Goriginal Content

EoD - Waluigi time?

EoD - Mario where?

EoD - Which to buy?

Smash Direct wrap-up

EoD - Smash Direct!

GN Podcast #451
 

Wii U - upcoming VC games

Wii U VC

- Xevious
- Solomon's Key


Both of these games are due out on May 9th. Thanks to Vernon for the heads up!

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
17 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
03 May 2013 21:49

corygodbey wrote:ha ha what
User avatar
03 May 2013 21:50

Is Solomon's Key any good? I might be picking it up next week.
User avatar
03 May 2013 21:58

Wii Virtual Console launch titles. : /
User avatar
03 May 2013 22:14

Nintendo, 2006 called, they want their VC games back.
User avatar
03 May 2013 23:48

For crying out loud, people are STILL complaining? We've been getting a VC game every week since the service launched, and it's at a faster pace than the 3DS VC launch regarding Third parties.

Yet people are STILL not satisfied? What on earth is it gonna take you guys to realize that they can't throw out 100+ roms on there at once as they aren't like that, and they all have to be converted, ESRB rated, Submitted to nintendo, ETC...

Personally I'm picking up Xevious as the NES version is 10000X better than the 3D Classic
User avatar
04 May 2013 00:34

The complaining has more to do with the fact that the games that are being released are already available on the Wii's Virtual Console, and have them all slowly be released again feels redundant.
User avatar
04 May 2013 01:04

SgtFly wrote:The complaining has more to do with the fact that the games that are being released are already available on the Wii's Virtual Console, and have them all slowly be released again feels redundant.


This I can understand, though I would be okay with the trickle again... But, seriously, not at -THIS- pace, please.
User avatar
04 May 2013 01:56

TheDreamingHawk wrote:For crying out loud, people are STILL complaining? We've been getting a VC game every week since the service launched, and it's at a faster pace than the 3DS VC launch regarding Third parties.

Yet people are STILL not satisfied? What on earth is it gonna take you guys to realize that they can't throw out 100+ roms on there at once as they aren't like that, and they all have to be converted, ESRB rated, Submitted to nintendo, ETC...

Personally I'm picking up Xevious as the NES version is 10000X better than the 3D Classic

Please stop posting. The service should have launched six months ago. An amateur university student could program GamePad compatibility to 100+ games in less than 24 hours. People have been running SNES emulators in their basements since 1998. Why should we be satisfied by this slow trickle of NES ROM dumps when even the Wii released games at a faster place? Nintendo is a corporation, not our friend. Treat them as such.
User avatar
04 May 2013 02:00

TheDreamingHawk makes a point though, do the games have to be rerated for the Wii U? It's not like you're running the Wii version, you're running a new version.
User avatar
04 May 2013 02:38

@CrispyGoomba it's ok, I downloaded it last year after I saw the Kacho play it, played it a couple times and forgot about it. I like Wrecking Crew in that genre a lot better
No Avatar
04 May 2013 08:02

Solomon's key is on ok game if you want a challenging 2D puzzle plateformer. The NES version was good but why is it not the Master System version or better, the arcade original game?
For Xevious, i consider the 3DS version as the definitive version.
User avatar
04 May 2013 08:45

I grew up in the NES era. NO ONE I knew cared about these games. Suddenly Xevious and Balloon Fight are being presented as amazing classics? What? No way, man. No way.

Anything Capcom, Mario, Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, and sports games. THOSE were what was hot back then. There's no nostalgia in this stuff, as far as I'm concerned. If people dig it now, cool. I'm just saying it's so disappointing from my perspective.
User avatar
04 May 2013 09:44

toadster101 wrote:
TheDreamingHawk wrote:For crying out loud, people are STILL complaining? We've been getting a VC game every week since the service launched, and it's at a faster pace than the 3DS VC launch regarding Third parties.

Yet people are STILL not satisfied? What on earth is it gonna take you guys to realize that they can't throw out 100+ roms on there at once as they aren't like that, and they all have to be converted, ESRB rated, Submitted to nintendo, ETC...

Personally I'm picking up Xevious as the NES version is 10000X better than the 3D Classic

Please stop posting. The service should have launched six months ago. An amateur university student could program GamePad compatibility to 100+ games in less than 24 hours. People have been running SNES emulators in their basements since 1998. Why should we be satisfied by this slow trickle of NES ROM dumps when even the Wii released games at a faster place? Nintendo is a corporation, not our friend. Treat them as such.



I said before, IT'S NOT TOSSING A ROM OUT THERE. For a game's VC release, it must be:

-ESRB Rated
-Pass Nintendo's approval process
-Be worked on their wii U emulator
-released on the eshop.



They do it moderately slow because when the wii VC came out and they exhausted all of the possible game releases in just a few years, people got mad and complained.Therefore they are slowing it down, but not too slow.

My point is, two fun games from third parties is no reason to whine or complain. What do you want them to do, release 200+ games in a week? They can't do that, and if by some tragedy they did, people would skip the obscure and go for the major games.


It's not like the VC is the wii U's major feature, play some new games! There are a nice variety of them.

SgtFly wrote:The complaining has more to do with the fact that the games that are being released are already available on the Wii's Virtual Console, and have them all slowly be released again feels redundant.


Said companies released all the VC games they can. They can't make a new NES game out of nowher
User avatar
04 May 2013 10:07

TheDreamingHawk wrote:I said before, IT'S NOT TOSSING A ROM OUT THERE. For a game's VC release, it must be:

-ESRB Rated
-Pass Nintendo's approval process
-Be worked on their wii U emulator
-released on the eshop.

Nintendo's approval process? What does that even mean? Nintendo could release all of their non-licensed first party software on the eShop almost immediately if they chose to do so. If you did any research of your own, you would know that games that have already been rated for the Wii Virtual Console do not need to be reexamined by the ESRB. Stop making shovel up so you have some material to work with.

TheDreamingHawk wrote:They do it moderately slow because when the wii VC came out and they exhausted all of the possible game releases in just a few years, people got mad and complained.Therefore they are slowing it down, but not too slow.

All possible game releases my fucking ass. People complained because they slowed down exponentially and sat on popular games like Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, Star Fox, Mario Party 3, and Donkey Kong 64 for no reason whatsoever. "Bu-bu-but the Super FX chip!" is a poor excuse, because basement dwelling hackers have already injected the Yoshi's Island ROM via Homebrew and haven't encountered any problems at all.

TheDreamingHawk wrote:My point is, two fun games from third parties is no reason to whine or complain. What do you want them to do, release 200+ games in a week? They can't do that, and if by some tragedy they did, people would skip the obscure and go for the major games.

It most certainly is a reason to whine or complain, because neither game was ever good to begin with, and $4.99 is an insane asking price. That's exactly what I want to do, and their sales would skyrocket overnight. Sure, people would purchase their favorites at first, but down the line, they wouldn't run out of games to play. Under the current situation, you best hope lady luck is on your side and Nintendo releases what you've been waiting for.

TheDreamingHawk wrote:It's not like the VC is the wii U's major feature, play some new games! There are a nice variety of them.

Like what? The Wii U is on life support right now, and Nintendo knows it. This would be the perfect time for them to start blowing their digital load so we have something to play until Pikmin 3 is released. But "please understand the situation."
User avatar
04 May 2013 10:37

I can't speak for everyone of course, but the virtual console is what motivates me to add money to my eshop accounts. If Nintendo doesn't add quality titles (I don't consider either of these quality titles) I don't have any reason to add money to my account, which after I get the VC game I want I look into the indie software, ect and other stuff.

Nintendo needs to work harder at this. They have lots of titles that haven't shown up on Wii yet they could do to at least breath some life into the service and the system. Like Bomberman 64, Mario Party 3, Uniracers, ect. I'm probably going to get a Wii U this weekend and I would like stuff to play on it!
User avatar
04 May 2013 12:13

toadster101 wrote:
TheDreamingHawk wrote:I said before, IT'S NOT TOSSING A ROM OUT THERE. For a game's VC release, it must be:

-ESRB Rated
-Pass Nintendo's approval process
-Be worked on their wii U emulator
-released on the eshop.

Nintendo's approval process? What does that even mean? Nintendo could release all of their non-licensed first party software on the eShop almost immediately if they chose to do so. If you did any research of your own, you would know that games that have already been rated for the Wii Virtual Console do not need to be reexamined by the ESRB. Stop making shovel up so you have some material to work with.



Nintendo still needs to rerate their own titles, even if they were already on wii. Don't believe me? Go to the ESRB and search for Xevious or Pac man, both of them have different ratings for Wii and Wii U. The approval process is skipped over as it IS their game.

TheDreamingHawk wrote:They do it moderately slow because when the wii VC came out and they exhausted all of the possible game releases in just a few years, people got mad and complained.Therefore they are slowing it down, but not too slow.


toadster101 wrote:
All possible game releases my fucking ass. People complained because they slowed down exponentially and sat on popular games like Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, Star Fox, Mario Party 3, and Donkey Kong 64 for no reason whatsoever. "Bu-bu-but the Super FX chip!" is a poor excuse, because basement dwelling hackers have already injected the Yoshi's Island ROM via Homebrew and haven't encountered any problems at all.



I can easily explain why those said games aren't there. Earthbound was held for many years due to legal issues that they just managed to fix, and as for Yoshi's island and Starfox, it IS THE FX CHIP CAUSING THEM TO BE HELD BACK. It runs fine, but the copyright belongs to argonauts, and Nintendo can't use those games unless they either

1: Buy the chip back (Not happening as said games using the chip aren't worth it as we will probably get the superior GBA port of Yoshi's island)

2: Remove the FX chip from the rom (Instant game crash, obviously won't happen)

As for Mario party 1, it's because of those joystick minigames. Before you say "Those can be removed!" Or "Those can't hurt your hands", they can't be removed and they DO hurt your hands, considering how fast the game WANTS you to spin the joystick, which hurts, even on the wii U's gamepad joystick

DK64? As has been stated many times before, can not happen as Rare owns the JET-PAC game that is required to beat and 100% DK64, so therefore they can not put that on the VC unless Nintendo somehow bought the rights to Jet-pac. I also hear that problems emulating the arcade DK and Jet-pac is another reason

As for other N64 games like Mario party 3, that IS Nintendo's fault, but knowing how N64 VC is on the way we'll get it then.



TheDreamingHawk wrote:My point is, two fun games from third parties is no reason to whine or complain. What do you want them to do, release 200+ games in a week? They can't do that, and if by some tragedy they did, people would skip the obscure and go for the major games.

toadster101 wrote:
It most certainly is a reason to whine or complain, because neither game was ever good to begin with, and $4.99 is an insane asking price. That's exactly what I want to do, and their sales would skyrocket overnight. Sure, people would purchase their favorites at first, but down the line, they wouldn't run out of games to play. Under the current situation, you best hope lady luck is on your side and Nintendo releases what you've been waiting for.


4.99 insane price? Am I really reading this? It is NOT an insane price, buying a newly boxed copy of any NES game costs at least $10, and considering how minimum wage in USA is over $5, it's not a bad price, especially when you already bought it on wii and only need to pay 1.00.

And neither game was good? Solomon's key is a classic of the puzzle genre, and Xevious is a classic arcade shooter, so they ARE classics.





TheDreamingHawk wrote:It's not like the VC is the wii U's major feature, play some new games! There are a nice variety of them.

toadster101 wrote:
Like what? The Wii U is on life support right now, and Nintendo knows it. This would be the perfect time for them to start blowing their digital load so we have something to play until Pikmin 3 is released. But "please understand the situation."


That's what they are doing. The 3DS VC only launched with THREE VC games, got only ONE the day after, and then we got one a week for a while. The Wii U VC launched with EIGHT VC games, and we've been getting two a week. That's significantly better

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way