Goriginal Content

EoD - Next-Gen Mario

EoD - Mario movie?

EoD - Your amiibo

GN Radio #35

GN podcast #488

EoD - Renegade Kid
 

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D being handled by Monster Games




Well, now that mystery is solved! I'm sure they're more than capable of handling that port. Still, a little sad to see they're not working on something brand-new. Also, as usual, just ignore that multiplatform listing with the OFLC rating.

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
26 total comments (View all)
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:02

maybe just a small group within monster games is doing it? i'm sure the majority of gamefreak was working on pokemon x&y when they announced b2&w2. that game probably only took a small section of people to make, too...
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:03

Gah! I thought for sure they where working on a new Wave Race for the 3DS! Well if the port hits stores zoo then they have to of had started on something else.
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:03

@Oregano

I don't know that I'd call it branching out when all they're really doing is converting it to 3D, altering controls and shrinking the assets to look decent on a smaller screen.
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:15

Given that this is just a port, couldn't they still be working on something else as well?
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:18

Shame they aren't crafting something new.
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:20

Hmm, probably not exactly the best use of a talented studio. I was hoping they were working on something new for Wii U.
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:20

The last game they wrapped on was Pilotwings Resort. That is a long time ago now. I guarantee you they have not had to work on this port for 2 years. No way. They're definitely also working on something else.
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:22

what... ugh... well I guess thats cool?

I was really hoping they were making a new racing game... with "F" and "Zero" in the title...
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:22

MoldyClay wrote:@Oregano

I don't know that I'd call it branching out when all they're really doing is converting it to 3D, altering controls and shrinking the assets to look decent on a smaller screen.


They would still have to convert the code to 3DS and I imagine recreate at least some of the assets(as I doubt it was made with a downport in mind). It should give them a little taste of something different.

Monster Games is only around 20 people AFAIK so this is probably their sole project at the moment.
No Avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:25

I am just happy Retro isn't the ones wasting their time on this
No Avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:31

well , it would be a storm of thread if retro was actually the one working on the port . I would love a new excite TRUCK (not bots) with more space tracks and for the wii u of course . I don't know if they have the man power to do it .
I doubt anyone could ever make a nice followup to the last masterpiece of sega known as fzero

oh well only 12 to 20 people ? wow they did such a great job with excite truck i would never have guessed . Unfortunately that would mean a one project studio
It's simple really i want all the teams to make a wii u game and a 3ds game .
Ironically since i just finished dkcr a few months ago , i would prefer an excite truck game on 3ds .
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:33

Yeah, hopefully their studio is big enough that they have a small team working on this and their core team working on something new.

EDIT:
@Oregano
Well, if they are that small, nevermind. @joeshabadoo has a good point though, too. It's been a while since their last release. Would it really take them this long to port the game over?
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 15:34

people, even if Monster Games is 20 people, it doesn't take 20 very capable developers over 2 years to create a port. This is not not the only thing on their plate
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 16:17

I guess this proves no new content. Once again making the question as to why Nintendo doing this lazy cash-in in the first god damn place?
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 16:19

I'm very happy for this new version. I never played it on Wii, and I imagine that the only complaint hurled at the original version (shaking to roll) has been addressed here. Plus it looks very nice in 3D. This is a day one buy for me. Thank heavens for ports and remakes!

... Oh, wait, I mean, uh... Waste of time. Make something new. I played this already and that means everyone has. Ports are terrible and a waste of time for everyone because I'm on the internet and I say so. They should be using it to make a new game since the world knows that a developer can only be making one thing at any given time. Cash grab! Lazy! Why should I pay more than fifty cents for a port that was made in a day? Nintendo is horribly abusing their magical "press to make game" button.

Yeah. That's what I meant to say.
No Avatar
Anonymous
07 Mar 2013 16:27

I think this cash in is a testing of the waters for Wii to 3DS ports.

So this could lead to Zelda,Kirby,Xenoblade,Last Story,Endless Ocean and others being ported.
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 16:47

Windsor wrote:I'm very happy for this new version. I never played it on Wii, and I imagine that the only complaint hurled at the original version (shaking to roll) has been addressed here. Plus it looks very nice in 3D. This is a day one buy for me. Thank heavens for ports and remakes!

... Oh, wait, I mean, uh... Waste of time. Make something new. I played this already and that means everyone has. Ports are terrible and a waste of time for everyone because I'm on the internet and I say so. They should be using it to make a new game since the world knows that a developer can only be making one thing at any given time. Cash grab! Lazy! Why should I pay more than fifty cents for a port that was made in a day? Nintendo is horribly abusing their magical "press to make game" button.

Yeah. That's what I meant to say.


Yeah it's okay for Nintendo to make a port but when Activision ports over Amazing Spider-man to Wii U for $30 everyone complains or when WB ports Arkham City or Capcom ports Revelations to consoles as "it doesn't have enough new content to justify a purchase"! Yet Nintendo porting over DKCR a no more than two year old game to 3DS and will probably charge a full $40 price tag for it and EVERYONE eats it up. :lol:
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 17:25

mariomaniac45213 wrote:
Yeah it's okay for Nintendo to make a port but when Activision ports over Amazing Spider-man to Wii U for $30 everyone complains or when WB ports Arkham City or Capcom ports Revelations to consoles as "it doesn't have enough new content to justify a purchase"! Yet Nintendo porting over DKCR a no more than two year old game to 3DS and will probably charge a full $40 price tag for it and EVERYONE eats it up. :lol:


Do they? I'm talking about Nintendo fans and their reaction to Nintendo ports. Nintendo announces a port of -anything- and they get attacked viciously by 80% of everyone for it. If someone likes the game enough to buy it a second time, well that's just terrific but remakes and re-releases aren't meant for the people who've played that particular game already. It's the same idea for the Virtual Console. Do you know how many sarcastic "Oh boy, I can't wait to buy all the Zelda's again" jokes I heard when the Virtual Console was announced? Even Penny Arcade ran a comic saying the exact same thing because it was apparently all Nintendo fans were given to look forward too that E3. The Virtual Console isn't for you if you still have a working NES and a copy of The Legend of Zelda. It's for the people who don't, who far outnumber you.

I loved The Amazing Spider-Man on PS3, and $30 dollars for a nicer version with all of the DLC? I might just buy it a second time. Arkham City on the other hand I didn't enjoy half as much so I'm not making a second purchase. However, I am more than aware that the Wii-U version was never made for me so I'm not out here screaming from the rooftops about how pointless it is just because the game is a year old and I've played it already. What I would do (and have done) is complain about getting a Mass Effect 3 port while the PS3 and 360 get the entire trilogy for the same price. That's just ugly, and I won't support it.

The fact of the matter is that people who owned a Wii and now own a Wii-U are getting The Amazing Spider-Man for half the price that the others paid and with more content that the others had to pay extra for. There's nothing wrong with that. People, however, are so preoccupied with a game's age or it's time available on other consoles (that they own, so clearly everyone else must as well), that they can't be bothered thinking of the new audience getting a better deal on an older game. No, it's all about themselves, and they've played this game already. Port is officially a waste of time for everybody and the planet and exists solely as a lazy cash grab.

I'm not sure why you think Nintendo gets some free ride from it's fans in regard to ports. Two years into it's lifespan I -still- hear people claiming that the 3DS "only has" ports and remakes available. People think so lowly of Nintendo ports that it blinds them to Nintendo's new games and original IP's. People despise ports and remakes so much that it also blinds them to why a game would be ported or remade to begin with. People complained about Metal Gear Solid 3-D, Star Fox 64 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, and any others all because they had personally played them before, or because they feel that since the game is old it obviously took no time, money, staff, or effort, to get them running or enhanced on a different platform. I never got to play MGS3, Star Fox 64, or DKCR, and ports to the 3DS gave me the opportunity to do so. I even knew a family of four children who wouldn't pursue playing Ocarina of Time because of it's graphics (as ugly as that sounds) and now they've all played it thanks to Ocarina of Time 3D.

The funniest part of it all is that people's hatred for ports or remakes flies out the window when it's a game that they particularly like. Majora's Mask comes to mind. People clamor for a Final Fantasy Type-0 port to Vita or a Final Fantasy Versus port to 360, all while claiming the Vita is a worthwhile purchase thanks entirely to a port of Persona 4. I'm not saying these are bad things to want or praise, quite the opposite, just pointing out the hypocrisy. Persona 4 is such a good game to so many people that an updated version warrants an entire console purchase. If it's a game they like they'll take the port with open arms but if it's anything less it's a disgusting, lazy cash grab that clearly stopping the company in question from making new products. It hurts me to see it so often from so many people.
User avatar
07 Mar 2013 17:48

Then what is Retro working on?
User avatar
08 Mar 2013 18:33

mariomaniac45213 wrote:Yeah it's okay for Nintendo to make a port but when Activision ports over Amazing Spider-man to Wii U for $30 everyone complains or when WB ports Arkham City or Capcom ports Revelations to consoles as "it doesn't have enough new content to justify a purchase"! Yet Nintendo porting over DKCR a no more than two year old game to 3DS and will probably charge a full $40 price tag for it and EVERYONE eats it up. :lol:


only difference is too many companies are bringing their old games to the wii u, but skipping the wii u when it comes to some of their upcoming bigger titles that are new for EVERYONE at the same time. at least nintendo is bringing a plethora of new titles to us WITH their port of an older game.
User avatar
09 Mar 2013 13:16

Windsor wrote:I'm very happy for this new version. I never played it on Wii, and I imagine that the only complaint hurled at the original version (shaking to roll) has been addressed here. Plus it looks very nice in 3D. This is a day one buy for me. Thank heavens for ports and remakes!

... Oh, wait, I mean, uh... Waste of time. Make something new. I played this already and that means everyone has. Ports are terrible and a waste of time for everyone because I'm on the internet and I say so. They should be using it to make a new game since the world knows that a developer can only be making one thing at any given time. Cash grab! Lazy! Why should I pay more than fifty cents for a port that was made in a day? Nintendo is horribly abusing their magical "press to make game" button.

Yeah. That's what I meant to say.


LOL That was Awesome Windsor, I like that :-.D
User avatar
09 Mar 2013 14:16

Windsor wrote:
mariomaniac45213 wrote:
Yeah it's okay for Nintendo to make a port but when Activision ports over Amazing Spider-man to Wii U for $30. everyone complains or when WB ports Arkham City or Capcom ports Revelations to consoles as "it doesn't have enough new content to justify a purchase"! Yet Nintendo porting over DKCR a no more than two year old game to 3DS and will probably charge a full $40 price tag for it and EVERYONE eats it up. :lol:


Do they? I'm talking about Nintendo fans and their reaction to Nintendo ports. Nintendo announces a port of -anything- and they get attacked viciously by 80% of everyone for it. If someone likes the game enough to buy it a second time, well that's just terrific but remakes and re-releases aren't meant for the people who've played that particular game already. It's the same idea for the Virtual Console. Do you know how many sarcastic "Oh boy, I can't wait to buy all the Zelda's again" jokes I heard when the Virtual Console was announced? Even Penny Arcade ran a comic saying the exact same thing because it was apparently all Nintendo fans were given to look forward too that E3. The Virtual Console isn't for you if you still have a working NES and a copy of The Legend of Zelda. It's for the people who don't, who far outnumber you.

I loved The Amazing Spider-Man on PS3, and $30 dollars for a nicer version with all of the DLC? I might just buy it a second time. Arkham City on the other hand I didn't enjoy half as much so I'm not making a second purchase. However, I am more than aware that the Wii-U version was never made for me so I'm not out here screaming from the rooftops about how pointless it is just because the game is a year old and I've played it already. What I would do (and have done) is complain about getting a Mass Effect 3 port while the PS3 and 360 get the entire trilogy for the same price. That's just ugly, and I won't support it.

The fact of the matter is that people who owned a Wii and now own a Wii-U are getting The Amazing Spider-Man for half the price that the others paid and with more content that the others had to pay extra for. There's nothing wrong with that. People, however, are so preoccupied with a game's age or it's time available on other consoles (that they own, so clearly everyone else must as well), that they can't be bothered thinking of the new audience getting a better deal on an older game. No, it's all about themselves, and they've played this game already. Port is officially a waste of time for everybody and the planet and exists solely as a lazy cash grab.

I'm not sure why you think Nintendo gets some free ride from it's fans in regard to ports. Two years into it's lifespan I -still- hear people claiming that the 3DS "only has" ports and remakes available. People think so lowly of Nintendo ports that it blinds them to Nintendo's new games and original IP's. People despise ports and remakes so much that it also blinds them to why a game would be ported or remade to begin with. People complained about Metal Gear Solid 3-D, Star Fox 64 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D, and any others all because they had personally played them before, or because they feel that since the game is old it obviously took no time, money, staff, or effort, to get them running or enhanced on a different platform. I never got to play MGS3, Star Fox 64, or DKCR, and ports to the 3DS gave me the opportunity to do so. I even knew a family of four children who wouldn't pursue playing Ocarina of Time because of it's graphics (as ugly as that sounds) and now they've all played it thanks to Ocarina of Time 3D.

The funniest part of it all is that people's hatred for ports or remakes flies out the window when it's a game that they particularly like. Majora's Mask comes to mind. People clamor for a Final Fantasy Type-0 port to Vita or a Final Fantasy Versus port to 360, all while claiming the Vita is a worthwhile purchase thanks entirely to a port of Persona 4. I'm not saying these are bad things to want or praise, quite the opposite, just pointing out the hypocrisy. Persona 4 is such a good game to so many people that an updated version warrants an entire console purchase. If it's a game they like they'll take the port with open arms but if it's anything less it's a disgusting, lazy cash grab that clearly stopping the company in question from making new products. It hurts me to see it so often from so many people.


I completely understand what your saying, you make such a logical point, & I think it comes to people just like to hate!
Especially with Nintendo, also many people don't understand that every year their are millions of people starting to play video games for the first time or maybe getting back from not playing for a long time.
I myself am really looking forward to the 3ds donkey kong, after I shown others they are also ready to buy it when it came out!

I say thank goodness for ports most ports are already tested and reviewed as a very good to great game, Where as a new game could be great or could be a flop, a great example is the aliens colonial marines, that game was hyped to the ceiling & we know how that turned out!!!

The games you talked about zelda, starfox, mgs3, all those games were proven for years that many people rated as hits! So ports are great, great for people who never played those game in the first place, great for people who enjoyed the game before and want to replay it again, and also great for would be future game developers that may have never played or heard of that game before.

Good ports are good for everyone, & sometimes if they add things to the port that the original game did not have, new levels, 3d, online, that could give incentive for people Who have played the game before to play it again!

If the argument was that there was only ports coming out and nothing new, I may understand the complaints however that's not true with the 3ds or the wii u for there are many games coming out to both systems.
Argument is Moot!

Windsor I completely understand what you said I enjoyed your wit & its a breath of fresh air to hear a comment that is sensible & thoughtful instead of just some tool voicing gamerage just so they can be heard and act like a troll to aggravate others in here to make themselves feel better about themselves

You get from me 5 out of 5 Nintenja * from me...
Signed: 3dimension.
User avatar
09 Mar 2013 14:17

I CALLED IT!

Everyone was saying Excite Truck but I said "DKC 3D?"
User avatar
09 Mar 2013 21:32

3dimension wrote:LOL That was Awesome Windsor, I like that :-.D

3dimension wrote:
I completely understand what your saying, you make such a logical point, & I think it comes to people just like to hate!
Especially with Nintendo, also many people don't understand that every year their are millions of people starting to play video games for the first time or maybe getting back from not playing for a long time.
I myself am really looking forward to the 3ds donkey kong, after I shown others they are also ready to buy it when it came out!

I say thank goodness for ports most ports are already tested and reviewed as a very good to great game, Where as a new game could be great or could be a flop, a great example is the aliens colonial marines, that game was hyped to the ceiling & we know how that turned out!!!

The games you talked about zelda, starfox, mgs3, all those games were proven for years that many people rated as hits! So ports are great, great for people who never played those game in the first place, great for people who enjoyed the game before and want to replay it again, and also great for would be future game developers that may have never played or heard of that game before.

Good ports are good for everyone, & sometimes if they add things to the port that the original game did not have, new levels, 3d, online, that could give incentive for people Who have played the game before to play it again!

If the argument was that there was only ports coming out and nothing new, I may understand the complaints however that's not true with the 3ds or the wii u for there are many games coming out to both systems.
Argument is Moot!

Windsor I completely understand what you said I enjoyed your wit & its a breath of fresh air to hear a comment that is sensible & thoughtful instead of just some tool voicing gamerage just so they can be heard and act like a troll to aggravate others in here to make themselves feel better about themselves

You get from me 5 out of 5 Nintenja * from me...
Signed: 3dimension.


Thank you for the kind words! The frequent treatment of the subject of ports and remakes rubs me the wrong way, and I guess this time was the last straw. :lol:

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed