- story revolves around strong earthquakes and mysterious roaring in Etria
- story is based off the first Etrian Odyssey, with this game acting as a remake
- the protagonist (voiced by Kousuke Toriumi) is a spear-wielder from the Highlander clan
- the protagonist is asked by the government of Etria to investigate and explore the ruins
- three other companions meet him on his investigation
- together they go as far as the World Tree, which seems to have a deep connection to the ruins.
- they meet Frederica Irving (voiced by Maria Ise), a girl who lost her memories
- she is a kind-spirited girl, but is wary of others, possibly because of her amnesia.
Simon York (voiced by Daisuke Ono): The leader of the investigation party sent by the “Mizugaruzu” Library. He’s very smart and knows a lot about ancient civilizations and labyrinth monsters. He’s also a medic and can calmly aid his companions no matter the circumstance.
Arthur Charles (voiced by Toshiyuki Toyonaga): A member of the investigation party. As an alchemist, he is good at elemental attacks. He doesn’t think too hard about anything, so he sometimes talks big. Though, he has a tremendous amount of faith in Simon.
Lacuna Sheldon (voiced by Shizuka Ito): A baladine and woman at the vanguard of the investigation party. She’s from a noble family, but has an open and modest personality. She has a strong sense of justice and plenty of common sense, but loses her head when it comes to good food.
- each character will have the potential to learn various skills depending on their class
- skill points are limited
- when you change classes, you’ll keep the same appearance and stats, but acquire the skills of another job
- get missions from the Etria government
- also obtain necessary information and equipment
- visit various shops to prepare for your journey
- if you have a mission or quest you can report on, their notification marker will appear on the right side of the screen
- during event scenes, each party member will have multiple portrait pictures with many expressions
- map icons are essentially the same as Etrian Odyssey IV
- skill tree is horizontal, but there are no “Novice” or “Veteran” descriptors
- director Shigeo Komori says there are people who think the series needed some new energy
“The fun of the RPG was left just as it was, but since we’ve strengthened the story and characterization, this game will make it all the more easier to enjoy the true essence of the RPG.”
- main staff revealed
Director: Shigeo Komori
Character Design: Yuji Himukai
Monster Design: Shin Nagasawa
Music: Yuzo Koshiro