Nintendo does it yet again
Another month in Europe, another big win for Nintendo. The videogame sales states across Europe for May 2022 have come in, and Nintendo Switch Sports ended up being the best-selling software. Along with that, the Switch itself retained the #1 spot in hardware.
There are a ton of stats to go over about May 2022 in Europe, and you can see all of them below. First off, let’s take a look at the top 20 software sales in Europe overall.
- over 7.9 million digital and physical games were sold across Europe
- this is a drop of 29% compared with April, and down 21% compared with May 2021
- nearly 4.5 million of the games sold last month were via digital download stores
- Nintendo Switch Sports was No.1, purely based on the game’s physical sales alone
- Nintendo Switch Sports has been very big in France and Germany
- France and Germany represent over half of all Nintendo Switch Sports copies sold
- Nintendo Switch Sports was also No.1 in Spain and Italy
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga was No.1 in the UK
- 297,000 pieces of gaming hardware were sold via tracked European countries
- this is a drop of almost 3% over April and 3% lower compared with May last year
- Switch sales were almost identical between May 2022 and May 2021 (135k)
- Switch has seen a 20% growth in unit sales year-on-year
- just over 992,000 accessories and toys-to-life products were sold across Europe in May
- this is a 14% drop over the same period last year, and 8% down compared with April
- 924,000 points cards were sold at retail last month
- this is a drop of 7% over last year and 11% down over April.
- average hours watched for Nintendo Switch Sports was double that of FIFA 22
- average hours watched for Nintendo Switch Sports was 45% higher than for GTA 5
- those who streamed Nintendo Switch Sports got the highest average viewership based on a fraction of hours broadcast