Goriginal Content

EoD - Miiverse use

EoD - TV Vs. Pocket

EoD - Warriors cast

EoD - SS motion

GN Podcast #466

EoD - Zelda music
 

An interesting comparison between the Cult County and Shaq-Fu crowdsourced funding efforts


Also check out:
Discussion Preview
29 total comments (View all)
User avatar
05 May 2014 23:49

Shaq is a Freemason @.@
User avatar
06 May 2014 00:00

Guess Jools Watsham shoulda joined the NBA.
No Avatar
06 May 2014 00:19

Cult County would've probaby been as shovel as Shaq-fu anyway.
User avatar
06 May 2014 00:38

@Tenshi
So?

@MachineLaw
Why do you say that? RK is a pretty good dev.
No Avatar
06 May 2014 00:44

solarisdeschain wrote:Guess Jools Watsham shoulda joined the NBA.


Bigger and better perks is the key here, particularly for their astronomical goal. They had no NBA player, yet they were asking more than the NBA player, and their biggest perks were cheaper than the perks of the NBA player.

Lets do the math...if we suppose the top three perks in Cult County have been sold out (something unlikely, not even Shaq did it, but lets use our imagination) the ammount of money would have been around 115,000 bucks
5 pledges of 10,000
6 pledges of 6,666
5 pledges of 5,000

Lets add the next two tiers
10 pledges of 2,500
5 pledges of 1,000 (this by the way, was sold out in the actual kickstarter, big difference it did)

Summing all those top tier limited quantities pledge, we get the ginormous sum of 145,000 bucks...even if we sum to that what the kickstarter actually got we barely get close to 200,000, with then more than half the goal of the kickstarter to be filled with the rest of not so awesome perks and micro pledges. The fact that the fifth best tier sold out, yet made absolutely no difference ilustrates that point.

I wonder if someone really did the math at Renegade Kid when they decided upon the pledges tiers and the goal. What I mean, while the pledges they designed were standard kickstarter material for a smallish goal, on the other hand the goal they set required more pledge options, and more and better perks.
User avatar
06 May 2014 00:47

Agreed. Asking almost $600,000 was ridiculous.
No Avatar
06 May 2014 01:01

On the other hand, summing all limited quantities perks in the Shaq Fu campaign you get a maximum possible sum of almost 500,000, half a million dollars. And their campaign goal asked for 450,000, but that is exactly the point.

They knew not all of those perks would sold, they knew not everyone would be hot about getting Shaquille o Neal following them on twitter...but they DID offered the option among many others, for the crazy fan out there that would think it was a good idea, same with the rest of the perks, some sold out, some not, but they reached the goal, dramatically at the last day, thanks to the crazy perks and the continous support of the campaign, with several new pledge options during the whole run, price changes and limited time offers and regular updates to keep the people interested.

Sure, not that many people were crazy about going to a dinner with Jools and Greg, but maybe they could have been convinced with a super rare limited edition Moon Chronicles figurine...or a once in a lifetime chance to get the a rom hack of the original Mutant Mudds game that had polygonal graphics for DS...who knows.
User avatar
06 May 2014 01:19

I thought it was a bit weird at first, but after reading the details/comparison and then the comments...

Yeah, thems pretty much the breaks. Sorry Jools. =/
User avatar
06 May 2014 01:35

The gaming world needed Cult County more than it needs another Shaq-Fu, that's fo' sho'.
User avatar
06 May 2014 02:07

@Tenshi

So is Tom DeLonge.

What difference does that make, though?
User avatar
06 May 2014 03:45

I love the idea of a cult game on Wii U but I'd rather have it on my 3DS. Renegade Kid can do so much (2D stuff)more with less money. I agree, 600k wast quite a lot and trying to please multiple console owners didn't work out either.
If I had a paypal account or CC I would've backed Cult County, make no mistake...but I really wanted it to be on 3DS. And I have a feeling it would've worked in RK's advantage if they focussed on 1-2 platforms...

I get why they thought this would do well...so many disappointed Resident Evil fans..

Anyway I feel sad about it, Jools deserves better! Oh the other hand...we might be getting a fun new experimental 3DS game!
User avatar
06 May 2014 07:45

MoldyClay wrote:@Tenshi

So is Tom DeLonge.

What difference does that make, though?


OmnipotentSwine wrote:@Tenshi
So?



So learn to take a joke, @$$hats.
User avatar
06 May 2014 11:14

Tenshi wrote:

So learn to take a joke, @$$hats.


All you did was say he was a freemason. Where was the joke?

Additionally, all we did was ask why that was relevant. Why so salty?
User avatar
06 May 2014 11:57

Tenshi wrote:So learn to take a joke, @$$hats.

Image
User avatar
06 May 2014 13:00

I think the joke was one of those "Illuminati!" jokes going by the swirly eyes. That's how I read it anyway and then let out a little 'hehe'.
User avatar
06 May 2014 13:39

I still don't think "asshat" was called for.

Just didn't understand what the point of the statement. Nobody was unable to "take a joke", it's not like anyone was offended. It was just extremely random and irrelevant, so it was like "why are you bringing this up?"

Our responses were literally just "so?" and "what difference does that make, though?"

But yeah, I guess that'd be the joke.
User avatar
07 May 2014 00:45

MoldyClay wrote:I still don't think "asshat" was called for.

Just didn't understand what the point of the statement. Nobody was unable to "take a joke", it's not like anyone was offended. It was just extremely random and irrelevant, so it was like "why are you bringing this up?"

Our responses were literally just "so?" and "what difference does that make, though?"

But yeah, I guess that'd be the joke.


Your reactions were literally "What's your problem?" Nobody says "So?" or "What difference does that make?" or bring up an irrelevant celebrity as if it sustained some kind of point without trying to be confrontational. You're going full damage control on your kneejerk reaction over the possibility someone might have been trying to make a loose connection rather than noticing the blatant attempt at humor that flew right over your head, as pokemaster pointed out. Thanks for that, by the way.

Anyway, if you don't want to be called out on your @$$hattery, don't be so aggressive in your supposed attempts at clarification.
User avatar
07 May 2014 02:14

I honestly don't know how you read any of that as aggressive, or anything. You're just being a douchebag because nobody but pokemaster got your joke. There's no damage control. I just asked you a question, and you acted like a dick. It's as simple as that.

Nobody was attacking you, you're the only one being hostile about your joke. Didn't realize asking a question was OMG KNEEJERK REACTION.
User avatar
07 May 2014 05:58

MoldyClay wrote:blahblahblah

[insert unrelated celebrity] is a Freemason too. (implying that because Freemasonry exists and celebrities can be part of it too the point was any less valid) What difference does that make? (obvious aggression)"

Sugarcoat it all you want, you know what trip you were on. Calm down. You don't have to get so defensive about missing the joke. Not everyone is the next Stephen Hawking.
User avatar
07 May 2014 13:58

Or maybe your joke just sucked.
User avatar
07 May 2014 21:18

8 bit wrote:Please remove all of these reproductive organs from my mouth.


If this was about the joke being perceived by you as good or not, this conversation wouldn't have started out with a focus on trying to determine the reasoning behind it, because it would have been recognized as just that, a joke. It's pretty clear that you're just a butthurt troll.
User avatar
09 May 2014 00:22

solarisdeschain wrote:Good lord...


This doesn't concern him.
User avatar
09 May 2014 03:25

Tenshi wrote:
MoldyClay wrote:blahblahblah

[insert unrelated celebrity] is a Freemason too. (implying that because Freemasonry exists and celebrities can be part of it too the point was any less valid) What difference does that make? (obvious aggression)"

Sugarcoat it all you want, you know what trip you were on. Calm down. You don't have to get so defensive about missing the joke. Not everyone is the next Stephen Hawking.


I suppose you're the next Stephen Hawking, then? The guy who can't even articulate a joke that only one person got and immediately got defensive and called people names for aggression that didn't exist in the first place? Imagining inflections to turn a simple question like "So?" into a kneejerk attack?

What point was I apparently trying to make less valid? You stating a random fact? Do you think I was trying to disprove that Shaq is a Freemason by naming off another Freemason? I can't tell if you even know what you even wrote in those parenthesis.

"I can name random Freemasons too. What is your point?" That's literally all that amounted to.

I don't know WHAT world you live in where asking "what difference does that make?" with absolutely no vocal inflection implies "obvious aggression". It means exactly what it says. There's no deep anger hidden behind those words, as much as you would love to pretend there is.

Everyone here is calm but you, dude. You're the one who immediately started to insult people for not getting a reaching joke.

Nobody here cares what you think of Freemasons, if you think anything of them, or about your joke. We just didn't get what your 'point' was, why you were even bringing it up, or what it had to do with Shaq-Fu 2.

The answer is: It has nothing to do with anything. You wanted to make a joke you thought was witty, because it was an obscure reference, and nobody caught it. So better luck next time, I'm sorry your joke was so important to you that you had to react childishly when people asked you what your seemingly unrelated comment was about.

This is my last comment on this because, honestly, I have better things to do than run in circles with you about your failed humor from 3 days ago. I only commented this because I honestly can't believe you're still on this and that it bothered you that much. Let it go man, or go be mad somewhere else.
User avatar
09 May 2014 04:35

MoldyClay wrote:damage control


You are visibly upset. Calm down and you might be able to be rational about something.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way