Marvel's Midnight Suns aims to combine card combat and dating sim elements
Do you think Dr. Strange is single?
More and more details have been emerging about Marvel’s Midnight Suns, the upcoming strategy game from Firaxis. In an impressions article from Video Games Chronicle, we get one of our best looks yet at how the game functions. While players might expect a typical XCOM style game with a Marvel skin, this one has a few new features to shake up the formula. Find a summary of what’s new below:
- You play as a brand new character to the Marvel universe, “The Hunter”, who joins up with the Midnight Suns and the Avengers to stop the villain Lillith.
- The game features classic costume options, as well as new ones designed just for this game.
- You’ll choose three heroes to play with at the start of each mission.
- Each character has ability cards representing their various powers and specialties, which you’ll be able to choose between missions.
- During a typical turn of the game, characters can use three of their ability cards, in addition to moving and redrawing.
- In between missions, you’ll be able to interact with the other heroes in a social setting, having conversations, or even just hanging out and watching a movie. Doing so will unlock new areas and make your bond with those characters stronger during combat.
- No content will be locked by choosing one mission or another. You will be able to see everything the game has to offer.
- A morality system will gauge the tendencies of your hero and how other characters view them.
It sounds like Marvel’s Midnight Suns is shaping up to a fun and innovative mashup for fans of turn-based strategy games, or anyone who’s ever dreamed of being pals with the Avengers. Stay tuned for more info, and hopefully for a more concrete Switch release date coming soon.