Goriginal Content

EoD - TV Vs. Pocket

EoD - Warriors cast

EoD - SS motion

GN Podcast #466

EoD - Zelda music

EoD - Fatal Frame
 

Nintendo E3 2014 - LIVE Digital Event (live-stream, blog)



- no new Mario game today
- Smash Bros. on Wii U will utilize NFC figurines
- Miis playable in Smash Bros. Wii U. Come in three varieties. 36 special moves to choose from. Hitting 3DS on Oct. 3rd. Wii U slated for 2014.






- Figurines are called 'Amiibo', due out this holiday alongside Smash Bros.. Will also work with Mario Kart 8.



- Yarn Yoshi renamed Yoshi's Wooly World. Features two-player



- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker hitting Wii U in 2014





- Zelda Wii U due out 2015
- Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 in one package, including Nintendo-related costumes, due out Oct. 2014.



- Hyrule Warriors features 2 player. Midna confirmed as playable.


- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse hitting Wii U in 2015
- Xenoblade Chronicles due out in 2015



- Mario Maker confirmed as real, heading to Wii U in 2015
- Splatoon is an 8-player, 4 on 4 online multplayer game for Wii U, due out in 2015.





- Palutena joins Smash Bros. roster


Also check out:
Discussion Preview
71 total comments (View all)
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 13:05

Well this felt like a very anemic direct. That's not surprising since Nintendo is left to carry Wii U on their own. What they did show was pretty fantastic though. I'm sad that Metroid is still dead, although I know there's still games to be announced. I'm crossing my fingers for a 3DS game.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 13:07

Awesome presentation. I have to admit that the Yoshi and Toad Wii U games had me smiling the whole time!

My only complaint, is that they didn't announced everything there!! Mario Party 10 was just announced on the Minute Live, but it should have been on the Digital Event.

And the IGN reveal, the StarFox tease, the DS VC and other stuff, I think should've been on the Digital Event...
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 13:11

Looks like they have their 2015 lineup pretty much announced now. It was expected that nothing much else would get announced for this year. Splatoon looks interesting, albeit a bit boring. Kirby and Toad looked great though. Zelda was even more teaser-y than I expected - holiday 2015 at the very earliest certainly, if not delayed into 2016.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 13:15

Confirmed. Miyamoto is going to reveal three more games. One of them being Star Fox.

Why they didn't do it at the Digital Presentation is beyond me.

EDIT: Here's the link to it: https://www.facebook.com/NintendoConsol ... 7013012175
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 13:18

So apparently even with the onslaught Nintendo has pulled out, along with side announcements of Devil's Third and Mario Party 10, was not enough for Nintendo and their Direct to be good according to the internet. Apparently they all are too late in releasing the games and they did not have F Zero, Star Fox -AND- Metroid in the announcement that Wii U is still dead.

Also the internet is crying on Devil's Third exclusive.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 13:29

I gotta admit, I popped when he showed "what Zelda looks like". A huge "open" world Zelda, where I can waste literally hours and hours of time messing around and exploring, even moreso than I did in Twilight Princess? Yes please.

Yarn Yoshi looks amazing. And that claymation Kirby looks cool too, totally a throwback to that first DS Kirby. I love the art style of both these games, so unique!

It's definitely disappointing to see some of these games that I thought for sure were going to be 2014 titles pushed back to 2015......but this year is still getting some awesome games (including some, I'm sure, we still haven't heard about), but on the other hand, it's good to know 2015 is going to have a healthy helping of great games too!
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 13:41

I came away with mixed feelings. The good news is that Nintendo has a lot of good-looking new games in the works that will really beef up the Wii U's game library and I liked what I saw on offer.

The bad news however is that most of that stuff came with a "2015" label meaning we won't be playing it anytime soon let alone probably until sometime after the first half of next year since that is usually the case with Nintendo so the immediate pickings on the Wii U will still be slim for now.

Secondly, as a huge 3DS gamer most of all, it was clear that we got the shaft this time. There was no balance between a little something for Wii U and for 3DS. It was pretty much one way traffic for Wii U. In fact, no new major 1st party game was announced for 3DS. We already new about Smash Bros. and now I know why the 2 old Pokemon games were announced a few weeks ago. Filler for a otherwise slim rest of 2014 for 3DS. Plus, nothing to look forward to in 2015 right now. Nintendo should be able to support both platforms and not have to sacrifice one for the other which was clearly the takeaway from the Digital Event.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 13:52

FrenchFryGuy wrote:I came away with mixed feelings. The good news is that Nintendo has a lot of good-looking new games in the works that will really beef up the Wii U's game library and I liked what I saw on offer.

The bad news however is that most of that stuff came with a "2015" label meaning we won't be playing it anytime soon let alone probably until sometime after the first half of next year since that is usually the case with Nintendo so the immediate pickings on the Wii U will still be slim for now.

Secondly, as a huge 3DS gamer most of all, it was clear that we got the shaft this time. There was no balance between a little something for Wii U and for 3DS. It was pretty much one way traffic for Wii U. In fact, no new major 1st party game was announced for 3DS. We already new about Smash Bros. and now I know why the 2 old Pokemon games were announced a few weeks ago. Filler for a otherwise slim rest of 2014 for 3DS. Plus, nothing to look forward to in 2015 right now. Nintendo should be able to support both platforms and not have to sacrifice one for the other which was clearly the takeaway from the Digital Event.


I'm thinking they've winded down 3DS support, and I'm expecting them to unveil the 3DS successor and give the majority of their time talking about that next E3.

I'm expecting this strategy for the next 2 E3s:
2014 - Wii U focus, revealing most of the remaining titles, 3DS in its twilight
2015 - New Handheld announcement +focus, updates on holiday and early 2016 Wii U games
2016 - New Console announcement+focus, new handheld games
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 14:04

Did someone knows the name of the song that was played before the Digital Event start?? Love that.

BTW, love the new IP Splatoon, looks amazing and fun.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 14:12

Zelda. Oh my god Zelda. Dat Zelda. Holy hell. YES
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 14:12

Look folks.....3DS support is not "winding down". They focused on Wii U because that's what they NEEDED to focus on. In case anyone has forgotten, 3DS is doing just dandy, and has been for years. Wii U is not doing dandy. Wii U needs the focus. 3DS is still getting Monster Hunter 4, it's still getting the upcoming Pokemon games, it's still getting undoubtedly plenty of other first and third party titles. You'll be covered, so don't sweat it.

Let Wii U enjoy it's moment in the sun, because it needs it.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 14:14

Ugh. Good news: Zelda and Star Fox! Bad news: So many games not coming out until 2015 (and that's including Sony's and Microsoft's games too). Looks like the only Wii U game I'll be getting the rest of this year is Smash Bros. :\ I may get Hyrule Warriors when it's in the bargain bin; I've played enough Dynasty Warriors style games to last a lifetime, but it's Zelda, so I feel I MUST play it.

gbpackers31 wrote:
FrenchFryGuy wrote:I came away with mixed feelings. The good news is that Nintendo has a lot of good-looking new games in the works that will really beef up the Wii U's game library and I liked what I saw on offer.

The bad news however is that most of that stuff came with a "2015" label meaning we won't be playing it anytime soon let alone probably until sometime after the first half of next year since that is usually the case with Nintendo so the immediate pickings on the Wii U will still be slim for now.

Secondly, as a huge 3DS gamer most of all, it was clear that we got the shaft this time. There was no balance between a little something for Wii U and for 3DS. It was pretty much one way traffic for Wii U. In fact, no new major 1st party game was announced for 3DS. We already new about Smash Bros. and now I know why the 2 old Pokemon games were announced a few weeks ago. Filler for a otherwise slim rest of 2014 for 3DS. Plus, nothing to look forward to in 2015 right now. Nintendo should be able to support both platforms and not have to sacrifice one for the other which was clearly the takeaway from the Digital Event.


I'm thinking they've winded down 3DS support, and I'm expecting them to unveil the 3DS successor and give the majority of their time talking about that next E3.

I'm expecting this strategy for the next 2 E3s:
2014 - Wii U focus, revealing most of the remaining titles, 3DS in its twilight
2015 - New Handheld announcement +focus, updates on holiday and early 2016 Wii U games
2016 - New Console announcement+focus, new handheld games

By "new handheld", do you mean a 4DS or a revision of the 3DS? Because there's no way in heck we'll be getting a successor to a 3DS next year.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 14:25

cobaltorange wrote:
gbpackers31 wrote:
I'm thinking they've winded down 3DS support, and I'm expecting them to unveil the 3DS successor and give the majority of their time talking about that next E3.

I'm expecting this strategy for the next 2 E3s:
2014 - Wii U focus, revealing most of the remaining titles, 3DS in its twilight
2015 - New Handheld announcement +focus, updates on holiday and early 2016 Wii U games
2016 - New Console announcement+focus, new handheld games

By "new handheld", do you mean a 4DS or a revision of the 3DS? Because there's no way in heck we'll be getting a successor to a 3DS next year.


3DS successor. I've said it in the past, and I'm sticking to it - 3DS successor either holiday 2015 or spring 2016.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 14:26

After watching the amiibo trailer and going off what I thought I heard(either during the event or from Reggie on IGN) it sounds like the figures will have a "series" attached to them like the Skylanders. These figures are supposed to work over multiple games, but at their base, it's clearly the Smash logo. I'm wondering then, if this is the Smash series of figures and we will get others. We could end up with multiple versions of Mario, but they would all be compatible with all the games. It would just depend on what look you want the figure to have and that would be the series you go with.

Edit: I want to add that Reggie was asked about unified accounts and cross-play on IGN, and the way he talked made it seem like it's something in the works but nothing to announce right now.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 14:32

I'm just glad there weren't many Mario games announced/shown...well there were 3 (Mario Party 10, Mario Maker and Mario vs. Donkey Kong), Captain Toad seems, like Yoshi's Woolly World, a spin-off, but most other stuff was varied.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 15:12

Great show, entertaining and great content

Lol I like the people complaining about "2015" release dates. Did you really expect many games we hadn't heard of until today to launch in a few months?
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 15:48

KingJames7 wrote:Great show, entertaining and great content

Lol I like the people complaining about "2015" release dates. Did you really expect many games we hadn't heard of until today to launch in a few months?


We got 3D world last year after being revealed at E3 just months before. They will probably still announce some 2014 titles, but it would have been nice to see a couple eShop games that could have been quick to develop come out this year.

Also, there were games we knew about since last year that still wont be out until 2015, it would have been nice to get one or two of those this year.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 15:57

My body was not ready...
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 16:01

Well friends...

kicking ass. Taking names. Making games.
No Avatar
10 Jun 2014 19:09

that was a really nice package, i think those guys behind robot chicken helped or if anything those segments were quite funny
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 20:46

So my opinion on the initial announcements. I was almost certain Nintendo would announce some cool new things, like eShop level things, throughout. Every new game was an unexpected announcement. I always loved Captain Toad's levels and was sorely hurt they did not have more of them, and would opt to buy an expansion of them. I did not expect an entire game of him, though I fear that may be too much for a shallow mechanic, unless they have more to it they have yet to show.

Splatoon was by far my favorite thing out of this entire E3, right behind it being Sunset Overdrive.

I honestly was expecting Sony to take away a solid, fictitious trophy of the best conference this year, regardless how I felt it lacked a bunch of excitement and staggered the good stuff along. The way Nintendo approached the E3 Event Direct was something different all together, just the watching was a rather big treat.
User avatar
10 Jun 2014 21:01

My initial thoughts [hours old now]:

Spoiler:
Couldn't watch live. FUCK. The site is not made for late visitors... Just managed to avoid seeing things.

Haha. A puppet show, and one that makes fun of itself and its E3 / usual criticisms. I love it!

Iwata VS Reggie. WTH.

Mii [Fighters] reveal - I knew it! The three classes is a rad idea.

Mario NFC figurine. It looks pretty cool.

3DS version out in Oct. I knew it wouldn't be more than a month or two apart from the main Wii U version.

The sites video player kept stopping multiple times through... >->

Amiibo? Interesting name...?

Mario Kart 8 Amiibo - DLC characters?!

Yoshi's Woolly World looks GORGEOUS [and fun]!

Aww. That real life Yarn Yoshi looks cute.

First E3 pre-order for a 2015...

YES! Captain Toad has his own game! So. Good.

Also another game I wanna get.

Puppet Peach is terrifying.

Zelda Wii U looks pretty and vast.
Exploration is back!
That Spider-Bot and Link's Bow - HOLY shovel!

Pokemon ORAS looking ace!

Bayonetta 2 is probably too Hardcore for me, lol.
Nintendo Costumes for her too. My god. The fan art...

Hyrule Warriors - that playable Zelda! Another game I want.

New Kirby looks nice too!

Xenoblade Chronicles looks intense.
... How will they name it in the Uk and over in Europe, though
[same name for the Wii one]?

Mario Maker is a thing.
Nice of it not to be a Retro only served palette.

Splatoon looks nice. Paint Wars is how I imagined a Nintendo strategy / FPS game to be like.

The Squid and Person combo is a really sweet [and unusual] idea!

Such a fun concept for an Online focused game. I hope the Dudebros can handle it. :p

I'm game for it. 8)

Palutena Confirmed! Our first staff user.

... I want a SSB anime. Now.

WTH. Dark Pit is just an alt for Pit. Right...?
User avatar
11 Jun 2014 12:18

Dax69 wrote:Did someone knows the name of the song that was played before the Digital Event start?? Love that.


I was wondering the same thing. Did you ever find out?
User avatar
12 Jun 2014 03:11

I don't care what anyone says on any site about Nintendo's Live Digital....

This year Nintendo done did HARD as F*** and it definitely bested any other conference from anyone else this year.
Props to Nintendo on a job well freaking done! I loved every minute of that digital event!

=D!!! Lots to look for in the future including Hyrule Heroes this year? Didn't see that coming and my inner nerd was finally happy to year Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Duel Carnival coming in September this year. Finally after playing every Yu-Gi-Oh! game from every handheld system it was on (Nintendo ones) I get it for my 3DS and I'll even say I'll get the XL version just to play that game and many others I already have (and plan to get in the future!).

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way