Did you know? Pokémon Day happens every year on February 27 because that’s when the first Pokémon video games were launched in Japan in 1996! In celebration of #PokemonDay, we invite you to take part in a very special event.
What’s more, Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution will be arriving on Netflix on February 27! To commemorate this special movie release, Armored Mewtwo will be returning to Pokémon GO, accompanied by some of the Clone Pokémon seen in the movie!
Pokémon Day celebration event
Date + Time
Tuesday, February 25, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, March 2, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)
- Some Pokémon are here to party! Keep a lookout for Pikachu and Eevee wearing party hats appearing in the wild. Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle sporting the same festive look will be hatching from 7 km Eggs. There’s a chance that any of these partying Pokémon could be Shiny, too!
- Armored Mewtwo strikes back in five-star raids! Not only is Armored Mewtwo in Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution, but it will be returning to raids as well with the special Charged Attack Psystrike.
- Remember Clone Pokémon? Well, some are coming to Pokémon GO! In celebration of the Pokémon Day launch of Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution on Netflix, special Clone Pokémon—including Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise—will appear in four-star raids. Be sure to use #GOsnapshot during the event, too—Clone Pikachu might appear in your photo, and you might be able to catch it!
- Trainers will be able to do up to two special trades a day. For more information on what a special trade is, please see this help center article.
Raid Day featuring Nidorino and Gengar wearing party hats!
Date + Time
Sunday, March 1, 2020, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time
- Nidorino wearing party hats will be appearing in two-star raids.
- Gengar that know Lick and Psychic and are wearing party hats will be appearing in four-star raids.
- If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Nidorino or a Shiny Gengar wearing a party hat!
- You can receive up to five Raid Passes at no cost during the event by spinning Photo Discs at Gyms. You cannot hold more than one of these Raid Passes at once, and they will not be available after the event ends.
Get ready to GO and celebrate Pokémon together! Thanks for being a part of this journey with us! We’re excited to see what comes next in the following year.
—The Pokémon GO team