Goriginal Content

EoD - Instagram fun

GN Podcast #484

EoD - Happy release!

EoD - Too big & loud

Smash Wii U review

Adventure Time rev
 

Did You Know Gaming - Future Zelda



Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
22 total comments (View all)
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 21:38

Honestly this idea would have been awesome to me. Especially if the core gameplay stayed the same (in other words only the story really changed)
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 21:43

This really seems like they wanted to get this cool idea out for the older zelda games. Hopefully beta footage of this will happen one day!
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 21:45

A Link to the Future? I would like to see that happening. How about making it a la Sonic CD?
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 21:47

They sure are adding a lot of modern and futuristic tech in every new zelda nowadays (mech bulls, trains, robots, advanced AI), why not give it a shot some day?
No Avatar
02 Feb 2013 22:07

I remember reading this osmewhere else before. It's part of the reason Link is called Link- he's not just the link between the player and the game, he's the Link between the past and future.
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 22:12

ddddd wrote:They sure are adding a lot of modern and futuristic tech in every new zelda nowadays (mech bulls, trains, robots, advanced AI), why not give it a shot some day?

I'd be OK with this, but I know a lot of people would throw a fit. They're was already an outcry over trains (because evidently people don't realize how little time existed between steam boats and steam trains).
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 23:14

Triforce of the Gods wrote:
ddddd wrote:They sure are adding a lot of modern and futuristic tech in every new zelda nowadays (mech bulls, trains, robots, advanced AI), why not give it a shot some day?

I'd be OK with this, but I know a lot of people would throw a fit. They're was already an outcry over trains (because evidently people don't realize how little time existed between steam boats and steam trains).

I would KILL for something that would define Zelda's future, like Batman Beyond shaped the future of Batman and the DCU (prior to that we only had the Dark Knight Returns and the Legion of Superheroes).

I remember that whole April Fools thing about a not too distant future Link searching for the ancient relic known as the Triforce with a motorcycle named Epona in a vast metropolis known as Hyrule. There would have to be some differences in the game mechanics but I'd love to give it a try.

It'd beat the hell out of the wooden submarines, one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 23:21

I'm sure a futuristic Zelda would be really polarizing, but I'd love to see it. Perhaps it's the breath of fresh air practically everyone but me says the series needs. The Legend of Zelda: Guitar of Generations? Now with co-op and voice-acting?
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 00:01

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did this. They have been talking a lot lately about changing the conventional Zelda formula...
No Avatar
03 Feb 2013 00:18

They actually showed all this in hyrule historia. Something about an early idea for the game Legend of Zelda. It's VERY interesting.
No Avatar
Anonymous
03 Feb 2013 00:32

Looks like one of the "space" teens from the ninja turtle cartoons
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 00:48

while it would be cool, a lot of people seem to have lost respect for Zelda as a series over all and a lot of the big communities for it seem to be disappearing too.
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 02:10

@redhatdrawler

Haha i definitely see the neutrinos similarity
Image
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 05:43

WolfLink22 wrote:while it would be cool, a lot of people seem to have lost respect for Zelda as a series over all and a lot of the big communities for it seem to be disappearing too.


Yeah...that's just entitlement.
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 07:38

Man, I would KILL for a futuristic Zelda! I'd kill a chicken.
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 09:28

I really don't know what to think of it. Zelda is defined by its fantasy medieval setting. If there would be a futuristic Zelda world, then wouldn't it be very different from how we see 'future' worlds now? Since there is a lot of magic in Hyrule, I don't expect that the future Hyrule will look anything like our world. I don't expect a world filled with crazy technology, and honestly, I wouldn't like it. If you take away that fantasy setting, then Zelda becomes a totally different game, so i don't expect they'll use Zelda for a setting like that.
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 13:14

TheEyeProjects wrote:I really don't know what to think of it. Zelda is defined by its fantasy medieval setting. If there would be a futuristic Zelda world, then wouldn't it be very different from how we see 'future' worlds now? Since there is a lot of magic in Hyrule, I don't expect that the future Hyrule will look anything like our world. I don't expect a world filled with crazy technology, and honestly, I wouldn't like it. If you take away that fantasy setting, then Zelda becomes a totally different game, so i don't expect they'll use Zelda for a setting like that.


Seeing as the idea came from ALttP, I think the idea was as follows:

The "Dark World' was orginally the future, and everything there was going to be futuristic. Link would be from the "medieval" world and thrown into the future one, which would seem very strange and unnatural to him. In this way, both the main character that you play as AND the player playing the game would have the same feeling of bemusement and feel out of place. Because you can relate to the character you are playing as in this way it helps the setting not seem out of place.

Also just because something is "futuristic" does not mean its not fantasy. There are plenty of ways to make technology fit in to a fantasy world. Think about metroid with the Chozo and their contraptions that are both futuristic yet ancient and buried in ruins.
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 14:13

^ Yeah, just do lots of Steampunk and you're done :P
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 14:29

Kind of interesting how much of this design looks like Sheik
No Avatar
Anonymous
03 Feb 2013 19:19

If a future setting means Zelda is walking around in her underwear ala those illustrations, then the idea gets a no from me. Does link get reduced to wearing little green speedos?
User avatar
04 Feb 2013 04:52

Saw this in Hyrule Historia.
A futuristic Zelda could be an interesting idea, I'd like to see it.
User avatar
04 Feb 2013 10:36

Oh yes! Now after SS and the first part in the story / time frame I woyuld love to see a futuristic look. Mixed with the middle ages style of course. Zelda and time travel would never be the same again :) It worked nice for Chronotrigger.

And we could take out time travel. Just look at games like FF6, 7 and Xenoblade. They have both the Sci Fi feeling with the Fantasy feeling.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way