Wii_Jedi
Goomba
Goomba

3DS: 4682-8460-2623

Postby metalpants » 11 Nov 2012 16:15

@Amputech

This.

You can post up whatever accomplishment you made in the game for everyone to see and try to surpass.

Not to mention, depending on the developer, Miiverse can be integrated into the game the way they showed in NSMBU so it's like a more open "achievement system" since you can leave behind a comment or doodle of what you did and it'll show in that area in other players' game.

Sounds a CRAP-TON more fun than just personal achievements IMO.

@MarteenGreen

I don't even...

You had a Wii U preordered for the achievement system? xD!! I hope you're being sarcastic...

Cause if you're not... I can use that preorder. So PM me :P (if you preordered online that is...).
(>٭□٭)> Wii U
metalpants
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Turner4590 » 11 Nov 2012 16:19

Good.
BUZ LITEBEAR TO THE RESCUE!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Turner459O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Turner4590
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: Turner
Wii: 8021-6233-5861-9536

Postby MarteenGreen » 11 Nov 2012 16:55

@metalpants

I was being very sarcastic haha.

It just would've been nice to have them system wide and open to whoever wanted to utilize them.

But MiiVerse makes up for it :)
MarteenGreen
Fairy
Fairy

Postby OmicronTurtle » 11 Nov 2012 16:59

Personally I dont' care about achievements on Xbox 360, but I do know that they can add replay value for people.

It can also add certain additional challenge to a game if for example, you have to complete a level without taking damage.
Sure you can do that without an achievement system, but then you don't have the proof for bragging rights :p

Achievements have become somewhat of a Standard in video games now. Xbox 360 has them, PS3 has them, Steam has them. And no matter what platform the game is played on, people can still discuss "did you get this or that achievement" even if it's someone with an Xbox talking with a Playstation gamer. And sometimes the name of the achievement can be quiet funny.
It's all fine that Nintendo does their own thing, but for things that are so simple and everyone else has it, just implement it and get over yourself.
OmicronTurtle
Chocobo
Chocobo

XBL: OmicronTurtle

Postby Tork110 » 11 Nov 2012 17:12

Why didn't Nintendo admit this up front? Because they hoped they could hide this as long as they could.

The Wii U is going to be the next GameCube.
Tork110
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: Tork_110
3DS: 0301-9908-3971

Postby LegendofSantiago » 11 Nov 2012 17:19

Tork110 wrote:Why didn't Nintendo admit this up front? Because they hoped they could hide this as long as they could.

The Wii U is going to be the next GameCube.

LegendofSantiago
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Sylverstone14 » 11 Nov 2012 17:20

I honestly don't care.
Sylverstone14
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: Sylverstone14
Steam ID: Sylverstone14

Postby Shaanyboi » 11 Nov 2012 17:22

That's pretty dumb... Not having the accomplishments be system-wide kinda misses the point.
Shaanyboi
Goomba
Goomba

XBL: Shaanyboi

Postby nGen » 11 Nov 2012 17:27

So to all the people who think that Nintendo should institute a console-wide achievements system, do you think that they should be paying Microsoft to use that patent? Because they do own it: http://www.google.com/patents/US20060122716.
Any objections lady?
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Postby Nez » 11 Nov 2012 18:28

That's hilariously stupid. I can't believe it. I don't care how many people don't care about this kind of stuff because there are those who do, and having it doesn't hurt anybody in any way so saying you don't like them so they shouldn't be in is a stupid thing to say. Why not just make it system wide and then let devs decide whether or not they want to make them then?

This is just ridiculous, and I'm usually pro-Nintendo, despite what ridiculous crap they pull, but at this point, with so many people caring about these little icons on their accounts or whatever, it wouldn't hurt to make them. This is just so stupid that my mind is literally blown. I swear, it looks like half the time they do stuff they just do about half of it so they can call it a day and go home from work.

Rant aside, this is really, really dumb on their part. They say they want "hardcore players" but then don't give them what a good number of them want. You know PSN between Vita and PS3? Ya, both have trophies that relate to the users PSN account. Oh what? Nintendo has a Nintendo Network that could work in the exact same way but they choose to just not have it for who knows what reason. Why does Nintendo want to let Sony get away with saying they have things between their console and handheld that Nintendo doesn't? They definitely shouldn't.

The biggest thing here is that it doesn't take a whole lot of work to get an system-wide accomplishment list going, especially after the Nintendo Network already exists, so why not just do it? Like I previously said, it doesn't hurt anybody. You don't care about accomplishments? Fine, whatever, just ignore it. And if that low number next to the accomplishment tab (or however they'd do it) does bother you, then guess what, you do care about it and if you didn't it wouldn't bug you. And for the people who do like them, they're right there for you to get on both Wii U and 3DS. Everyone is happy.

Honestly, I can't see them not adding it. It's so simple and would make a surprisingly large number of people (even if it shouldn't make or break anyone's decision to own the system, it probably does) happy and wouldn't make anyone unhappy (check the last paragraph if this somehow surprises you), so there's really 0, and I mean 0 reasons (other than some people have to work for a few hours, which is so negligible it equates to 0) that they not make them.

Remember back when the PS3 didn't have them? Sony added them. You know MGS4? Good game and what not, right? Ya, well it didn't come with Trophies, so Konami recently decided to add them to the game. It made people happy, and the game sold some extra copies to those crazy people who need Trophies in games.

And finally, multiplatform games. Let's say the new CoD is better on Wii U, which version would the guy who owns a Wii U and a PS3 buy? Some would buy the Wii U version because it's better, and others would buy the PS3 version because it has Trophies. Why not make it so that everyone simply buys the Wii U version because it's better? Having system-wide accomplishments would do that.

So much for rant aside, it got even bigger.

@nGen
Does Sony pay Microsoft for having Trophies?
Nez
Fairy
Fairy

Postby metalpants » 11 Nov 2012 18:55

MarteenGreen wrote:@metalpants

I was being very sarcastic haha.

It just would've been nice to have them system wide and open to whoever wanted to utilize them.

But MiiVerse makes up for it :)

Haha! I lol'd at first, but then I wasn't sure xD. Stupid internet...
(>٭□٭)> Wii U
metalpants
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Jaing » 11 Nov 2012 19:02

I'm really glad that Nintendo has opted not to "follow the crowd" and as usual gone its own way. I see no reason this will hurt them or us as Nintendo gamers either. Plus as a bonus, Nintendo doesn't feel that they can make sub-par games with easy accomplishments getting us to play for the easy score boost, basically just chasing a carrot on a stick. I feel as if Nintendo isn't trying to insult our intelligence.
Jaing
Fairy
Fairy

Postby metalpants » 11 Nov 2012 19:07

Nez wrote:That's hilariously stupid. I can't believe it. I don't care how many people don't care about this kind of stuff because there are those who do, and having it doesn't hurt anybody in any way so saying you don't like them so they shouldn't be in is a stupid thing to say. Why not just make it system wide and then let devs decide whether or not they want to make them then?

This is just ridiculous, and I'm usually pro-Nintendo, despite what ridiculous crap they pull, but at this point, with so many people caring about these little icons on their accounts or whatever, it wouldn't hurt to make them. This is just so stupid that my mind is literally blown. I swear, it looks like half the time they do stuff they just do about half of it so they can call it a day and go home from work.

Rant aside, this is really, really dumb on their part. They say they want "hardcore players" but then don't give them what a good number of them want. You know PSN between Vita and PS3? Ya, both have trophies that relate to the users PSN account. Oh what? Nintendo has a Nintendo Network that could work in the exact same way but they choose to just not have it for who knows what reason. Why does Nintendo want to let Sony get away with saying they have things between their console and handheld that Nintendo doesn't? They definitely shouldn't.

The biggest thing here is that it doesn't take a whole lot of work to get an system-wide accomplishment list going, especially after the Nintendo Network already exists, so why not just do it? Like I previously said, it doesn't hurt anybody. You don't care about accomplishments? Fine, whatever, just ignore it. And if that low number next to the accomplishment tab (or however they'd do it) does bother you, then guess what, you do care about it and if you didn't it wouldn't bug you. And for the people who do like them, they're right there for you to get on both Wii U and 3DS. Everyone is happy.

Honestly, I can't see them not adding it. It's so simple and would make a surprisingly large number of people (even if it shouldn't make or break anyone's decision to own the system, it probably does) happy and wouldn't make anyone unhappy (check the last paragraph if this somehow surprises you), so there's really 0, and I mean 0 reasons (other than some people have to work for a few hours, which is so negligible it equates to 0) that they not make them.

Remember back when the PS3 didn't have them? Sony added them. You know MGS4? Good game and what not, right? Ya, well it didn't come with Trophies, so Konami recently decided to add them to the game. It made people happy, and the game sold some extra copies to those crazy people who need Trophies in games.

And finally, multiplatform games. Let's say the new CoD is better on Wii U, which version would the guy who owns a Wii U and a PS3 buy? Some would buy the Wii U version because it's better, and others would buy the PS3 version because it has Trophies. Why not make it so that everyone simply buys the Wii U version because it's better? Having system-wide accomplishments would do that.

So much for rant aside, it got even bigger.

@nGen
Does Sony pay Microsoft for having Trophies?

Dude... the Wii U has Miiverse.

Miiverse gives you a profile within the system where you can post your own achievements (complete with screenshots, typed comments or doodles) for everyone to see. Heck, Nintendo has been saying for a while now that Miiverse will eventually be accessible through smartphones and any web enabled device. Which means that unlike the PS3/PS Vita combo, you can brag about what you did in the game ANYWHERE!

I think the potential provided by Miiverse is FAR GREATER than what a limited achievement system can do. Juss sayin'.

And that's without mentioning what Nintendo has shown with NSMBU. Any developer can implement that as part of the game. Which means that it's a different achievement system driven by the community AND the developer. The possibilities are ridiculous with Miiverse.

The only downside would be the rewards for certain accomplishments. Which either way the developer can implement if they like. It's definitely more open-ended.
(>٭□٭)> Wii U
metalpants
Goomba
Goomba

Next

Return to GoNintendo Blog Story Discussion