Nintendo sold over 23 million Switch games in Japan in 2021
Dominating the Japanese games market
The Nintendo Switch is leading the pack in Japan! Thanks to a translation from perfectly-nintendo.com, we now have access to a ton of information regarding Nintendo’s console and software sales in Japan from the past year. This all comes from the ‘Media Create White Book’, a collection of video game sales data for Japan, Taiwan and South Korea. The latest edition of the book was just released, covering January 4th, 2021 to January 2nd, 2022.
As you can see, Nintendo Switch dominated the Japanese market in terms of game sales last year:
- Nintendo Switch – 23,070,515 games sold
- PS4 – 3,695,693 games sold
- PS5 – 831,915 games sold
- 3DS – 62,571 games sold
- XBox Series S – 4,962 games sold
Nintendo also had a total of 525 Switch games making the list of Top 1,000 new sellers. Here’s a look at just the Top 10:
- Monster Hunter Rise – 2,201,544 units sold
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond – 1,118,240 units sold
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 1,064,417 units sold
- Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 1,053,174 units sold
- Ring Fit Adventure – 1,042,308 units sold
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 794,862 units sold
- Mario Party Superstars – 776,133 units sold
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 740,706 units sold
- Pokemon Shining Pearl – 731,667 units sold
- Minecraft – 709,110 units sold
For a LOT more data, including used games sales, third party publishers, hardware sales, and more, click over to Perfectly Nintendo and see the complete breakdown.
Nintendo absolutely dominates japan, ps5 os a BOMB
You're not wrong, but to be fair, I have good friends in Japan saying supply for PS5 is heavily constrained and most stores continue to lottery off the few they have. Xbox Series S/X even outsold it a few weeks back, which is completely unheard of in Japan against Playstation.