– SEGA is proud to announce that Puyo Puyo™ Tetris® 2, sequel to the beloved crossover of two iconic puzzle series, is receiving the first of its free, post-launch content updates today on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch!
To further light up the colourful puzzle play, players can look forward to a host of new characters, a fresh new game mode, four new BGM tracks, and 20 new avatars, all detailed below! All this new content will be available to players immediately after they download and install the new update.
- Four new playable characters to join you on your journey: legendary speedster Sonic the Hedgehog, Lidelle, Ms. Accord and The Ocean Prince, each with their own skills you can utilize in Skill Battle mode
- New online game mode Boss Raid has you working together with your friends to take down a common foe in co-operative fun
- Four new BGM (Background Music) tracks including the Sonic the Hedgehog theme song for ultimate immersion as you play
- 20 new Avatars featuring even more of your favourite Puyo Puyo characters you can use to customise your player profile
Players will need to be on the same version of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 to play online together, so we recommend everyone to update to the latest patch to ensure compatibility.
Sonic the Hedgehog Dashes onto Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 in an Expanded Roster An already-robust cast grows even larger starting today with four new playable characters joining the game. First up is a special guest from SEGA’s flagship series who needs no introduction, Sonic the Hedgehog! The speedy blue hedgehog lives life by his own rules. He hates dishonesty and injustice, and he's not afraid to fight for what's right.
Ms. Accord Ms. Accord is a teacher of the Primp Magic School. Though gentle and kind, she's known to prepare rather peculiar lesson plans. While she only played a minor role in the original Puyo Puyo Tetris, this update marks the first time Ms. Accord will appear as a playable character in a localised release since Puyo Pop Fever.
Lidelle Next up is Lidelle, a student of Primp Magic School. Known to be mild-mannered and soft-spoken, she is also very shy and hides her horns by wrapping them with her hair. While sharing no blood relation, she considers Dark Prince and Draco her big brother and sister.
The Ocean Prince Finally, The Ocean Prince is, what else, the prince of the sea, a royal who can be pretty selfish without realizing it. He sometimes takes a human form when he uses a particular spell. Like Ms. Accord and Lidelle, this will mark his first playable appearance since Puyo Pop Fever after making a cameo in Puyo Puyo Tetris.
Team up for Boss Raid The new online Boss Raid mode allows you to call upon three of your friends to aid you in your quest to take down a fierce CPU-controlled boss. In addition, for those playing on the Nintendo Switch, you can also cozy up for some couch co-op using the Switch’s local wireless multiplayer.
Following the rules of Skill Battle mode, players will create their team from the now-expanded roster of characters and choosing a party with complementary skills is key to a winning strategy. As you play, you’ll pop Puyos and clear Tetriminos, shaking Garbage Puyos loose and causing the boss to lose HP. If their HP hits 0, you win!
- Play according to your own skill level by adjusting the difficulty level: as you increase the difficulty, you’ll add on the number of bosses you’ll have to fight in a row; higher difficulties will have different level requirements, so make sure your team has the strength to survive this challenging gauntlet
- Chance Time can occur when players face random conditions during raids (e.g., inflict X damage at once, survive for X seconds), which upon being fulfilled, inflicts major damage on the boss
- Bosses have unique skills to keep players on their toes, like Paralyze which stops the player from being able to rotate their pieces for a short time, adding an exciting twist to each battle
- Item Cards and experience points can be earned from Boss Raids, with better rewards for higher difficulties. Players can use these Item Cards to equip their team of three in the Skill Battle Mode
Players can now access a free demo on Nintendo Switch to experience Puyo Puyo™ Tetris® 2, but hurry as it’s only available for a limited amount of time.
This is just the first of SEGA’s post-launch content updates for Puyo Puyo™ Tetris® 2. Players can look forward to even more game features, additional characters, and other exciting new content! More information will be announced at a later date, as well as more details on the game’s Steam release, so stay tuned to the official Puyo Puyo accounts on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for all the latest.
Sonic's the name, Puyo is the game! Starting today, Sonic the Hedgehog, Lidelle, Ms. Accord, and Ocean Prince join the playable cast of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. Try them out in the new Co-Op Boss Raid mode, also available today! Chili dogs not included.
Europeans who missed out on First4Figures’ Sonic & Tails diorama figure will be happy to know that they have a second chance to scoop one up. The restock is coming April 2021, but pre-orders are open now. This figure went very quickly the first time around, so don't wait to secure one for the restock. You can check out pre-order links here.
I think most would agree that the Sonic the Hedgehog movie turned out better than expected. It wasn't an amazing movie, but it was a fun, simple romp. Not the kind of movie that wins actors awards, but is enjoyable nonetheless. Well, we can actually scratch that last comment, as the movie has just won Jim Carrey another honor.
The CW just held their first Critics' Choice Super Awards, presented by the Critics Choice Association, which is meant to honor the best in genre fiction film and television. Jim Carrey was nominated in the "Best Villain in a Movie" category, and he wound up taking the win. He was up against Kathryn Newton for her role in Freaky, Martin Short and Jane Krakowski in The Willoughbys, J. K. Simmons in Palm Springs, and Hilary Swank in The Hunt.
Sonic the Hedgehog was actually nominated for four different awards, including an overall nomination in "Best Superhero Movie," and nominations for both Jim Carrey and Ben Schwartz in the "Best Actor in a Superhero Movie." The one win by Carrey is all the film scored.
We really don't know anything about Netflix's upcoming 3D animated Sonic series, other than its existence. While we wait for more official details from SEGA or Netflix, we do have some info on what the series won't be.
Comic book writer Ian Flynn recently did a Q&A about all things Sonic, and the topic of Netflix's series came up. Flynn outright said that the series is not going to be based on the IDW comic line. It's looking more and more like the series is going to be yet another original take on Sonic.
Sonic fans love to dig around in SEGA's past to see just how different Sonic's games were before they released. All sorts of prototypes for Sonic 2, 3 and so on were discovered, but a playable prototype for the original Sonic the Hedgehog seemed impossible to find. There were magazine features on that build and screenshots from development, but nothing playable no matter where people looked. Well, until today, that is.
After 15 years of trying to find something, a playable prototype for Sonic the Hedgehog has been discovered. This build includes a lot of infamous features that were spotted in early screens. Players can run through Clock Work Zone and Sparkling Zone, interact with the ball in Green Hill Zone, and more. You can see a lot more about the prototype here.
Before 2020 closes out, SEGA wants to once again spread the word on their Olympic offerings in Japan. The company has released a new set of commercials for both Tokyo 2020 Olympics: The Official Video Game and Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
SEGA has cooked up something special for the holiday season. Their team has created a new animation that puts a Sonic spin on the classic story of A Christmas Carol. You can see the entire feature in the video above!