RUMOR - Remaining Smash Bros. amiibo delayed, will launch alongside Switch port of Smash Bros. Wii U

This info comes from a pair of sources who have supplied Switch information prior to the official reveal.

- Bayonetta and Cloud Amiibo are being held back
- they are now set to launch alongside an upcoming Switch port of Smash Bros. Wii U
- the port will not be a launch day release for the Switch
- the goal is to release in the first six months after the Switch hits shelves
- port will contain all DLC from the Wii U version of the game

Thanks to Nintendo2kop for the heads up!

Comments

Hmm. I wonder if the Switch port will have GameCube controller support. You know hardcore Smash players are gonna want that. If there's a couple of USB ports on the Switch (or its dock) I don't see why the GameCube adapter couldn't work.

The switch has at least two usb ports (you can see them in the trailer)

So is the port going to be called Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch™?

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U™ for Nintendo Switch™

Yup.

cgsasuke
Wed Nov 09 16 06:07am

Knew this was going to happen. My take was that Bay 3 & FF15 will be shown along with those Amiibos to drive sales to them. "The goal is to release in the first six months after the Switch hits" this also lines up wth FF15 play it on PS4 first, so that is enough time frame for Square to be working with a Switch port & release it down the road with Cloud amiibo. So you will have 2 games launching close by that will advertise Cloud Amiibo to drive sales to both of them.

I will kill for Bayonetta 3, I hope you're right.

cgsasuke
Wed Nov 09 16 06:19am

Indeed, the way I see it is they have a bunch of Amiibo for Smash Wii U already to support the game as is. So releasing Bay Amiibo now will sell well but Smash on Wii U already has done its magic selling the Wii U & releasing Bay Amiibo now won't help sell the Wii U that much. So what you do is hold off on her & release her along side her newer game to help sell the Switch more.

I'd honestly really like a Smash "Ultimate" version that included the 3DS stages, a few new characters and a revamped single-player mode. That's all I need.

Yeah, I think building a Smash game from the ground up is entirely pointless at this moment... just port the excellent Wii U foundation, increase the content, give us Ice Climbers and Simon Belmont, and take my $60.

If this is true, I personaly don't want new characters but I'd love to see more stages and the 3ds exclusive stages.

Also a proper adventure mode ? Subspace 2 ?

What about Corrin? And it's not really a nice way to treat current owners of the game.

Not being a launch title seems like a missed opportunity.

lokamp
Wed Nov 09 16 08:05am

Also in my totally-legit rumor: Super Switch Bros will be the game, and will bring up the full roster from the other games as base roster with such iconic DLC characters as the Ice Climbers, Wolf, Mr. Owl and Pepsi-man.

ORDER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

So, the popular Wii U games end up being just full-priced betas for Switch games? I know I feel like a valued customer.

Also, re-releasing? I know Nintendo did that with Pikmin & Metroid Prime on Wii but that was for the motion control. This sounds more just a straight up ps3/xb2 -> ps4/xb3 lazy money grab.

sisibakbak
Wed Nov 09 16 09:37am
Rating: 1 (Updated 1 time)

I get you, but I wouldn't see these releases as a lazy cash grab. There's a huge audience of people that would have liked to have played games like Splatoon, Smash and MK8 but didn't see enough value in the Wii U outside of a few games to justify getting one. That's a lot of lost revenue that those games deserved. This way, they can get quality games on Switch quickly and build up a good reason for people to buy into it. Sure, it's a bit of a shame for those of us who've been playing these for years but if they help avoid another Wii U situation I'm all for it. Even better would be if this and MK8 become platform swhere they just release new content regularly. They're both really solid foundations and I'm not sure we really actually need brand new iterations at so soon.

Well, of course re-releases are used to pad release schedules. "Hey, we don't have any new games but here's an old game with perhaps a new mission tacked on."

Hence, Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection, BioShock: The Collection, Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition, Darksiders: Warmastered Edition, Dead Island: Definitive Collection, Dishonored: Definitive Edition, DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition, God of War III Remastered, Grand Theft Auto V, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Heavy Rain & Beyond: Two Souls Collection, Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition, The Last of Us Remastered, LEGO Harry Potter Collection, Metro Redux, Saints Row IV: Re-elected, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, Skyrim Special Edition, The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, and now I'm bored, so this much of a list will have to suffice.

Of course, this being Nintendo, unlike most of the games mentioned above, we can fully expect them to release at full "new game" MSRP, then stay there forever.

If re-releasing games lots of people generally liked and lots of people generally played is considered a lazy cash grab (because it is), then re-releasing games lots of people generally liked but few people generally played is...still a lazy cash grab. We can agree to not use the phrase "lazy cash grab" but that doesn't mean it isn't. :D

You know why you just said that? Three horrible letters...DLC.

IF Nintendo hadn't been so greedy the first time and just SOLD TWO COMPLETE GAMES, people would be super-excited to see what new MK and new SSB games would be like on a brand new system.

MKW came out April '08, MK7 came out in Dec '11. MK8 partially came out May '14, and they finally bothered to finish it April '15. Being about 3 years between releases, we should've been due for another in '17 but as you say, it feels too soon.

Oh, well, Nintendo can have the last laugh by re-releasing the games again and charging full price again.

Now people can blame this on the new president.

Will this mean it'll have both the console and handheld content being that it's technically both?

It's hilarious how people feel betrayed at this point. Can't you see people? we're the minority, we're just lab rats in the eyes of Nintendo. They wouldn't waste all of their programming on games that barely sold any copies or were successful on a very small installbase, they want to bring those games to the masses, even if it costs betraying most of the early adopters... Who cares if the 2 or 3 million people who bought Splatoon feel bad, when there are around 7 million people who can be pleased by a por of a game they haven't even heard of. It works like that.

"Cloud and Bayonetta"

So, Corrin is not coming out anymore?

Let's hope Corrin doesn't even return in the port. Haha! Too many gawt dang Fram Blam characters!!

Hate that I will probably end up buying Smash 4 AGAIN but I hope they have future DLC planned as well. Because if we don't get a new Smash on Switch and this port is all we get as I'll be disappointed. I've played so much Smash 4 that it's starting to grow boring. I'm not just talking about new characters and stages (while that will be cool) we need new modes. Like a single player adventure style mode or something. Straight smash can only be so fun for so long.

I'm with you. The game got boring real quick. Really need to do something more interesting than just adding characters.

I was hoping for it to be a graphically updated and extended port of the Wii U version, with all the 3ds exclusive stages, modes, and trophies being implemented into the game in a remade HD format. I also hope this has cross save compatibility with the Wii U version, because I'll be irritated if I have to go through completing all the challenges again. It took me more than 2 years to beat most of the challenges that required the level 9 difficulty in Classic Mode.

fred duck
Thu Nov 10 16 11:41pm

I had the same dream as you, once upon a time. "Wouldn't it be grand if you could beat say, Resident Evil on PSX and then be able to transfer progress that to any other version?" Ah...that would be nice.

It's totally doable, too. All they'd have to do is come up with passcodes.

Unfortunately...You can probably count on one hand the number of games in the history of video gaming that let you take a save from the original version of a game to a completely different "remaster/remake/moneygrab/whateveryourpreferrednameis" version. Imagine if you put 140 hours into DQVIII on PS2. Do you think SE cares, now that the 3DS version is here?

Nintendo built in all those stupidly long and/or hard challenges to waste your time and make you feel like you were accomplishing something, kind of like all the garbage glued onto Hyrule Warriors to pretend it doesn't have a pathetically brief story mode and minuscule roster. Or, achiephies on the other two systems.

We have to remember that this is Nintendo. They deliberately made it so virtually all 3DS games ONLY SAVE TO THEIR CARTS and not the system's SD card. (There have been a few rare exceptions lately, however.) If you rent the digital version off eShop, you can have a one-way data transfer from cart to system. This is despite the fact that every other (optical media-based) system doesn't worry about people trading/lending/reselling games. How's that for customer friendly?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Wii U saves are LOCKED to a particular format so if your system is sent in for repairs and comes back wiped, your external drive MUST be reformatted, rendering any attempt at backing Wii U data up an exercise in futility. Nintendo simply does not respect how much time and effort players put into their games.

Nintendo can still find a way. They could introduce a save back up storage system similar to Xbox Live's Cloud storage, or the PSN Storage. It would allow us to store save data, in case our consoles ever get stolen or broken. We'd have a way to retrieve our games back, complete with all the hours we put into it. Sony uses this to their advantage in many games across PS3, PS4, and PS Vita. Nintendo needs to quit making things so difficult, and finally accept how much the hours we spent on their games mean to us, and how we do not want to start everything over again. I was so relieved when I finally 100% completed SSB for Wii U, it was frustrating, and head aching for me to complete it, but once I completed it, I was free to enjoy the game as I pleased. I didn't have to worry about working so hard to get a certain trophy, or some other hidden unlockable. I was able to freely play the game with everything unlocked.

Nintendo should encourage players to have a reason to rebuy a game they have for another console, and they won't do that if they don't respect the players' hard work for all they went through in the game. Nintendo has no excuse for not doing this, especially now since they have a fully restructured online account system with My Nintendo. Back then, Nintendo did not have a personal network account system, they just had the Club Nintendo reward program. Nintendo finally restructured Club Nintendo to also be an account for our activities on the Nintendo eShops. Nintendo should have finally given players the freedom of managing our game saves, but no, Nintendo still expects us to re buy everything we want, if we want it on another console.

I am so sick of having to rebuy games I've had on Wii, just to play them on Wii U or 3ds. If we had to rebuy them once, and they'd be playable on both Wii U and 3ds, that would be better, but no, if we want to play SMB1 on Wii U or 3ds, we have to buy them both 2 times, instead of one time. Nintendo expects players to buy a game 3 times, just to play the same game across 3 separate consoles, and they don't let us copy our save datas over either, which is a bad business strategy.

fred duck
Tue Nov 15 16 11:29am

Spongicx said:
I was able to freely play the game with everything unlocked.

Unfortunately, that's only as long as that particular Wii U has no issues. NINTENDO designed it so there's no way to transfer Wii U saves unless both systems are functional.

Spongicx said:

If you're sick of it, don't do it. Then, tell Nintendo why you didn't re-re-re-buy the game. If enough people tell them then maybe they'll get the message. If people don't buy AND don't tell, they'll just assume "there's no demand for X" as opposed to "there's no demand for X served this way." As it is, too many morons just shrug, pony up the absurd $5-$10 rental fee for decades-old games over and over.

Spongicx said:

No, it's brilliant business strategy because too many stupid people just do it. They rake in the dough. Why sell a multiplatform license for a reasonable 99¢ when you can offer $5 rentals x3? They make 15x the money. Screw the fan base.

Really, that plus the "your saves are locked to a particular format of the Wii U" is more like "screw the customers."

Spongicx said:
Nintendo can still find a way.

Hope springs eternal. However, online-only backup solutions will only last as long as the servers do. "The cloud" is a false panacea.

1) My PSX died. I got a new (used) one, and stuck my disc, cords, and memory card in, then continued.

2) My Wii U died after I sent it to Nintendo for repairs. I lost all my save data. They didn't bother to phone or e-mail me with this news, just ticked a box on a slip of paper. When I phoned to complain about losing HUNDREDS of hours of gameplay, losing the Rayman demo (which was cool because you could play that awesome music stage any time!), and losing the exclusive Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper costumes, the second tier service rep just shrugged their shoulders but I refused to hang up until they finally coughed up $10 eShop credit. Wow, that's insulting. My Wii U completely died two weeks after Nintendo supposedly repaired it and the second repair replaced the system's guts. Not to mention that I lost four weeks sending it back and forth. $10. Of course, it cost Nintendo NOTHING because I didn't use it. Why would I? For what?

So, of these two situations, which one is better?