Switch was Australia's best-selling console of 2021
Another big win for Nintendo
Game industry sales in Australia for 2021 have been tallied, and Nintendo has yet another reason to celebrate. According to the data from the Interactive Games & Entertainment Association, the Switch was Australia’s best-selling console of last year.
In particular, the IGEA states that the Switch was Australia’s #1 console in 2021 in terms of units sold. When it comes to dollar amount, the PS5 managed to come out on top. That certainly makes sense, as the PS5 is considerably more expensive than the Switch.
The IGEA report also included a number of different sales stats for gaming in Australia, and you can find those details below.
- Australians spent almost $4 billion on the game industry in 2021
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Minecraft Switch Edition, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons were among the best performing physical games
- $378 million was made from physical games
- $556 million was spent on digital games
- hardware racked up $560 million
- in-game purchases topped $687 million