Hello. It's everyone's "favorite" GoNintendo web guy!
A couple changes regarding blocking users and reported comments have just been implemented.
Updates to blocking users
GoNintendo has a user blocking system (also known as "Foes"). See those little eye icons with a line going through them on comments? This allows you to block a user. You may also block and manage your blocked users in your user profile.
Blocking a user does the following things:
- You will no longer see comments from this user. This applies to both comments in stories and discussion topics. Note that the blocked user will still be able to see your comments.
- They won't be able to reply to any of your comments directly. Likewise, you won't be able to reply to any of theirs.
- They will not be able to send a private message to you nor will you be able to send a private message to them.
All that said, the following tweaks to the system have been put into place:
- You are not allowed to block a user you just replied to in comments until 30 minutes have passed. Meaning no "I get the last word in and now you can retort."
- There is now a 15 minute cool down between blocking a user and then blocking another
- Once you block a user, you may not unblock them until at least 24 hours have passed
Be aware that the above timings may change in the future (read: Probably as soon as cortjezter finds my code)
Like always, you are never able to block story writers such as Rawmeat and Nintendaan or moderators such as cortjezter. (Protip: While I do have admin powers, I'm in neither of those groups... just putting it out there)
Finally, the following changes have been applied regarding reported comments:
- Reported comments will now show for all to see but will include a small banner over them. This is to prevent "censorship" or "hiding comments containing different opinions". Moderators will take applicable action as normal.
- Site admins now have the ability to disable comment reporting for a user.
As always, if you experience any problems, feel free to let me know in comments or on my Twitter. I also get notified on every site error that happens, so if you get a "BSOD page" for whatever reason, I'll know about it.