Who should make the cut?
The nominees for this year’s class of the World Video Game Hall of Fame were announced Wednesday morning at The Strong National Museum of Play.
- Age of Empires
- Angry Birds
- Barbie Fashion Designer
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- Computer Space
- FIFA International Soccer
- Goldeneye 007
- The Last of Us
- NBA 2K
- Wii Sports
Three or four of these games will be chosen as winners later this year.
The World Video Game Hall of Fame each year pulls from thousands of nominations for the finalists for consideration for each class. Fans will also be able to vote for their choice as winner for their favorite finalists in March as part of a “Player’s Choice” ballot.
The Strong says the games that receive the most public votes formed one ballot and joined the other ballots submitted by members of the International Selection Advisory Committee, which is made up of journalists and scholars familiar with the history of video games and their role in society.
Like every year, the games were judged based on four categories:
- Icon-status: the game is widely recognized and remembered
- Longevity: the game is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time
- Geographical reach: the game meets the above criteria across international boundaries
- Influence: the game has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on popular culture and society in general