The following info comes from an IGN interview with producer Masahiro Sakurai.
- the two versions might find themselves completed at different dates
- the 3DS is facing some challenges
- for 3DS, they're struggling with how to accommodate characters that incorporate more than one fighter, such as the Ice Climbers
- official game titles are Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- no plans for DLC at this time
"At the current time we have no plans. I consider my job at this point, and my main responsibility, to make the Wii U and 3DS versions the best and the fullest experience possible. That said, once finished, it's the type of thing we could take into consideration, but for now, you could consider DLC as not being in the cards."