1-2 Switch off?
There have been rumblings of a sequel to 1-2 Switch for awhile now. It only makes sense for Nintendo to make a follow-up to the Switch launch title, as it moved millions of units for the company. The thing is, these rumors of a sequel have existed for years now. What’s taking so long for Nintendo to put this one together? A new round of rumored info points to some development issues behind the scenes.
Fanbyte has put together a feature on the supposed troubled development of the sequel to 1-2 Switch, and they claim to have verified their multiple sources. That said, please take all this as speculation and rumor for the time being.
- the name is Everybody’s 1-2 Switch
- the developers have gone through multiple ideas for a sequel
- the inspiration for the sequel comes from Jackbox Games and the Jackbox Party Pack
- the sequel has a game show-like theme with a host and more participants
- the game uses smartphones to allow for lobbies of up to 100 people
- Nintendo EPD Group 4 was tasked with the project
- the aim was to create minigames based on international appeal
- the ‘host’ of these games is a bipedal horse that looked like a man wearing a rubber horse mask
- the host’s name is Horse
- minigames involve moving around the environment for things like Musical Chairs
- another minigame involves using a phone to play Bingo
- there’s also a take on Spin the Bottle that involves saying something nice about others
- the game play-tested terribly, with families/children finding it boring
- in Bingo, one player would use the Joy-Con to dig out a number before reading it
- play-testers found this element of Bingo to be tedious
- Team Battle Mode pits at least two teams of players against each other
- this mode features Horse, who would give color commentary during the games
- during localization, sources started calling the game “Horseshit” as shorthand
- Nintendo went so far as to print up game cases to ready the game for publishing
- Nintendo is considering still releasing as a standalone $60 title, while others think it should be a Switch Online Expansion Pack offering