ININ Games has announced that the 90s arcade fighting-game, Cannon Dancer, is releasing in Q1 2023, for the Nintendo Switch.
After being released during the 90s fighting-game hype Cannon Dancer, also known as “Osman” in the US, slowly began to fade out of arcades due to the small number of units. Over the years, the title became a video game legend, with fans around the globe interested in getting their hands on it. Almost 30 years later, ININ Games has teamed up with two key members of the original development team to finally bring the game to modern home consoles: the game designer Kouichi Yotsui (also known as “Isuke” and famous for his work on “Strider”) and the artist Takashi Kogure (better known as “Utata Kiyoshi”).
The game will be showcased at Tokyo Game Show 2022, alongside a meet-and-greet with Yotsui-san and Kogure-san on Saturday the 17th of September at the ININ booth in Hall 2 D6. The exact details will be released on Twitter soon.
Furthermore, physical and limited editions for the game will be released by Strictly Limited Games, pre-orders open on Sunday, September 18th, at 12 AM CEST (midnight). The Limited Ediition will include the following items:
- Cannon Dancer Game + Game Manual
- High-quality Collector’s Edition Box
- Artbook (B5)
- Soundtrack in Jewel Case
- Tenugui (Japanese-style towel)
- Arcade Coin
- Acrylic Diorama
- Reversible Poster (A2)
- Arcade Instruction Flyer (A5)
- Calendar & Photo Frame (metal) with 2023 Calendar
- Marquee Sticker
About the game:
Cannon Dancer is an Action Jump & Run set in a dystopian late 21st century, in which the world is under the control of a single federal government. One day, a new threat known as “Abdullah the Slaver” - an evil sorceress who wants to take control of the world - appears, causing widespread terror and panic. This fear incites the abandonment of all economic activity and corruption in the government, which now undermines the foundations of society itself. Judicial Affairs Director, Jack Layzon, fears the worst and summons a lone assassin.
The player controls a Cannon Dancer called Kirin; a top-class agent in a mercenary unit known as “Teki”, and a highly skilled martial arts fighter. As he travels, he has to face not only Abdullah the Slaver and the government forces but also the other members of the Teki, who want him dead for personal reasons.
- Ported on modern consoles for the first time in history
- Classic retro games mechanics, praised for their speed and agility
- A total of six stages set in different, exotic locations
- Three different types of power-ups
- Tons of bosses and enemies
- Variety of wondrous retro scenarios and graphics with bright and even psychedelic colors, related to the final bosses of each stage
- Rewind feature
- Save and Load feature