UK software/hardware sales for December 2022
Breaking down holiday sales
We’ve already covered the weekly UK software sales for the first week of 2023, but now it’s time to step back a bit. The number have been crunched, and the top 20 software sales in the UK for December 2022 have come in. You can see that breakdown below, along with some stats on December 2022 in general.
- nearly 6.4 million games were sold in the UK during December, down 8% year-on-year
- 2.85 million games were downloaded
- over 3.5 million games were bought physically
- if Pokémon Violet and Scarlet sales are combined, that game would have been No.3
- over 460,000 games consoles were sold during December 2022, down 17% year-on-year
- Switch sales were down year-on-year
- Switch was narrowly the No.1 console of the Christmas period
- 1.85 million add-on products were sold during December, down 11% year-on-year
That’s good numbers even with the downturn the industry is seeing.
"2.85 million games were downloaded
over 3.5 million games were bought physically"
Great to see physical games outselling digital games. And remember, not all games are available physically. A lot of those digital sales would be for Indies that are only available digitally.