Goriginal Content

EoD - Come back, WR

EoD - Come back, SF

EoD - Come back, F-0

GN Podcast #453

Cult County chat!

EoD - Missed chance?
 

Carmack would like to bring Doom 3 BFG edition to Wii U, doesn't have the time

I wish that we could deploy this (Doom 3 BFG Edition) on a bunch of other code bases. I love platforms...I love looking for the fun things to do on different ones. I've been bringing up quietly at a bunch of the meetings, "You know, we could make a Vita version, a Wii U version, an iPhone/Android version." All of these would be reasonable platforms to take this technology. ...We do have a very busy development schedule and nothing else is really planned for that. - John Carmack

Just because there's no time now doesn't mean there won't be time later. I really hope we see some id Wii U support in the future.

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
20 total comments (View all)
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 14:03

Time seems like a big issue for wiiu games...even though people have known of the hardware for more than a year
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 14:03

He must be really busy with Rage 2 after it's critical and commercial success.

Oh...
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 14:11

KingBroly wrote:He must be really busy with Rage 2 after it's critical and commercial success.

Oh...


I imagine he's busy with Doom 4 and whatever else they're working on that we don't know of yet.

I personally never understood what people hated so much about Rage. I thought it was a wonderful return to form for the genre. It didn't feel lifeless, like the genre has almost entirely become.
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 14:14

@Windsor

I liked Rage as well it was a good game
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 15:43

I might get the game for my new PC. Since the engine wasn't changed from id Tech 4 to 5, I doubt it'd be something my computer can't handle at ultra.

I'll also add that I like Rage. Yes the ending was a bit "meh," but I still liked it. The graphics were great, the animations top notch, the gameplay and weapon selection nice, driving sections were pretty fun, and it felt like a nice combination of old and new shooter elements.
No Avatar
08 Sep 2012 15:45

yeah hm well ok , isn't doom 3 a rather old game ? not that it's not good . what about rage or doom4 , same deal i suppose not enough people ... pffff
it's a professional and courteous way of saying no, so that's something rare in this industry unlike not putting game on nintendo hardware for stupid reason , forgetting that they will make money of it , due to the low cost of the port and the fact that the software would benefit from the marketing campaign already in place , and raise their brand awareness for a few consumers

well it seems metroid blast from nintendo land with at least three maps and five players coop local play , will probably be the only shooter on wii , with the wiimote pointer anyway , so men do i hope for hvs more than ever to do a game
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 15:49

I'd be interested in trying this. I wanted to try it on Xbox. Never found it. I don't care how old a game is. He said he wanted to make Wii games a few times so this is possible.
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 16:22

Anyone else notice a recurring theme here with third party developers and the Wii U?

Worrying.
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 16:31

Freeload wrote:Anyone else notice a recurring theme here with third party developers and the Wii U?

What, that it's not getting ports of every single game being developed right now?

Not 'worrying' so much as 'whatever'
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 16:36

They are likely waiting to see how the system sells first. They do this with every system.
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 17:22

LegendofSantiago wrote:Time seems like a big issue for wiiu games...even though people have known of the hardware for more than a year


Yeah, strange, isn't it?
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 17:48

As long as Doom 4 hits the Wii-U I don't mind this update to Doom 3 missing it.
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 17:57

@LegendofSantiago This.

Also you know a bunch of them have made time [shock] to start PS4/720 games...
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 18:45

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:@LegendofSantiago This.

Also you know a bunch of them have made time [shock] to start PS4/720 games...

To be fair Nintendo systems have a horrible track record when it comes to 3rd party sales.

We all know PS4/720 will move tons of the "right" kind of 3rd party software, Wii U has yet to prove itself.
No Avatar
08 Sep 2012 20:01

CCFanboy wrote:He said he wanted to make Wii games a few times so this is possible.
He said several times he wanted to make Wii games, but never did. He was interested in the DS, but only made one game for it. Now Bethesda is his overlord, and Bethesda has no interest in Wii U, so he won't be making anything for it. At least not until it gains a foothold and some marketshare.
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 22:30

Meah, Doom 3 was kinda a disappointment anyways. Doom 1 and 2 were much superior games IMO.

Hopefully Doom 4 sticks with the whole "you are in hell" dealio of the 1st 2 Doom games...
User avatar
08 Sep 2012 22:43

Windsor wrote:
KingBroly wrote:He must be really busy with Rage 2 after it's critical and commercial success.

Oh...


I imagine he's busy with Doom 4 and whatever else they're working on that we don't know of yet.

I personally never understood what people hated so much about Rage. I thought it was a wonderful return to form for the genre. It didn't feel lifeless, like the genre has almost entirely become.

Well the ending sucked a big one, and even though we are drowning in online shooters no deathmatch for an iD game seems crazy, but otherwise I agree 100%. Until the final cutscenes played, I absolutely adored Rage. I admit I still haven't made time to try the multiplayer battle yet, but both single player and multiplayer co-op were fantastic.

Not counting Bioshock and the Metroid Prime Trilogy, I'd say it's easily the greatest FPS I've played this generation.

As for Doom 3, I already have it on Steam but since I replaced my old laptop with a newer model that doesn't have a full fledged graphics card I can't run it on any sort of playable framerate. Still think $30 is a bit much but I'm sure there will be good deals for this game around xmas time, can't wait to play Doom 3 again :D .

Darth Vader wrote:
What, that it's not getting ports of every single game being developed right now?

Not 'worrying' so much as 'whatever'

I couldn't disagree more. I don't like having to buy multiple consoles just to get all the good 3rd party games. And there have been some MASSIVE omissions from the Wii this gen. Honestly the only multiplatform game I can think of that was worth getting on the Wii was the first Force Unleashed.

I mean Nintendo's 1st party stuff is always great, but we've had more high scoring, AAA games this gen than ever before (and that's not because reviewers are going easier on games as some would have us believe). I know Nintendo doesn't want to admit it, but I don't think they can afford to keep missing out on titles like Red Dead Redemption, Arkham Asylum, Mortal Kombat, Bioshock, Dead Space, Portal 2, and iD's masterpieces.

Then again, considering the rumor's around WiiU's specs, it should be launching dirt cheap.....
User avatar
09 Sep 2012 01:38

Hopefully sales of the Wii U can make them change their stance.
User avatar
09 Sep 2012 01:51

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:I couldn't disagree more. I don't like having to buy multiple consoles just to get all the good 3rd party games. And there have been some MASSIVE omissions from the Wii this gen. Honestly the only multiplatform game I can think of that was worth getting on the Wii was the first Force Unleashed.

I mean Nintendo's 1st party stuff is always great, but we've had more high scoring, AAA games this gen than ever before (and that's not because reviewers are going easier on games as some would have us believe). I know Nintendo doesn't want to admit it, but I don't think they can afford to keep missing out on titles like Red Dead Redemption, Arkham Asylum, Mortal Kombat, Bioshock, Dead Space, Portal 2, and iD's masterpieces.

Then again, considering the rumor's around WiiU's specs, it should be launching dirt cheap.....

I think your overreacting a bit here. Iwata said they are making sure its supported and bethesda (probably means id as well) aren't jumping on board anything until they see sales. If you think support will be as bad as wii your wrong. Its too expensive. Try to ignore what is coming next year that its missing because there were games that 360, ps3 and wii missed in their first year. Look at the titles it has now and go off that for a comparison. If you look at the list you'll see that (at this point) wii u has better third party support than 64, gamecube and wii. Gamecube overall seems to have better but thats basing it on it's whole lifetime. Wii u will likely have nintendo's best third party support since snes.
User avatar
09 Sep 2012 12:11

M1 wrote:
Chosenoneknuckles wrote:@LegendofSantiago This.

Also you know a bunch of them have made time [shock] to start PS4/720 games...

To be fair Nintendo systems have a horrible track record when it comes to 3rd party sales.

We all know PS4/720 will move tons of the "right" kind of 3rd party software, Wii U has yet to prove itself.


To be absolutely fair, though, this myth is self fulfilling prophecy, and not only the platforms fault. Because of the fear of the Horrible Track Record™, the 3rd parties don't even try to make big investments into Nintendo platforms. They make cheap software instead, that doesn't interest anybody to fulfill the prophecy. And this is heavily marketed "feature" in Nintendos platforms.

There are lots of examples, that show that there would have been money on the Wii table, but the myth is aslo profitable;
the lack of 3rd party support eventually meant, that the life risking investments into the HD-Twins started to make more profit, when Wii's game drought finally started to hinder the money that is flowing into the Wii instead of PS360.

Cods sold about million on Wii, even though they were notoriously cheap versions. Its very little, of course, compared to the acclaimed versions, but so was the budget. The Wii version was made by 20 people in a year(or less), when the acclaimed versions were made by hundred people in 2 years. The Resident Evil 4 was a million seller, even when its customers already had the same game for last gen console. We can be pretty sure, that things would look pretty different, if there was not so many supporters of the Horrible Track Record™. Resident Evil 5 exclusive alone would have made a big difference.

Even good games can fail to sell, even on the marketed and media approved systems. Wii didn't have enough...if any, big investments from 3rd party to create the customer base for such games. On the contrary, the Nintendon't was heavily marketed because the Doomed since 1889™ -campaign is less risky, than making another investment after HD-Twins.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way