Sonic the Hedgehog 3 writers on requests for Amy, Crush 40, and Jim Carrey's return
The hype train has officially left the station
Patrick Casey and Josh Miller are the writing duo who handled the first and second Sonic the Hedgehog movies. The team is coming together once again for Sonic the Hedgehog 3, and they fielded some questions about the project in a Klamath Community College Q&A.
A lot of topics are covered, and much of the discussion is a bit nebulous, but there’s still some juicy tidbits to go over. First up, here’s some trivia and behind-the-scenes info from the first two films.
- with the first movie, the writers felt that the studio was not concerned with the source material
- the studio did not have a “notion” of how big the gaming community for Sonic was
- in the original script for the first film, Agent Stone’s role was smaller compared to the final film
- Jim Carrey requested to have someone to play off of in his scenes, which expanded Stone’s role
- Casey and Miller were frequently brought on set to help with the dialogue and plot beats
- Dr. Robotnik and Agent Stone’s dynamic in the sequel was in response to fan reaction to the first film
- one of their inspirations for Knuckles’ writing was Worf from Star Trek: The Next Generation
Next, and what you’re all waiting for, here’s the chatter related to Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- the writers can’t answer questions about Amy being in the third movie due to a non-disclosure agreement, but said that things are “in the works”
- the duo hopes they can bring Carrey back for the third movie, but said it’s up to him
- there are plans to incorporate Sonic Adventure 2 and the Shadow the Hedgehog spin-off game
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 is currently on what is called the “Blue Sky phase” of scriptwriting (this is where what a film could be is being discussed, and then ideas are streamlined)
- the producers are aware of fan desire to get Crush 40 to appear in a Sonic film, and the idea is not ruled out
- as long as the people got the appetite for the films, the writers will keep adding characters from the Sonic universe