Former Retro Studios dev talks Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze development, and distaste for rumors
The latest episode of the Kiwi Talkz podcast features an interview with Retro Studios artist Eric Kozlowsky. Eric shares a number of details on hi time at the company when he worked on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. You can see notes from the interview below.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was Retro’s first HD game
- to establish the game’s HD style, the team focused on DKC:TF’s mangrove area first
- the artists spent 1 month working on a single level
- crunch later in development led to one level being completed in two weeks
- the art team has plenty of ideas they want to do, but Nintendo has final say
- Retro laughs as the ‘stupid rumors’ that go around, but doesn’t like htat they create false expectations