Nintendo closes out 2022 on top
We’ve already covered what the gaming landscape looked like in 2022 for Europe, but now we have something a bit more specific. Today brings us the charts for December 2022, so we can see what gaming hardware and software closed out the year on top.
First up is the top 20 software for December 2022 across Europe. Please remember that Nintendo games included in this list only show physical sales, as Nintendo doesn’t share digital sales data.
Along with that, we have some data on hardware sales across Europe. You can find the bullet points on that below.
- 1.33 million games consoles were sold across tracked European markets
- this is a drop of 19% over the year before
- there was a sharp drop in sales for Xbox Series S and X and Switch
- PS5 sales were also down, but only marginally (down 3.4%)
- Switch was still comfortably the No.1 best-selling games machine across Europe
- 27.4 million tracked games were sold across European markets in December
- this is a drop of 13% over the year before
- 11.4 million of those sales were digital (down 17% year-on-year)
- nearly 16 million sales were physical (down just over 10%)
- if Pokémon Violet and Scarlet sales were combined, that game would have been No.2
- Pokémon Scarlet and Violet’s December sales are 5% higher than Pokémon BD/SP
- Mario Kart 8: Deluxe saw a big drop compared to December last year
- Just Dance didn’t perform as strongly this year
- 3.66 million add-on products were sold across markets, a drop of 9% from last year