Goriginal Content

EoD - Smash Wii U!

Shantae review!

Fantasy Life review

EoD - Instagram fun

Xeodrifter diary #12

GN Podcast #479
 

Miyamoto helping Nintendo devs create Wii U games that are only possible via GamePad, to be shown at E3

Coming from a fan-translation of Iwata's investor Q&A...

Today I only spoke about Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers For Wii U in terms of Wii U software, however, at the E3 event to be held in June in Los Angeles we will discuss other software as well. Also, at that time, we will introduce multiple games that are designed to introduce players to the value of the Wii U Game Pad by demonstrating playstyles only possible because of it. These titles have been developed by internal teams under the guidance of Mr. Miyamoto (Board Member, General Manager of the Development Division). The software titles that we will show at E3, which make use of the Game Pad, will range from near complete titles to titles that are early in development, but will demonstrate the titles' core appeals. We are preparing multiple software like this for the show.

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
36 total comments (View all)
User avatar
10 May 2014 07:40

RacattackForce wrote:
Shaanyboi wrote:
Sonicb00m111 wrote:Only part of this that gets me excited is the fact that Miyamoto is overlooking these games. Cause Miyamoto don't settle for crap. My expectations are suddenly higher.

He made WiiMusic

Wii Music was a bit lame, but I don't think that game is really as awful as everyone says it is.


No it's not.

On topic, that's good news! Let's hope for the best ^^

I can't help but think that now is the time for a Nintendo all stars MOBA compatible with NFC figurines. Ka-ching.
User avatar
10 May 2014 08:10

Wii Music wasn't awful. It was just disappointing. The whole game could have been salvaged/made way better, but simply having a more advanced Mario Paint style music creation mode. That is what I was fully expecting from it, and why I was excited to rent it and check it out. What it wound up being, was a neat game for kids, to introduce them to music. But not much else.

I wouldn't expect all of these games to be "game changers". But more games coming to Wii U is ALWAYS a good thing.
User avatar
10 May 2014 08:12

Sonicb00m111 wrote:Only part of this that gets me excited is the fact that Miyamoto is overlooking these games. Cause Miyamoto don't settle for crap. My expectations are suddenly higher.


I'm sorry, but I am worried, because apparently it was because of him that Paper Mario Sticker Star took the terrible direction it did.
User avatar
10 May 2014 08:36

Radiant wrote:
Sonicb00m111 wrote:Only part of this that gets me excited is the fact that Miyamoto is overlooking these games. Cause Miyamoto don't settle for crap. My expectations are suddenly higher.


I'm sorry, but I am worried, because apparently it was because of him that Paper Mario Sticker Star took the terrible direction it did.


Well... No one has a perfect track record and also Miyamoto is very traditional game developer who still believes there's no need for a deep story in a game.

Also seeing in his Wikipedia gameography I don't see a credit for him for that game, I've seen the interview but it seems it was only a light input on his part.
User avatar
10 May 2014 09:04

Miyamoto is one of the greatest developers of all time. Some of my greatest gaming experiences came from his ideas. Sadly, much like most creative people, it's easy to fall down on your success and coast along.

I'll hold my tongue until E3 has come and gone, but Iwata saying that specific gamepad games are coming, I'm really just expecting more Nintendoland style stuff. Nothing really innovative or ground breaking, but we'll see?
User avatar
10 May 2014 09:09

Gamesnotoveryet wrote:Miyamoto is one of the greatest developers of all time. Some of my greatest gaming experiences came from his ideas. Sadly, much like most creative people, it's easy to fall down on your success and coast along.

I'll hold my tongue until E3 has come and gone, but Iwata saying that specific gamepad games are coming, I'm really just expecting more Nintendoland style stuff. Nothing really innovative or ground breaking, but we'll see?


What'll be groundbreaking game wise?

Because that's the thing, if you're expecting a narrative driven experience you're not likely get it from Miyamoto. But I still believe he could be able to pull a creative game world if he wants to.
User avatar
10 May 2014 09:34

Vonter wrote:
Gamesnotoveryet wrote:Miyamoto is one of the greatest developers of all time. Some of my greatest gaming experiences came from his ideas. Sadly, much like most creative people, it's easy to fall down on your success and coast along.

I'll hold my tongue until E3 has come and gone, but Iwata saying that specific gamepad games are coming, I'm really just expecting more Nintendoland style stuff. Nothing really innovative or ground breaking, but we'll see?


What'll be groundbreaking game wise?

Because that's the thing, if you're expecting a narrative driven experience you're not likely get it from Miyamoto. But I still believe he could be able to pull a creative game world if he wants to.


One of my favorite Miyamoto games is Donkey Kong, and I still play it on a regular basis, so gameplay is key, as I gave up a long time ago ever getting any kind of meaningful story from "N". I just don't want to see gimmicks for gimmicks sake. I love Skyward Sword more than most, but certain aspects to that game that involved motion controls brought that title down in my eyes.

Putting the tablet on the floor, and then swinging the Wiimote over it to simulate a golf experience is what I don't want or need. I'm just hoping this isn't the majority of what we see.
User avatar
10 May 2014 10:10

what I don't understand is why was this not a priority from the launch of the system? To this day only 2 WiiU games use the gamepad in an awesome way, ZombieU and Wonderful 101...2 damn games since the launch of this system in 2012. SMH
User avatar
10 May 2014 10:13

I hope there at least one game per month until Smash Bros.
User avatar
10 May 2014 10:18

bitboi wrote:what I don't understand is why was this not a priority from the launch of the system? To this day only 2 WiiU games use the gamepad in an awesome way, ZombieU and Wonderful 101...2 damn games since the launch of this system in 2012. SMH


Core experiences take long to make, and I assume you don't want them rushed. I also see the gamepad having potential on local multiplayer experiences and co-op.
User avatar
10 May 2014 10:20

I'm sure they can do some really neat things with the GamePad on a Metroid Prime.

Scanning, for example. And make it a neat visor-thing. And it could be used in a lot of awesome ways with the Morph Ball~
User avatar
10 May 2014 12:05

Gamesnotoveryet wrote:. I love Skyward Sword more than most, but certain aspects to that game that involved motion controls brought that title down in my eyes.


Your lack of skill isn't the games fault.... Skillful players can adapt to any play style. Not everyone sucks at games. Some people enjoy new experiences far more than the same old twin stick 3rd person games that has been flogged to death over the last 20 years. Regular controls would have sealed SS as the worst Zelda ever made. The unique control scheme will always make it a stand out Zelda title as the very best gameplay Zelda has ever seen.

Nothing in Skyward Sword was shoe horned in, it was made from ground up with motion controls in mind it was executed perfectly. Skyward Sword only really suffered because how linear it was and bland the story was compared to games like WW and OOT.

Sadly that's Wonderful 101's biggest problem. Most gamers want every game to play exactly like another game they liked. And when it's not they say things like "it's too hard" or "the controls hindered it from being a masterpiece". What they are really saying is "I suck at video games and are unable to adapt to this new, unique control system and instead of learning it, I will just take it out on the game itself"

If a 3rd person game doesn't control exactly like every 3rd person game does it's immediately flogged. If a first person game doesn't play just like cod it gets flogged. Gamers are just extremely resistant to change for the most part. They think gaming will remain button pressing forever, so when a company innovates a new way to play, they immediately start the hate machine because it's different.... We were seeing the same thing regarding Occulus, up until Sony announced their own subpar VR unit and now those same people who flogged OR as "I'm not wearing that on my head, ever!" to "OMG Sony, all over my face"

Gaming will constantly evolve, it will not remain a medium staring at a TV screen and pressing buttons like a monkey. With VR poised to take off, it will bring motion control right along with it as it will fit perfectly and feel natural with controlling a character in VR space.... Pressing buttons on a controller in VR will pale in comparison to motion controls in VR (wow what a tangent)
User avatar
10 May 2014 12:18

Well, E3 will show what all is in store. I'm expecting E3 to be a lot better this year then it was last year.
User avatar
10 May 2014 12:18

bitboi wrote:what I don't understand is why was this not a priority from the launch of the system? To this day only 2 WiiU games use the gamepad in an awesome way, ZombieU and Wonderful 101...2 damn games since the launch of this system in 2012. SMH


Uhh, Pikmin 3? It was executed perfectly.... Pikmin 3 proved the usability of the gamepad in RTS games. Being able to multitask multiple units at the same time was almost a spiritual awakening. Take a look at some of the speed runs online to see how much more efficient it made the genre. And I thought I was good at multitasking. I thought I was proud of all my platinum medals until I look at the top scores. Mind boggling.

RTS concept was justified on the gamepad with Pikmin3. Fire Emblem if leveraged correctly can just kill it in the strategy genre and make some major waves. That will drag a lot of PC gamers kicking and screaming to buy a Wii U.

Wind Wakers use of the gamepad wasn't revolutionary, but it made the game so much more convenient. Being able to change weapons in boss fights on the fly without pausing to break up the fluidity of the gameplay was sublime IMO. I loved the gyro controls for the bow/arrow and sling shot, I'm getting quite good at gyro aiming now.

What I want to see is the RPG/MMO genre get its proof of concept next.. I think X is the perfect game to deliver it. Setting up macros with icons on the gamepad would be ideal so I can just tap my attacks so I don't have to use the stick to scroll left or right for my next attack.... Or jumping into a mech moves the action from the TV to the small screen like peeking out of a windshield of the mech. There is a ton of things Nintendo can do with this game utilizing. The gamepad. Even gyro controls for the mech would be fun.

Why are people expecting Nintendo revolutionize gaming every single generation like they did with Wiimote? Just improving the gaming experience justifies the gamepad's existence. It feels weird playing my brothers PS3 or 360 without being able to move the game to the gamepad and play my game on the balcony or on the throne. Nintendo finally made the console I wished for back in the 80's.
User avatar
10 May 2014 12:26

I'm trying to remain optimistic about this but all I can foresee is this being a collection of mini games and gimmicks rather than fully fledged games with fun mechanics. I hope I'm wrong, but I can just see Nintendo trying to bring back the blue ocean crowd rather than focusing on making new games for the core Nintendo fan who they really need to be wooing right now.

Mario Kart, Smash Bros, X and Bayo 2 coming out this year is a good start, but it needs to announce at E3 more titles that excite the fan base rather than chasing the casual market that have largely moved to mobile/tablet.
User avatar
10 May 2014 13:09

Hmmmm I'm sensing another round of multiple tech demo-like games that they will call Nintendo Land 2
User avatar
10 May 2014 13:28

element187 wrote: Fire Emblem if leveraged correctly can just kill it in the strategy genre and make some major waves. That will drag a lot of PC gamers kicking and screaming to buy a Wii U.


I agre with most things you say and especially with this.The U imo has a lot of potential towards PC gamers.
The gamepad could be used in genres and for gameplay ideas that appeal to this demographic in particular.

Speaking of which, there is this kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... up-dungeon
It will be released on PC so it won't drag PC gamers but the U version will be a good example of how great this sort of typical PC gameplay can be transfered, and enriched, on the U.

shadowbuster wrote:Hmmmm I'm sensing another round of multiple tech demo-like games that they will call Nintendo Land 2


Well good because the arcade awesome that is Nintendo Land was absolutely not a bunch of demos.
Even if we disagree on this, I doubt Nintendo would do this again anyway.
No Avatar
10 May 2014 14:30

Oh good, only showing them two years too late. Nintendo had from E3 2011 to get cracking on these experiences "only possible on the Gamepad". I'm still not sure I've played a Wii U game that is the equivalent of Wii Sports, and maybe that's because the Wii U gamepad isn't as well conceived as the Wii Remote.

Hopefully this software can prove otherwise, and hopefully, Nintendo will start marketing the Wii U better.
User avatar
10 May 2014 15:38

Pretty sure NintendoLand used the GamePad a lot and did plenty of things you couldn't do without it.

Awesome game, btw.
No Avatar
10 May 2014 15:56

Now that we are talking about tech demos...what about the remaining sports in Wii Sports Club? Do anyone else still think they are coming? I suppose the entire lineup of Resort is out of the question, but I thought Box and Baseball were pretty much confirmed.
No Avatar
10 May 2014 17:05

MasterofMonster wrote:Pretty sure NintendoLand used the GamePad a lot and did plenty of things you couldn't do without it.

Awesome game, btw.


I think Nintendoland is pretty great, but it's really not the same kind of intuitive or accessible title that Wii Sports was.
User avatar
10 May 2014 17:18

Wii Music was good for the audience it was made for. It's not crap because you aren't the audience.

E3 is going to be killer for Wii U. After this and Mario Kart, gonna be a lot of crow going round in the industry.

Let's also not forget the party games that use the gamepad in an awesome way, Nintendoland, Game and Wario, Party U. Also forgetting about Deus Ex as well as the RTS of Pikmin 3. There are also plenty of games that use it well for different things, doesn't always have to be mind blowing. Yes there needs to be more, clearly there is about to be, but it's not smart saying there are only 2 games that use the gamepad well.

Also, I haven't played Splinter Cell yet, but the things it does with the pad seemed pretty awesome. Rayman Legends is considered the best version on Wii U because of the pad.

:|
User avatar
10 May 2014 19:00

thorn-rock wrote:I agre with most things you say and especially with this.The U imo has a lot of potential towards PC gamers.
The gamepad could be used in genres and for gameplay ideas that appeal to this demographic in particular.

Speaking of which, there is this kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... up-dungeon
It will be released on PC so it won't drag PC gamers but the U version will be a good example of how great this sort of typical PC gameplay can be transfered, and enriched, on the U.


Pop up Dungeon is the type of game, if done right, that could prove the gamepad can make PC only games possible on Wii U.... Reminds me of fire emblem a little bit

Other types of PC games would work too.The biggest reason a game like WoW never made the leap to consoles is because of the controls. There is not enough buttons on a standard controllers to pull off 12 spells in succession like you can do on a mouse / keyboard... The gamepad would bridge that gap and make former PC only games possible on a console for the first time.... But Nintendo needs to show how the gamepad can do it. Or maybe an indie might be able to (Festival of Magic?)

So here's hoping these games aren't mostly mini game collections.
User avatar
11 May 2014 00:35

Good to hear, but I feel like, "Multiple games" will mean 2.
User avatar
11 May 2014 08:53

XCWarrior wrote:Good to hear, but I feel like, "Multiple games" will mean 2.


So cynical :lol:

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way