The Super Mario Bros. movie breaks multiple records on opening day
Too many records to count
Now that the first day for the Super Mario Bros. movie is officially behind us, we can see that the film has managed to smash records all over the world.
We now know that the Super Mario Bros. movie had pulled in $34 million internationally on its opening day, which brings the global one-day total to $66.4 million. That would also mean the movie pulled in $32 million domestically on opening day, which is ahead of the $26 million that was estimated.
This extremely warm welcome gave the Super Mario movie the top animated launch day ever in 11 markets including Germany, Spain, Argentina, Central America and Austria. Here’s some quick stats on records set around the world.
- biggest debut for a Universal title ever in Mexico
- second biggest animation opening day of all time in Mexico, only behind Toy Story 4
- best animated opening day ever in the UK
- biggest overall of 2023 in the UK
- Universal’s top Wednesday of all time in the UK
- biggest opening day for a Hollywood animation since the start of the pandemic in China
- second-biggest opening day in China for a studio title in 2023
- Uni’s best opening day of all time in Germany
- best opening day since 2019’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker in Germany
- second-biggest April opening day in Germany behind only Avengers: Endgame
- biggest animation opening day ever in Spain
- overtakes Avatar: The Way of Water and Doctor Strange 2 to become the biggest opening day since the start of the pandemic in Spain
- the biggest April opening day ever in Spain (No. 2 in box office behind Avengers: Endgame)
- biggest opening day of 2023 in France
- second-best animation April opening behind Ice Age 2 in France
- best opening for Illumination in France
- took 70% of the market in Italy
- biggest opening day for an animated movie in spring, and for a video game adaptation in Italy
- second-biggest opening day ever in Central America, behind Endgame
- more than double Minions and the Despicable Me movies in Central America
- top animation opening day ever for both Illumination and Universal in Taiwan
- biggest opening of a video game adaptation and biggest April animation in Taiwan
- best opening day of 2023 in Australia
- biggest ever for Illumination and top April debut ever in Australia
Finally, right here in the United States, the Super Mario Bros. movie now holds the record for the biggest opening day for a videogame adaptation, beating out Sonic the Hedgehog 2.